Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Which of these would you prefer? On our property the average shot in the woods is probably 25-75 yards depending on where I hunt exactly. Mostly woods and one open field .The farthest I can see in the field is 302 yards. Even if I was to hunt another property my self imposed max range on any big game is 400 MAYBE if all conditions were right.

I have hunted with Leupold scopes before but currently own zero. Am considering the 6x36 mainly because I don’t think they make them anymore and I love the ER they have plus I like the small light weight.
Would you buy new or put WTB ad for NIB or slightly used with LR duplex if going the Leupold route? Or just get the razor?

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 03/08/21.
BP-B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Assuming you mean the FX-II 6x36...please pass me that one every time, every day over the Vortex. Thanks.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I a couple of both. Both have advantages.

Vortex- Glass is much better on the razor than the 6x36, The G4 reticle is a good low light reticle, very thick towards the outside of the reticle. Its a variable, so up real close you can set it for more FOV and have a little more magnification for working up loads etc. The clicks aren't really crisp, but it does seem to track reasonable so zeroing is pretty quick and easy. Very short scope, mounting might be an issue, although not a problem on M77 SA in my case.

Leupold. Its not as short, but its lighter and trimmer. The ocular is smaller on the Leupold so there is more bolt clearance. Its has gobs of eye relief. I find the adjustments to be a PITA on my FX2 6x36, Not as precise takes more time and ammo to to zero. Its not a scope I want to change loads with frequently. However once set has held zero for me well. I have the LRD and its a better long range reticle IMHO than the Vortex G4. A little longer tube so mounting is less critical.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Technoman26
Assuming you mean the FX-II 6x36...please pass me that one every time, every day over the Vortex. Thanks.

Yes I meant FX-II

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by noKnees
I a couple of both. Both have advantages.

Vortex- Glass is much better on the razor than the 6x36, The G4 reticle is a good low light reticle, very thick towards the outside of the reticle. Its a variable, so up real close you can set it for more FOV and have a little more magnification for working up loads etc. The clicks aren't really crisp, but it does seem to track reasonable so zeroing is pretty quick and easy. Very short scope, mounting might be an issue, although not a problem on M77 SA in my case.

Leupold. Its not as short, but its lighter and trimmer. The ocular is smaller on the Leupold so there is more bolt clearance. Its has gobs of eye relief. I find the adjustments to be a PITA on my FX2 6x36, Not as precise takes more time and ammo to to zero. Its not a scope I want to change loads with frequently. However once set has held zero for me well. I have the LRD and its a better long range reticle IMHO than the Vortex G4. A little longer tube so mounting is less critical.

Will the 6x36 fit okay on a standard action? I don’t plan to do any dialing with it. I have a Nikon 3-9 (I forgot which one it is) with that abortion of a BDC reticle with the stupid circles they used to sell.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I agree with noKnees but it comes down to what reticle you want. The G4 is very bold and is really a standout in the woods. If shooting 300 yards is your max., no issues there , just sight in with 200 zero. I have both and would buy another Vortex Razor HDLH/ G4 reticle.
The vortex is a lil short but plenty of mounting options and it does have a generous eye relief and glass is outstanding.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Echo what noKnees said word for word.

The 6x36 will fit a std action fine.

For where you are what your doing, i’d go the vortex of the two, and am not a vortex fan even.

The upside to the 6x36 is light weight simplicity with long mounting tube. The cons are flakey adjustments and shabby glass compared to about anything in the price range, and somewhat limited reticle choices. Have four up and running now, grudgingly, and serve their purpose, but wouldn’t be my choice for what you described, no.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Got a Leupold on the way from Camera Land. The way Leupold talked on the phone might be able to do reticle swaps again in the near future. At least that’s the way they talked.
I told them we want the LR Duplex back and that the power knob on the Freedom line is uglier en heck.

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 03/08/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you hunting out of blind or stand I'd either would work. If your tracking or still hunting I'd have gone with something with a lot more FOV on the bottom end. The VX-3 1.5-5 is a great scope, my nephew has one on his 242 for coyotes and deer in UT. I use a number of 1-4's on my combo guns and 300 yards on a coyote is more than doable. My real favorite is the 1.5-6x40, I have a half dozen by various manufactures on my coyote guns BA and AR's.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by erich
If you hunting out of blind or stand I'd either would work. If your tracking or still hunting I'd have gone with something with a lot more FOV on the bottom end. The VX-3 1.5-5 is a great scope, my nephew has one on his 242 for coyotes and deer in UT. I use a number of 1-4's on my combo guns and 300 yards on a coyote is more than doable. My real favorite is the 1.5-6x40, I have a half dozen by various manufactures on my coyote guns BA and AR's.

Around here mostly stand hunting. I don’t have near as much land to roam as I use too,
What make 1.5-6x40 do you use?

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
For 25-75 yd shots 1.5x would be great for the field of view. The Razor has great glass and the G4 BDC reticle is really nice and bold for quick acquisition and low light.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have owned both. If we were talking 6x with the LRD reticle I'd lean 6x. If the 6x has the duplex I'd say go with the Razor. The glass is really good on the razor and the reticle is quite good. You can dial with the Razor, there is no way I'd dial with the FXII. Those knobs go in the general direction at best. Once set it seems fine. I'd love to know the internal design of this and other scopes to better understand why that happens. As for durability, I think that goes to the 6x. I've had two Razor 1.5-8s, one came completely apart internally. The replacement seemed fine. The 6x has a solid track record over many years. I do really like that Razor, I could just never get over having one come apart on me which is why I personally would lean 6x. If my perception of durability is wrong, the Razor is really a better scope otherwise.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
What happened with the razor? Came apart while in use or ?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Technoman26

An FX-II over a Razor everyday?

Shaking my head...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have 1.5-6x40/42/44 by Alpen, Burris(2), Bausch & Lomb, Sightron, Meopta and Konus(2). Three have 1" tubes with duplex reticles, the rest 30mm, all but the Meopta have illuminated dots and the Meopta a Ger. #1

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by erich
I have 1.5-6x40/42/44 by Alpen, Burris(2), Bausch & Lomb, Sightron, Meopta and Konus(2). Three have 1" tubes with duplex reticles, the rest 30mm, all but the Meopta have illuminated dots and the Meopta a Ger. #1

Which are your favorites?

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by AKwolverine

Took a shot and pieces came loose internally. Internal lens(s) askew, attempting to adjust zoom resulted in crunching and grinding of pieces.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by prm

Took a shot and pieces came loose internally. Internal lens(s) askew, attempting to adjust zoom resulted in crunching and grinding of pieces.

What cartridge was you shooting?

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by prm

Yeah. That’s not comforting. Obviously we all know anything mechanical can break, but that wouldn’t give me a warm fuzzy feeling either.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
Originally Posted by prm

What cartridge was you shooting?

Kimber Montana 338 Federal. <6lbs. It's pretty snappy, though not a big push. As for the scope, I really do love that scope from a size, weight, glass, and reticle stand point. But when something fails on you, and I fully realize any brand/model can fail, it's hard to trust them. I think this is especially true with scopes because we actually know so little about the actual internal designs. Most just say marketing fluff like "shockproof" or some other completely meaningless nonsense. How many manufacturers actually tell you how the erector system is designed to inform you on how robust it is or how well it will function? Few. It's no secret, as I'm sure every manufacturer purchases the competition's scopes and takes them apart. But they do not share any of that with the buying public. Nor do most of us have the resources to test to any meaningful degree. How many tests actually evaluate a scopes ability to handle bumps, drops, or recoil? Most "tests" are glorified bird watching exercises. "Oooh, look at the glass..." I can see the glass and reticle, and evaluate dialing easy enough, but toughness and reliability is just a guess. Sure, we can do a bit of crowd sourcing to get an idea, but solid confidence inspiring data is hard to come by. I will give credit to Nightforce as they do produce videos that give you some confidence in their design. But even they leave holes in buyer data. Is an SHV as robust as an NXS at roughly half the price? Is a Vortex LHT a tough as an SHV? I can only speculate.

edit: being bombproof is not always that critical to me. But when I drive 2000 miles and then hike my a$$ many miles in to timberline in search of elk or mulies, I really don't want to worry about about some bumps along the way. That's what this rifle is for, hence my desire for a different scope.

Last edited by prm; 03/08/21.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
364 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 35 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,731
Posts18,400,859
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.