Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Do you guys clean more often the bore when using Barnes TTSX than you would a traditional cup and core bullet? I typically use Boretech Eliminator to remove the copper. How often would you clean if using a steady diet of these?

GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I shoot TTSX bullets almost exclusively. I clean My barrels with Wipe-out after every shooting session regardless of the particular bullet I shoot, I just can't put a dirty rifle back in my safe but I am very particular with My stuff and always take meticulous care of anything I own right down to My pocket knife and even My push mower... I know a dude who is a slob. he never washes his truck, he only mows his grass once a month and never cleans his rifle barrel's or even as much as wipes down the outside, his rusty rifle's look like chit but still shoot fine.....Good luck ....Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wait until accuracy drops off and shoot Tikkas. So, like not very often.

I do wash my truck and cut my grass though!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What is this rifle cleaning that you speak of? LOL.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I've used a variety of jacketed bullets, including TSXs and TTSXs. Copper fouling is copper fouling; I can't see any difference in cleaning effort or copper buildup regardless of bullet.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by lotech
I've used a variety of jacketed bullets, including TSXs and TTSXs. Copper fouling is copper fouling; I can't see any difference in cleaning effort or copper buildup regardless of bullet.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS

The old Barnes X had a reputation for copper fouling.

The TSX and TTSX solved that by having less bearing surface and-I think- a slightly different alloy.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don’t shoot my hunting rifle a lot! It gets the bore cleaned every 2 or 3 years whether it needs it or not. 😱 Honestly, I’ve not seen an accuracy deterioration, I just start feeling guilty! 🤭 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 03/09/21.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was more worried about buildup that could cause pressure issues? Guess I will continue as I have been. Can I switch between Barnes and cup and core without any issues or will I need to clean before switching? Sorry limited experience with Barnes, but now have to use them since I cannot find cup and core at moment.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The old TBBC and Swift bullets seem prone to more fouling than current TTSX due to their copper jackets and long bearing surface. But I don’t have a way to measure that. I use Bore Tech Eliminator often and J-B and Kroil for the tough jobs. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by lotech

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
THIS

The old Barnes X had a reputation for copper fouling.

The TSX and TTSX solved that by having less bearing surface and-I think- a slightly different alloy.

Absolutely. Add the lrx

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B3

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the help guys!

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Esox357
I was more worried about buildup that could cause pressure issues? Guess I will continue as I have been. Can I switch between Barnes and cup and core without any issues or will I need to clean before switching? Sorry limited experience with Barnes, but now have to use them since I cannot find cup and core at moment.

Switching bullets without cleaning is often mentioned and some say it decreases accuracy. This might be true in some selected instances, but I've never seen it in any rifle.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

I don’t know if still true, but with the original X Bullet it appeared to be so. Many years ago, I was told to treat the Barnes Bullets as though they were cast bullets.......thoroughly clean the bore of jacketed bullet residual.

About 10 years ago, my wife failed to connect on an elk ( a somewhat hurried shot on a moving at about 250 to 300 yrds). However, she felt pretty good about the shot. We decided to check the zero, and found that the groups @ 100 were easily double ( maybe 3x) the normal. I then remembered that we had friends over to the house, and we burned-up about 15 rounds of factory ammo that we were given! I gave the bore a good cleaning, groups returned back to normal. It may not have been a perfect shot anyway.....but have really poor groups didn’t help any!

Addendum: It was a pretty darn nice bull.....my wife was not happy with me! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good to know lotech

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Hopefully she will forget memtb? That is odd how cup and core effected accuracy.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

This was just our finding......with “her” rifle! I heard many times over the years, that bullets of different metallurgy though similar......may adversely affect the group potential! Maybe an old wives-tail....but, it must have had it’s genesis somewhere!

Possibly forgiven.....not forgotten! wink memtb

Esox357 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
🤗

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Do you guys clean more often the bore when using Barnes TTSX than you would a traditional cup and core bullet? I typically use Boretech Eliminator to remove the copper. How often would you clean if using a steady diet of these?

One of the true tests of copper fouling is the 243W. As noted the X-Bullets copper fouled like a mutha in every rifle I shot them in. The TSX/TSSX's/E-Tips don't foul as much but they foul more than conventional bullets. Where I can really tell the difference is with my 243's.

How often a bbl needs cleaned is up to the bbl and can vary quite a bit.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

One of the true tests of copper fouling is the 243W. As noted the X-Bullets copper fouled like a mutha in every rifle I shot them in. The TSX/TSSX's/E-Tips don't foul as much but they foul more than conventional bullets. Where I can really tell the difference is with my 243's.

How often a bbl needs cleaned is up to the bbl and can vary quite a bit.

I agree. if you have a nice slick barrel.....the fouling is substantially less! I had a friend that was getting terrible fouling and groups with the old, original X- Bullet, in his 25-06. I convinced him to polish the bore. After considerable “elbow grease”.....his fouling was reduced and his groups improved considerably! memtb

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,921 guests, and 1,235 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.