Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
a Tikka T3X Stainless? Looking for a standard bolt face short action.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Don't think they make a short action.

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've heard they don't make a "true" SA, but are there 2 different lengths, or are they all built on the same action? If they are all the same it might make this easier.

For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
T3 & T3x are all built on one action length for economy of scale.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The Tikka 595 was a true short action. Great rifles if you can find them. I had a LH 7mm-08 and like a big dope, felt like I needed to sell it.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, only difference between the short and long cartridge actions is the magazine and the bolt stop.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
So who carries lefties besides Europtics?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are a number of lefties on the rack in places around here. Tikka and Savage mostly.

He who laughs last is slow-witted.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Try Sportsman's Warehouse

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by NVhntr

We have one here, but I hate looking at crap that's on the wall behind a counter. We have a Scheels and other stores where you can pick stuff up and handle it without the "help" behind the counter. Since I'm not looking for one for me i don't go to any extra effort to check.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
The Cabela's here in Kearney, Nebraska has 3 left hand Tikkas in stock. They are stainless, fluted (I think), and have the camo stock. Not 100% sure on calibers, but I believe one is .30-06, one is 7mm Rem mag, and not sure about the other. 6.5 Creedmoor or .300 win mag perhaps.

They were priced at $950, I think. Not sure if Cabela's will ship to anywhere other than another Cabela's / Bass Pro Shop.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sportsman's price was $829 for stainless and black Super Lite (fluted).
Sportsman's was recently bought by Bass Pro so I would imagine their prices will be going up soon.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by antelopedundee
Originally Posted by NVhntr

We have one here, but I hate looking at crap that's on the wall behind a counter. We have a Scheels and other stores where you can pick stuff up and handle it without the "help" behind the counter. Since I'm not looking for one for me i don't go to any extra effort to check.

Was there today, but didn't look.Could look on Friday maybe.

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
So the local SW has the LH 308 and 6.5 Manbun in stock. Both super lites. This is probably going to end up a donor gun (because I picked up a 7-08 take off pretty cheap) but what says the LH fire? I've never owned a manbun but I have several 308s currently.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If you’re looking to try a 6.5 CM, get that one. They shoot crazy good and don’t lose much value.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Nix the Manbun, the 6.5 do nothing special, 6.5 waste of money, 6.5 flavor of the day, or whatever else you want to call it. If you need 6.5 go 260 Remington, if not I like your 7mm/08 option, great cartridge.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[sarcasm]That was helpful.[/sarcasm]

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
[sarcasm]That was helpful.[/sarcasm]

And what exactly did YOU contribute with your genius comment?

OP, Eurooptic is THE PLACE. You will be able to scrounge a LH rifle up somewhere in the country right now if you are determined, although most likely not at a give away price.
There are several 4 sale on other forums and I saw a LH 243 yesterday get sold in a small shop in WI and two others in MN last week. But, Eurooptic is THE PLACE.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There's probably a dozen around here, if one isn't real particular. Mostly Savage axis.

Problem is a lot of those places don't ship even to their other stores.So you'd need to find someone to buy and ship to you. Worst part these days is slow shipping and risk of loss.

Last edited by antelopedundee; 03/13/21.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by wizzer
Nix the Manbun, the 6.5 do nothing special, 6.5 waste of money, 6.5 flavor of the day, or whatever else you want to call it. If you need 6.5 go 260 Remington, if not I like your 7mm/08 option, great cartridge.

Hey skippy. You have a funny way of trying to get acquainted with guys on the fire. But since you want to be critical of the 6.5 CM, you likely know that it and the 260 Rem are all but ballistic twins. So by trashing the CM, you inadvertently trashed the 260.
And you likely know the benefit of the CM is it allows longer bullets to be loaded further out, not encroaching on the powder column. So why don’t you take a step back and start over again. If you want to extol the virtues of the 260, we’ll all listen, but to jump into a conversation the way you did doesn’t do you or anyone else any good.
There’s no harm in preferring one over the other. I happen to own both and like them both. And, you can learn a lot from guys like the Gael. He’s been around, been there and done that.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Get the caliber you can find ammo and brass for now!!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Originally Posted by wizzer

Hey skippy. You have a funny way of trying to get acquainted with guys on the fire. But since you want to be critical of the 6.5 CM, you likely know that it and the 260 Rem are all but ballistic twins. So by trashing the CM, you inadvertently trashed the 260.
And you likely know the benefit of the CM is it allows longer bullets to be loaded further out, not encroaching on the powder column. So why don’t you take a step back and start over again. If you want to extol the virtues of the 260, we’ll all listen, but to jump into a conversation the way you did doesn’t do you or anyone else any good.
There’s no harm in preferring one over the other. I happen to own both and like them both. And, you can learn a lot from guys like the Gael. He’s been around, been there and done that.

First off my name is not skippy.
And I am not trying to get aquainted with anybody.
I also was not trying to be critical of the 6.5 CM, my comments were meant to be humor, maybe you should examine your sense of it?
The OP was the 1st to use the term 6.5 MANBUN, yet you do not chastise him, nor your Campfire comrade the Gael for his "usefull" comment. I also contributed to the OP's question and I see you (and your pal) have not, so why do you all fit in so properly?
As far as 6.5 CM, it will NEVER be a ballistic twin to 260 Rem due to case capacity, period. Your long seated bullet claim to increase powder capacity also applies to the 260 if one is smart enough to ream the throat longer, which has been done for many years.
Now for BEEN THERE DONE THAT, I shot my 1st NRA highpower/long range/palma match 45 years ago at the age of 18 and started using the 6.5-08 way before Remington claimed it and changed the name to 260, and I still compete with it. I have never been bested by a 6.5 CM shooter yet.
IMHO my experience trumps thousands of internet forum posts any day, so no need to start over on my part.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Welcome to the fire. Now, GFY.

So we have that out of the way, you have great experience and I appreciate that. Your humor, however, was not evident. Going forward, I'll try to understand your descriptions, (6.5 waste of money, 6.5 flavor of the day or whatever else you choose to call it) as what it is.

Son of the Gael is a friend of mine and was being humorous, just like you assert you were. Finally, if you spend much time here you are going to be taken down often, especially with your "sense of humor".

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Wiz, don't take it so seriously, this ain't the place for easily hurt feelers, but I apologize for offending you.

I can be as Luddite as anyone here, but the whole 6.5 CM bashing thing just amazes me, who cares what you or I shoot? Heck, some of my best friends shoot .270's.

Never seen any one with a manbun shooting a Creed, I imagine they are pretty rare...Although a while back there was a guy at the range in dreadlocks shooting one and he was good.

Anyway welcome back to the 'fire, looks like you have been gone a long while.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Wiz, don't take it so seriously, this ain't the place for easily hurt feelers, but I apologize for offending you.

I can be as Luddite as anyone here, but the whole 6.5 CM bashing thing just amazes me, who cares what you or I shoot? Heck, some of my best friends shoot .270's.

Never seen any one with a manbun shooting a Creed, I imagine they are pretty rare...Although a while back there was a guy at the range in dreadlocks shooting one and he was good.

Anyway welcome back to the 'fire, looks like you have been gone a long while.

No offense taken, I simply asked about your response.
Nor am I bashing the 6.5CM, it is a fine cartridge. I do question your taste in friends.

Last edited by wizzer; 03/17/21.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Welcome to the fire. Now, GFY.

So we have that out of the way, you have great experience and I appreciate that. Your humor, however, was not evident. Going forward, I'll try to understand your descriptions, (6.5 waste of money, 6.5 flavor of the day or whatever else you choose to call it) as what it is.

Son of the Gael is a friend of mine and was being humorous, just like you assert you were. Finally, if you spend much time here you are going to be taken down often, especially with your "sense of humor".

Well I temporarily sunk to your level of intelligence, but then pulled myself out of the muck.

1st, your friend can speak for himself, which he did.
2nd, you seem to have some personal issues.
An apparrent lack of self esteem, and lashing out at others because of that, are problems that can be treated.
Perhaps you should consider seeking professional help, or maybe at least enrole in some classes on how to build yourself up into a respectable adult who does not blame others for their own shortcomings.

Last edited by wizzer; 03/17/21.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My apologies for my behavior. I'm not too big to admit if I've made a mistake. I hope you'll give me another chance to redeem myself.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Get the caliber you can find ammo and brass for now!!

Theres so much truth to this.

Awhile back i picked up a Ruger stainless Hawkeye in 270win. Ive found that 270win ammo was available so i picked up a pile as well as bullets to reload with. Its no longer the flavor of the week but remain widely used. This means considerable supply of ammo. Even now i see 270 ammo available ar times. In Dec i was still picking up ammo for $17.99 box.

As KK mentions, buy what you can feed or supply. Thanks KK

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ended up getting a 243 lite of GB with free shipping and no tax (that ends 4/1 BTW). All said and done it was about $70 less than buying local, even with the $20 transfer fee to my LGS.

BTW - I'm glad to see we can all play nice in the sandbox together. I was afraid this was going to go south like so many other threads around here. I too have nothing against the Manbun other than I really don't want another caliber to load for). It was just sophomoric humor. I think that gets lost too easily sometimes.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That'll work. Do you have a bullet weight you want to focus on?

B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Not Yet. Hell I may not even shoot it as a 243. If I cant get this Remington 7-08 shooting the way I want it to I may just rebarrel it and sell the 243 tube.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Sounds like you may be up to your ears in possible issues.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Got my Tikka in 30-06. Why? I'm a luddite at heart I guess.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Let us know how it shoots for you.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I for one found humor in wizzer's 6.5 Woundmore mockery. I've found that 6.5 CM shooters everywhere are an interesting cohort. They just won't suffer derision of their cartridge, and it makes them uneasy that other people won't fall in line to use and love them some 6.5 CM.

I know well the proper spelling and the reasons the CM is a great design, so no need to subject me to another dissertation on the virtues of the cartridge and all the dots it connects. I don't deny that it is a well thought out arrangement of powder and bullet that serves it's purpose very well.

From my experience, heavy .284 bullets are quicker and more effective killers on game; therefore, if hunting is the main purpose, in a short action I would go 7mm-08 twisted for heavy bullets. In the Tikka I would go 280.

Last edited by Starbuck; 03/27/21.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 16penny, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,248
Posts18,466,936
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.