Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Is their a system offered for sizing bullets "Without" a press....?

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
GB1

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
OK......soooo everyone reloads "Indoors". Does no one reload deep in the wilderness, using a rock or stump for a flat spot table.......?

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have made a few sizers,using mild steel 7/8ths-14 bolt and reaming a hole, that I drilled thru it, out to the diameter I wanted using an adjustable reamer. Then making a top punch to fit the bullet I am using.This was usually for older guns that had oversized bores and I wanted bullets to match.I used these in a std press,but I have one for a 45 that is just a block of steel with the appropriate hole in it that a bullet can be pushed thru and sized. I have seen hand sizers that went along with the old Lyman 310 tong tool and bullet mold.

Last edited by saddlesore; 03/10/21.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I guess you could roll them between a couple of heavy steel plates. Other than that there really isn’t a way to size a bullet without pushing it through some sort of die with some sort of press.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thanks.......I am setting up backpack reloading systems, for remote caches. I think that I will order the LEE Sizing die kit, and just set the die on a stump and push the bullet through by hand. I can't imagine anything simpler or easier, but thought I would see what is available.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You could try one of the Lee hand presses. Or you could borrow mine to try to see if you can push a bullet through a sizing die with it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Depends entirely on what the as-cast diameter of the bullet is, and what alloy it's made from (hardness) that will determine how simple and easy it is. You obviously never tried pushing bullets through a simple die by hand. Then there's the added "bonus" of lubing bullets while out in the bush.

The goal is admirable, but it also begs the question "why"? If you're going to lug all the components to load ammunition would it not be easier to just load all the stuff back at home and take nothing but cartridges with you? After all, it'll amount to the same weight and space, not to mention save the weight and space taken up by the tools too.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/10/21.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by gnoahhh

The goal is admirable, but it also begs the question "why"? If you're going to lug all the components to load ammunition would it not be easier to just load all the stuff back at home and take nothing but cartridges with you? After all, it'll amount to the same weight and space, not to mention save the weight and space taken up by the tools too.

The goal would be to cache everything, for future use. Not knowing what that future need could be, there might be wisdom in having the option to resize bullets for whatever is needed. For example you might cache .456 Diameter cast bullets, and several sizing dies in steps down to .450 Diameter.

Last edited by AGL4now; 03/10/21.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Just curious: how many .45's do you own with throats ranging that much in diameter? In a survival/evasion scenario when one would rely on gear cached ahead of time, it would behoove one to narrow one's needs and plan on taking to the bush with the weapon for which loading components were stashed, not a polyglot of stuff requiring a lot of different size bullets. Just wondering/wandering. grin

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Just curious: how many .45's do you own with throats ranging that much in diameter? In a survival/evasion scenario when one would rely on gear cached ahead of time, it would behoove one to narrow one's needs and plan on taking to the bush with the weapon for which loading components were stashed, not a polyglot of stuff requiring a lot of different size bullets. Just wondering/wandering. grin

What if the cache was for someone other them me. What if there were dozens of caches. What if the caches were intended for future generations. With .456 diameter bullets they could be used as-is in a .458 caliber firearm rifle or handgun. They could be sized easily to .454 or .452 or .450 (Giving flexibility)

IC B3

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I don't think you would be able to size .456 to the lesser sizes without some type of mechanical advantage (press). Your experience may be different.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Lot of what if’s. Just size some bullets at home of the sizes you may need. .459 or .460 for the .458 rifles and .452 for the .45 handguns. Stash the sized and labeled bullets in your cache and don’t over complicate this.

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by CasualShooter
I don't think you would be able to size .456 to the lesser sizes without some type of mechanical advantage (press). Your experience may be different.

Could you do it in steps of two thousands.

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by mart
Stash the sized and labeled bullets in your cache and don’t over complicate this.

Be "LESS" complicated to have one size bullets and only three sizing dies. Plus if you had six caches, it would be easier to just move the "ONE" needed die to where it was needed, rather then move many heavy bullets to where the die is cached and then move the bullets again back to where they started.

Last edited by AGL4now; 03/10/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
this reminds me of the old saw of "you can lead a horse", etc.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by deerstalker

Ergo, my tag line.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
AGL,
If you have sized bulltes before, you will know what force is required. If you have not yet, I suggest you try so you will know what you are up against. Then you will know exactly what you are up against.
regards,
David

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
AGL,
If you have sized bulltes before, you will know what force is required. If you have not yet, I suggest you try so you will know what you are up against. Then you will know exactly what you are up against.
regards,
David

Valid point.......I was hoping to avoid purchasing needlessly a set of sizing dies, but I will do that. I have never sized any bullets. Was simply hoping for insight if in a flat'ass emergency someone could maybe use a Lee .452 dia. sizing die, by setting it on a stump and inserting a .454 diameter cast bullet and using the provided "plug" to hammer with a rock or rubber mallet or ten pound sledge hammer to propel said .454 dia. bullet down to .452 dia.

This is "Not" precision reloading........this is "your ass-is grass" if you can't make bullets "close" to what is workable. Imagine you have enemy closing fast, your out of ammo, you just found .456 dia. cast bullets and one set of .454 sizing dies and a second set of .452 sizing dies. Your all going to be dead if you don't quickly make some .452 dia. bullets.

Last edited by AGL4now; 03/14/21.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Son, settle in your mind what weapon/weapons you will bug out with.
next find the bullet size each likes best. Cast and stash those.
you can shoot 451-452 in a 454 or even in a 458.
better yet get a muzzle loader. cast appropriate balls and make your own powder. that can be done in any bug out camp or even in a cave full of neanderthals.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ergo, my tag line.

grin grin laugh laugh
never read it before Gary! can i steal it?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have enough .452 bullets.
Thanks

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Son, settle in your mind what weapon/weapons you will bug out with.
next find the bullet size each likes best. Cast and stash those.
you can shoot 451-452 in a 454 or even in a 458.
better yet get a muzzle loader. cast appropriate balls and make your own powder. that can be done in any bug out camp or even in a cave full of neanderthals.

Could you not grasp that this could be for future generations......?

A
AGL4now Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
I have enough .452 bullets.
Thanks

All nice in one location......or cached if three or seven locations.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"Wow, Max, wasn't it great that guy cached all this .45 stuff for us way back when. Too bad we all have .223's and .357's. Oh well, lets scrounge up some more moss to boil for our supper."

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Don’t know if they still do but Lee used to make hand lube kits with a little pan, a sizing die and punch. You put the bullets base down in the pan and melted your Alox lube. You then used the supplied cutter to remove the bullets from the lube and punched them through the sizing die with the punch and a hammer. It was slow but it worked just fine. You could even seat gas checks.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Interesting concept. Since none of this is going to be a fast process have you considered a few different molds in various sizes? Aluminum molds for a few common calibers, eliminate the sizing issue. Toss in a few handfulls of assorted lead bullets that could be used as is or recast for your needs.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Interesting concept. Since none of this is going to be a fast process have you considered a few different molds in various sizes? Aluminum molds for a few common calibers, eliminate the sizing issue. Toss in a few handfulls of assorted lead bullets that could be used as is or recast for your needs.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AGL4now
Is their a system offered for sizing bullets "Without" a press....?

Yeah, pour them to the size you need.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Haven't split them up for now. Will do so when they are ready to launch (loaded).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 39 invisible), 1,922 guests, and 1,057 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,726
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.