Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I have a question regarding which die set will best suit my setup. I do all my reloading on a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker press. What I'm wondering is which die set makes the most sense for loading on a single stage press.
I bought a RCBS Carbide pistol die set 9mm Luger (20509) on here. It's a 3 die set which includes a sizer/decapper, expander and seater/taper crimp dies.
I had a Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 9mm Luger (90963) on backorder which was delivered after I got the RCBS set. It's a 4 die set which includes a carbide full length sizing die/decapping unit, powder through expanding die (used for expanding and belling the case mouth while charging the case with powder), a bullet seating die, and a Lee Factory Crimp Die.
I'm thinking the Lee die set would be useful for a progressive or turret setup and the RCBS die set would be a better choice for a single stage press as I would only have to change dies 3 times versus 4 for the Lee set. What do you guys say?
Thanks.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I haven't found the press type -- single, turret, progressive -- important when deciding about dies.

Instead, I've focused on the operations I want to do. For me, seating is one step, crimping is a separate step. No matter what. Hence 4-die set. Without regard to whether I'm doing it on a Lee Turret or Dillon 550.

-Chris

Last edited by Ranger4444; 03/10/21.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lee 4 die set for me. Am toying with getting a Redding dual ring carbide sizer die for my .45 Colt loads.

N
N
A 4 die set makes crimping so much easier.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would try both sets of dies and keep the set I liked best. I can’t see where press type factors into the decision. I prefer and use 4 die sets in both my T-7 and LnL.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
4 die set = better control over amount and position of the crimp.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
If I were you, I would go for the 3 die setup and this is why.

I started out reloading 45acp with a separate seating and crimping die because this seemed to be the internet consensus and not having a reloading mentor I didn't know any better. After loading a couple thousand rounds I began to wonder if I could seat and crimp in the same step and save a little work. I reload on a turret press so I turned the combo die down until it just removed the bell from the end of the case and the round would plop into the barrel. I have loaded another 7-8 thousand rounds since then without a problem.

It is my opinion that if you carefully set up your dies and forget about "crimping" you can probably load 9mm with a combo seating taper crimp die. If you can't make it work you can always buy a separate taper crimp die.

I think for the sake of new reloaders the taper crimp die should be renamed bell removal die.

I have a couple of 9mm factory rounds on my desk right now and I'll be dammed if there is any crimp in either one. One of these rounds is a hollow point self defense round that I use in my carry pistol. I have always wondered if you get setback from repeated chambering, so I did an experiment where I racked it in from a 1/2 full magazine 20 times and measured the length after each time. Guess what, no setback. Neck tension holds the bullet in place no "crimp" is needed.

So give it a try! A three die setup will may well save you 10,000 handle pulls in the next ten years.

By the way. I just started reloading 41 magnum and 45 colt about a year ago and this advise definitely does not apply to revolver cartridges that use a roll crimp. Those are a whole different ball game.

Bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A 3 die works fine *IF* your setup is perfect, your brass is uniform and you're not loading a round that may set back during recoil or loading from the magazine.

Try anything but a FC die in a 20 Oz 45lc+P and it'll pull the bullets and dump powder by the 3rd shot.

If your feed ramp sucks you may find you're setting bullets back during loading on some autos.....

But 90% of the time we'll setup 3 die sets will work perfectly.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I prefer the flexibility and no-fuss of a separate crimp die, thus the four-die set. But I load pistol rounds on a turret press. If I were loading pistol rounds on my Rock Chucker, I might think differently.

Last edited by sparkyv; 05/03/21.

μολὼν λαβέ
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
4 die for sure.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by sparkyv
I prefer the flexibility and no-fuss of a separate crimp die, thus the four-die set. But I load pistol rounds on a turret press. If I were loading pistol rounds on my Rock Chucker, I might think differently.

The Campfire forms needs to have voting options for posts so someone like me can just hit the thumbs up for "this was a helpful post".

Thumbs Up!!!

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by HaYen
Originally Posted by sparkyv

The Campfire forms needs to have voting options for posts so someone like me can just hit the thumbs up for "this was a helpful post".

Thumbs Up!!!

I thought a lot differently 33 years ago when I decided to get a progressive for pistol rounds. Conclusion was 4 die set requires 5 operations size/decap, prime, powder drop, seat then crimp. 100 rounds required handling the brass 500 times. 3 die set 400 times. Too damn time consuming plus more work. Even with a progressive I still only use 3 die sets and have for 40 years which the beginning was a time when you had to lube pistol cases. Nitride and carbide dies didn’t exist. Also never have trimmed a pistol case, let alone a 9mm or any case that headspaces on the mouth as they shorten not lengthen on firing.

Last edited by Swifty52; 05/03/21.

Swifty
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm a 4 die set guy, for autopistols, period.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I’ve only used the three die RCBS Carbide dies for 9MM. And I load on a Rock Chucker. It works great for me.

NRA Patron
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Since 90% of the 9mm's I load are with cast bullets, I need flare removal as the final step. Hence 4 dies. BTW, with a case kicker (mine is homemade) one can get thru those single steps pretty quickly. YMMV

Take a kid along.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve never had a major problem with three die sets for both .45 ACP and .357 Mag. It takes a bit of fiddling to make sure everything is right in the beginning , but once it is done it is pretty much set and forget.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I buy the Lee carbide crimp die for use in a pistol loading. It make my loading 4 steps. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Lee 4 piece set.....the FCD rocks.....

semi ammo runs flawlessly

Single stage RC press....no need to be in a hurry

Haste makes waste...

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I use a separate taper crimp die for autopistols. My original 3-die sets had roll-crimp shoulders in the combination seat/crimp dies. In my opinion, that’s inappropriate for autopistol cartridges. I want a firm, taper crimp. To get it, I trim my cases, when new, to a uniform length and just knock the burrs off, no real chamfer. I seat and crimp in separate steps, crimping to a specific dimension.

Mathew 22: 37-39

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Ranger4444
I haven't found the press type -- single, turret, progressive -- important when deciding about dies.

Instead, I've focused on the operations I want to do. For me, seating is one step, crimping is a separate step. No matter what. Hence 4-die set. Without regard to whether I'm doing it on a Lee Turret or Dillon 550.

-Chris

+1

I have used pistol dies made by RCBS, Lee, and Hornady. I alway crimp as a separate operation. Which means I have a separate crimping die. One advantage to this is that once I have the seating depth set - I can lock it down and it does not change. The same goes for the crimp die - once I achieve the proper crimp - I lock it down and it does not change.

I reload in bulk on my single stage press. I usually process and load in lots of 300. Because I reload this way, I might have several groups of cases at various stages of completion. Therefore, I have not found crimping as a separte operation to be more time consuming - but - adjusting and readjusitng your dies is time consuming.

GB

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 17CalFan, 163bc, 10Glocks, 52 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,695
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.