Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
I know how to completely disassemble my percussion revolvers and clean them after shooting. I know how to disassemble and clean my Lyman Great Plains Hawken Rifle (Barrel pops right out after you punch out two keys from the stock). But I'll be damned if I have any clue how to clean this custom Kentucky cap lock rifle. Apparently what I did last time I shot it was no good, because I just took it out of storage to find the nipple/hammer area covered in rust. I just poured hot water down the barrel, then some patches, then moose milk, then more patches till dry, then left it wet with Ballistol. I guess I didn't properly get the lockwork.

I don't see any way to remove the barrel from the stock. How is it done, or don't you need to do that with these?

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can knock the pins out and carefully remove the barrel, if that's what you want to do.

I use a flush nipple and plastic tubing to clean. I don't use Balistoil for rust prevention, I use a CLP gun oil.
Don't forget to clean the inside of the lock. Oil on the rotating parts and grease on the sliding parts.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
You can knock the pins out and carefully remove the barrel, if that's what you want to do.

I use a flush nipple and plastic tubing to clean. I don't use Balistoil for rust prevention, I use a CLP gun oil.
Don't forget to clean the inside of the lock. Oil on the rotating parts and grease on the sliding parts.

I've tried to remove the side plate, but can't manage to do it. Maybe I need to call Jack himself.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I know how I would clean it.

Plain water, tow, tow worm, and bear oil.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think Jack may have passed.
Anyway just clean it in the stock, pins don't like to be removed.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Terryk
I think Jack may have passed.
Anyway just clean it in the stock, pins don't like to be removed.

Thanks. That's what I figured. Unlike a Hawken rifle, these don't seem to be designed to be regularly taken out of their stock.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
best if you invert it while using water. that way you get less in the stock channel.
OR, send it to me and i wii clean it grin laugh

Last edited by deerstalker; 03/09/21.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by deerstalker
best if you invert it while using water. that way you get less in the stock channel.
OR, send it to me and i wii clean it grin laugh

LOL

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
leave barrel in the stock, take lock off. after a number of years doing this, im not afraid to use modern synthetic and petroleum lubricants and rust preventatives on my ML’s. get a brush and some solvent and go after that surface rust. ive gotten to where i dont use water at all on mine anymore. water just makes rust.

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
leave barrel in the stock, take lock off. after a number of years doing this, im not afraid to use modern synthetic and petroleum lubricants and rust preventatives on my ML’s. get a brush and some solvent and go after that surface rust. ive gotten to where i dont use water at all on mine anymore. water just makes rust.

What about "moose milk?"

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

What about "moose milk?"

ive never used it. i dampen patches with the old lehigh valley formula OR the hoppes blackpowder solvent ... both work great.

im not AGAINST any of the old methods for cleaning blackpowder. ive used the peroxide/alcohol/murphys mix for cleaning in n-ssa. ive used it without peroxide too bc some ppl think peroxide accelerates oxidation. i just think theres less science in how we clean blackpowder than there is with smokeless. and perhaps at the end of the day, thats part of the romance

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
R
R
Cleaning a traditional muzzleloader is definitely NOT rocket science.
It is generally NOT recommended to remove the barrel on a longrifle. Repeatedly doing that will result in the pin holes getting worn and thereby the pins eventually working loose. Also when replacing the pins it is possible to get a little off center when driving the pin home and that can cause some wood removal. However, I do remove the barrel from my longrifles about once a year in late winter or early spring after hunting season is finished and give the rifle a through scrubbing and cleaning at that time. Otherwise, I will sometimes remove the barrel if I have been out in the rain and the rifle was soaked. In that case I need to dry under the barrel.

To remove the barrel, first take off the lock. There is usually two lock screws that pass completely through the stock, sometimes only one. Next, knock out the barrel pins. Use a proper size punch and always knock them out from the same side. A nail can work as a punch. Just, first, take a file and flatten the point Put the pins back in reverse order. Then remove the tang screw. Actually it doesn't matter whether you do the pins or the tang screw first. Often the tang screw goes through the stock and into the trigger plate. In which case, the trigger mechanism will drop out if the trigger guard is removed. After the pins and screws are removed, carefully just lift out the barrel. Sometimes it may stick, but slapping it with your hand should be all that is necessary to loosen it.

Everyone has their own preferred method of cleaning a muzzleloader. Myself, I have a small bottle of a mixture of water and dish soap. I just dampen a patch and run it down the bore, over and over and over again until the patches come out almost clean. If it is a percussion, I take out both the nipple and the clean-out screw at the end of the drum. I use a pipe cleaner to clean inside both nipple and drum. Then, I dampen a patch with rubbing alcohol and run that down the bore. I believe the alcohol helps replace the water. Next, dry patches, as many as needed. Finally, oil the bore. There are many products available for doing that. Just put some on a patch and run it down the bore. I use Bore Butter, but I know some others who don't like it. I use the same oily patch to then rub all around the hammer and lock, and the whole length of the barrel. Oh yeah, while the lock is off, give it a good scrubbing using an old toothbrush. Oil it lightly before re-installing it.
I use furniture polish, neat's-foot oil, or Marvel Mystery Oil on the wooden stocks, depending on the original finish. The Marvel oil has a red tint to it so I mostly use it on the cherry wood stock of my flintlock fowler.
i don't buy cleaning patches, either. My old t-shirts work just fine for cleaning guns of all types.
I've done it this way for over 40 years. It works for me.

Opps. I ment to say linseed oil, not neat's foot oil. I use neat's foot on leather.

Last edited by Rancocas; 03/12/21. Reason: opps - mis-statement

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 1minute, 12344mag, 57 invisible), 2,815 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,877
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.