Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I can't believe there are people dumb enough to pay 7 - 8.00 per shell for turkey loads. I've probably killed at least 2 dozen of those feathered rats with ordinary 3" 1 1/4 oz. lead magnums. Either Win. XX, Remington Nitro Mags or Federal Mag Shok. Several of them at 40 yds.+. If they weighed 200 lbs., tasted good and had antlers I might consider more expensive ammo.

If that surprises you brace yourself... I know guys that spend 70-80 K on pick up trucks .

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by blairvt
What the hell is wrong with you 2 dumb asses. Go somewhere else and bicker

Took a good thread for people interested in 20 gauge loads and turned it into a bickering match.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by humdinger

Took a good thread for people interested in 20 gauge loads and turned it into a bickering match.

Awww, did we hurt your tender feelers ? You goddam pansies can take your sandy little vaginas and GFY. I'll post what I want, where I want and not be silenced by pussies like you and Remdork.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Awww, did we hurt your tender feelers ? You goddam pansies can take your sandy little vaginas and GFY. I'll post what I want, where I want and not be silenced by pussies like you and Remdork.

like listening to someones else's kids run up and down the aisles in Walmart.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

like listening to someones else's kids run up and down the aisles in Walmart.
Well if your candy ass can't handle it, stay the fugg out of Wal-Mart.

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Rug3
Originally Posted by Bclark
$10 a box rebate right now on Hevi-Shot. We use the 20ga 3” Blend. Gets the job done.

Where are these available?

I just ordered some from Cabelas about two weeks ago.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Rug3
$10 a box rebate right now on Hevi-Shot. We use the 20ga 3” Blend. Gets the job done.

Where are these available?

I just ordered some from Cabelas about two weeks ago.

Never mind. Just checked and they are sold out.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Midway has Blends, 6’s and 7’s in stock.

The 7’s are hard to beat. I’ve never shot the Blends. My 20 shoots the 6’s really good and the 7’s even better.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H

Didn't hurt my feelings at all.

You can post upstairs if all you want to do is argue.

Last edited by humdinger; 01/23/21.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Expensive, but I still shoot the TSSs.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tried out some TSS in my CZ today. With the Briley tube, the Apex 2 3/4” 1 3/8oz 9s are definitely a 50-yard load. The 3” Hevi shot didn’t do as well, even with a bit more shot. I’ll bet the 12ga loads with 2oz would pretty much vaporize one with a body shot.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Lots of folks toss out distances like 40 yards - few have ever patterned their loads. It takes a pretty good choke to make the typical 20ga 1 3/8 oz payload hold together for 40yds.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Here in California we have to use non lead for everything so I tried out the Federal TSS 20's the last two years and was very impressed with them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not only pattern, but POI as well.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My daughter killed a nice gobbler opening day with a 410 nitro tss 9.5

I have been loading 1 5/8oz hand loads in my 20s for several years now.
I’m not going to getting into a big debate but will simply state my opinion, the ammo for me is the cheapest part of the hunt when you consider time, gas and camp and guns. Why would one not use the absolute best one use. Even if it means costing 7-10$ per shell how many do you really shoot over the course of a year.

"If you got it, you got it!" In memory of Pops, gone but never forgotten
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hunt on a small WMA. The turkeys come and go as it’s an easy flight across the river to private land, including cropfields. Last year I heard zero turkey noise in two days, so it’s feast or famine. I want to make the most of my opportunities so use the best I can find. Like you said, ammo is the cheapest part. Plus, my only 12ga is pretty long and heavy. The .410 and 20 are lighter and shorter. No doubt someone will come along and make a crack about getting in shape blah blah blah, but exercise doesn’t make up for creaky old joints. Lighter guns make it possible to hunt longer and go farther. Lower recoil doesn’t mean much in the woods, but s nice when patterning. Lastly, as I said somewhere else, there’s a big difference between shooting hens or poults in the Fall and trying to head-shoot Spring gobblers.

Mule Deer’s article on hard shot stated that TSS for handloads costs about $3 a shell, so the price for factory isn’t surprising.

What fresh Hell is this?
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I scooped up the 20ga. TSS shells that were offered here in the classifieds. I agree that ammo is the cheapest part of any hunt, and have said it many times. I mainly hunt central WI where there's ridges and valleys. And they seem to have gotten higher, lower and longer over the years! A 410, or a 28ga, aren't an option unless the regs have changed, so I put together a nice 20ga 870 specifically for turkey hunting appreciating the smaller, lighter shotgun as arthritis becomes more and more a part of life. Looking forward to using the TSS after reading all the hoopla about it and, of course, hoping to have a Turkey in front of me to use it on this spring in any one of the 4 seasons and 2 states that I have tags for.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
It really depends on the range she can shoot and what the gun likes. I shot one with a pheasant load, federal #5’s copper plated at 30 yds. It wasn’t ideal, but I was pheasant hunting and the opportunity arose.

My 20ga 870 LOVES Hevi-shot #6, 3”. It’s much more forgiving than nearly any 12ga Turkey load.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by TNDave59
I’ve had good luck with the Winchester Long Beards and bought some for my daughter to use in her 20 this spring.

I have t Hunter with those, but they pattern well in my turkey swatter.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I see blackheart is getting slapped around by the old lady again.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 70 invisible), 2,508 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.