Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I've had one for a couple of years now. I had a nice old Ruger tang safety in .257 Roberts that didn't shoot all that well. It was about 95% in new condition. So I had it rebarreled to 7x64 as it was something a bit different. I used a 23 inch Maddco stainless barrel and had it cerakoted in midnight blue. It wears a Leupold 6x36. It is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned putting five 150gn Ballistic Tips or RWS 154gn Twin Cores under the inch at 100 metres (110 yards). I'm running H4350 as I couldn't get enough H4831sc or Re19 in the case with the long 150gn Ball. Tip.

Funny but I cannot equal the velocity of my 280 with a 22 inch barrel. The 7x64 has a lot more case taper. But it kills everything with one shot anyway so it doesn't really matter.

Last edited by Elvis; 03/12/21.
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I know you aren’t impressed with the Zastava’s but just for the record I bought one of the imports from Elk County Ammo & Arms in PA the fall of ‘19 and it sure did it look like much (lots of handling usage) but got it right around $400 and does it shoot. It can keep 5-shots of factory Norma (older ammo) in 3/4” or less at 100. I plan on refinishing the wood someday but for now it’s a pure hunter with no qualms about the weather or a few nicks and scraps. For those that like wood and blued metal it is an old school alternative to the “cheaper” offerings from the major manufacturers (and shoots with any of them)......just saying.

PennDog

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by PennDog
I know you aren’t impressed with the Zastava’s but just for the record I bought one of the imports from Elk County Ammo & Arms in PA the fall of ‘19 and it sure did it look like much (lots of handling usage) but got it right around $400 and does it shoot. It can keep 5-shots of factory Norma (older ammo) in 3/4” or less at 100. I plan on refinishing the wood someday but for now it’s a pure hunter with no qualms about the weather or a few nicks and scraps. For those that like wood and blued metal it is an old school alternative to the “cheaper” offerings from the major manufacturers (and shoots with any of them)......just saying.

PennDog

Penn - I've bought quite a few Zastavas from ECAA to rehab and refinish and still have a 243 with its original sights and hood that I'll probably never let go. I don't have anything against the lkm70s just wish I could snag a m70 fwt or m77 in 7x64 too.

Reading through the thread makes me regret selling the Zastava even more!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by patbrennan
Originally Posted by clockwork_7mm
A while back I rehabbed and then sold a 7x64 Brenneke (98 clone). I've sort of regretted it ever since, though I do wish I could find a nicer factory rifle than the Zastava chambered in it. Anybody hunting with the 7x64 -- or know if any of the major American manufacturers ever toyed with it?

Brno made models 21/22 in 7x64.

Also ZG47 and ZKK series.

Had a chance to get one of those Brno 21s in 7x64 ( well experience) but was not able to swing it at the time. Lots of time to regret that one!

I have been fortunate in that I have been able to salt away three model 21s in 7x64, two with round bolt handle and one with spoon.

I would just as soon have a single ZKK 601 with pop up peep in .308 though.

Similar here... fortunate to have a couple Brno 21's and ZG47's in 7X64.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Whitebird
Originally Posted by patbrennan
A while back I rehabbed and then sold a 7x64 Brenneke (98 clone). I've sort of regretted it ever since, though I do wish I could find a nicer factory rifle than the Zastava chambered in it. Anybody hunting with the 7x64 -- or know if any of the major American manufacturers ever toyed with it?

Brno made models 21/22 in 7x64.

Also ZG47 and ZKK series.

Had a chance to get one of those Brno 21s in 7x64 ( well experience) but was not able to swing it at the time. Lots of time to regret that one!

I have been fortunate in that I have been able to salt away three model 21s in 7x64, two with round bolt handle and one with spoon.

I would just as soon have a single ZKK 601 with pop up peep in .308 though.

Similar here... fortunate to have a couple Brno 21's and ZG47's in 7X64.

Well, if you go to unload one, you know who to PM first haha.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I would be betting that if Bird owns them they are dressed to the nines and would require a significant bank loan.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C

I would be betting that if Bird owns them they are dressed to the nines and would require a significant bank loan.

Don't you know how much college professors get paid?! 😂😇

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

No idea as I am just a lowly shitkicker holding the bottom of the ladder steady for all you rich toffs.

Thought these may interest you 'til Bird shews us the goods.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by JSTUART; 03/13/21.

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C

No idea as I am just a lowly shitkicker holding the bottom of the ladder steady for all you rich toffs.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Good looking rifles.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

To be honest they are sort of wasted on me as I just like to walk across the paddock and shoot rabbits with them.

It amuses me.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C

To be honest they are sort of wasted on me as I just like to walk across the paddock and shoot rabbits with them.

It amuses me.

Well if you decide to sell one give me a shout.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a Ruger 77 T/S Round top action in 7x64. Can't say how it shoots... Never shot it...

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

C
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Grasshopper
I have a Ruger 77 T/S Round top action in 7x64. Can't say how it shoots... Never shot it...

Sent you a pm, gh.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have used various 7x64's for quite a few years. I really like the cartridge. I currently hunt with a Sako M85 Bavarian in 7x64, and a Mannlicher Schoenauer Model GK full stock carbine. The Mannlicher is waiting for a new scope to go into the claw mounts, but hope it's ready to go this fall. I had two Brno Model 21H's in 7x64 - wonderful rifle and cartridge combination. I also had ( for a short time) a beautiful GECO custom M98. That one is for sale at Martini Gunmakers right now. I've used the cartridge mostly for elk, but also whitetails and mule deer. Works for me.
Don't look to USA manufacturers if you want to buy a nice 7x64, look to Europe. They've been chambering very fine rifles for that cartridge for more than a century.

Last edited by castnblast; 03/13/21.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I have two 7X64's... a CZ 550 Lux and a Ruger M77 Mark II... it is a great cartridge, puts a smack down on deer... I shot Sellier & Bellot 173 grain Torpedo rounds for a couple years just to harvest brass, but they are excellent hunting loads, a couple good sized bears bought the farm from 250 yards on stalks in berry patches.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had a Weatherby Europa in one fir a while. It was made in Germany by Sauer I believe and had a set triggers. I also had one in 8x68S.

Bb

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My local sportsman’s has 7x64 140 core lokts for $29.99 a box. Apparently no one around here has one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I own two, but both of them are the rimmed version, 7X65R. The Brenneke is a great round, rimmed or rimless. cool

Merkel 90 in 12/12/7X65R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Kreighoff Trumpf Dural 16/16/7X65R
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Real rifles are beautiful.

Exceptional real rifles look like these.

cool cool

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Would it be sacrilege to suggest that the 7x64 B needs an “improved” update ?
Say 30 - 35 degrees, and a .460” shoulder diameter to take the excess taper out ...
This is in contrast to the 20 degree, .425” shoulder that feeds so well 😉

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

220 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 13 invisible), 1,397 guests, and 909 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,301
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.