Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Phasmid Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
In the past I would just make a staff/cane out of a piece of wood when I wanted extra stability, i.e. packing meat off trail. As I am getting older I see the advantage of using adjustable hiking poles. Any suggestion on brands and models to try or those to stay away from?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

BP-B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i have a pair of the cheap costco carbon fibers. ive been very very pleased. very sturdy, real cork handles. currently on sale for 2 pair for 70 bucks

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Leki - micro vario carbons

8 years? of backpacking and hunting on the same pair.

Pitter Patter!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Black diamonds.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Phasmid
In the past I would just make a staff/cane out of a piece of wood when I wanted extra stability, i.e. packing meat off trail. As I am getting older I see the advantage of using adjustable hiking poles. Any suggestion on brands and models to try or those to stay away from?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Lots of choices, both alum and carbon fiber.

Carbon fiber is lighter but can break easier especially in sub zero weather. I have a pair of carbon fiber Eastons that have served me well. Cam locs or flick type locks seem to work better than twist locs.

I also have alum trekking poles and use them as wading staffs mostly.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Flip locks. I've had twist locks get water in them and freeze. You can't adjust them until they thaw out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I've beat on a set of Leki Makalus for several years now, and they're still going strong.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two sets of Leki. One is the heavier aluminum and then the lighter weight set. Flip locks. I havent broke any to date but I imagine if I ever get one wedged between two rocks and use it for a pry bar my big arse will bend it. I actually like the heavier set better but it might be I am just used to them.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Both make noise when whacked on rocks but aluminum is worse. The worst part of the noise seems to be the lower shaft rattling inside the upper.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have Black Diamonds and the Costco ones. For around $30, give the Costco sticks a try. I've used them plenty for summertime hiking. Good value for the price.

IC B3

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I use Leki carbon micros and like them a lot. My guide on a recent Dall Sheep hunt used cheap Costco ones and after seeing them in use, I would not spend the $200+ on the Leki. We used the Costco ones as our tent pole as well and they were just as good as the Leki.

P
Phasmid Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Good information to know about the twist lock freezing up in cold wet weather. This information give me a place to start from.Thanks to all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll start with which ones to avoid first- Black Diamond Z poles; the first one I broke was fording a (albeit swift) stream, which left me with one pole w/ 80+ miles to go on a trip; Black Diamond was good about warrantying it, but this time I went with the heaviest duty aluminum Z pole they made, bent one of those early on a winter trip- no fun snowshoeing with one trekking pole! Both poles failed at the same location. I will say that I still have a pair, the first pair of Z poles I purchased- the very lightweight carbon ones they make- these are reserved for light & fast outings ON trail only- definitely not a hunting suitable pole. It's a really cool design, but after two losses not going to risk them again.

I've now got a pair of Black Diamond Carbon Corks that replaced the last pair of z-poles, the FlickLock setup while not as handy as the Z folding ones, is much sturdier and less prone to failure- these are the ones I now use hunting (and hiking if there is going to be a lot of off trail stuff). My other pair that I use mostly in the winter is their two piece Traverse ski pole- extra stout and can take their whippet attachment.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Any of them can break if you stick it between 2 big rocks as you're falling down. Some of us know these things.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Any of them can break if you stick it between 2 big rocks as you're falling down. Some of us know these things.

ahhh- that's how you become oracle

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
bd flip locks. Costco are decent for the money have broke 2 pair but I'm pretty rough on them

Get cork grips

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

Indeed, or if you're stable and the scree slides on you....grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Some of you have had better luck w the Costco sticks than I. The twist locks went out in short order on 3 of 4 sticks. Will not spend money on them again.

They need replacing, so watching this thread.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Black Diamond aluminum flick locks for me. I need a new pair too. The Costco ones are lighter, but it sucks when they break.

Last edited by cwh2; 03/14/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use the weaver leather CF showstick cow pokers. One piece, non-collapsible and I've never broke one..... with the Wiser coupler, they make a damn good set of shooting sticks.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I use the weaver leather CF showstick cow pokers..

Yeah but you're a cow poke.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
think multi-use here.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Kinda like those little rubber bands you use to hold the sticks together when you shoot acrost 'em??

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Both make noise when whacked on rocks but aluminum is worse. The worst part of the noise seems to be the lower shaft rattling inside the upper.

Wife bought a set of no name aluminum cam lock poles for fun
I thought the idea was silly.
Until I used one. Really sold on the idea now, but not a fan of the rattle created just using them walking down a trail.

Is there a brand or material that is quieter in use??
Not whacking rocks here, just using while walking.

Thanks

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by adkshootr
I've beat on a set of Leki Makalus for several years now, and they're still going strong.

Have them for years and they survive everything. Used them for hiking in the German and Austrian Alps as well on driven hunts. But don't take adjustable hiking poles with spring-loaded cushions. I personally don't feel safe when I expect immediate support and the pole sinks down even a few inches.

Elmer Keith
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BD Carbon Cork for me.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The one piece Ultimate Direction FK Carbon One Piece Trekking Pole is awesome. I've been using it a couple of years now and it's lighter, stiffer, and stronger than anything adjustable. Best feel/feedback by far. I broke two pair of adjustable length poles this past season (pop out pins broke).

That said, it's not adjustable and doesn't break down to strap to a pack. Love using it, hate carrying it.

I started using one of the Ultimate Direction FK Ultra Poles Carbon (breakdown but set length) as a pair with one of the Ultimate Direction FK Carbon One Piece Trekking Poles the last month of this past season. This way I could have 1 pole broken down and attached to the pack while using a single pole and still hunting.....or have both poles when walking in. I think this may be my go to setup from now on.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by gitem_12
i have a pair of the cheap costco carbon fibers. ive been very very pleased. very sturdy, real cork handles. currently on sale for 2 pair for 70 bucks

+1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
Originally Posted by adkshootr

Have them for years and they survive everything. Used them for hiking in the German and Austrian Alps as well on driven hunts. But don't take adjustable hiking poles with spring-loaded cushions. I personally don't feel safe when I expect immediate support and the pole sinks down even a few inches.
I tried some cheap ones with those cushions and didn't like them at all. They just didn't feel like they had any support. When I push down to hoist myself over a rock, I want to get lifted, not play bouncy bouncy.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My wife uses Black Diamond Carbon Cork's.

I don't hike with poles, but do have BD Carbon Cork's for snowshoeing.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I hunt with them also use them for shooting sticks, cant see the need for shooting sticks when you have hiking poles.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kk alaska
I hunt with them also use them for shooting sticks, cant see the need for shooting sticks when you have hiking poles.
I carry just 1. It's great for hiking and I've learned to use it as a shooting stick by propping it against something else, from my leg to a bush, whatever's available. Trying to fumble with 2 poles and a rifle is more trouble than it's worth.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not when they are ganged together...... and faster and easier than trying to find 'something else' to prop it against.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How far will you hike and is money an object?

Then you narrow your choice again.

How much do you weigh and will the hills be steep or rocky?

Meat packing, I might go with aluminum for the sake of an extra heavy load might snap an ultralight carbon fiber set.

I've hauled a maximum me plus load of three hundred with top quality carbons, BUT there were no places the tip might get jambed, I didn't use them the same as usual, just wanted stress off of the knees and heart rate down. Not a good habit to use if you have big weight. Aluminum poles can be had cheap and plentiful.

Benefits to CF:
1. Uber light and makes a difference past the first couple miles.
2. Responsive with less flex. Much better feel.
3. No vibration fatigue. Aluminum vibrates badly and especially on hard pack and rocks.
4. Best for scouting. No comparison as to which is overall better. Limitation is mainly weight stress.

This may help.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've had a pair of Leki's for 15 years or more that I like for trail hiking. Mine are aluminum, or some metal, and I used them on week long hunts a few times. Using sticks on downhill keeps my knee pain from developing.

For hunting I have come back to wood, however. Wood is quieter when I bang it on things as I am prone to do, and my homemade sticks are not much loss if I go off and leave one after a calling stand or break for lunch, etc. ( I doubled back 3 miles to retrieve my Lekis one time, 6 miles return).

In the PNW, wild hazelnut is my best source of straight strong walking sticks. I have shot several critters off of my walking stick as as steady, plus for the past ten years or so I really need a stick for stable walking on uneven ground. After eye surgeries I prefer a long stick to touch things and confirm depth perception, so I like a stick that is 6 feet long, to reach well down on steep ground.

I used to just pick up a stick but good ones are scarce sometimes so I have taken to bringing good ones home. Plus at several local trail heads and hunt spots I have a stick propped behind a tree, ready for my next jaunt at that place.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Bumping this thread...

Twist lock vs. lever lock
Preference?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
External locks and by a lot.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

It really sucks if your halfway across the river.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ironbender
Bumping this thread...

Preference?

lever by a long shot

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mtwarden
Bumping this thread...

Preference?

lever by a long shot
Agreed

I have some that are folding. They're shock corded so you just pull them apart and fold them up to 1/3 length. They have 1 fliplock instead of 2 so they have a more limited adjustment range but they're handy. A minor issue is if the point gets stuck in mud or something. It's more difficult to pull out because the pole will come apart.

[Linked Image from premieroutdoorgear.com]

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

Meat packing, I might go with aluminum for the sake of an extra heavy load might snap an ultralight carbon fiber set.

I'

Sounds like you really load 'em up Happy. Just curious, have you ever snapped one? I mean just under the weight of the load, not getting it down between two rocks?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bumping this thread...

Preference?

lever by a long shot

Yup

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll usually pull one or two out a beaver dam as I'm passing by. They collect them and clean all the bark off 'em and always pick just the right diameter. Good selection of various lengths and life time free replacement guarantee. No questions asked.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by cwh2
External locks and by a lot.

Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Bumping this thread...

Preference?

lever by a long shot

Yup

Thanks, guys.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole

I'

Sounds like you really load 'em up Happy. Just curious, have you ever snapped one? I mean just under the weight of the load, not getting it down between two rocks?

Sorry this thread slipped my mind and didn't check back sooner. Speaking of slipping, the twist locks on some have reported slippage under heavy loads. I have that kind and it only happened once. It took almost half an hour to carefully take the section apart, clean it and reassemble. It worked ever since. I think most get frustrated and replace them if that happens. That said, the clip lock version seems preferred in the reviews.
I've got an REI Branded Komperdell made set that's one of the lightest of the carbon fiber. They really aren't intended for heavy loads, but have been pushed and held up so far. I always wince when they drop between a section of loose rocks. Then I'm reminded to carry them until the trail clears up.

That said, I would probably opt for and put up with the vibration of aluminum poles for heavier loads on longer distance hunts. They are also best for those rocky areas and stream crossings. It just makes sense to take less risk when you really must depend on them for those occasional elk hunts.
My hunting style is local now, so it's not been an issue lately.

Last edited by Happy_Camper; 05/11/21.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Bumping this thread...

Preference?

lever by a long shot

Yup

For sure.

Black Diamond Trail Ergo Cork have treated me very well. Went on a backpacking trip recently where I’d have really been bad off w/o poles and nearly as bad off with the Kelty aluminum twist locks I had when I was first trying out trekking poles.

BD = buy once cry once

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I'll start with which ones to avoid first- Black Diamond Z poles; the first one I broke was fording a (albeit swift) stream, which left me with one pole w/ 80+ miles to go on a trip; Black Diamond was good about warrantying it, but this time I went with the heaviest duty aluminum Z pole they made, bent one of those early on a winter trip- no fun snowshoeing with one trekking pole! Both poles failed at the same location. I will say that I still have a pair, the first pair of Z poles I purchased- the very lightweight carbon ones they make- these are reserved for light & fast outings ON trail only- definitely not a hunting suitable pole. It's a really cool design, but after two losses not going to risk them again.

I've now got a pair of Black Diamond Carbon Corks that replaced the last pair of z-poles, the FlickLock setup while not as handy as the Z folding ones, is much sturdier and less prone to failure- these are the ones I now use hunting (and hiking if there is going to be a lot of off trail stuff). My other pair that I use mostly in the winter is their two piece Traverse ski pole- extra stout and can take their whippet attachment.

I hate those zpoles as well. Not werth a [bleep]. Just the regular Black Diamond Trails are decent(AL) and bombproof.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gitem_12

same, mine were under $30 and could not break them over 120 miles of hiking last summer. Typically only use one.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Bumping this thread...

Preference?

lever by a long shot
Agreed

I have some that are folding. They're shock corded so you just pull them apart and fold them up to 1/3 length. They have 1 fliplock instead of 2 so they have a more limited adjustment range but they're handy. A minor issue is if the point gets stuck in mud or something. It's more difficult to pull out because the pole will come apart.

[Linked Image from premieroutdoorgear.com]
As an addition to my earlier post: These folding poles are quieter. A big share of the noise is the pole sections rattling around inside each other. Folding poles have only 1 joint that way so there's less to rattle.

― George Orwell

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Costco carbon fiber poles. IMO I wouldn’t spend more, and I’ve had some nicer ones.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Has anyone tried the Black Ovis carbon fiber trekking poles?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Gunaddict
Has anyone tried the Black Ovis carbon fiber trekking poles?

If it's the one below I have tried them...first pair and the replacement pair broke. Black Ovis was pretty good to work with but those poles suck.

https://www.blackovis.com/blackovis-crestone-carbon-trekking-poles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I looked over several types of hiking poles and about fell off the mountain from sticker shock.

I knocked the baskets off a couple of old ski poles. They work great. Folding poles would be much better, however.

I'd like to hear some suggestions from actual users. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got these a few weeks ago. they weigh almost nothing are easy to adjust and cost enough that I can't blow off walking most nights now...

LEKI Micro Vario Carbon Trekking Pole Pair. They are 200.00 on Amazon

I'm 65 with back and knee problems. These help a lot. Much better upper body exercise and way less likely to fall over and hurt some other body part. Planning to use them as shooting sticks too.

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old guy exercise clip

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Extreme sport Nordic walking.... (if I never post again it might mean I made some bad choices) grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good luck with that John! laugh

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I looked over several types of hiking poles and about fell off the mountain from sticker shock.

I knocked the baskets off a couple of old ski poles. They work great. Folding poles would be much better, however.

I'd like to hear some suggestions from actual users. wink

My thoughts as well. I've been using a pair of old ski poles for decades. Cost 50 cents each at a thrift store.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Good luck with that John! laugh

Thank you sir, I did a second loop today around our pond this evening. We don't have anywhere near the levels of mosquitoes you do down East but I despise the little blood suckers and found a batch of them tonight. The roadway back from the pond is pretty long and steep. I was thinking about the extreme sports walking guy above as I poled my way back up hill. Not moving like that but thinking about it cool

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Extreme sport Nordic walking.... (if I never post again it might mean I made some bad choices) grin

That's some funny [bleep]!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're into making your own and have white oak in your neck of the woods....
Find skinny sapling(s). It should be large enough diameter for a secure grip, but light. Leave the bark on where you grip and don't worry if it isn't straight. A little bend acts as a shock absorber. It'll flex just enough, but not like the aluminum type. The grain goes from grip to tip and is exceptionally strong. If it's good, you can pass those onto the younger hunters starting out.
Don't go for limbs, just a young sappling next to a big one. Easy to ID from the lack of pins on leaf tips.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's been 3 weeks since I got my fancy carbon fiber hiking poles . Wife and I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains so our hiking is mostly up and down, She is 9 years younger and tonight I found her texting one of her buddies that I "was cheating with the poles". I'm officially a hiking pole fan boy now grin

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I carry just 1. It's great for hiking and I've learned to use it as a shooting stick by propping it against something else, from my leg to a bush, whatever's available. Trying to fumble with 2 poles and a rifle is more trouble than it's worth.

I';ve never found a need (or desire) for 2 hiking sticks. 1 is sufficient for crossing streams, hiking uphill/uneven terrain.

Why 2? You shouldnt be using your upper body to ascend.

Use as shooting sticks in nice, but I carry thinner sticks for that. But 2 to shoot off of, ok. But for hiking? I'll keep a free hand, thanks.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'm officially a hiking pole fan boy now grin

lol, at least you know it!

hope you continue to get lots of use out of them

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cross country ski poles work pretty well

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Crockettnj

I';ve never found a need (or desire) for 2 hiking sticks. 1 is sufficient for crossing streams, hiking uphill/uneven terrain.

Why 2? You shouldnt be using your upper body to ascend.

Use as shooting sticks in nice, but I carry thinner sticks for that. But 2 to shoot off of, ok. But for hiking? I'll keep a free hand, thanks.

The balance assistance from poles can save a lot of energy, ascending/descending/flat. I'm often using only 1, but 2 helps gives you more balance...in a lot of cases it's not needed but it's still there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
9 years ago I had a fall that messed up my back. None of the imaging showed anything that could be fixed surgically. I had to retire early. 3 years ago we were traveling to meet a new grand nephew. Something shifted during the road trip home and the pain level went from "I hate traveling this sucks". To "CRAP! I want narcotics and a 2nd opinion right now!". Got in to see a neurosurgeon who ordered a different kind of image where a dye was injected first for better contrast.
It turned out that the reason my back never got better was a piece of vertebrae was completely broken loose and just floating around in there bumping up against the spinal cord at will. The surgeon made a small incision and plucked it out the patched me up with super glue. Over all I have 60% better mobility now
\
Prior to surgery the only exercise I got was swimming . I had been making gains with swimming again then Covid happened and I basically began growing roots out of my butt again. I carry a 3 leg back packing stool to rest on when needed and earlier this week my custom Diamond D hip holster for my S&W Model 69 with a Vortex Venom red dot arrived. From a seated position using the hiking poles as shooting sticks I'm able to keep all 5 shots on an 8" steel target at 75 yards.

Come on deer season cool

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Ditto on the CostCo Carbon Fibers

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Put 120 miles on a set in Colorado last summer, no worse for wear. Typically only use one.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I made my own "trekking poles" in the 1970's out of ski poles back when no one was using them. I did a few backpacks with them before I went back to a single staff. I just don't like having two objects in my hands unless I need to (snowshoeing/skiing).

After using a walking staff for years, I switched to a cane about 30 years ago. I prefer it over anything else. It gives me the necessary "3rd point of contact" for safety/stability/support, but leaves my other hand free (which is especially handy when carrying a rifle). Think of it as an ice axe like tool for a walker rather than a climber.

As I said earlier in the thread, I still have a pair of BD Carbon Cork Trekking poles, but I doubt they will ever replace my Komperdell Cane.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I’m backpacking I use trekking poles all the time; when hunting they are collapsed and attached to my pack. If I get lucky and kill an elk, then they earn their keep hauling meat out.

There’s an outfit (Spartan) that lets you utilize your tripod legs as trekking poles- kind of a neat double duty deal. Not sure well they work, but a neat idea.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

If you're into making your own and have white oak in your neck of the woods....
Find skinny sapling(s). It should be large enough diameter for a secure grip, but light. Leave the bark on where you grip and don't worry if it isn't straight. A little bend acts as a shock absorber. It'll flex just enough, but not like the aluminum type. The grain goes from grip to tip and is exceptionally strong. If it's good, you can pass those onto the younger hunters starting out.
Don't go for limbs, just a young sappling next to a big one. Easy to ID from the lack of pins on leaf tips.

I’ve used Hard Maple saplings for years.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Alaska taught me the value of trekking poles except in the rocks I've broken at least one every trip. The super duper lightweights cannot withstand that beating or torque when wedged - can't blame them. Now opt for moderately priced versions. Last caribou trip I cut a pretty straight willow, skinned off the bark and tied on a wrist loop from a broken shoestring. Help me twice from a steep wet slope and an out of control fall. It came back on the Delta flight as a souvenir.
I'll bring a pair of Leki's on the sheep hunt on Aug 7 and see how long they last.............

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

I understand that he's training for nordic skiing but I'd feel like a total idiot doing that. His yuppiness is oozing out of every pore.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Brad
I made my own "trekking poles" in the 1970's out of ski poles back when no one was using them. I did a few backpacks with them before I went back to a single staff. I just don't like having two objects in my hands unless I need to (snowshoeing/skiing).

After using a walking staff for years, I switched to a cane about 30 years ago. I prefer it over anything else. It gives me the necessary "3rd point of contact" for safety/stability/support, but leaves my other hand free (which is especially handy when carrying a rifle). Think of it as an ice axe like tool for a walker rather than a climber.

As I said earlier in the thread, I still have a pair of BD Carbon Cork Trekking poles, but I doubt they will ever replace my Komperdell Cane.

Great pic Brad!!! Not sure about a cane style but better give it a try. Looks like a great bino platform for glassing at the very least. In that country optics better be glued to your eyes. A comfy set up will produce more game. Ground pad to sit on. Cane to rest bins on. Nice man.

Your Every Liberal vote promotes Socialism and is an
attack on the Second Amendment. You will suffer the consequences.

GOA,Idaho2AIAlliance,AmericanFirearmsAssociation,IdahoTrappersAssociation,FoundationForWildlifeManagement ID and MT.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Shag, you one sexy sumbitch you!!! Those poles I gotcha will prevail!!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Haha laffin. [bleep] gonna go flex in the mirror. Lol smile keep telling the wife I'm a sexy sumbitch. haha

Your Every Liberal vote promotes Socialism and is an
attack on the Second Amendment. You will suffer the consequences.

GOA,Idaho2AIAlliance,AmericanFirearmsAssociation,IdahoTrappersAssociation,FoundationForWildlifeManagement ID and MT.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My last mountain hunt, I used a pair of fiberglass cattle show sticks. A little heavier but very strong and durable.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After borrowing a few, went with the lightest cork handled model that was handily available, which was some leki’s, and like them. Flip locks. Not much separates poles other than getting the grips you like, fastener-type you like, honest tips, at a reasonably light weight. Have got $12 cheapies in the truck that are 90% as good, you know? So, not something to over analyze really imo.

Last weekend’s pole country, “morning after”.

[Linked Image]

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

Hey Brad,

With enough length, that looks like it could be a cane, hiking/ tracking pole AND crutch if need be. I'm only thinking crutches in an emergency. If an ankle or leg is injured, it looks like that "T" design might allow a comfortable underarm support.
What do you think?
Is it a sturdy lightweight material?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
693 members (007FJ, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 70 invisible), 2,803 guests, and 1,302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,632
Posts18,398,825
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.