Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Phasmid Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
In the past I would just make a staff/cane out of a piece of wood when I wanted extra stability, i.e. packing meat off trail. As I am getting older I see the advantage of using adjustable hiking poles. Any suggestion on brands and models to try or those to stay away from?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
i have a pair of the cheap costco carbon fibers. ive been very very pleased. very sturdy, real cork handles. currently on sale for 2 pair for 70 bucks

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Leki - micro vario carbons

8 years? of backpacking and hunting on the same pair.

Pitter Patter!
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Black diamonds.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Phasmid
In the past I would just make a staff/cane out of a piece of wood when I wanted extra stability, i.e. packing meat off trail. As I am getting older I see the advantage of using adjustable hiking poles. Any suggestion on brands and models to try or those to stay away from?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Lots of choices, both alum and carbon fiber.

Carbon fiber is lighter but can break easier especially in sub zero weather. I have a pair of carbon fiber Eastons that have served me well. Cam locs or flick type locks seem to work better than twist locs.

I also have alum trekking poles and use them as wading staffs mostly.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Flip locks. I've had twist locks get water in them and freeze. You can't adjust them until they thaw out.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I've beat on a set of Leki Makalus for several years now, and they're still going strong.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have two sets of Leki. One is the heavier aluminum and then the lighter weight set. Flip locks. I havent broke any to date but I imagine if I ever get one wedged between two rocks and use it for a pry bar my big arse will bend it. I actually like the heavier set better but it might be I am just used to them.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Both make noise when whacked on rocks but aluminum is worse. The worst part of the noise seems to be the lower shaft rattling inside the upper.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have Black Diamonds and the Costco ones. For around $30, give the Costco sticks a try. I've used them plenty for summertime hiking. Good value for the price.

IC B3

E
ejo Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
I use Leki carbon micros and like them a lot. My guide on a recent Dall Sheep hunt used cheap Costco ones and after seeing them in use, I would not spend the $200+ on the Leki. We used the Costco ones as our tent pole as well and they were just as good as the Leki.

P
Phasmid Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Good information to know about the twist lock freezing up in cold wet weather. This information give me a place to start from.Thanks to all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll start with which ones to avoid first- Black Diamond Z poles; the first one I broke was fording a (albeit swift) stream, which left me with one pole w/ 80+ miles to go on a trip; Black Diamond was good about warrantying it, but this time I went with the heaviest duty aluminum Z pole they made, bent one of those early on a winter trip- no fun snowshoeing with one trekking pole! Both poles failed at the same location. I will say that I still have a pair, the first pair of Z poles I purchased- the very lightweight carbon ones they make- these are reserved for light & fast outings ON trail only- definitely not a hunting suitable pole. It's a really cool design, but after two losses not going to risk them again.

I've now got a pair of Black Diamond Carbon Corks that replaced the last pair of z-poles, the FlickLock setup while not as handy as the Z folding ones, is much sturdier and less prone to failure- these are the ones I now use hunting (and hiking if there is going to be a lot of off trail stuff). My other pair that I use mostly in the winter is their two piece Traverse ski pole- extra stout and can take their whippet attachment.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Any of them can break if you stick it between 2 big rocks as you're falling down. Some of us know these things.

― George Orwell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Any of them can break if you stick it between 2 big rocks as you're falling down. Some of us know these things.

ahhh- that's how you become oracle

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
bd flip locks. Costco are decent for the money have broke 2 pair but I'm pretty rough on them

Get cork grips

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Indeed, or if you're stable and the scree slides on you....grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Some of you have had better luck w the Costco sticks than I. The twist locks went out in short order on 3 of 4 sticks. Will not spend money on them again.

They need replacing, so watching this thread.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Black Diamond aluminum flick locks for me. I need a new pair too. The Costco ones are lighter, but it sucks when they break.

Last edited by cwh2; 03/14/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use the weaver leather CF showstick cow pokers. One piece, non-collapsible and I've never broke one..... with the Wiser coupler, they make a damn good set of shooting sticks.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (06hunter59, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 222ND, 73 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,678
Posts18,456,284
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.