Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Seems somewhere, on more than one occasion I've heard the remark from a fellow that declares his over-the-counter Remchester will shoot 1 hole groups all day long.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've owned quite a few production and semi-custom rifles as well as a few full custom's that others had commissioned and then sent down the road. I know, in my old age, that I do not seem to have the ability to concentrate that I did when I was younger.

Having said that, in the last 30 years that I have been reloading for hunting, using rifles described above to kill stuff, and developing loads for that purpose, I've found that for me, one hole groups at any time are an anomaly, much less all day long?

What is your expectation/experience in that regard, and what do you consider acceptable accuracy for hunting, say 300 yds. and under??

Asking for me, not a friend.

Quien Sabe?

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Yep.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
GW,

I used to be an accuracy nut up until about 15 years ago. Since, I choose a top end load from Barnes #3 or 4 and go hunting. An inch and a half is easy to achieve (and usually better) and has not let me down.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Acceptable accuracy is half the diameter of your critter's lungs for big game, and half the size of the critter itself for a varmint.

Why? Because if you hold on the center of your animal's lungs, a half-lung group size will still hit in the lungs. A deer's lungs are about a foot in diameter. Yes, that means a 6" group at whatever range you feel comfortable shooting is fine. Many or most of you would not be happy with such a group, and striving for better is good. But "wallet" grouping isn't necessary.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
For deer/coyote 5/8"-3/4" at 100 yards,and nail a 4" steel gong at 300.I have several guns that shoot way better,but not really needed for the ranges I shoot.I have 10-12 really accurate cf rifles from 6x45 and 6- 250 imp. to 6.5 Creedmoor,but always end up using my 336 A Marlin 30-30 to deer hunt.Guy on the rimfire page has a 10/22 he head shoots tree squirrels at 200 yards consistently-way out of my league!

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I've had many rifles including three benchrest guns, but have never been fortunate enough to own one of the "all day long" rifles. It looks like the Internet alleged experts bought them all.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i have a few guns that will shoot what i call one hole. basically one big ragged hole for 3 shots. my ruger 77 frontier 338 federal for one. and my 7600 35 whelen carbine for another. the 338 is stock with a leupold 1.5.-5x20. i use the fusion factory loads. the whelen has a match trigger by accuracy international and a bushnell 3200 2-7. i use 200 sp's from wisconsin cartridge for best accuracy.

all day, no. 3 shot paced groups with the occasional flyer, yes.

a lot depends on me and my shakes. some days i just know i am wasting ammo.

as for accuracy, i am happy with 1-2" groups at 100 with deer guns. 200 is fist sized. don't shoot anything longer. then again, i've never spent more than 250 bucks for a scope. my brother has a older leupold on his 700 that is head and shoulders above anything i own. not sure what it is. it came with the rifle.

My diploma is a DD214
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I did a test with a .22. Took a brick to the range and was going to shoot them all on one target, to see if I and the gun could really get a "one-hole-all-day-long" target.

I quit after 75 rds. Wasn't gonna happen.

Gun was a CZ 452. Ammo was CCI SV.

Range @ 50 yds.

May try again sometime after reading this thread.

prplbkrr = Purple Biker

Can't score goals if all you do is pass.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by geedubya
Seems somewhere, on more than one occasion I've heard the remark from a fellow that declares his over-the-counter Remchester will shoot 1 hole groups all day long.

I've owned quite a few production and semi-custom rifles as well as a few full custom's that others had commissioned and then sent down the road. I know, in my old age, that I do not seem to have the ability to concentrate that I did when I was younger.

Having said that, in the last 30 years that I have been reloading for hunting, using rifles described above to kill stuff, and developing loads for that purpose, I've found that for me, one hole groups at any time are an anomaly, much less all day long?

What is your expectation/experience in that regard, and what do you consider acceptable accuracy for hunting, say 300 yds. and under??

Asking for me, not a friend.

Quien Sabe?

GWB

I've killed a lot of critters with a .270 Win that shoots 1.25"-1.5" groups all day at 100 yards.

Sure, you don't want a rifle that shoots 3-4" at a hundred yards, but, IMO, practice from field positions is going to help you more than cutting bench groups by a quarter inch will.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
One hole groups are easy peasy all day long...

at 25 yds or so!

When I bought my fist new Ruger M77 MK II, another kid behind the counter told me to shoot a group at 25 yds to begin the sight-in process. So I did. Couldn't for the life of me figure out where the next 2 shots went. So I moved over on the target and tried again. Then it hit me. lol

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I still like to chase sub MOA accuracy, but don’t fool myself into thinking it’s necessary for hunting. The weather and other physical conditions are such a big factor that rifle accuracy takes a back seat. A rifle that will consistently produce 1.5” groups is certainly adequate. I do like rifles that will consistently shoot to approximately the same POI with different loads.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by geedubya

Paper Plate.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
All mine will shoot one hole groups all day long.

Requirements. Hoping for under an inch at 100. At 300 looking for 1.5 inches is my preference.

Rocky says half this or that. I wobble more than most do. So I want the most advantage for my wobble.

One hole groups all day long. Yep, got those. One shot at each target. One hole.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Any deer I’ve ever killed would still be dead if my rifle had only been capable of 2” groups, maybe 3”. That’s not to say at all that better accuracy isn’t ever needed, and you certainly can’t ignore the satisfaction that comes from making precision ammunition. Longest shot I was ever offered at a deer was 200, maybe a bit more. That’s simply how things go in the places I usually hunt. Given a choice I’ll take okay accuracy with good bullets over tiny groups with poor ones. Newer bullets must really be better because 3-shot groups of around an inch are pretty easy to get. Don’t see any point in wasting barrel life and components scratching for a couple of tenths, not for hunting ammo.

A bit off-topic, but I always get tickled by claims that someone’s cheap .22 will always put crappy bulk ammo in tiny clusters. Maybe the stars align once in a while, and certainly some inexpensive rifles shoot really well, but bulk .22 ammo, even mid-grade, is plagued by flyers that spoil groups from any rifle.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Any deer I’ve ever killed would still be dead if my rifle had only been capable of 2” groups, maybe 3”. That’s not to say at all that better accuracy isn’t ever needed, and you certainly can’t ignore the satisfaction that comes from making precision ammunition. Longest shot I was ever offered at a deer was 200, maybe a bit more. That’s simply how things go in the places I usually hunt. Given a choice I’ll take okay accuracy with good bullets over tiny groups with poor ones. Newer bullets must really be better because 3-shot groups of around an inch are pretty easy to get. Don’t see any point in wasting barrel life and components scratching for a couple of tenths, not for hunting ammo.

A bit off-topic, but I always get tickled by claims that someone’s cheap .22 will always put crappy bulk ammo in tiny clusters. Maybe the stars align once in a while, and certainly some inexpensive rifles shoot really well, but bulk .22 ammo, even mid-grade, is plagued by flyers that spoil groups from any rifle.

Flyers are a PITA. Still, I'll take 4 in one hole, with one flyer out. Still ticks me off though.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
One short of one hole...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As long as I'm the guy pulling the trigger I'll never kmow how accurate any rifle I own is capable of. I do have several I feel will stay easily inside 1.5 " all day long.

It's not uncommon if the first 2 shots are touching,
But asking me to keep a 3rd there is really tuff.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
A good shooting rifle is a must have. But I've learned that I'm not a one hole all day capable shooter with the best rifles.

Life is good live it while you can.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
There was a time, in my prime I could shoot a three shot one hole group once in a while. The last time I did that was two years ago with a 358 Savage 99. I thought I’d missed the target on the second shot, fired again, said a bad word, went down to target, could see it ragged out just a touch. I adjust scope, two shots touching, said some happy bad words. I’m still amazed by 99’s, wished I’d discovered them when I was younger.

G
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by rost495
All mine will shoot one hole groups all day long.

Requirements. Hoping for under an inch at 100. At 300 looking for 1.5 inches is my preference.

Rocky says half this or that. I wobble more than most do. So I want the most advantage for my wobble.

One hole groups all day long. Yep, got those. One shot at each target. One hole.

One shot, one hole. After that, my groups tend to open up a skosh!

Once a load is to my liking, I very seldom shoot groups with it again. Then it's first shot, cold bore that piques my interest.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 12344mag, 53 invisible), 2,144 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,200
Posts18,466,008
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.