Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hello all, I recently bought a copy of Jack O'Connor's book of rifles and shotguns in my pursuit of becoming a better rifle shot from field positions and am intrigued by his views of the available rifle slings. Now from what I understand, this is pretty much a strictly American thing, as I have never seen anybody use a shooting sling (or even a hasty sling) to support a shooting position around here. Personally I picked up a Rhodesian sling a few months ago and am now wondering how the old instructions on shooting with a sling apply to it, as it's lacking any of the fasteners and just relies on a loop. Sadly it slides off the shoulder quite easily.

I'd like to know what kind of slings you all on the fire have on your rifles. It seems O'Connor was a big proponent of the "Whelen-type" sling, but I have never seen one in the wild.

They don't make 'em like they used to

Don't tread on me

Nothing runs like a Deere
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it won't stay on your shoulder,
And it offers no shooting support,
what good is it?

I like the neoprene ones, they stick pretty well.
As I have gotten older (thicker?) Slings sliding have
become more of an issue.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My rifles have the 1" wide Nylon Uncle Mike's camo or black slings sewn on for no buckle rattle. Mine are long enough to go over my head and right shoulder for when I climb trees. I missed getting a shot at a big buck once because my rifle was slung over my shoulder and from that day on I said to myself that if I was too tired to carry my rifle in my hand, I was too tired to be out hunting. I'll only sling when I don't plan on using the rifle. My buddy dropped his 6.5x55 out of a tree that he was climbing into when the sling pulled through a buckle. My shots here have been so close that wrapping into a sling for stability has never been necessary.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
J
Joe Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Several years ago I made a couple of Whelen slings and they work well enough but, I like the Latigo sling better. I bought a couple of Montana slings which are an easier adjustable Whelen sling but, I don't know how long the knot will perform it's job. All in all I prefer the Latigo with the 1907 military sling a second choice only because it weighs slightly more.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
If it won't stay on your shoulder,
And it offers no shooting support,
what good is it?

I like the neoprene ones, they stick pretty well.
As I have gotten older (thicker?) Slings sliding have
become more of an issue.

you need a frankenstud Sling keeper

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I like the Montana Sling and have a couple. They have worked well and no complaints.

I also like the leather sling with slide from Murray Leather.

https://www.murraycustomleather.com/slings.htm

C
CJL Offline
C
Hi, I also like the Montana sling, I used it this past elk season in prone position. I like that I was able to adjust the length in position. The hide side of the leather sticks to the shoulder much better than nylon and the knot does not slip when carrying it.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
The Montana sling would be tough to beat, there are some equal to it, but none are better.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Windfall
My rifles have the 1" wide Nylon Uncle Mike's camo or black slings sewn on for no buckle rattle. Mine are long enough to go over my head and right shoulder for when I climb trees. I missed getting a shot at a big buck once because my rifle was slung over my shoulder and from that day on I said to myself that if I was too tired to carry my rifle in my hand, I was too tired to be out hunting. I'll only sling when I don't plan on using the rifle. My buddy dropped his 6.5x55 out of a tree that he was climbing into when the sling pulled through a buckle. My shots here have been so close that wrapping into a sling for stability has never been necessary.

WHY would you climb a tree with a rifle?? Get a hoist. Climbing is hazardous enough with out worrying about a rifle getting in your way

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Uncle Mike’s/Butler Creek Mountain Slings here.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Whelen sling was designed to be a shooting sling, not just a carry strap. The shooting loop is held in place with leather laces rather than brass frogs. I have a Hunter brand sling and have to put some extra holes in it to get a good fit, but it seems solid.

https://sportingroad.com/2018/10/04/jack-oconnors-whelen-rifle-sling/

405wcf

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I l9ike the Montana sling but the knot does, eventually start to slip. I ended up removing the knot and lacing the sling at the appropriate length. I like the old military slings but the Montana, as I have it, is a very good sling. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Another vote here for the Montana sling. I have two and they’re about all I use for hunting rifles other than a couple of 3/4” .22 lr slings.

H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
I use The Claw sling on all of my hunting rifles, resists water, stays on your shoulder and is pliable enough for triangle support shooting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Poconojack

2nd that, especially when on a multi-day backpack hunt. with a Ruger M 77 rifle. Otherwise, I have the Brownell Latigo slings.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I use only boonie packer/ safari slings.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I use Uncle Mike's Mt Sling for standard swivels. I prefer Pat's 1" Montana Sling (https://www.montanagunslings.com/) by a long shot for look and feel, but I get rained on as much as I don't and the nylon....well, it's just nylon.

I use The Wilderness Basic Carry Sling with GrovTec QD push button swivels on stocks with left side flush cups.

Sling swivels and scope base/ring screws are two of the rusting'est things I've ever found. I think they come packed in salt......

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Poconojack

Yep, this is the answer.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I use an SKS sling with QD swivels.

Stays in my vest till its time to drag/pack out.

But I'm an eastern woods hunter and spend the majority of my time sneaking around. A rifle on my shoulder will do nothing but cost me opportunities. A rifle in my hands is ready to do its job.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 405wcf
The Whelen sling was designed to be a shooting sling, not just a carry strap. The shooting loop is held in place with leather laces rather than brass frogs. I have a Hunter brand sling and have to put some extra holes in it to get a good fit, but it seems solid.

https://sportingroad.com/2018/10/04/jack-oconnors-whelen-rifle-sling/

405wcf

I use a Whelen sling too. I have both a 1" and a 1.25" from back in the day, which are beautifully broken in, and recently bought a current production Hunter brand version just to have a "backup." The leather on the new one is, IMO, too thick compared to the older ones.

BTW, good article and resources that you linked, but ironically, the sling on the nice Sako at the beginning of the story is on backwards. Compare it to the pics of JOC using his in the actual article, and the Hunter assembly instructions below the article (where the muzzle is to the right for all three diagrams).

Cheers,
Rex

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,021 guests, and 1,106 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,195
Posts18,465,925
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.