Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ranger99
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Or, you could just spend the couple of bucks for case lube and get on with your life.

^ ^ ^ ^ this

Get a tin of Imperial Size Wax, and used properly
it'll last forever plus 4 days.
But after that you'll have to spend another whole
5 or 6 dollars, or whatever it costs now

A couple of years ago I was buying some stuff and threw a tin of Imperial in my cart for when I “run out”.

5 or 6 dollars down the drain. I guess I can put it in my will.

What fresh Hell is this?
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Imperial...I’ve used it since about ‘85 and have no reason to change.

The only thing to use!

How is it for cleaning?

I clean my brass after sizing in a tumbler. Some other lubes are a bit tough to get off. RCBS for one.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by colodog
Liquid lanolin and a bottle of Isoheat in the red bottle. Spray on, give the brass a shake and let the alcohol evaporate.
It's very effective.

What you have described is basically Dillon spray lube. Works great when doing a large batch of cases. I use the Imperial for small lots of cases...

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by SuperCub

The only thing to use!

How is it for cleaning?

I clean my brass after sizing in a tumbler. Some other lubes are a bit tough to get off. RCBS for one.

In the tumbler for 20-30 minutes.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub

The only thing to use!

How is it for cleaning?

In the tumbler for 20-30 minutes.

I mostly do not use lube much. Using collet dies has eliminated the need but once in a while I need to FLR brass. Will give the Imperial a try.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by colodog
If you're lubing with a pad, you get as much lube on your hands as you get on the cases.

When necking brass up or down as single cases, Imperial is great.

When you have a tub of brass that needs sized, the liquid lanolin and Isoheat works best and it's super cheap.

There's a bunch of videos on you tube but one from several years ago illustrates it very well, "Reloading Case Lube - how to make it yourself CHEAP!" Sorry , no link...

That it's cheap is a bonus, it works well and is fast and effective.

Thanks for the link - I'll take a look.. I do have a tub of brass and looking for a faster lube process

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Do not use it on Wednesdays, or after 9PM. Sugan lanolynne, named after the Sugan, Kumpuur region where it is grown, is also good for your skin. Do not rub it on your private parts, or dogs.

As always, Steve no doubt knows whereof he speaks.

Thanks for taking one for the team!

No problem. People obsess over this, but it's a no brainer. Imperial sizing wax is merely expensive lanolin. crazy

Lanolin can be used as is, or cut and liquified, using alcohol. I have some in the spray bottle below. The alcohol evaporates quickly and leaves a thin film of lube on your cases. And, as Imperial has advertised forever, a little lanolin goes a long way. A 16 oz container will last several lifetimes.

Bullet making lube is lanolin in a bottle, only much, much, much cheaper. It is designed to lubricate at thousands of PSI in bullet making dies, at pressures that far exceed those generated by a reloading press. And it's good for the skin. You can buy ISW for $10 for 2 oz. or 16 oz of bullet maker's lube for $35. Redding is getting fat! Of course, people will flock to ISW because of its magical properties. laugh The magic of overpriced lanolin.

Here's a pic of 16 oz of lanolin in a white plastic bottle that I purchased 10 or 15 years ago from Richard Corbin - rceco.com . I bought two. One is for bullet making. The other is for reloading. I should have just bought one and siphoned off a little for the reloading room. I keep about one teaspoon of it in my reloading room in a cheap Tupperware fruit cup.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]...[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]...[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
This will work. An oz of liquid lanolin to one bottle of ISO Heet to make a spray lube.

https://youtu.be/0117UuXiSS4

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hah! I use transmission fluid on a pad, easy to wipe off the case. Tough sizing jobs and say forming 30-06 cases to 35 Whelen get a patch wetted (not dripping) with Armorall protectant. You can even make a patch out of the Armorall protectant wipes. I use it for inside neck lube anyway.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
There's no downside to Hornady Unique when lube is needed. Homemade lube is a waste of time IMO.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
As to the original question: why?

Last edited by 5sdad; 03/16/21.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I like Hornaday One Shot as you don't have to remove it after loading. The only time I have dented cases with it is with new dies that I ovelubed initially. Imperial is good but I have dented cases a number of times with it and it takes tumbling or soaking to remove, a wipe down alone leaves enough to cause high pressure indicators.

In a pinch I have used STP (really messy), VO5 (I think it is lanolin), Automatic transmission fluid or better Ed's Red. Cooking Spray, Olive Oil, and some others. I like the One Shot or Imperial from the shoulder down and motor mica for inside and outside the neck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sizing lube is one of those things that you can get for less than nothing. . . no, I really mean that!

A lot of places have deals like "Free Shipping on Orders over $50) or some such. Sizing lube is one of those things that when you've got an order that's just under the limit, you can add on and get for better than free. Right now, I'm well stocked on lube. At current rates, I'll be okay until 2050. However, Midway sent me a $6 better-than-free hat the last time I ordered from them.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by DBoston
I like Hornaday One Shot as you don't have to remove it after loading. The only time I have dented cases with it is with new dies that I ovelubed initially. Imperial is good but I have dented cases a number of times with it and it takes tumbling or soaking to remove, a wipe down alone leaves enough to cause high pressure indicators.

This does not match my experience.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman

+1 Even when I was a total rookie hand loader.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Originally Posted by mathman

+1 Even when I was a total rookie hand loader.

You only get case dents from using too much lubricant.
Either from over applying it, or lube build up inside the
die
It shouldn't take that much of any kind of suitable
case lubricant to do the job.
I get a very thin film on my finger and rub some on
the case. You don't scoop any out of the tin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ranger99
[

You only get case dents from using too much lubricant.
Either from over applying it, or lube build up inside the
die
It shouldn't take that much of any kind of suitable
case lubricant to do the job.
I get a very thin film on my finger and rub some on
the case. You don't scoop any out of the tin

+1
For a loading of 25 rounds, I put a small amount on 5 rounds and then put 1 of the five down on a clean pad and put 2 in front and 2 behind-- 1 round holds enough for 5. After rolling on the pad, there's just a hint of the lube-- less than I could do with my finger.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 5sdad
As to the original question: why?

As to the why... to lube a large volume of brass without having to lube them individually, and to do it cheaper than the price of commercial spray lubes.

That YouTube video of spraying a tub full of brass looked quick, easy, and inexpensive

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Remington725
I’ve heard lots of testimonials for Imperial wax but haven’t used it.

If you were planning to size 500 pieces of 223 brass, would you use that?

Yes.

You have to handle the cases anyway, just spin it between your fingers with the Imperial while moving it to the press, it takes zero time.

I can recall innumerous screwups with homemade concoctions and that Hornady one shot crap from buddies that for some reason refused to take the easy path and just use imperial. They usually started with "Crap, I just pulled the rim off", progressed to "how do I get this case out", then after the drill and screwdriver came out finished with "Chit, now I've gotta buy new dies".

I vastly prefer just doing things the easy way.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

176 members (10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 345dl, 1_deuce, 25 invisible), 2,761 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,643
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.