Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
https://bowduploaders.com/

Just got my first UTV, a Honda Pioneer 1000. Looks like this setup would make quick work of loading a deer. Anyone here used one? Opinions?

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw a rig like that on a yellow avalanche awhile back

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had a rear winch on a Dodge power wagon and was surprised how handy that came in...Not sure if it would be worth the bucks for my Rhino tho..I do carry a small come a long for stuff like that..

Jaycođź‘Ť

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use a Warn drill powered winch, 500lb capacity attached with a strap to my roll bar on my Pioneer. Makes it easy for an old man to drag deer and hogs into the tilt bed and was quite affordable. About $150.00 as I recall.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by badger
I use a Warn drill powered winch, 500lb capacity attached with a strap to my roll bar on my Pioneer. Makes it easy for an old man to drag deer and hogs into the tilt bed and was quite affordable. About $150.00 as I recall.

That sounds interesting. Happen to have a link to the winch you use? Pics of your setup?

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
IC B2

T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I've also considered just getting an inexpensive 2000lb winch from Amazon and mounting it in the bed myself. Anyone ever done that?

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
I have a cheap harbor freight one mounted to a 2” receiver hitch carry it in a cheap box

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by IA_fog
I have a cheap harbor freight one mounted to a 2” receiver hitch carry it in a cheap box

Appreciate the info. That might work if I just needed a general purpose rear winch, but I don't think that would help me drag a deer up into the bed.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nope built my own before these ever come out to load deer with!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Originally Posted by badger

That sounds interesting. Happen to have a link to the winch you use? Pics of your setup?

Looks like Warn has discontinued the 500lb version. Amazon offers a 750lb for $189.00.

WARN 101570 Handheld Portable Drill Winch with 40 Foot Steel Wire Rope: 750 lb Pulling Capacity

Enter that in your search bar on Amazon. I don’t see a share link on my iPad from the Amazon page. I used a 12” tie down strap with eyelets wrapped around my roll bar to hang it when I need it.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have the cheap harbor freight unit, mounted on 3 Gators, 3 four wheelers, 4 pickup trucks. Gator was the first and it still runs fine after 15 years or so. Hate to think how many deer it has loaded. Of course a doe down here is 100 lb and big buck is 200. You boys up north, with bigger deer might have an issue. Only problem we have had is the cable occasionally getting outside the guides, which can lead to some serious pulling and some new words to get back in place. Actually caused by operator error so not the winches fault. For old, fat guys like us, it is the way to go.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have the cheap harbor freight unit, mounted on 3 Gators, 3 four wheelers, 4 pickup trucks. Gator was the first and it still runs fine after 15 years or so. Hate to think how many deer it has loaded. Of course a doe down here is 100 lb and big buck is 200. You boys up north, with bigger deer might have an issue. Only problem we have had is the cable occasionally getting outside the guides, which can lead to some serious pulling and some new words to get back in place. Actually caused by operator error so not the winches fault. For old, fat guys like us, it is the way to go. Total cost for winch and mounting plate is around $60, so cheap enough to try.

Some mornings, it just does not feel worth it to chew through the straps!~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I mounted a boat crank winch on the bed of my ranger.

Works good enough.

Loaded deer and pigs no problem.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have a Simpson capstan winch that I use for loading elk in our trucks, mule and even onto a sled deck. Knowing how to rig to reduce drag is important.

On my last rig I used a 2" receiver and mounted it in the rear by the axle and on the roll cage. I like the advantage of being up on the highest point. When it's up high, simply tilt the bed and even a whole elk will slide in the bed of a ranger with a lift.

I've pulled elk up the ramp on my sled deck with the Simpson. That capstan is my favorite tool for the woods.....ever.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
With the placement of one or two pulleys one can easily utilize a front mounted winch . My Honda Pioneer 500 only requires one pulley hung from the roll bar.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Winching from an open bed? what could go wrong?....nothing........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the 2" receiver mount, paid $30 for it, and then I have a 2500lb winch.

I've actually been looking for a cheap 3500lb , seen a few on amazon for around $120, one even has a wireless remote.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by wldthg
With the placement of one or two pulleys one can easily utilize a front mounted winch . My Honda Pioneer 500 only requires one pulley hung from the roll bar.

That's what I do. 3500lb winch with kevlar line and a small snatch block does it all.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by high_country_
I have a Simpson capstan winch that I use for loading elk in our trucks, mule and even onto a sled deck. Knowing how to rig to reduce drag is important.

On my last rig I used a 2" receiver and mounted it in the rear by the axle and on the roll cage. I like the advantage of being up on the highest point. When it's up high, simply tilt the bed and even a whole elk will slide in the bed of a ranger with a lift.

I've pulled elk up the ramp on my sled deck with the Simpson. That capstan is my favorite tool for the woods.....ever.

This and 250' of bull rope.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
What I did 20 years ago was make a removable mount on front and back with 12 V plug at both places keep the winch mounted on the front but if needed can be removed and mounted on the back.......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 160user, 50 invisible), 1,991 guests, and 1,044 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,186
Posts18,465,749
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.