Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

I'm not finding the kind of walking sticks I like, so I'm just going to have to make my own. By hand!

But what kind of drawknife do I need for that specific job?

Shape and size?

Make?

BP-B2

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I picked a nice straight up young Ash tree (2" in dia at thickest part) from my parent's yard. Outer bark took me a half hour or so with a nice sharp knife (one of Tim Olt's bird & trout knives) and I was able to find a groove so that I could peel away the outer bark (about 1/16"). I peeled it without the use of a draw knife. Only problem(s) I experienced was around the small branch knurls. Tricky but be gentle otherwise you will have to restart the pry & peel again. So smooth once I finished the bark, I can see the emerald ash bore's trails on the inner core of the tree. Once it dried, I just hand sanded it down with some fine sandpaper - being careful not to remove those signature ash bore's trails - added character to your stick.

On a side note, I bought my "Kentucky Style" hiking stick about ten years ago on [bleep] (search for Kentucky Naturally) on a willow wrapped hiking staff. Unique and the twisted willow branch gives it a huge character (and durability). They were under $100 because he found a great source to fine these sticks in the neck of his woods. That was my second Kentucky Style hiking stick (from my days hiking on the Appalachian Trail) and I lost it when I had to check it into the cargo portion of jet plane.

The ash style hiking staff is for my grandson to use hiking with me and it was a great project for us to do on a weekend. Good luck on your search.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Grand dad showed me how once the bark is peeled to use a piece of broken glass to smooth it up right nice...

R
R
It always gives me cause for amusement when I see someone with a store-bought walking stick. "You paid how much good money --- for that!" LOL
They are so easy to make!

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

What I want is not a cane, and it's not a hiking staff. But a stick. A walking stick.

Light and whippy. Useful for pointing at things or poking at them. Or for smacking them upside the head so fast, they never see it coming off the ground.

My plan is to start collecting suitable saplings or branches and seasoning them for a year or two before straightening and carving.

Until then, I'm going to get a couple of store-bought hiking staffs and start carving those down for practice, since they are as seasoned as they are going to get.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use two bamboo sticks held together with a rubber band for many years and of late have replaced the rubber band with a length of elastic cord. Bamboo is exceptionally strong and light weigh and about as cheap as you can get.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
158 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 20 invisible), 1,989 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,648
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.