Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
https://www.obawebsite.com/great-wh...b6oRCcPwqqNlRh2jDVMF6UT7qr41yyl1lKFxGkcU

Big John Shark Fishing Adventures catches great white shark from Pensacola Beach (video below).
Great White Shark caught off of Pensacola Beach

(OBA®) – A Mississippi State University shark researcher has confirmed that a shark caught off the beach in Pensacola is a great white shark.

A fisherman from Idaho apparently caught the great white shark earlier this week fishing off the beach with Big John’s Shark Fishing Adventures.

“You just caught a great white,” Big John McLean tells the fisherman in a YouTube video. “This is the rarest thing ever. Dude that is something you will never see.”

Dr. Marcus Drymon of the Mississippi State Coastal Extension and Research Center watched the a six-minute video of the catch and release and said he was sure the fish was a great white. (See video below.)

“I could see enough to tell it was a white shark for sure,” Drymon said. “It is rare to catch one from the beach, that’s a fact. It’s not particularly rare that they are in the area. It’s cool but it’s not rare.”

Big John said it was a thrill for him and the visitors from Idaho to see a great white on Pensacola Beach.

“As far as my knowledge that was the first one that was caught on Pensacola Beach,” Big John said. “We’re obviously not targeting great whites and I never thought I’d never seen one here on the panhandle. When I saw it, I just knew the biggest thing was we had to get it back and get it in the water. I never thought I’d ever see one and knew just based on that and how clean the release was and the video with it that’s why I chose to post it. I think it’s a unique, once in a lifetime kind of fish.”

For Drymon, the actions of the fishermen and Big John were impressive as was their knowledge of how to handle such a catch.

“I’ll say the anglers did a good job of getting the fish released as quickly as possible and you could tell they had the fish’s best interest in mind,” Drymon said. “They should be commended for that for sure.”

By law, great whites are for catch and release only but Drymon thought this group went above and beyond and seemed to genuinely enjoy and appreciate the experience.

“They are protected,” Drymon said. “In my mind, it was pretty clear that the anglers knew that and I would say to me that was the most interesting thing about a situation like this. Rather than being terrified they caught a great white they struck me as being really excited to actually be able to see a creature like that which is pretty cool.”

Using Bonita for bait, Big John said the hook placement was perfect, just in the jaw on the left side of the fish’s mouth. One measure he didn’t follow was part of releasing the great white but he did so out of concern for the shark.

“I was able to remove it with a two-foot steel de hooker which works really nice,” he said. “The rules when you get a great white you are supposed to cut the wire. I don’t ever like to leave a hook in a shark’s mouth so I was able to get that out really quick and there was no blood. That was my main priority at the time.”

Just because sharks seem to be appearing more frequently doesn’t mean there are more out there, Drymon said. Improved techniques to catch the big fish, even from the beach, are the main factor.

“I saw all the gear,” he said. “These guys have gotten very good at targeting big sharks like that so it’s not so much there’s more of those white sharks in the area it’s that these fishermen are getting better at getting bait out past the surf zone, using heavy tackle and things like that.”

Big John said the great white initially didn’t make a run like most of the sharks he’s caught or seen caught in the past and the fight was only about 35 minutes.

“Sometimes sharks will run out 200 yards of line before you start getting line back,” Big John said. “This one didn’t act like anything I’d ever seen before. The shark didn’t realize he was hooked until he hit the second sandbar. As soon as he saw that second sandbar, he took off a couple of times. At that time, I still didn’t know it was a great white. I caught a 12-foot-6-inch dusky back in January and it fought like that. When I saw that fin, I knew immediately what it was. I think we all were kind of in shock.”

Rules surrounding catch and release of great whites don’t permit measuring of them when they are hooked but Big John based his size estimate on past experience and knowledge of what certain sharks weigh at certain lengths.

“I’ve caught several 12-foot sharks over the past couple of years and just by looking at it I know it was for sure 12-foot and actually it could have been up to 13 feet but I didn’t have an actual measure on the shark,” he said. “It was a female and just looking at stats of female white sharks of 12 feet the majority of them are 1,200 pounds so I’m sure it was 1,200 pounds. I’ve caught 12-foot tiger sharks and most of those are going to be around 900 to 1,000 pounds but those are different fish.”

According to Big John’s website, he has five years of shark fishing experience and loves the uncertainty of what’ll be on the end of the line when a big fish strikes.

“The cool part about it is you have no idea anytime what you’re going to catch and that’s what’s so exciting to me and the clients as well,” he said.

The OCEARCH group recently reported two great white sharks it is tracking were 20 to 40 miles off shore in the areas of Orange Beach, Gulf Shores, Fort Morgan and Dauphin Island but did not consider them “dangerously close.” The research organization tracks shark movements in the world’s oceans and three of their tagged fish are currently in the northern Gulf of Mexico area off Alabama’s coast. The third is a tiger shark, the group reported.

“That boat just puts out tags on the fish they catch but honestly, they don’t do a lot of tagging in the Gulf,” Drymon said. “They do a lot of their tagging in South Carolina and they are in North Carolina as we speak. As the sharks come around the coast of Florida and get into the Gulf, they start pinging like that which is how the tags work.”

According to their website, “OCEARCH has carefully crafted its procedures to minimize stress and risk to the sharks during research expeditions. From the capture to the release, the tagging, handling, and sampling procedures follow established protocols by Institutional Animal Care and Use Committees (IACUC) of participating institutions.”

The group is currently tracking 14 sharks in the Gulf of Mexico from Florida to Texas and three of those are great whites.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I see the guy's from Idaho. That would definitely be a change from our usual trout and crappies.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
That had to be one hell of an experience

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Kill 'em. Kill all of those sum'bitches.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by JeffyD

Skeered are ya?

“Factio democratica delenda est"
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Skeered are ya?

You bet I am!

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Crew on a gulf of mexico offshore supply boat adamant about seeing a group of killer whales offshore of Louisiana in the mid 1980's winter .

Knew a guy who got a bluefin tuna to the side of the boat Louisana - broke off but the whole crew saw it . Kooks . This was around 1998 1999 when it was a fact that there were no bluefins in the Gulf , later the gov't fish people said there were bluefins in the Gulf - they spawn there .

I saw a wolf in sw arkansas 1979 and a mountain lion in sw ohio 1979 when there absolutely were none there .
Lots of critters in places that people don't know about .

Last edited by ol_mike; 03/15/21.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I swam many times on that beach. About 20 years ago I caught monster reds and one giant dusky shark off the pier at the fort.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That’s pretty cool!

B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Crew on a gulf of mexico offshore supply boat adamant about seeing a group of killer whales offshore of Louisiana in the mid 1980's winter .

Knew a guy who got a bluefin tuna to the side of the boat Louisana - broke off but the whole crew saw it . Kooks . This was around 1998 1999 when it was a fact that there were no bluefins in the Gulf , later the gov't fish people said there were bluefins in the Gulf - they spawn there .

I saw a wolf in sw arkansas 1979 and a mountain lion in sw ohio 1979 when there absolutely were none there .

Mike, I have heard that pod of killer whales has been back many times in the Gulf of Mexico off the Louisiana coast. I can't remember when, but it was some time in the past 10 years from a charter captain.

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Its amazing where animals show up. Folks in the UP claim to have elk up there...yoopers are pretty honest so i don't doubt it

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
There is a video of a great white breaching next to the dock at Alcatraz. Pretty sweet for people waiting for their tour!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
When his arm got tired and he was winding with left and right hand I was looking for him to knock it out of gear. Would have got ugly then. Could have bird nested and tangled and out to sea he would be....

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!!!!!!!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

Skeered are ya?

One only needs to be face to face with a 20’ sample while snorkeling to understand.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Kinda like Mountain Lions in Pa?

PGC says THERE ARE NO MOUNTAIN LIONS IN PA!
But, if you see one,
"Its from somewhere else, passing through. And illegal to kill."

HTF do you make it illegal to kill something you deny existing?
And why?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BLG

Mike, I have heard that pod of killer whales has been back many times in the Gulf of Mexico off the Louisiana coast. I can't remember when, but it was some time in the past 10 years from a charter captain.

Clyde

Thanks - interesting stuff ..

IMO there are wolves in many places that people think there aren't . Missourians say there are wolves in their state .
Years ago I saw wolf tracks in deep SW Idaho - spoke with a couple of old ranchers down there - they said there had always been wolves there .
I measured mileage to NE California from SW Idaho - little over 200 miles and said I'd bet there are wolves in California - several years later it's announced - breeding pairs of wolves in California .

OH yeah - I saw a wolf in Florida N of Panama City Beach about 8-9 years ago - eating on a dead boar hog a friend shot . I've coyote hunted for decades and didn't think it was anything but a wolf the second I saw it .

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
if this link works it is from 2009 off of the mouth of the Mississippi River. There is another article of them being spotted again in 2016.

https://www.houmatoday.com/article/DA/20090325/News/608082433/HC

Clyde

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BLG
if this link works it is from 2009 off of the mouth of the Mississippi River. There is another article of them being spotted again in 2016.

https://www.houmatoday.com/article/DA/20090325/News/608082433/HC

Clyde

I worked on the Oil Platform South Pass 49 - going out of South Pass it's the platform due south - fished out of there many many times .

Posted by Bristoe
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Here is one that was upriver from the mouth of the Columbia.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The Orcas have been spotted here a few times over the yrs, by party boats out fishing, and took a video of them. There were two bluefins caught out by Priddo last summer one over 6 hundred and over 7 hundred

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (Akhutr, 21, Algotguns, 808outdoors, 1973cb450, ATC, 8 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 711 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,280
Posts18,467,676
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.