Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
1minute Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Being in the sticks here it's not a news maker, but have a 7-year old neighbor kid (about a 60-pounder) that got seriously mauled by Grandma's Rottweiler a couple days back. No bones broken, but has both arms in casts up to his armpits to keep things stable while tendons and muscles start healing. Lots of stitches too on the back of his neck. Fortunately, his face wasn't savaged.

Don't know the specifics on the kid's actions (did he pull its tail or something), but he and his siblings have been around the dog on a weekly basis for several years. Dog was put down within an hour. Sucks to be the kid, as he has to be tended to for every activity (meals, bathroom, dressing, bathing, etc). Kid seems in good spirits though commenting that Grandma's dog decided to use him as a chew toy.

Seems even the good can go bad once in a while.

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
oh...but its not the breed.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Grandma's a drug dealer?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It’s a wonder my grampa’s doberman didn’t maul me.

I used shoot my rubber band pistol at his ball sack while he was snoozing. (The dog, not grampa)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Would live to know the details.
On dog and incident.

Wanted a Rottie when we were dog shopping, but had an 8 and 4 year
old. The potential scared me, but I personally would trust the breed.

Now a Boxer instead.
And idiots that don't know the breed would blame that on a bite.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I know you’re joking about the cocker spaniel, but that’s one breed I wouldn’t let near a toddler.

Had a friend years ago who had one before she had her baby. Warned her when she was pregnant to get rid of the dog. She didn’t. Dog went after the kid when she started to crawl. I didn’t have to say “Told you so”. Dog was gone in a NY minute.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by slumlord

I used shoot my rubber band pistol at his ball sack while he was snoozing. (The dog, not grampa)

Glad you made that clarification at the end.

NRA Patron
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Cockers can chew a toddler.
Scars still barely visible on my face.
Fam doesnt talk about it, I dunno what the fugg happened.
Heard from other relative I got nailed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got put in the hospital by a neighbor’s Cocker Spaniel when I was about 4yrs old. Bit again in high school by another. I don’t trust them.

Now with even more aplomb
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Best to the lad .

I don't trust any dog , 99% of the time I have a Benchmade Bugout knife [ razor sharp ] hanging in my right pant pocket .

1 minute , I'm panning on moving back out west , about 2-3 weeks ago I clicked on your Burns/Hines location just for the heck of it -- wow you sure do live out in the sticks .
Nearest grocery/gas station is what ? 100-150 miles away ...... smile

Last edited by ol_mike; 03/15/21.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Anyone have any bad experiences with a chow?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some breeds you are a fool to have around kids. I won't rent property to people with pits,rots, or other dangerous breeds. Just too much liability.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Better not bring a pit on my place. But I do not feel that way about rotties. Personal bias? Maybe.

My Mother had a few Rotties over the years. I never saw one behave other than I would expect from a dog born and bred to protect a herd or flock.

Her first was a very small male, about fifty pounds. He had got into the rotting salmon on a creek bank as a pup and was stunted.

We usually were at Mom's about once or twice a week. That dog lived for the time he could play with my six year old son.

Then Mom acquired an eighty pound female. One sunny afternoon my son and the male were running laps around the house. My son in the lead, the rotty male gleefully bounding along behind.

My son came around the blind corner at as close to Mach 1 as he could manage, and came face to face with the new female. She had a chance to growl, but it was cut off midgrowl. That little male had her by the throat, and pinned on her back. She was not moving.

After I got my boy collected and away from the area, the male let her up. She slunk away with, if she had a tail, between her legs.

After that, we always kenneled the female when the kids were around. But that male would have easily given his life to protect them, especially the boy. They had a special bond.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Had a vet friend tell me rotties brain case is actually too small for their brains. As a result, some run around with what amounts to a constant headache. Dunno how one would determine this, but it might explain some of the behavior.

Yours in Liberty,

BL
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by slumlord

Glad you made that clarification at the end.

It's not really clarified. We don't know if he shot the dog's sack while grandpa was snoozing or grandpa's sack while the dog was snoozing. We also don't know if he shot grandpas ball sack while he was awake.

So much left unsaid................

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I had a super inbread cocker spaniel as a kid that went bonkers on me and tore up my wrist pretty good but no torn ligaments or anything like what the story says.

That’s insane.

Anyone who leaves a kid alone with a dog like that needs to be brought up on charges.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by JPro
I got put in the hospital by a neighbor’s Cocker Spaniel when I was about 4yrs old. Bit again in high school by another. I don’t trust them.

American Cocker, I completely agree.

I'm on my 3rd English Cocker hunting dog and I don't know what it'd take to get one to bite you, but whatever it is, it ain't happened yet. Current pup is 15Mo and the only danger he currently poses is that I'm one of the only people he doesn't jump up on. He still puts his paws up on my wife and both daughters. I've about quit trying to get them to discipline him for it. Sooner or later they'll get tired of muddy feet on some outfit, get mad at him and solve the problem.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Any dog needs to be watched around children, particularly if the kids are not "regular" friends with the dog.

When I was four or so, my uncle's dalmation did it's best to chew me into roadkill. I got out of my mom's car, started running towards my uncle in the yard, and the dog took off at the drop of a hat and mauled me for about 5 seconds before my uncle pulled it off me.

Still have the scars on my back and shoulder. Required a dozen or so stitches.

The dog caught a .22 bullet to the skull about a ten minutes after we returned from the doctor's office.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

"He won't hurt you."

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't like dogs in general...if one comes on my place and is causing havoc, it gets a 17 hmr behind the ear.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (007FJ, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 7x57Hunter, 9 invisible), 1,515 guests, and 753 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.