Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

Very good business strategy on their part. No matter where you opinion falls about a manual safety, they have a model just for you.

Maybe, but they're as useless as tits on a bull, as far as I'm concerned.

Really? What's the difference between a safety on a handgun and a safety on a long gun? Never understood how someone could operate a safety on a rifle or shotgun, but it became a liability on a handgun? Few things happen as fast as covering birds on the rise with a shotgun, but no one would think about hunting with the safety disengaged while hunting.

BP-B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Manual safeties on guns designed to be ready to go with a hair trigger (like a 1911 or an AR) are necessary. Not so on revolvers, though. Same for striker fired handguns, like the S&W M&P Shield Plus.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Manual safeties on guns designed to be ready to go with a hair trigger (like a 1911 or an AR) are necessary. Not so on revolvers, though. Same for striker fired handguns, like the S&W M&P Shield Plus.

It takes less trigger pull to fire a round from most striker fired pistols than it does on the average two stage Ar15 trigger. A mil spec AR15 trigger is anything but a hair trigger.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ChuckKY

It takes less trigger pull to fire a round from most striker fired pistols than it does on the average two stage Ar15 trigger. A mil spec AR15 trigger is anything but a hair trigger.

From start to break requires a hair's breadth of travel on the 1911 and the AR. That's what makes them hair triggers. Not so with a double action revolver or a striker fired handgun.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
By the time I was 15 I'd had an hour or two on pre 1940 Colt SAs, none of which--knowing what I know now--had a 3 lb trigger. One, an ancient 32-20, took only a wish to fire once the pad of your finger felt the trigger. Not a damn one of them had any pre-travel or take-up.

That 32-20 Colt had a hair trigger, just to keep things in perspective.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just played with the P365 yesterday (PSA Easter deal with 3 12-shot magazines) with a Shield 40 and a Shield EZ 9... No comparison and the Sig was easily the best out of the box. The triggers on both Shields are atrocious compared to the Sig. Ergos favor the Sig for my hands.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Just played with the P365 yesterday (PSA Easter deal with 3 12-shot magazines) with a Shield 40 and a Shield EZ 9... No comparison and the Sig was easily the best out of the box. The triggers on both Shields are atrocious compared to the Sig. Ergos favor the Sig for my hands.

FWIW, the Shield Plus has a newly designed trigger and gets rave reviews. Having said that, I'll stick with my Sigs and Glocks.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just got mine out of jail yesterday. Went and shot it last night. Found it on GB. It came with 1-10 round and 3-13 round magazines. paid $499 for it. I think I did all right. It has the safety but I have no intention of using it. Compared to my gen 1 shield you can't hardly tell the grip difference. I really like it. I have contacted Magguts wondering when they will have a +2 for the mags and they said they are working on it now.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by BluMtn
Just got mine out of jail yesterday. Went and shot it last night. Found it on GB. It came with 1-10 round and 3-13 round magazines. paid $499 for it. I think I did all right. It has the safety but I have no intention of using it. Compared to my gen 1 shield you can't hardly tell the grip difference. I really like it. I have contacted Magguts wondering when they will have a +2 for the mags and they said they are working on it now.

Odd that it came with all those mags, considering how hard they are to find and S&W only includes two for the standard model and three for the enhanced (night sight) model. You somehow lucked out on the mags.

As for the thumb safety, I wouldn't own a Shield with one. Either, like with a 1911, the thumb safety being engaged (with a round in the chamber) is the standard way to carry it (and that's how you constantly practice with it), or I don't want a thumb safety at all that could accidentally become engaged at the worst possible time and get you killed because routinely disengaging the thumb safety isn't part of your training.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Seems everyone is making a 365 competitor now. So we have the following

Springfield Hellcat
M&P Shield Plus
Ruger Max9
Glock 48/43x with Shield S15 mags
Sccy DVG
Taurus G3C Toro

Am I missing any from that list?

Yes, what S&W did is make ergonomically improved copy of G26 (slightly longer straighter grip). The specs are nearly identical. Shield Plus= sleep

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Seems everyone is making a 365 competitor now. So we have the following

Springfield Hellcat
M&P Shield Plus
Ruger Max9
Glock 48/43x with Shield S15 mags
Sccy DVG
Taurus G3C Toro

Am I missing any from that list?

Yes, what S&W did is make ergonomically improved copy of G26 (slightly longer straighter grip). The specs are nearly identical. Shield Plus= sleep

Other than being made of similar materials, being striker fired, and having a similar trigger safety system, it's not much like a Glock 26. It's much more comparable to the Glock 43X.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I got my Shield Plus today and I am more pleased than anticipated. First of all, I own several Shields and despite their capacity, have always liked them over the Sig p365. This is because I can get a better purchase on the Shield vs the 365, which is important to me. I use a LOT of grip strength on pistols especially with my support hand. I have never been able to get a good purchase with my support hand on the 365 and was never happy with the grip in general. The first two generations of single stack Shields allowed me to cam inwards and really crush down on the pistol. The Shield Plus offers even more. The trigger has been much improved and the grip adds just a bit more surface to keep it pointing strait when ripping off rounds. Absolutely awesome. So far it fits all my other Shield holsters. Now to change out the sights. 2 is 1 and 1 is none.
S

Last edited by smallfry; 04/13/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Will they add the 45 ACP? How many rounds can fit?

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I looked at one of those Shield Plus models the other day, and danged if it didn't feel really good, almost good enough to buy. I didn't buy it though, and didn't buy the 365XL, either. In fact, I didn't buy anything. Nothing was flippin' my switches. I simply can't find anything I want right now, period. I don't quite know what I want right now, but whatever it is, I ain't found it yet.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have the Shield (not the plus) and a 365XL, I like both but to me the 365XL has a little different grip angle or something. I have to work a little to get the sights to line up. I do not seem to have that issue with the Shield.
I have not seen the Shield Plus but for those that have, is the grip about the same on the Shield Plus as it is on the Shield?
Thanks

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by smallfry
Will they add the 45 ACP? How many rounds can fit?

Likely adding the .45 ACP to the Plus lineup would not increase round count. At most by one. Much fatter round.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by pullit
I have the Shield (not the plus) and a 365XL, I like both but to me the 365XL has a little different grip angle or something. I have to work a little to get the sights to line up. I do not seem to have that issue with the Shield.
I have not seen the Shield Plus but for those that have, is the grip about the same on the Shield Plus as it is on the Shield?
Thanks

Same angle. Just ever so slightly fatter. Most people say the slight increase in width is either unnoticeable or an improvement.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
thanks, I found a shop that has one for either 559 or 599 I don't remember which but I am going to try and check it out this weekend

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A slightly wider/thicker grip would be a good thing I think. The standard single stack Shield is a touch narrow in my opinion.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MOGC
A slightly wider/thicker grip would be a good thing I think. The standard single stack Shield is a touch narrow in my opinion.

Agreed.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
241 members (300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,652 guests, and 899 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,926
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.