-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm all gas on chainsaws, but a coarse blade in a battery powered sawzall makes quick work on small stuff.

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Homelite made a battery powered kit with a chainsaw, hedge trimmer and weed eater. The batteries that came with it were not worth a chit but I found Ryobi 18v batteries worked. Sixteen years later I'm still using the chainsaw a nd hedge trimmer (someone stole the weed eater) I clean my shooting lanes with them every year and have cut saplings up to 4 inches in diameter with the saw

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by flintlocke
My cordless is a Husqy 372XP 34 in full comp chain. Battery lasts forever.

How do you like that saw?

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by gkt5450
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have an 80v Kobalt from Lowes. It cuts as well as a friend's Dewalt. The Kobalt charger is a quick type, 30 min while his Dewalt takes closer to 1 hr.

This.

Yep. I use the Kobalt 80v chainsaw, and, also grass trimmer with hedge trimmer & pole saw attachments. They all work great. I have no need or desire to go back to gas saws and trimmers.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
I'm looking at getting a cordless battery powered chainsaw. It will be used to cut up fallen limbs at my residence and for cutting paths and shooting lanes at my hunting spot. Right now I'm eyeballing the 60 volt Dewalt. Anyone have any experience with battery powered chainsaws?

Ron

I bought and use a Ryobi 18volt Pole saw with the extension if you need extra length. It has the 8” blade.

I’ve used it a lot around my place and at the deer lease. I really like it.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I'm all gas on chainsaws, but a coarse blade in a battery powered sawzall makes quick work on small stuff.

To include deer processing. Never leave home without it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I just got the Stihl battery saw for light duty cutting. They only have 12 inch bars but for so far it works for me. Nice for cutting shooting lanes etc... I got tired of not having the gas saw ready to go as I don’t use if much and always dealt with fuel issues. The eGo got good reviews but I already had three Stihl batteries fro the blower, trimmer, and mower so it was a an easy choice. Trying to keep batteries simple with only going with Stihl and Dewalt (New Craftsman same batteries).

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
To answer your question without going off track....................I bought an Echo battery saw over 4 years ago and use it often. It is my go to saw for smaller jobs, On average the battery seems to last for about 30 minutes of cutting which is fine. We both seem to run out of "gas" about the same time.

If the job is mainly cutting up 3 inch limbs or smaller my go to is a Dewalt battery reciprocating saw with a coarse blade.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Current chain saw inventory: 50 yo Homelite 150 Automatic 14"; MS250 Stihl 16"; new Poulan Pro 18"; McCulloch 14" 120V and a DeWalt 20V 12". They all cut wood, some better than others. Haven't used the old Homelite lately, need to make a new cork gasket for the fuel cap.

Stihl gets most of the work in the woods, although I cut up enough wood with the 20V DeWalt last year, for cabin firewood in deer season. Mostly dead apple from 4 to 8 inches. 18 yo Stihl was on the fritz and didn't make the trip to camp in deer season. The 20V DeWalt was a gift, also came with a hedge trimmer. I like the little critter so far? Handy for small jobs around home and cabin.

The 120V Mac stays at camp, can cut up wood I fetch back to the cabin, where there's electricity. It was free from a customer years ago. Only thing wrong with it, sumbitch throws bar oil like a field sprayer.

Got another Poulan Pro because I had one years ago as a spare to the Stihl, eventually gave it to a farm boy cousin. He finally killed it after about 10 years. Got another $200 one, because he had the Poulan case and a half dozen chains I gave him.

I burn from 3 to 4 cords of firewood a year at home. Most of that was handled with the Stihl. I've done up to 24" red and white oak with it over the years, along with some ash and locust. Finally have a local source for ethanol-free gas, so that's all the Stihl gets now.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Away from home? It's simple to install a 1000w inverter to recharge saw batteries in the woods. If you want to plug it into your trailer light plug, make sure you have a large enough wire and fuse to the hot prong on the plug to handle the amps. You might need to beef up the ground wire, too.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey Bristoe, Thanks for the recommendation. My Echo 58V arrived today.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks to everyone for the input.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Ron

I think you'll like it. As mentioned, it takes a .043 gauge, 3/8", 56 link chain.

After using mine for a while I put a .050 gauge, 3/8", 56 link chain on it. It's fits the groove in the bar pretty tight at first, but it runs in after a few seconds.

You can also buy a .050 gauge bar for it and that's what I'll do soon.

This guy puts an 18", 50 gauge bar on his.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
#BambooKiller

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Ron

I think you'll like it. As mentioned, it takes a .043 gauge, 3/8", 56 link chain.

After using mine for a while I put a .050 gauge, 3/8", 56 link chain on it. It's fits the groove in the bar pretty tight at first, but it runs in after a few seconds.

Bristoe
As an aside....With a gas powered saw when your bar starts getting worn out it starts to cut circles, that's when a guy can put
a thicker chain on to take up the bar groove making it cut straight again.
I see no difference with a battery saw.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Ron

Bristoe
As an aside....With a gas powered saw when your bar starts getting worn out it starts to cut circles, that's when a guy can put
a thicker chain on to take up the bar groove making it cut straight again.
I see no difference with a battery saw.

Mine walks around a bit when the chain starts getting dull. But it's probably time for a new bar too. I'll put a 50 gauge bar on it when I replace it. As mentioned, I'm already running a 50 gauge chain in the original .043 gauge bar.

The saw has plenty of torque to run a .050 gauge chain. The company should put a .050 gauge bar on them to start with in my opinion. But the .043 chain will do the job, also. It's just that a .050 gauge setup is better.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My bud has a Stihl, 54 volt that is impressive, spendy tho

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Here's a comparison video which includes the Echo 58V and the Stihl. Overall, the Echo either ties or beats all of them,..including the Stihl,..which is an $800 saw. The Stihl has the fastest sprocket speed, but it doesn't have the torque to enable it to cut as fast as the Echo.

Echo 58V, $339 (including battery and charger)

Stihl 220C, $815 (including the biggest battery available and a charger)

The Echo cuts much faster.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 338reddog, 5 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 796 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,201
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.