Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm trying to decide on a primer pocket swager.

I've read and watched and still don't know what the best way to go is.

Years ago, a PD was using my local range...Noone wanted bulk 9-40-45-223 back then. Kinda funny looking back. Hardly worth bending over for. If only we would have predicted 2021 huh?

Anyways. I have a 5 gallon bucket full. Never touched it. Never even opened the bucket. Then 2021 came along.

The stuff was mixed and pretty grimy.

I've been sorting, popping primers and cleaning it....

Now, I've realized the 223 and 40s&w are crimped. And I've already deprimed and cleaned over 1500 pieces. Sort of invested at this point.

Clean n green PD shooting NT. Lol.

Can't decide what way to go for swaging the pockets.

If you had a few thousand cases to get through....what is your pick?

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I like my Dillion 600 Super Swage. I used to do the case chamfer thing and the RCBS ram mounted swager; but the Dillion is the best for large amount of brass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I use the RCBS version by hand (not chucked) for better cleaning of the primer pocket without altering pocket dimensions.

Added layers of tape to allow thumb/index finger rolling.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've used the RCBS Press mounted for yrs. then a friend of mine asked if I'd like to try his Dillon.Super Swage. I did all my 7.62 brass then switched over to the sm primer swage and did over 1k 556 brass and never broke a sweat. When I get another big batch of brass collected I'll borrow that Dillon again or buy my own. I know RCBS now makes a bench mounted similar to the Dillon but no experience with it.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanx guys! That's what I was looking for...didn't know if the bench mounted unit was easier/faster than the die for a single stage.

I don't mind the extra time/work...especially these days...I've just gone progressive and loading 223 and pistol ammo in bulk. Rather spend the money on a swager than buy all new brass when I have a bucket full of free brass...

Especially now that I've already deprimed and cleaned a good bunch of it. By weight, I have around 1200 223 cases and 750 40s&w cases ready. They must have mostly shot 40s&w....easily another 1500+ in the bucket. Not much 9mm or 45acp acp. 500 or so of each.

Will give me a supply till I hit the range at the right time again. Tough times for scrounging brass...lol.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Be gentle with a hole that never heals.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have used the RCBS press mounted primer pocket swager for thousands and thousands of brass Buy the Dillon 600 and never look back. You could buy a new one for $100.00, but not now. Used ones was selling for about $80.00. Guys were buying new, swaging then sale to recoup costs. The dillon is set up all the time ready to go.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Just remembered if doing pistol ammo 45,40 9mm etc you will need the other stems and parts. Still worth while investment.
https://www.dillonprecision.com/super-swage-600-parts_8_8_25290.html

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Dillon bench mount works good. My only snag was mixed headstamp brass, sometimes the case web is thicker or thinner causing not enough swage or to too much depending on the case.
Sort them and adjust the stem. Works much better. Look for videos of guys with rubber bands and springs wrapped around the lever making them self unload.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanx guys! Gunna get a dillon ordered.

I did come across various videos to make them self eject...seems like a good idea to speed the process.

Last evening I was cleaning up the benches and moved my cleaned 40s&w brass. Realized a good bit of it was not crimped. So I got them loaded up.

98% of the 223 brass is though so still need it.

Having a supply of 40s&w around isn't a bad thing. The 357sig and 40s&w sure seem to be fading off into the sunset. I love them all equally. Lol.

Just from a cost perspective, I will primarily load and shoot 9mm. Perks of having the same or similar platforms in different chamberings.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mauser06, thanks for asking the questions. I've also benefitted from the advice and got Dillon Super Swager ordered. Remember to add the swager adapter 9mm / .38 Special ( Stock # 62168) + $17.99.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Good call! Looks like I will need one for the 40s&w stuff too. If I ever wanna use that brass. I have enough non crimped 40s&w for the time being.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The quickest and easiest way I've found to remove primer pocket crimps is to cut them out with a countersink drill bit. One only costs a couple of bucks, I chuck one in my drill press, turn the drill on and hold a re-prime case against the bit for a second or two....and crimp is gone. I can trim about 20 cases a minute this way.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Mauser06
Good call! Looks like I will need one for the 40s&w stuff too. If I ever wanna use that brass. I have enough non crimped 40s&w for the time being.

Please show a picture of a crimped 40 S&W case? I've been reloading 40's since they came out in 1989 and I've NEVER encountered a crimped in primer from any manufacturer.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanx guys! Gunna get a dillon ordered.

As someone who owned a Dillon, its a complete waste of money. Buy a set of small and large primer pocket reamers, they are significantly faster and do not require any sort of set up or adjustment. I use them in an RCBS case prep center, but you can also chuck them up in a small drill.

Case prep is probably my least favorite part of reloading, I'll never waste my time again swaging out primer crimps.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer
Originally Posted by Mauser06

Please show a picture of a crimped 40 S&W case? I've been reloading 40's since they came out in 1989 and I've NEVER encountered a crimped in primer from any manufacturer.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Sure looks crimed. Sure acts crimped. But I have no idea. Until now, I've only loaded rifle and bought new brass for them. Best I can tell though, those are crimped primers.

I tried Google searching and found a few older threads on various forums saying non-toxic stuff is usually crimped for whatever reason..including 40s&w. I have no idea.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Used this RCBS bench mount swagger to begin with when I first started loading .223 and had a bunch of mixed range brass, mostly crimped. Got it because my bro n law had one. Works fine.

https://www.rcbs.com/case-processing/accessories/primer-pocket-swager---bench-tool/16-9474.html

Then got this Lyman case prep center that has pocket uniformers, pocket cutters, pocket cleaners, chamfering and deburring, all mounted and turning. Pick up a trimmed and deprimed case and run thru everything else you need to do to it before you put it back down.

What about longevity of the primer pocket; swagged vs cut? Does cutting take out enough metal to matter? And does swagging get the case head off level or out of square that you can really tell?

https://www.lymanproducts.com/case-prep-center-xpress

Last edited by shootem; 04/03/21.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I figured out how to use my RCBS case trimmer to ream primer pockets with a Lyman reamer tool. Works good. Last time I timed myself, I went through about two hundred an hour. And with no blisters on my thumb.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 44automag, 5sdad, 10 invisible), 2,127 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,174
Posts18,465,401
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.