Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#15905454 03/16/21
J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Anyone use it for ticks? Didja use the spray for your cloths or cream on your body? Gotta blue mountain bear hunt coming up in may, bastards are thick. Thanks

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Buy 10% Permethrin from farm supply store. Usually used for horses. Mix at 5.5 ounces to 1 gallon of water for a 0.5% solution. Wear plastic gloves and dip your outer garments in the solution in a large plastic storage bin. Hang wet clothes until air dry. Solution maybe a slight irratint to some but safe when dry. Don't dispose of solution in any ponds or waterways because it kills water species. Effective for about six washings. Military contract issue BDUs are woven from thread saturated in Permethrin. Arthropods die after walking across 8" of treated cloth.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I spray a bunch of work clothes and turkey hunting stuff. The spray says it lasts about 6 weeks. Since ticks seem to be the worst in may and june around here. I usually dont bother to reapply. I give everything a good coating and one of these 24oz bottles lasts a while.

epellent&utm_content=994330&gclid=Cj0KCQjwrsGCBhD1ARIsALILBYqkknzeQYQ9J7BRgdtMhq3oqRoGkxtcGAVVogDnlsk0KtUirP4hDjMaAtmkEALw_wcB

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Been doing this ever since I got a tick disease. Buy it just like bobmn said, mix it up in a 5 gallon bucket but only mix 3 gallon up. Put clothes and socks in and put a brick on them to keep submerged and come back in 30 minutes and wear rubber gloves and wring out what I can and hang to dry outside. Haven’t had a tick since I started doing this.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Clothes get Permethrin and skin gets Picardin.

IC B2

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Copy thanks gents, we don’t have em too bad on the westside like some of you guys do, don’t wanna fuuck with em on a 2 week trips. How bout dogs? Anyone use it on dogs?

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It is used on dogs , horses ,cattle. I put it in a sprayer and spray my draft horses and I get sprayed in the process. No ticks, no horse flies, no mosquitos. I spray around my cook tent and my tipis. I don't have ants crawling around all over.
I soaked my clothes when going to Africa. Did not get any fly bites.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used the Ben's Tick Repellent that last couple spring and haven't picked up a tick on during day trips. I think the main ingredient is Picardin.

I haven't tried Permethrin for ticks specifically but it works wonders on keeping skeeters away.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Judman
Copy thanks gents, we don’t have em too bad on the westside like some of you guys do, don’t wanna fuuck with em on a 2 week trips. How bout dogs? Anyone use it on dogs?

No go on spraying dogs. As mentioned get a soresto collar . Last about 3 months and work well

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Picaridin for your skin, don't put permethrin directly on you, it's toxic when wet.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by bobmn
Buy 10% Permethrin from farm supply store. Usually used for horses. Mix at 5.5 ounces to 1 gallon of water for a 0.5% solution. Wear plastic gloves and dip your outer garments in the solution in a large plastic storage bin. Hang wet clothes until air dry. Solution maybe a slight irratint to some but safe when dry. Don't dispose of solution in any ponds or waterways because it kills water species. Effective for about six washings. Military contract issue BDUs are woven from thread saturated in Permethrin. Arthropods die after walking across 8" of treated cloth.

DO NOT apply farm and industrial permethrin on your clothing. The other ingredients in the mixture are not designed or suitable for clothing!

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

The larger adult ticks are more easily seen on skin or clothing.

The ones to really worry about are the pre-adult nymphs that are very tiny and usually result in undetected bites and usually are more likely carriers of tick-borne diseases.

Birds, rodents, small game and especially deer are hosts to the diseases. Ticks just spread them to humans...on occasion.

As noted, Picardin 20 for the skin.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I use sawyer brand made for clothes. Follow the label (don’t apply while wearing) and never on skin. It does work but I usually double down with some deet when I get out of the truck. I had RMSF and don’t want to have a second case.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"DO NOT apply farm and industrial permethrin on your clothing" Joe why? Please provide references. Thanks.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by MallardAddict
Clothes get Permethrin and skin gets Picardin.

This is what I do also. Ticks are no joke. Good luck!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
TAG

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Judman
Anyone use it for ticks? Didja use the spray for your cloths or cream on your body? Gotta blue mountain bear hunt coming up in may, bastards are thick. Thanks

Used the snot out of it for years - spray or soak the clothes, and seal up the pants and sleeves. I like the Elim-A-Tick undershirts as well.

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
The farm and ranch stuff sometimes uses petroleum products that make it stick to animals better. It will have a smell to it, but I never had any trouble otherwise. Look for more inert additives or see if you can smell it before buying.

I think it will kill cats and don't want to get it in any pond or water where there's fish.

Putting it on your skin neutralizes it, it is not toxic in any percentages people use to stop critters.

https://sawyersafetravel.com/FAQPermetherin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"DO NOT apply farm and industrial permethrin on your clothing" Joe why? Please provide references. Thanks.

You READ the sentence following that, right??

Thanks.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm so glad I live in a place where I've never seen a tick, I hate those things.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
get out in the oakbrush this spring, and you will.....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I'm not big on turkey hunting. I'll be down on the cricks, fishing. Never seen any down there either, even on the dog.

J
Judman Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
West side of the mountains here ain’t bad, east side can be pretty bad I guess. I’ve had a couple one in my neck, one in my nutsack, both after packin out bucks. Gonna try the application recommended here. Gonna be camped quite always outta town, don’t wanna mess with em. Thanks for all the advice. 👍

Ain’t easy havin pals.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Picadarin is nice too that it doesn't have the smell that DEET does. At least the Sawyer's brand.

He went over yonder way
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL, joey, I know there are ticks here, never said there weren't.

Fact is, I've never seen one here, including on two dogs that have come and gone. You want to tell me different?

Great detective skills though, you rock dude.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The other ingredients in the mixture are not designed or suitable for clothing!" I have been treating clothing with no detrimental effects for years. Some may object to the slight smell that rapidly dissipates with drying. If that is objectionable use the 0.5% Sawyer solution which is totally oderless but much more expensive. Topical spray does not last very long.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole

Fact is, I've never seen one here, including on two dogs that have come and gone. You want to tell me different?

The "nymph" stage of most ticks are so small they are very difficult to detect. THAT could be why you have never detected them. Their tiny size belies their danger *IF* they are carrying disease.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have used it for many years... just spray your clothes and the ticks never make it to you...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The other ingredients in the mixture are not designed or suitable for clothing!" I have been treating clothing with no detrimental effects for years. Some may object to the slight smell that rapidly dissipates with drying. If that is objectionable use the 0.5% Sawyer solution which is totally oderless but much more expensive. Topical spray does not last very long.

ALL manufacturers indicate that the industrial and farm formulations should not be used on clothing even when diluted. The binding ingredients are a different petroleum derivative. The Sawyer's acts more like a dye to the fabric and becomes non-toxic to skin. The military infuses clothing with a formulation similar to the Sawyer's concentration.

Sawyer's lasts approx 42 days or 6 washings. Factory infused fabrics last much longer and is more stable over long periods of time. Sunlight WILL lower the effectiveness.

Further study will likely convince you.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sawyer's carrier solvent is a synthetic kerosene CAS # 64742-47-8 which is manufactured by Exxon under the Isopar-M trade name. It is frequently called low odor kerosene. It is different than regular kerosene. Current kerosene's have a slight odor but nearly so much a years ago distillations.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
carry a bottle of clear finger nail polish with you all the time . if you get a tick on you paint its ass with the f. p. to kill it . don't pull it out it can cause an infection that can f you up . i spent 6 days in the hosp. and had to have surgery to get the infection out

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 44mc
carry a bottle of clear finger nail polish with you all the time . if you get a tick on you paint its ass with the f. p. to kill it . don't pull it out it can cause an infection that can f you up . i spent 6 days in the hosp. and had to have surgery to get the infection out

Modern method: tweezers. Some specially suited for tick removal.

You leave it in...problematic as the tick's mouth is it's muzzle and it's saliva is it's bullet.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If you're in a real tick heavy area I've found the repellent effect at least of the Sawyer permethrin spray diminishes after every single washing. On freshly treated clothes you can actually watch the insects die as they walk across it. But I've gotten bitten by ticks that had made it across permethrin treated clothes that had been washed a few times.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I wouldn't dispute that finding as I usually re-apply after third washing even after using a gentle detergent.

Trudging through SW and NW deserts and mountains have so far been lucky in not getting bit. Years ago, coming home from a climbing expedition that entailed some bushwhacking, felt an adult tick that just had started to attack my arm pit...glad I felt it...

Yeah, be sure to thoroughly wet the garments with extra attention to cuffs, belt line, etc. before allowing to dry. Don't scrimp on the amount applied. Some apply two applications.

You can send off your hunting clothes to companies that will treat your items more thoroughly or purchase apparel that is factory treated which is more likely to wear out before the permethrin does.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't have much useful to add after all the good input, but I do remember sitting in camp one summer and enjoying watching mosquitoes land on my pants, walk around for a bit and then take off and spiral off into the ground. No ticks where I live, so didn't get to try it on them. I'll be sure to use it for my next Oklahoma trip. Probably does a good job on chiggers too!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You are fortunate in Oklahoma to have only five tick-borne diseases that affect humans:

https://oklahoma.gov/health/prevent...ickborne-and-mosquitoborne-diseases.html

You may have less in YOUR state...dunno.

Some states have twelve.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

The "nymph" stage of most ticks are so small they are very difficult to detect. THAT could be why you have never detected them. Their tiny size belies their danger *IF* they are carrying disease.

Right. I'm sure that over the twenty years I had dogs running all over the place without flea collars or powder, all the nymph-stage ticks that got on 'em just died and never grew up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I gotta say I learned something from you all today - never heard of these products & I’ll certainly be trying them this season.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
good stuff, just picked some more up along with some thermocell refills. Turkey season starts tomorrow. My father has had rocky mountain spotted fever, and we are seeing more and more of folks down here getting the one that gives you meat allergies. That would suck. I had to go to the emergency room once from a tick bite after something become very swollen. I was walked proud for a week.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Right. I'm sure that over the twenty years I had dogs running all over the place without flea collars or powder, all the nymph-stage ticks that got on 'em just died and never grew up.

Yo, genius...you wake up needing to study up on numerous subjects.

Study up and c'mon, back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Fun facts:

https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/datasurveillance/index.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Flyme%2Fstats%2Findex.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5879012/

There's more:

https://academic.oup.com/jme/article/48/2/327/893233

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compound/Permethrin

https://secure.medicalletter.org/w1579b

https://www.boldsky.com/health/disorders-cure/list-of-tick-borne-diseases-130049.html

There are at least 1000 research papers that can be obtained at no cost with a little searching.

For those with an interest in the subject, several books can bring you to a class 099 to 101or better knowledge base:

Ticks, Biology, Disease and Control - Bowman/Nuttall find online PDF

Biology of Ticks Vol1 - Sonenshine/Roe find online PDF

Tick-Borne Diseases of Humans - Goodman/Dennis/Sonenshine

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

There are at least 1000 research papers that can be obtained at no cost with a little searching.

Yeah, and if I'd ever seen a tick in my 22 years here, they'd be worth searching for.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Ignorance works for you on a high level.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's funny, it's not working for you at all.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S joe twezzers will squezz the tick guts back in you just like your fingers will . some time if you shut up people won't know how stupid you are

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You just are a deliberately stupid angry old man.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 44mc
S joe twezzers will squezz the tick guts back in you just like your fingers will . some time if you shut up people won't know how stupid you are

You just showed us how stupid YOU really are.

Study up, genius.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
We are loaded with ticks in my area and ever since I started using Sawyer’s around 7-8 years ago I have never found a tick on my skin since.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

You just are a deliberately stupid angry old man.

No, just one who ain't seen a tick in over 20 years and therefore don't give two sh*ts about em.

But keep on posting links, it's fascinating.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
RMSF ain’t no joke, but it pales in comparison to the alpha gal allergy caused by ticks. Imagine spending the rest of your life unable to eat any mammalian meat whatsoever. One burger and you get go into shock and take an epi pen and an ambulance ride (if you are lucky). Fish and chicken for the rest of your life. I had RMSF but my father had the alpha gal allergy. Bad stuff.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
You are fortunate in Oklahoma to have only five tick-borne diseases that affect humans:

https://oklahoma.gov/health/prevent...ickborne-and-mosquitoborne-diseases.html

You may have less in YOUR state...dunno.

Some states have twelve.

Yes, one of my neighbors in Oklahoma contracted RMSF, it was pretty bad on her. She's probably still recovering years later. Fortunately I don't get any on me there very often, or even see them very often. I think the fire ants help keep them down. Burning helps too.

None up here in AK, other stuff, but no damn ticks, at least that seem to get on people. I guess there some that get on squirrels and hares, but I've never had the pleasure of seeing one.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Ticks and chiggers are really bad here. I treat clothes with Permanone. It comes in an aerosol can and is sold at most farm stores here.Amazon sells it.
It is permethrin made for spraying on clothes. Sawyers is permanone.
It is the best tick repellent anyone knows of here. All the farmers in the hills treat their clothes with it. It isn't absolutely reliable but it works better than mosquito repellents.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Alaska is fortunate in that regard...so far:

https://dec.alaska.gov/eh/vet/ticks/

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah, Permanone is a trade name for the chemicals of Permethrin.

https://www.cdpr.ca.gov/docs/risk/rcd/permet_s3.pdf

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Was out working in central Kansas last weekend and had numerous ticks crawling around on me and inside the truck cab. Brought back fond memories of MO ticks, well not really. Gonna try that Sawyer stuff for sure. And if the dogs tag along, guess they'll need some collars for first time ever. At least no chiggers encountered.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 30338
Was out working in central Kansas last weekend and had numerous ticks crawling around on me and inside the truck cab. Brought back fond memories of MO ticks, well not really. Gonna try that Sawyer stuff for sure. And if the dogs tag along, guess they'll need some collars for first time ever. At least no chiggers encountered.
I use K9 Advantix II for Hank. Since then haven't found a tick on him. Dose him once a month. I'd suggest that over a collar.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Another bit of pest advice;

If you just put “Sheriff Joe” on ignore you can avoid a LOT of ignorant, time wasting drivel.

His mental ward should really limit his internet access

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use Sawyer’s and find it very effective.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Anteloper
Another bit of pest advice;

If you just put “Sheriff Joe” on ignore you can avoid a LOT of ignorant, time wasting drivel.

His mental ward should really limit his internet access

YOU hate that I prove YOU an ignorant, deliberately stupid hater.

Let us know when you ACTUALLY are conversant and knowledgeable about ANY subject. ANY subject at all.

EVERY time you post...you say nothing other than your little man complex.

You enjoy being stupid. Do go on, genius.

Your whannnbulance is standing by.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
[quote=K1500]I use sawyer brand made for clothes. Follow the label (don’t apply while wearing) and never on skin. It does work but I usually double down with some deet when I get out of the truck.

Exactly what I do.

NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Give the Picaridin stuff a try. It’s a lot more pleasant to use and won’t melt stuff like DEET. Don’t think it can cause allergic reactions like DEET either, but not sure.

My old Remmy 581’s stock finish was marred by DEET about 100 years ago.

Permethrin is the beans. I always keep Sawyers on hand. I treat my wife’s gardening clothes so the gnats and skeeters don’t get her while she’s growing our food.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sawyers has worked very well for me in tick infested KS this year. And it lasts for several wash cycles. I retreat after 3 but it was still working up to then.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
231 members (257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 36 invisible), 2,202 guests, and 959 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,641
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.