Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Rock Chuck ,

howdy .
That bridge gets quite a bit of action .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Anybody have any musical talent make a John Anderson remix- Hanging on the bridge “Just A Swingin.” Y’all can fill in the rest of the remix.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Where's Batman when you need him ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The next time any of you travel that portion of 84, follow the signs to Malad Gorge State park and walk out on the walking bridge.
It will only delay your trip a few minutes and is worth the time taken.
You'll never be sorry.

https://stateparks.com/malad_gorge_state_park_in_idaho.html

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com]

Hard to tell just from that pic (and I didn't read the whole article so this may be covered) but the grill looks to be resting on a rock ledge. If so the safety chains wouldn't be holding that entire pickup's weight.

I chukar hunt a lot not too awful far from that bridge. It isn't too long as the Malad River Gorge isn't real wide so you're past it quickly at 75 MPH. Still a scary deal and "no" to AcesNeights and AZMark...I believe the incident you're referring to was on the Salmon River Dam, about 40 miles south of the Malad River Gorge.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Rock chuck, is the bad bump on the east or west bound lanes or both? My wife and I will be heading west across that bridge in a couple weeks, each driving separate vehicles and each pulling trailers.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
That just proves why you should always carry a 100' rappelling rope in the cab. The man and woman could have rappelled out and not worried about rescue. Don't know about the pooches, though. grin

L.W.

Yeah, make sure to be prepared with a repelling rope or parachute, you never know when you will need it.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The TV clip from Boise had clear view of the side of the pickup. Looked, like a 3/4 ton crew cab with a tall lift kit and big tires. That plus high freeway speeds and a bump can start a violent trailer sway.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rufous
Rock chuck, is the bad bump on the east or west bound lanes or both? My wife and I will be heading west across that bridge in a couple weeks, each driving separate vehicles and each pulling trailers.
It's on the west end of both sides. I think it's worse westbound. With soft springs it won't seem bad but in my Dodge 3/4 ton, it's a good hit.

Hard to tell just from that pic (and I didn't read the whole article so this may be covered) but the grill looks to be resting on a rock ledge. If so the safety chains wouldn't be holding that entire pickup's weight.
That's the camera angle. It's a ways out from the rocks.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The news said they were a 67 & 64 yo couple from Garden City UT (Bear Lake). It didn't mention the bump but did say they started to sway and lost control. The semi driver that nosed in and chained to them deserves a free dinner.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
These canyons around here have been busy this spring. There's this one. A month or so ago we talked about the guy who went off the Salmon Falls Dam south of here. Then last week, a young woman committed suicide by driving over the edge right next to the Sportsmans Warehouse in Twin Falls (there's a mall built on the canyon rim). She'd been missing for a while and was screwed up in the head.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stomatador
The news said they were a 67 & 64 yo couple from Garden City UT (Bear Lake). It didn't mention the bump but did say they started to sway and lost control. The semi driver that nosed in and chained to them deserves a free dinner.
It is possible that a wind gust up the canyon caught them. The bridge has high sides to help that but it's not a cure all. I'll still bet on the bump.
I couldn't tell from any of the pics if he had an equalizer hitch or sway bars. That might have saved him.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Always nice to have tow truck following behind.............sounded like that guy got a hook on the truck pretty quickly to help keep it in place. Don't know if they were lucky or unlucky as the gorge is only ~75yards wide where they went over. Little further and they would have been in the median. Hell of a ride for sure.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Did anybody notice the ISP spokesman was officer Hightower? LOL.

Going over that bridge in a couple weeks when I get to go to Podunk Utah and visit with Mr. Tikkanut. Do a little desert riding.

Last edited by BluMtn; 03/17/21.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by stomatador
It is possible that a wind gust up the canyon caught them. The bridge has high sides to help that but it's not a cure all. I'll still bet on the bump.
I couldn't tell from any of the pics if he had an equalizer hitch or sway bars. That might have saved him.

Having a trailer start to whip gives an instant pucker factor, seeing the bowels of hell as you jumped the rail would test ones heart. I still say the dude hauling the terragator that chained up to hold them deserves a free meal, as well as the guy that crawled over to put the chain on.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by centershot
Always nice to have tow truck following behind.............sounded like that guy got a hook on the truck pretty quickly to help keep it in place. Don't know if they were lucky or unlucky as the gorge is only ~75yards wide where they went over. Little further and they would have been in the median. Hell of a ride for sure.
It wasn't the tow truck. It was the driver of that green semi with the fertilizer spreader on the trailer.

The weak spot on most receiver hitches is the chain loops. The ones on either of my hitches aren't nearly strong enough to handle something like they. I'm sure they would have broken.

― George Orwell

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Thinking about changing out the S hooks on the trailer for 1/2 inch hardened steel quick link repair shackles.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Thinking about changing out the S hooks on the trailer for 1/2 inch hardened steel quick link repair shackles.

I have 5/16 spring gate hooks on my horse trailers. I would hope those folks didn’t have those chickenshit S hooks for that 30’ trailer!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by centershot
It wasn't the tow truck. It was the driver of that green semi with the fertilizer spreader on the trailer.

The weak spot on most receiver hitches is the chain loops. The ones on either of my hitches aren't nearly strong enough to handle something like they. I'm sure they would have broken.

That's what I get for listening to KMVT. lol

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We stopped at the park, had a nice lunch and walked out onto the foot bridge. It was indeed a worthy stop and quite enjoyable. I saw a quail, spotted towhee, rockchuck and heard a Western Meadowlark and smelled the sage. I have missed the west! Nice to be back.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
653 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1911a1, 74 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,846
Posts18,402,771
Members73,824
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.