24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline

Not sure where to post this, but since it is an Alaskan..seems natural here. I am currently finishing up the conversion of my 1895G to 450 AK Imp, and desperately need a set of dies for it. I do have a set, but they
are for the original 450 Straight; they work, but would like to get the correct set. I have talked to all of makers, and the wait is ridiculous, like two years... Somebody must have a set they don't need I buy can off them..or know somebody that does have one?

I am in the finally throws of this, and should be testing it this weekend if the weather holds out here in eastern CO.

Thanks,
577NitroExpress... <<< I built one of these too.

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Suggest posting this in the Big Bore Levers and Classifieds forums also.

Cool wildcat round.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Suggest posting this in the Big Bore Levers and Classifieds forums also.

Cool wildcat round.

Thank you will do. Yes, I'm excited to go shoot it. MUCH myth and misconception around it for sure... smile

577Nitro

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 577Nitroexpress

Not sure where to post this, but since it is an Alaskan..seems natural here. I am currently finishing up the conversion of my 1895G to 450 AK Imp, and desperately need a set of dies for it. I do have a set, but they
are for the original 450 Straight; they work, but would like to get the correct set. I have talked to all of makers, and the wait is ridiculous, like two years... Somebody must have a set they don't need I buy can off them..or know somebody that does have one?

I am in the finally throws of this, and should be testing it this weekend if the weather holds out here in eastern CO.

Thanks,

Just run you chambering reamer in the ones you have

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have heard of the 1895 being made into a 450 Alaskan. I always thought the Marlin 1895 was to short for that cartridge, shows what I know. There is a guy on Campfire that goes by "450 Fuller". He may be able to point you to some dies.

IC B2

OP Offline
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by 577Nitroexpress

Thanks,

Just run you chambering reamer in the ones you have

Dies are hardened to 50 Rockwell, would not cut and probably destroy the reamer..and be too large.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I have heard of the 1895 being made into a 450 Alaskan. I always thought the Marlin 1895 was to short for that cartridge, shows what I know. There is a guy on Campfire that goes by "450 Fuller". He may be able to point you to some dies.

As long as the COL. is 2.55” or less it fits fine and cycles cleanly. Only have to open up the front of the loading gate slightly to handle the fatter mid section, if You use the 450 Straight you don’t have to modify anything.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

You can purchase die blanks. Sizer reamers are available from Dave Kiff

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
OP Offline
Originally Posted by jwp475

You can purchase die blanks. Sizer reamers are available from Dave Kiff

Awesome did not know that I was going to try and use a 5 inch piece of left. Over .50 cal barrel I have from a double I built and ream it out.

Ill check out Dave Kiff on some blanks.

Thanks
577nitro

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good to know.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
577-PM me when you can -
There is some confusion among the uninitiated about the 450 Alaskan. They are wildcat cartridges,
so the dimensions may vary. The "real 450 AK is the cartridge designed by Harold Johnson of Cooper Landing, AK. in the 1950s-
It has about a 25 degree shoulder.

Ballistically, the performance of the 450 Alaskan or 450 Fuller, is about equal to the 45-90 WCF.
It surpasses the 45-70 by quite a bit.
A "Straight" 450 has no shoulder and it is not a true 450 Alaskan. It is a long tapered case made from the 348 WCF ,
just like the original. It resembles the 45-90.
There are those who think it may feed better in the 86/Model 71 action.
Both versions properly chambered will work like they are supposed to. RCBS makes the correct dies.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
OP Offline
Originally Posted by 450Fuller
577-PM me when you can -
There is some confusion among the uninitiated about the 450 Alaskan. They are wildcat cartridges,
so the dimensions may vary. The "real 450 AK is the cartridge designed by Harold Johnson of Cooper Landing, AK. in the 1950s-
It has about a 25 degree shoulder.

Ballistically, the performance of the 450 Alaskan or 450 Fuller, is about equal to the 45-90 WCF.
It surpasses the 45-70 by quite a bit.
A "Straight" 450 has no shoulder and it is not a true 450 Alaskan. It is a long tapered case made from the 348 WCF ,
just like the original. It resembles the 45-90.
There are those who think it may feed better in the 86/Model 71 action.
Both versions properly chambered will work like they are supposed to. RCBS makes the correct dies.

You are correct on all accounts. I have the gun done, and its shoots fantastic. At this point I'm just testing loads, I proofed it like I always do on a build, tied it down to tire and use a string and stand behind my truck. NO problems, measurements perfect, just as I expected from a Marlin 1895G. The rounds cycle as fast as I can move the lever and not a single jam, I did smooth and polish all internal parts, and it cycles like butter.

Quality Cartridge sells formed and head stamped brass, and as much as you want. For me this has been a no brainer, lower pressure for 45/70 equal loads, or greater velocity for equal pressure...its a win win, I just can't be happier with it.

I've seen on other post about guys complaining about the recoil..and sold theirs off...I don't understand that mentality, just reduce the loads to 45/70 equivalent.

I'll post velocities when I finish up testing if anybody interested.

577Nitro

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
470 members (1Longbow, 160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 45 invisible), 2,142 guests, and 991 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,596
Posts18,398,160
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.