Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Please post my dates of service.......Michael E. Werner. Late 70's entry, USMC.

You officially have my permission.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
Jeff, it should be easy enough to verify his military service. I'll let you know

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Jeff, it should be easy enough to verify his military service. I'll let you know

I am curious to hear if Capstick was indeed a Green Beret.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Please post my dates of service.......Michael E. Werner. Late 70's entry, USMC.

You officially have my permission.

Post them yourself.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
You're free to believe what you want to believe, but so am I. Different perspectives generally lead to different beliefs.

Hatari, who claims to have known PHC ...

Yes, I did know Peter. As mentioned, there are others here that did also. SCI was a smaller club in the 1980s and early 1990s. If you knew any of the old hands, you could be introduced to a wide circle of characters.

Fred Slater was my introduction to just about anybody at the annual SCI convention, because Fred knew everybody, everybody liked Fred. Fred introduced me to Peter in 1988, and I saw him every year after. That covers a period where divorced from Cathrine, left Ft. Meyers, moved to South Africa and married Fiona. Peter was generous with his help when I tried my hand at writing magazine articles and pointed out “photos often sell the story. Oh, and free-lance is fun, but it doesn’t pay.”😉

So maybe Toltecgriz will be along and tell the story about how a young and green PHC high centered a land rover taking clients out of his camp back in the day, or any of the others here that knew PHC as I did from SCI and corresponded with him. Or at least they “claim” they did. 😁

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Hatari, who claims to have known PHC .

do I detect a slight air biscuit of incredulity here? Tell you what, ACE. Hatari is a very close personal friend and can ASSURE you, everything he says here and everywhere is the truth.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B2

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
It befuddles me that someone would focus solely on one line in an obituary when the person in question wrote literally millions of published words and never mentioned it.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I just finished reading "Death In The Silent Places". Very good read.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

do I detect a slight air biscuit of incredulity here? Tell you what, ACE. Hatari is a very close personal friend and can ASSURE you, everything he says here and everywhere is the truth.

No disrespect toward Hatari was ever intended. I would assume that if he felt slightly, he would be man enough to address me directly rather than needing you to defend his honor.

I thought that among Naval aviators, ACE was something to be aspired to by the front line aviators who were involved in aerial combat.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No disrespect toward Hatari was ever intended. I would assume that if he felt slightly, he would be man enough to address me directly rather than needing you to defend his honor.

I thought that among Naval aviators, ACE was something to be aspired to by the front line aviators who were involved in aerial combat.

Attached Images
popcorn.jpeg (6.01 KB, 233 downloads)

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UPhiker
It befuddles me that someone would focus solely on one line in an obituary when the person in question wrote literally millions of published words and never mentioned it.

I find fraudulent claims of military service to be offensive.

I never read or heard of PHC being in the military before reading the piece by Tink Nathan.

Maybe PHC serviced in the U.S. Army, maybe he didn't, I don't know. JorgeI claims that he can find out, so we'll just have to wait and see what he finds, assuming that he actually follows through.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
PHC nowhere i can find claimed such. let it rest for Petes sake. pun intended

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by hatari
You're free to believe what you want to believe, but so am I. Different perspectives generally lead to different beliefs.

Hatari, who claims to have known PHC ...

So maybe Toltecgriz will be along and tell the story about how a young and green PHC high centered a land rover taking clients out of his camp back in the day, or any of the others here that knew PHC as I did from SCI and corresponded with him. Or at least they “claim” they did. 😁

Since you asked...
Peter was a good camp companion and an amazing story teller. Most of the events related in "Death in the Long Grass" took place while he was hunting out of my camp (after some unfortunate events in his own area) or shortly thereafter. While the stories as written were good, one would not recognize them from having dinner with him (and others) every evening, not to mention having to intervene in some difficult situations in which he placed himself. I have nothing really bad to say about him. He was a writer looking for stories and he found them. We've had some good discussions about him, mainly some years back.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don’t give two hoots if he stretched the truth or not.

He was an amazing storyteller and that’s all I need to know.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Then you should maybe learn how to express yourself better? BTW, "Ace" is standard monicker by skiers, regardless of warfare specialty, not necessarily meant to disparage and easily substituted by "dude". Maybe "dude" would have been more apropos in your case?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UPhiker

I find fraudulent claims of military service to be offensive.

I never read or heard of PHC being in the military before reading the piece by Tink Nathan.

Maybe PHC serviced in the U.S. Army, maybe he didn't, I don't know. JorgeI claims that he can find out, so we'll just have to wait and see what he finds, assuming that he actually follows through.

I'm working on it. All it takes is some due diligence on the internet and gov't archives. No "secret backdoor" involved here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago I read in one of Capstick's books about a muscular man that became the object of a tug of war between two lions and the man was quickly separated from his head. Anyone know who that was or in which book?

Black Olives Matter!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gents, an update of PHC's military record, my friend who is pretty good at this stuff (he's a history buff and digs through all kinds of gov't records at such places like the National Archives, etc), has not yet been able to find his record. Ideally, besides a name and DOB, the person's SSN is the best way and we don't have that. Might take a bit longer, but we'll continue to try. As an aside, where exactly (in what book?) did PHC claim military service as a Green Beret? I remember something about ROTC at UVA but can't quite remember.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
jorgeI;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust the weekend was a fine one for you folks and that all who matter to you are well.

With all this discussion about PHC here, I've started to re-read my modest collection of his works, but am starting with Maneaters solely because it was first in the lineup.

For the life of me I can't recall PHC mentioning US military service in the books I have, but as mentioned mine isn't the exhaustive works by any means.

Anyways sir, I'm following this with interest and will continue to read through the books I've got since one might as well, you know?

All the best to you all sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Howdy, Dwayne, best to you as well, sir. Like you, I can't recollect him mentioning it either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gents, an update of PHC's military record, my friend who is pretty good at this stuff (he's a history buff and digs through all kinds of gov't records at such places like the National Archives, etc), has not yet been able to find his record. Ideally, besides a name and DOB, the person's SSN is the best way and we don't have that. Might take a bit longer, but we'll continue to try. As an aside, where exactly (in what book?) did PHC claim military service as a Green Beret? I remember something about ROTC at UVA but can't quite remember.

jorge1, i have all his books, and have scoured them for anything relating to Military service. the only thing i have found is in his book Maneaters, page 105 he alludes to some type of military service or at least deadly conflict. i always assumed it was in the Rhodesian Bush War. no where else have i come across him claiming service in any nations military.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 62 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,659
Posts18,455,662
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.