Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
BOWHUNR Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Love him or hate him I can't let March pass without a shout out to him. His books played a very large part in what made me decide to hunt in Africa.

As I Remember Capstick
By Tink Nathan

Peter Hathaway Capstick died in Pretoria, South Africa just before midnight on March 13th 1996 from a thrombosis following cardiac triple by-pass surgery. At his request, only his wife Fiona and her sister attended a private cremation ceremony. Fiona scattered Peter’s ashes over the Chobe River in Botswana with elephants and a herd of Cape buffalo in attendance. Peter will now remain a part of the land he loved so much.

Peter was 56.

I first hunted with Peter in the mid 1960’s when he was a student at the University of Virginia. We hunted groundhogs in the springtime between Remington and Scottsville Virginia. I was privileged to meet Peter again, in about 1976 or 1977 when he came up to me at a sporting goods show in Houston, Texas, and introduced himself to me. I had heard of Peter Capstick, and learned his last name for the first time. I had always called him Chapstick, and he never corrected me. He told me he was one of my readers, as I was a contributing editor of Bowhunter Magazine at the time, and he told me he enjoyed bowhunting. We managed to spend some time together and managed to down a few Pearl beers over some enchiladas.

Peter told me of his amazing life, and we kept in touch. It turns out Peter and I had hunted groundhogs in Virginia ten years before. I saw Peter at some outdoor shows and SCI conventions over the years and started communicating with him when I made plans to move to South Africa.

Peter always had time for my calls, and his sage advice was welcome and dead right on target. I guess the best advice he gave me was not to come over to Africa, which I ignored, and came over anyway. Not too many people knew that Peter did some bowhunting in New Jersey, and I think he told me he once nailed a whitetail, sometime in the 1960’s.

Peter attended the University of Virginia, at Charlottesville, and it seems our paths crossed once or twice at Clarks Gun Shop in Remington, Virginia where we rifle hunted groundhogs, and where we first met on a Saturday on a spring day in the mid 1960’s. Peter was buying ammo and looking for a place to hunt groundhogs. I invited Peter and his University buddy to join me for a woodchuck hunt, and went to a farm that we hunted. We sort of lost touch when he graduated, I was getting ready for my first African safari and he was quite envious of my trek to Mozambique. He remembered me clearly, but I could not place him. Peter first came over to Africa in 1968 but spent quite a bit more time here in Africa than I did. Peter also hunted South America and always preferred the jungle and bush to the city and pavement.

After arriving in South Africa, I called Peter. I was a bit nervous about attending the first AGM / annual convention of the Professional Hunters Association of South Africa (PHASA), and asked Peter if I could sit with him. He told me I was always welcome at his table. Being the only two Americans in PHASA who lived here, he showed me the ropes, and apparently enjoyed being my silent mentor. He introduced me to his many friends, and showed me the correct path during the following years.

Early in our homesteading days in Africa, my miniature smooth haired dachshund Meg became ill and was at deaths door from dehydration, tick bite fever and a pinched nerve in her spine. She had become infested with ticks while guarding my wife and her lady client at a waterhole in the lowveldt, during a safari. We had to bring her in for surgery and treatment to a government research facility outside Pretoria, and I called Peter to see if we could stay with him and Fiona. He said he was a bit bored and could stand some company. We had just driven all night with the sick dog, and we had just completed a long safari with clients from France, and were exhausted when we arrived at his villa in Pretoria. Peter and Fiona made us welcome, and the next four days at Peter and Fiona’s were like a vacation in a grand Parisian hotel. They fed us like Kings, and we sometimes snuck out and grabbed a pizza. We shot pool or snooker in his pool room/office, where he wrote his many best sellers, his books and articles. We shot air rifles in the garden, shooting at empty 9mm brass cases. We talked of Africa, the Africa of old, and the new South Africa, and the Africa of tomorrow. He told me his favorite unpublished hunting stories, and I told my stories, and we discussed people he knew, and those we liked and those we did not like. It was strange we had come to the same conclusions independently.

While Peter was a man of Africa, he was still an American, and we talked endlessly about Africa and her wildlife, until he was ready for the sack. Peter liked to retire early, and after he bid us goodnight, I read those books of his that I did not own, and watched his extensive wildlife video collection, and videos of his hunts. He seemed to enjoy my company and was only to willing to sign, and in fact resigned and autographed several of his books he first signed in 1988 in the USA. He was very chuffed that I had purchased the first impression, first edition of his classic Death in the Long Grass. I gave Peter a small gift for putting us up, and putting up with us for almost a week while the dog healed. It was a videotape of my 1987 Elephant and Buffalo bowhunt in the Selous in Tanzania. Peter was fascinated with the video, and asked a hundred questions. After he hit the rewind button, he told me that he was amazed at the quality of the video, and after that it appeared my ratings with the former stockbroker rose 100 points. He then told my wife Donna Rae and I it was the best hunting video he had ever seen. Coming from Peter, it was an important and deeply appreciated compliment.

Peter was by and large a happy man, doing what he liked to do. There were times he gave the appearance of being grouchy, but it may have been due to health concerns. Peter loved people, and truly enjoyed them at times, but he treasured his tranquility and his very private home life. Peter was ever vigilant in his home, and carried his 9mm parabellum pistol from room to room as he moved about his home. He never forgot he was in Africa, and he never let his guard down. He told me the most dangerous animal in all of Africa walked on two legs. I think it was out of concern for his beautiful wife Fifi, as he called her and not so much for his own protection.
Speaking of firearms, he was very pleased that Art Alphin, honcho of A-Square Firearms, named his .470 Capstick after him. Peter was presented the first rifle made, which was a Winchester Model 70, and while I was visiting Peter, he told me he was forced to return his .470 Capstick to the Winchester factory for some minor repairs. There was a minor problem that might have slipped by a dozen professional hunters, but Peter found the glitch and had it corrected.

Peter told me he admired my guts, but not my intelligence, for bringing my lady to Africa at such a bad time, but he understood me. I think. Peter was quite surprised that I survived my first two years living in the remote bushveld of the Soutpansberg Mountains of the far Northern Transvaal of South Africa. Peter felt it was impossible for an American, like me, to become an outfitter and professional hunter in South Africa. Peter pointed out that old Rhodesia was, in many ways more civilized as far as culture, languages and security wise than modern South Africa was. In one of his books, Peter wrote that he had weekly letters from young Americans who aspired to become a professional hunter in Africa. Peter said in print “an American would have a better chance of winning the Victoria Cross than to become a professional hunter in Africa.” He told me with a wide smile “Tink, I think you have won the Victoria Cross and don’t yet know it.” I doubt if he knew that I knew what he was referring to, but I told him I knew the passage and treasured his comments. Peter was always kind and polite.

Peter was a kind man, and a truly caring person. At a hunter’s convention, I introduced him to a young black professional hunter, named Ross, who had been a classmate of mine at professional hunter’s school. As we took our seats, Peter became instantly aware that this young professional hunter had no one to sit with, as most of the tables were reserved or filled. Peter went to Ross, and insisted that Ross dine at his table next to Fiona. All real hunters were welcome at Peter’s table, and Peter was the classic U.V.A. gentleman. The University of Virginia, nicknamed U.V.A., produces gentlemen of the first water. Peter was a perfect gentleman to one and all. Peter was a kind man.

Peter once saved my life and when I thanked him, he made me promise never to mention it, since he didn’t want me to be embarrassed in having to tell the tale. Needless to say, I will always be in Peter’s debt. Peter did things other people would never do. He killed two Cape buffalo with a spear. Once to do it, and once again to prove it wasn’t a fluke. Peter had a dream from the time he was a small boy, and that was to go over to Africa to live. Peter lived out his dream, or was it his dream? Peter lived a life of adventure, then took the time to commit to his stories, and the stories of Africa, past and present, to the printed page. He was the world’s best storyteller.

Peter heard the stories we all do in Africa, but he captured them, edited, and polished them, and preserved them forever. Peter wrote twelve books, and sold more than any other hunting author in history. He made and appeared in many videos, so those who had never met him could someday see him on the small screen. Peter wrote stories for the French magazine FIRE, and for the leading South African hunting journal MAGNUM, as well as OUT THERE. It is said that Peter brought more hunters and people to Africa, though his works, than any other person. Peter not only wrote about Africa, but he lived Africa. Only someone who comes from far away can appreciate Africa. He spoke often about the people that were lucky enough to be born here and to live here a lifetime, seldom, if ever, appreciated in Africa. Peter did.

Writers and readers far more skilled than I, will discuss Capstick’s works well into the next century. However it was my wife that noticed his writing style, and pointed out to me that each paragraph told a story and his colorful writings jumped of the pages and bit deep into your soul when reading his work for the first time. A close friend told me that Peter was aware of some coronary circulatory problems as far back as two years, but avoided the confrontation with the cardiologist. I tracked his 1996 medical progress through a source outside of Fiona, and was relieved to hear the heart operation went well on March 5th, 1996. I sent him a get-well card that I am sure he never saw. Fiona told me that she had taken it to the hospital and that he really enjoyed hearing from me.

On Friday March 15th, I got the call about Peter’s death. I could not believe that Peter had left us. I could not accept that someone who was so vibrant and dynamic and full of life was gone. As I write this in April 1996, I am not yet over the shock. On March 16th, I wrote a letter and faxed it to some of the hunters and friends across the world that knew and loved Peter. It wasn’t much, but it was all I could think of at the time. I have the original folded and tucked away in one of his books that he had signed for me. It said something like this. Peter Hathaway Capstick passed away etc. Today Peter is on a hot spoor of a mighty black bull, in a land of dagga boy buffaloes, in a valley with massive elephants with thick tusks, and clever cats. Tonight Peter shares a small gleaming campfire with hunters from another time, such as Selous, Taylor, Bell, Harris and others. Peter was truly a son of Africa. Our prayers and thoughts go out to his devoted and beloved wife and soul mate, Fiona.

Peter was a giant of a man, with a heart as big as Africa, yet strong and straight as a new arrow. With out a doubt, Peter was one of the finest, if not the finest writer of our age. A man who turned his back on fortune, the family Hathaway shirt business, and went of into the jungles of Viet Nam to fight in freedoms name as a green beret officer, an American special forces soldier, and to Africa to fulfill a child’s dream. Peter, you did it all so bloody well too. You never got a client killed, you never got tossed in jail and you never stepped on a mamba. You lived your life, every second’s worth to THE MAX, and you were a gentleman the whole time. You were a man’s man, a man that women lionized, and you did America proud. You showed Africa just what could do when the chips were down. You took care of your clients, and hunted like a sportsman, with ethics and true responsibility.

There isn’t a good way to go out of this world, and while we both know you would have liked to go out in a tangle with a bull elephant, at least you were spared a long lingering struggle with a slow painful disease, and months of incarceration in a sterile, somber place of men in white suits, plastic pipes, needles and tanks of air. Hell Peter, you went out fighting. I choose to remember Peter as the well tanned, highly irrelevant, very witty and very funny guy who did his own thing, and didn’t “give a rats ass” about what other people thought. Peter had forgotten more about hunting than most people will ever learn. He loved African wildlife, and yet took endless delight in raising Koi, the oriental goldfish like creatures. He loved rifles, and all that go with them, yet he hunted with a bow and a spear, and loved all of nature, the good, the not so good, and the ugly.

Peter was one of the few truly happy people I have ever known. Peter was a hunter, and then a writer. Peter was a living legend in his own time, yet he was humble, simple and down to earth, a regular guy. Peter was a really nice guy, a super person, and I was fortunate to have had Peter as my friend. We will miss Peter.

Keep your powder dry, keep your nose in the wind, and watch your back trail, old friend.

Tink Nathan, Professional Hunter, Outfitter
9930 Hughes Ave.
Laurel, MD 20723-1744
Telephone 301-369-3096
E-mail tinkbowhuntingsafaris.com

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
thanks for posting this i enjoyed reading this post about Peter Capstick ,i have seen all his video and they also were very enjoyable .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
His books are ones you CANNOT put down once you start reading. I was a fan from the first day I started when I was in high school. Thank you for posting this today!

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Yep. His books are awesome.

Like everybody else I read every African hunting book I could find from age 10 on up. I was the only kid in my high school to ever do a book report on anything written by Ruark, which was "Something of Value". I was the only one, including the teachers that knew any real history of Africa. I guess it comes from having been born in Pretoria, and the family living in SA during the mid sixties...during those scary times. I do remember Dad telling me that the company issued the field techs 9mm pistols to carry for protection, and insure that their cars were in tiptop shape as you didn't want to break down in the field.

He did carry the gun always, even in the house, same as PHC, he told Mom it was for snakes so she wouldn't worry about the two legged ones. We had servants, a maid/nanny and a houseboy...the house boy got drunk one night and got into a fight with another man over his wife...with Pangas, Dad had to drive him to hospital he was chopped up pretty good.

We had mambas, cobras, and all other sorts of critters in the yard. Mom was terrified of them, as one should be, and often refused to go outside. We went to Kruger a few times, got charge by elephants, even have a old an movie reel of it.

Dad got transferred to the West Indies from there, to run NASA's tracking stations for the Man In Space projects and the Lunar landing.

I always wanted to go back to SA and be a Pro Hunter, hoping my dual citizenship (at that time) would make it easier. But that all faded away with the new government.

Just my 2cents.
577Nitro-

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have read most of his books and loved them. He had a unique gift as a writer in that he could subtly entwine humor with the macabre without coming across as tacky. He was somewhat dismissive with that which was shocking to to the reader. I think that spoke to the reality of life in the long grass. He passed way too young.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
After reading Death in the Long Grass, I planned and made my first of 16 safaris the following year.....Headed back in September.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thank you for that; it is much appreciated. On a number of occasions, I sent Mr. Capstick articles that I had clipped from newspapers concerning animal attacks here in the U.S. He never failed to reply with a postcard of thanks.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Hard to believe he was only 56 when he died. He packed a lot of adventure into those short years.

Last edited by dieselfitter; 03/19/21.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
As much as I like Capstick, a lot of what he wrote proved to be more fiction than fact. I really liked Ruark who didn’t stretch the truth when he wrote about his hunts with Harry Selby. Unfortunately he drank himself to death by the age of 39.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have two full sets of PHC's books. one set i read the other is first editions.
i have heard people claim he wrote falsehoods but have never seen or heard anyone prove it with facts.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I enjoyed his books............. a lot.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Death in The long grass is probably my favorite book...ever!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Great reading and He likely would have been a good hunting camp companion.
Les

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks for your recollections. I reread his books over this long winter. Peter was a very talented Writer, a lot like Ruark, I think.

"not too grumpy"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BulletBud
As much as I like Capstick, a lot of what he wrote proved to be more fiction than fact..

Prove it.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Thanks, nice comments, I have never hunted Africa other than via his books and I love them all.

Benefactor Life Member NRA, Arizona Hunter Education Instructor
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
As much as I like Capstick, a lot of what he wrote proved to be more fiction than fact..

Prove it.

Somebody posted on this site some years ago that he knew the PH that PHC cited in a story about culling cape buffalo and when asked about it, the PH who was with PHC said that PHC took some liberties with it to make it a better story. IIRC, that PH also claimed that PHC borrowed adventures that other PHs had and claimed them as his own.

I have no direct knowledge about whether PHC wrote the stories as they happened to him, or if he took artistic license to make them more exciting stories, or if he borrowed stories from other PHs and claimed them as his own. Regardless of how much is true, how much is exaggerated, or how much is borrowed, they are still good stories. Besides, the guy has been dead for over 25 years and dead men tell no tales.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dobegrant
Thanks, nice comments, I have never hunted Africa other than via his books and I love them all.

Have you got any good Skeeter Skelton stories for us?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've enjoyed reading his material for years, as it is inexpensive and easily found. Hell, even Haggard's Quartermain is interesting, and it's entirely fiction. Since retirement about 12 years back, I've taken to shaking out and purchasing works by Harris, Cummings, Bell, Selous, Oswell, Akeley, Burchell, Bull, Patterson, Ruark, Corbett, the Johnsons and many lesser known writers with many going back into the 1830's. Such can get expensive as many of those works are mostly found in Europe.

Half the adventure back then was simply getting there with a need to endure months at sea and walking across the continents since motor craft were yet to be invented. Interesting to note too that many considered Africa pretty well shot out by the 1870's. Things were even worse after rinderpest made its pass through the continent in the late 1800's. It's obvious now that Capstick borrowed heavily from others experiences, but to his credit, he brought material to light that most would never make the effort to find.

Other early books by explorers, seafaring captains, etc are also fascinating reads occupying several shelves as well. It is truly incredible what a goal oriented human spirit can endure.

I pray when I buy the farm, the kid doesn't simply lob my bookshelves into a dumpster.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/21/21.

1Minute
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I never knew quite what to think of Capstick hosing a troop of baboons in a palm grove with a MAC-10. He certainly wrote fondly of it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GrouseChaser:

Given most of us will never live in Africa, there is a very deep seated and sincere hatred for baboons. Fascinating animals, but they will exploit near any advantage to the point of stalking and attacking humans.

Readings suggest the silverback gorillas are one of the most terrifying animals one can ever encounter, but there's essentially no evidence they ever attacked a person in the wild.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
I never knew quite what to think of Capstick hosing a troop of baboons in a palm grove with a MAC-10. He certainly wrote fondly of it!

if a pack of dogs,coyotes,wolves etc attacked and killed someone you knew or even one of your pets, would you not "hose" them out of existence? i know i would in a heart beat.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I think the writer's from my youth were far and away better writer's than those around today. Back then it was stories, today, well last I'd read the junk, it's all about commitment to some company selling guns, ammo and equipment. The good old days are gone! No more story teller's. Last good one I read was Jim Carmichael when he first took over for O'Conner but he also changed and could not or simply didn't tell story's any more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
it's all about commitment to some company

I think one is pretty much right on there.

Yeh though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil, for thy Remington 700 in 338 Lapua carrying a Nighforce 6-18X scope launching a 220 grain Nosler partition ahead of 87 grains of IMR 4895 ignited by a Federal 250 large rifle primer and pushed through a Shaw competition barrel is with me. Today's videos with commercials, lists of sponsors, patches, and product placements are essentially 20+ minutes of commercials in a 30 minute show. Our published rags exhibit about the same level of substance.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Saddest for me is the fact that today's magazines are nothing like what they used to be. I used to wait impatiently for each month's issue of Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, and Sports Afield to read the stories of adventures that I could only dream about. Sports Afield seems to be trying to bring that back, but the rest are nothing but advertisements.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I never knew that Capstick had been in the Military. Did he ever write of his experiences during his Service ?

"not too grumpy"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser

if a pack of dogs,coyotes,wolves etc attacked and killed someone you knew or even one of your pets, would you not "hose" them out of existence? i know i would in a heart beat.

He even made sure he left enough of them alive to restart the colony somewhere else.

Sounds quite considerate to me.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by oldwoody2
I never knew that Capstick had been in the Military. Did he ever write of his experiences during his Service ?

I never read that PHC was in the military, much less that he was a U.S. Army Special Forces officers. He was born in 1940, so he would have graduated from college around 1962. If he didn't receive a commission through ROTC, he would have had to spend three or four years to cover his enlisted basic training, OCS, Infantry Officer Basic, Special Forces school, and then the time necessary to complete his obligation. That wouldn't have left him much time to become much of a stock broker before he quit Wall Street. Maybe somebody with better GOOGLE FOO skills than me could find his military dates of service, but the time line seems a little fishy to me.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

I've never read that he was and I've read most of his books.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I well remember when he died. He was supposed to give the keynote speech at the closing night banquet at the SCI convention in Reno. I had tickets because I wanted to hear him speak. He fell ill that afternoon and his wife took over for him and gave the address. A few days later he was flown to RSA for treatment. The rest is history.. RIP...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Prove it.

Somebody posted on this site some years ago that he knew the PH that PHC cited in a story about culling cape buffalo and when asked about it, the PH who was with PHC said that PHC took some liberties with it to make it a better story. IIRC, that PH also claimed that PHC borrowed adventures that other PHs had and claimed them as his own.

I have no direct knowledge about whether PHC wrote the stories as they happened to him, or if he took artistic license to make them more exciting stories, or if he borrowed stories from other PHs and claimed them as his own. Regardless of how much is true, how much is exaggerated, or how much is borrowed, they are still good stories. Besides, the guy has been dead for over 25 years and dead men tell no tales.

I knew Peter, and have written about here. There are a few others here that met him, knew him or interacted with him.

For anyone who wants to insinuate Peter plagiarized stories without giving credit never read his works carefully. Peter fully disclosed those stories that were 1.) narratives of events that he was not a part of and 2.) those that occurred to him. “The Killer Baboons of Vlackfontein.” happened to him as did "Mamba Means Death". His stories of about being a cropping and game control officer in Zambia were true. He published photos of his licenses and passports.

Peter never claimed to be the world's greatest PH, but just a lucky guy that got to live out his greatest dreams. He made no secret that he embellished stories to jazz them up. It worked! We read them! There is no doubt that when he first apprenticed with Geoff Broom in Rhodesia (sic) that he was as green as you could be in Africa. He talks about this somewhat in his book "Safari - The Last Adventure" Said chances of becoming an African PH for an American that did not grow up in the country, with the people, speaking the multiple languages, being in the bush from or ranch from birth is nearly an impossible feat.

So I'll leave it right there for now. I liked Peter, and he was very kind and generous to me with his time and were friendly for a time until he passed. Hater will be along shortly to bash him. C'est la guerre!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jdollar
I well remember when he died. He was supposed to give the keynote speech at the closing night banquet at the SCI convention in Reno. I had tickets because I wanted to hear him speak. He fell ill that afternoon and his wife took over for him and gave the address. A few days later he was flown to RSA for treatment. The rest is history.. RIP...

I was at that one too.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great post, Jeff.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I agree. I'll never make it to Africa but he made me want to do it. I've always found it "strange" that all of his detractors never came around until way after his death. He was well known and got his start with Winchester, so people knew about him. I liked his one story in Death In The Long Grass where his client said it was his first lion/leopard. Capstick was new at the time and thought "it's my first one, too". He was very self effacing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I agree. I'll never make it to Africa but he made me want to do it. I've always found it "strange" that all of his detractors never came around until way after his death. He was well known and got his start with Winchester, so people knew about him. I liked his one story in Death In The Long Grass where his client said it was his first lion/leopard. Capstick was new at the time and thought "it's my first one, too". He was very self effacing.

Maybe because internet sites like this exist 25 years ago?

Since people that knew him have noted that he acknowledged that he embellished his stories, "jazzing" them up to make them better stories, I'll take their word for it.

The Tink Nathan obituary that started this thread cites his military service in Vietnam as a Special Forces officer. Given the timeline, it seems fishy to me. If PHC did claim military service that never happened, I would consider that an excessive embellishment.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Since people that knew him have noted that he acknowledged that he embellished his stories, "jazzing" them up to make them better stories, I'll take their word for it.

The Tink Nathan obituary that started this thread cites his military service in Vietnam as a Special Forces officer. Given the timeline, it seems fishy to me. If PHC did claim military service that never happened, I would consider that an excessive embellishment.

1. Like I said, I've never read where he claimed military service so maybe the obituary writer mixed it up.
2. Many of his stories first appeared in Guns & Ammo, back when everyone read it. So he was well known well before his death.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I stand corrected. Ruark was 49 when he died of cirrhosis

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari

Prove it.

I knew Peter, and have written about here. There are a few others here that met him, knew him or interacted with him.

For anyone who wants to insinuate Peter plagiarized stories without giving credit never read his works carefully. Peter fully disclosed those stories that were 1.) narratives of events that he was not a part of and 2.) those that occurred to him. “The Killer Baboons of Vlackfontein.” happened to him as did "Mamba Means Death". His stories of about being a cropping and game control officer in Zambia were true. He published photos of his licenses and passports.

Peter never claimed to be the world's greatest PH, but just a lucky guy that got to live out his greatest dreams. He made no secret that he embellished stories to jazz them up. It worked! We read them! There is no doubt that when he first apprenticed with Geoff Broom in Rhodesia (sic) that he was as green as you could be in Africa. He talks about this somewhat in his book "Safari - The Last Adventure" Said chances of becoming an African PH for an American that did not grow up in the country, with the people, speaking the multiple languages, being in the bush from or ranch from birth is nearly an impossible feat.

So I'll leave it right there for now. I liked Peter, and he was very kind and generous to me with his time and were friendly for a time until he passed. Hater will be along shortly to bash him. C'est la guerre!

I don't hate PHC. I don't think that I bashed him, I just repeated what I've read on this site and clearly stated that I had no direct knowledge of him or the background of the stories that he wrote. I never read about him being a Special Forces officer in Vietnam and the timeline seems too tight to be true, but that is what I think, not what I know. Given that he embellished his stories, maybe that was just another embellishment. Besides, its all moot, since PHC has been dead for over a quarter century.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I've never read that he was and I've read most of his books.

I have never come across anything where he mentioned such.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
in his book Maneaters, page 105 he alludes to some type of military service or at least deadly conflict. i always assumed it was in the Rhodesian Bush War. no where else have i come across him claiming service in any nations military.

Last edited by deerstalker; 03/31/21.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

You need to understand that Tink Nathan is as full of sh*t as a Christmas turkey....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JimH

You need to understand that Tink Nathan is as full of sh*t as a Christmas turkey....

So, are you saying that nothing in Tink Nathan's obituary is true or that some of it has been embellished to enhance PHC's resume? If Nathan really was such a good friend of PHC's as he claims, I wonder why he would embellish military service that might not have happened? Maybe he was just repeating what PHC told him?

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

So, are you saying that nothing in Tink Nathan's obituary is true or that some of it has been embellished to enhance PHC's resume? If Nathan really was such a good friend of PHC's as he claims, I wonder why he would embellish military service that might not have happened? Maybe he was just repeating what PHC told him?
One question---have you read any of his books? I'm asking because several here who have, have said that Capstick never mentioned it. Yet, someone, in one obit, says something and take it as gospel. You say that you don't want to denigrate Capstick, yet you continue to do it. Maybe Tink wasn't lying, but just mistaken?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

It seems internet sites give people a platform to continually post things they heard on the internet so often that it becomes a reality.

Of course Capstick was a story teller. That's what sells books. He added color and creative narrative to create interest. I am of the opinion that a lot of people enjoy trying to bring down the big dogs and that's what you see with those running down PHC.

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Thanks for the thread. I've always appreciated his writings.

Retired cat herder.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Tink has a tendency to be a bit extravagant at times...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There’s no doubt PHC was a compelling story teller but a I think the book most interesting to me was WARRIOR: THE LEGEND OF COLONEL RICHARD MEINERTZHAGEN.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

There’s no doubt PHC was a compelling story teller but a I think the book most interesting to me was WARRIOR: THE LEGEND OF COLONEL RICHARD MEINERTZHAGEN.

Meinertzhagen was a facinating story, but I struggled with Peter's adaptation of his life and adventures. Peter admitted to me he had run out material for his quick stories and was venturing into more serious writing and it was tough for him without a better writing background. As he said to me half joking "I'm not worthy of tying WIlbur Smith's shoe and wish I could give my subjects justice like he could."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In looking back over Tink's obit on PHC, the only think that I can't confirm from knowing Peter or other sources is his military service. Also, I was my recollection he dropped out of UVA without graduating. Maybe his draft number came up then, but he never mentioned that period to me.

The rest of it is spot on. Peter was as a rule a friendly and gregarious guy, with a d=good sense of humor. Back in the 1980s when SCI was smaller and still focused on hunting and not art and jewelry, the banter and English school boy insults and digs that he'd engage with the other African hands on the floor was indeed pleasant banter amongst friends. When SCI was at the MGM at Reno, there was a long bar adjacent to the gaming floor, so close you stand at the bar and lean over the rail and place bets. That was the meeting place - the water hole for all the PHs and close friends immediately following the 5p shutdown, especially on Thursday and Friday evenings. Peter would hold court there and the stories would fly. No doubt he collected material from just those evenings. Old Zambian hand Abie DuPlooy used to razz PHC as a "bloody bar tender", because he took a stint at Victoria Falls as a Food and Beverage manager at a hotel during one offseason. Even Abie admits "He tells a bloody good story. I have them all!"

Last edited by hatari; 04/01/21.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

One question---have you read any of his books? I'm asking because several here who have, have said that Capstick never mentioned it. Yet, someone, in one obit, says something and take it as gospel. You say that you don't want to denigrate Capstick, yet you continue to do it. Maybe Tink wasn't lying, but just mistaken?

Yes, I've read several of PHC's books, he was a great story teller..

I'm just responding to what I read on this site, nothing more.

Tink Nathan, who claimed to be an intimate friend of PHC's, wrote it, so you'd have to ask him, if he is still alive.

When a person is well known for embellishing his stories, how do you ever know where the truth stops and the embellishment begins? That doesn't mean that the story isn't a great story, but there is a difference between fact and fiction, isn't there?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
i would need strong "for instances", before i would call any of PHC's "embellishments", fiction. the man was such a stickler for fact. Maybe, and a very faint maybe some of the experiences written in the first person were borrowed from others but i would need proof of it.
problem is many youngsters today have no idea what life was available in the late 50', the 60's, if one can remember those, and even early 70's.
the 50's were halcyon days of opportunities for anyone that wanted adventure. 60's if you stayed out of Uncle Sams employment anything went. 70's were ok.
Peter Capstick lived as an adult in those days. it is very well documented that he spent time in many places where every day was an adventure. and every night.
he wrote about those in a manner that seems to make some jealous of his existence. get out and live.
just my opinion. i have spent many many days by PHC's side. the experiences shared are unforgettable. He off in some foreign exotic place and me safe at home.
Thanks Peter.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
You're free to believe what you want to believe, but so am I. Different perspectives generally lead to different beliefs.

Hatari, who claims to have known PHC said that PHC embellished his stories in order to make them better stories. In this thread he posted the following, "He made no secret that he embellished stories to jazz them up.". Look up the definition of "embellish", "to make (a statement or story) more interesting or entertaining by adding extra details, especially ones that are not true.". Even without any embellishments, he had the discipline, the vision, to make his dreams of living an excited life come true.

I don't think poorly of PHC, actually I don't think of him at all unless someone brings him up on this site. My perspective on PHC is that he was a guy with the knack for spinning a better than average tale and he found a way to turn that skill set into an additional income flow. A lot people have marketable skills that they never exercise. I remember JOC writing in H&B West that his Mother talked about writing a book, but, like most people, she never had the discipline to follow through with it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff, it should be easy enough to verify his military service. I'll let you know

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
260remguy. you are absolutely right ! each of us has the right to our opinion and likes. and even at this advanced state of decrepit physical being, i would fight to the death for your right. be well.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Tinks obit contains LOTS of BS regarding PHC. Tink obviously never served in the US Army when he refers to PHC serving in Vietnam as a “Green Beret Special Forces officer”. First of all, PHC would need to become commissioned as a 2LT either through OCS or ROTC. That would take at least several months. Next would come Infantry Officer Basic, which took 9 weeks back in the late 1960’s or early 1970’s. I know because I went through IOBC back in 1970. Next would be 3 weeks of Airborne School at Fort Benning. Last but not least, Ranger School took at least 80 days back in this time period. Add up all the necessary training and PHC just couldn’t have accomplished it, plus a minimum of 12 months in Nam. I doubt he ever served a day on active duty.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I doubt he ever served a day on active duty.

Tink or PHC?

So many people (no, not you) know so little about the military and the process and training these days that flaws are easy to find. I cringe every time I see "so and so enlisted to become an officer". Not that enlisted cannot become officers, and indeed some notable ones do but it's a process and not overnight.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He certainly had a great way of keeping my attention in the books I've read of his. Loved his writing!

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Enjoyed his books, but my favorite of his was the airgun sniping of 9mm empty cases from a pretty good distance. I like long distances with an air rifle. Still I have more than one of his books. Be Well, RZ.

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Winston Churchill.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Please post my dates of service.......Michael E. Werner. Late 70's entry, USMC.

You officially have my permission.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
Jeff, it should be easy enough to verify his military service. I'll let you know

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

I am curious to hear if Capstick was indeed a Green Beret.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Please post my dates of service.......Michael E. Werner. Late 70's entry, USMC.

You officially have my permission.

Post them yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're free to believe what you want to believe, but so am I. Different perspectives generally lead to different beliefs.

Hatari, who claims to have known PHC ...

Yes, I did know Peter. As mentioned, there are others here that did also. SCI was a smaller club in the 1980s and early 1990s. If you knew any of the old hands, you could be introduced to a wide circle of characters.

Fred Slater was my introduction to just about anybody at the annual SCI convention, because Fred knew everybody, everybody liked Fred. Fred introduced me to Peter in 1988, and I saw him every year after. That covers a period where divorced from Cathrine, left Ft. Meyers, moved to South Africa and married Fiona. Peter was generous with his help when I tried my hand at writing magazine articles and pointed out “photos often sell the story. Oh, and free-lance is fun, but it doesn’t pay.”😉

So maybe Toltecgriz will be along and tell the story about how a young and green PHC high centered a land rover taking clients out of his camp back in the day, or any of the others here that knew PHC as I did from SCI and corresponded with him. Or at least they “claim” they did. 😁

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Hatari, who claims to have known PHC .

do I detect a slight air biscuit of incredulity here? Tell you what, ACE. Hatari is a very close personal friend and can ASSURE you, everything he says here and everywhere is the truth.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
It befuddles me that someone would focus solely on one line in an obituary when the person in question wrote literally millions of published words and never mentioned it.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I just finished reading "Death In The Silent Places". Very good read.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

do I detect a slight air biscuit of incredulity here? Tell you what, ACE. Hatari is a very close personal friend and can ASSURE you, everything he says here and everywhere is the truth.

No disrespect toward Hatari was ever intended. I would assume that if he felt slightly, he would be man enough to address me directly rather than needing you to defend his honor.

I thought that among Naval aviators, ACE was something to be aspired to by the front line aviators who were involved in aerial combat.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

No disrespect toward Hatari was ever intended. I would assume that if he felt slightly, he would be man enough to address me directly rather than needing you to defend his honor.

I thought that among Naval aviators, ACE was something to be aspired to by the front line aviators who were involved in aerial combat.

Attached Images
popcorn.jpeg (6.01 KB, 233 downloads)

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
It befuddles me that someone would focus solely on one line in an obituary when the person in question wrote literally millions of published words and never mentioned it.

I find fraudulent claims of military service to be offensive.

I never read or heard of PHC being in the military before reading the piece by Tink Nathan.

Maybe PHC serviced in the U.S. Army, maybe he didn't, I don't know. JorgeI claims that he can find out, so we'll just have to wait and see what he finds, assuming that he actually follows through.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
PHC nowhere i can find claimed such. let it rest for Petes sake. pun intended

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by hatari

Hatari, who claims to have known PHC ...

So maybe Toltecgriz will be along and tell the story about how a young and green PHC high centered a land rover taking clients out of his camp back in the day, or any of the others here that knew PHC as I did from SCI and corresponded with him. Or at least they “claim” they did. 😁

Since you asked...
Peter was a good camp companion and an amazing story teller. Most of the events related in "Death in the Long Grass" took place while he was hunting out of my camp (after some unfortunate events in his own area) or shortly thereafter. While the stories as written were good, one would not recognize them from having dinner with him (and others) every evening, not to mention having to intervene in some difficult situations in which he placed himself. I have nothing really bad to say about him. He was a writer looking for stories and he found them. We've had some good discussions about him, mainly some years back.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don’t give two hoots if he stretched the truth or not.

He was an amazing storyteller and that’s all I need to know.

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Then you should maybe learn how to express yourself better? BTW, "Ace" is standard monicker by skiers, regardless of warfare specialty, not necessarily meant to disparage and easily substituted by "dude". Maybe "dude" would have been more apropos in your case?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I find fraudulent claims of military service to be offensive.

I never read or heard of PHC being in the military before reading the piece by Tink Nathan.

Maybe PHC serviced in the U.S. Army, maybe he didn't, I don't know. JorgeI claims that he can find out, so we'll just have to wait and see what he finds, assuming that he actually follows through.

I'm working on it. All it takes is some due diligence on the internet and gov't archives. No "secret backdoor" involved here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago I read in one of Capstick's books about a muscular man that became the object of a tug of war between two lions and the man was quickly separated from his head. Anyone know who that was or in which book?

Black Olives Matter!!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gents, an update of PHC's military record, my friend who is pretty good at this stuff (he's a history buff and digs through all kinds of gov't records at such places like the National Archives, etc), has not yet been able to find his record. Ideally, besides a name and DOB, the person's SSN is the best way and we don't have that. Might take a bit longer, but we'll continue to try. As an aside, where exactly (in what book?) did PHC claim military service as a Green Beret? I remember something about ROTC at UVA but can't quite remember.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
jorgeI;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust the weekend was a fine one for you folks and that all who matter to you are well.

With all this discussion about PHC here, I've started to re-read my modest collection of his works, but am starting with Maneaters solely because it was first in the lineup.

For the life of me I can't recall PHC mentioning US military service in the books I have, but as mentioned mine isn't the exhaustive works by any means.

Anyways sir, I'm following this with interest and will continue to read through the books I've got since one might as well, you know?

All the best to you all sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Howdy, Dwayne, best to you as well, sir. Like you, I can't recollect him mentioning it either.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Gents, an update of PHC's military record, my friend who is pretty good at this stuff (he's a history buff and digs through all kinds of gov't records at such places like the National Archives, etc), has not yet been able to find his record. Ideally, besides a name and DOB, the person's SSN is the best way and we don't have that. Might take a bit longer, but we'll continue to try. As an aside, where exactly (in what book?) did PHC claim military service as a Green Beret? I remember something about ROTC at UVA but can't quite remember.

jorge1, i have all his books, and have scoured them for anything relating to Military service. the only thing i have found is in his book Maneaters, page 105 he alludes to some type of military service or at least deadly conflict. i always assumed it was in the Rhodesian Bush War. no where else have i come across him claiming service in any nations military.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

jorge1, i have all his books, and have scoured them for anything relating to Military service. the only thing i have found is in his book Maneaters, page 105 he alludes to some type of military service or at least deadly conflict. i always assumed it was in the Rhodesian Bush War. no where else have i come across him claiming service in any nations military.

Agreed. I just "agreed" to look into it because it irritates me to no end, every time there is a PHC thread, the ankle biter brigade comes out trying to disparage the man when in reality, the ENTIRE African hunting industry owes their very existence to him, at least post 1980 when it was all but dead.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
jorgeI;
Morning again sir, thanks for the reply.

While I'm not an expert on much of anything, I'd suggest that you're not wrong about the state of the safari industry after Kenya and a couple other countries shut down hunting.

As I believe you know, we had friends of the family who lived in Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda and Zambia, so we kept a bit more updated on what was going on there than perhaps others might have. When we were taken out near the Rift Valley for a quick weekend hunt in late 1975 it left a lasting impression on me for sure.

One other thing that occurred to me in typing this response is that in the early '80's there was no .416 Rigby brass and even projectile choice was much slimmer. The .470 ammo one saw was ancient Kynoch as I recall it. When the safari industry kicked into gear enough that Federal loaded .470, it was something of note - or I thought so at the time anyways.

All that to say the "African" arms trade with all it entailed certainly benefited from PHC books too. I know my shooting mentor made a .416 Rigby because of reading African hunting books including PHC and he never ever mentioned a desire to hunt there, but did end up building that "stopper" at least in part because of the books.

Have a good week sir.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Agreed. I just "agreed" to look into it because it irritates me to no end, every time there is a PHC thread, the ankle biter brigade comes out trying to disparage the man when in reality, the ENTIRE African hunting industry owes their very existence to him, at least post 1980 when it was all but dead.

I never had any intention of pissing on a dead man's grave, but I don't think that it is out of line to point out that there have been different perspectives about PHC posted on this site by people who knew him.

In a thread started by The Shootist on 06/26/07, Toltecgriz posted the following on 06/28/07. "I didn't mean to be obtuse and didn't think I was. I didn't want to go into details again beyond what I've said previously. I was just saying there's more to the story than there appears That said, many of the stories he related in Death in the Long Grass did not happen as told by him. At the time I was with him, he was a nice guy and didn't drink that much. He was a decent camp companion, but I'm thankful he wasn't my PH.

He was a good story teller.".

Different people who knew him in different places, in different decades, have shared their different perspectives.

I never met the man, so all I "know" about him is what I've read, much of it on this very site.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I don't believe PHC ever claimed military service, let alone being a Green Beret- that was/is a fantasy of Tink Nathan, who as I said earlier is more full of sh*t than a Christmas turkey.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Excellent post!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Regardless of any one else's feeling about Chapstick, I really enjoy his writings. His writings have put a deep desire to go to Africa on a Safari.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

I never had any intention of pissing on a dead man's grave, but I don't think that it is out of line to point out that there have been different perspectives about PHC posted on this site by people who knew him.

In a thread started by The Shootist on 06/26/07, Toltecgriz posted the following on 06/28/07. "I didn't mean to be obtuse and didn't think I was. I didn't want to go into details again beyond what I've said previously. I was just saying there's more to the story than there appears That said, many of the stories he related in Death in the Long Grass did not happen as told by him. At the time I was with him, he was a nice guy and didn't drink that much. He was a decent camp companion, but I'm thankful he wasn't my PH.

Different people who knew him in different places, in different decades, have shared their different perspectives.

I never met the man, so all I "know" about him is what I've read, much of it on this very site.

I have absolutely ZERO issues with what you posted HERE. I just took exception to the post where your tone came across (use of the word "claim" to instill an air of non-credibility) to someone I know who is absolutely credible. It's that simple.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

I have absolutely ZERO issues with what you posted HERE. I just took exception to the post where your tone came across (use of the word "claim" to instill an air of non-credibility) to someone I know who is absolutely credible. It's that simple.

Your posting that I responded to suggested to me that you were defending PHC's honor, not Hatari's, since you wrote that you were attempting to hunt down his military record because you felt that he was being disparaged. I have no reason to doubt Hatari's veracity and using the word "claims" was not intended to cast doubt on him, but to differentiate between what I may believe and what I know to be factual.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It certainly sounds like you and your friend who is good at the stuff are having an easy time of it.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Hey, let me take a stab at parsing your post down to what it actually says:

Somebody A guy [who I did not and do not know, but I'm pretty sure I remember this absolutely correctly and he was super honest even though he was using a fake name and I have no idea who he really was ] posted on this site [or maybe somewhere else] some years ago [I'm really not sure when] that he knew the PH that PHC cited in a story [and I don't know who the PH was or even the PH's name, nor the actual story in question] about culling cape buffalo and when asked about it [by who knows who], the PH [who I don't know and don't know his name] who was with PHC said that PHC took some liberties with it to make it a better story. IIRC [I admit that my recall is somewhat suspect, but please take my word for it that this stuff is Fecking Gospel] that PH also claimed that PHC borrowed adventures that other PHs had and claimed them as his own.

Yeah. "I know a guy who talked to a guy who said something about a different guy. Well, actually I don't know the guy, but I'm totally sure he's 100% honest, even though he wouldn't tell me his real name or any specifics about the story."

So. You repeated a bunch of unsubstantiated rumor and gossip, and in doing so you have slandered a dead man's reputation. A man who was known to people who come here for mutual edification. A man who has brought joy to millions of readers over the years. Without a shred of actual evidence. Just a fecking rumor.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself. But what the hell, this is the fecking innanet. Who cares, right?

I care. You are as despicable for posting that as a man who claims military service without having actually served (something you allege you care about). You owe everyone here an apology.

Last edited by DocRocket; 04/29/21.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DocRocket
Hey, let me take a stab at parsing your post down to what it actually says:

Somebody A guy [who I did not and do not know, but I'm pretty sure I remember this absolutely correctly and he was super honest even though he was using a fake name and I have no idea who he really was ] posted on this site [or maybe somewhere else] some years ago [I'm really not sure when] that he knew the PH that PHC cited in a story [and I don't know who the PH was or even the PH's name, nor the actual story in question] about culling cape buffalo and when asked about it [by who knows who], the PH [who I don't know and don't know his name] who was with PHC said that PHC took some liberties with it to make it a better story. IIRC [I admit that my recall is somewhat suspect, but please take my word for it that this stuff is Fecking Gospel] that PH also claimed that PHC borrowed adventures that other PHs had and claimed them as his own.

Yeah. "I know a guy who talked to a guy who said something about a different guy. Well, actually I don't know the guy, but I'm totally sure he's 100% honest, even though he wouldn't tell me his real name or any specifics about the story."

So. You repeated a bunch of unsubstantiated rumor and gossip, and in doing so you have slandered a dead man's reputation. A man who was known to people who come here for mutual edification. A man who has brought joy to millions of readers over the years. Without a shred of actual evidence. Just a fecking rumor.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself. But what the hell, this is the fecking innanet. Who cares, right?

I care. You are as despicable for posting that as a man who claims military service without having actually served (something you allege you care about). You owe everyone here an apology.

smile

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
smile

That's about right.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I chose to believe what Toltecgriz posted on 06/28/07. "I didn't mean to be obtuse and didn't think I was. I didn't want to go into details again beyond what I've said previously. I was just saying there's more to the story than there appears That said, many of the stories he related in Death in the Long Grass did not happen as told by him. At the time I was with him, he was a nice guy and didn't drink that much. He was a decent camp companion, but I'm thankful he wasn't my PH.

He wrote a good deal more about his experience with PHC, so if you're interested, you can find it and read it for yourself,.

We're all free to form our own opinions.

Many writers have borrowed and embellished stories to make them "better". I agree with Toltecgriz's comment, that he was a good story teller.

As far as his military service, the only place that I've ever seen that was in the Tink Nathan obituary. Nathan claims to have been a close personal friend of PHC, so if anyone would know the facts, wouldn't it be more likely to be a close personal friend? Having served in the U.S. Army for awhile, the time-line for someone to join, be trained, and serve seems too tight to be true. However, that is based on what I know about the U.S. Army in general, not about PHC's service.

If I believed that I was in error, I would correct that error. However, I don't believe that I've posted anything that warrants an apology of any sort.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I found no post on 6-08--2007 by Toltecgriz. None

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475

I found no post on 6-08--2007 by Toltecgriz. None

I got the date wrong, it on 07/01/07.

The following posts from Toltecgriz were in the same thread:

Posted by Toltecgriz on 07/01/07

Were you there when we had to go find him in the middle of the night because he got lost.?
Were you there when we found his high-centered Land Rover that the elephants never touched?
Were you there when we loaned him our best tracker and the first thing he did was load the little guy down with a bandolier of 75 .375 cartridges that he had to carry every day?
Were you there when they moved him out of his area because his clients had wounded thirteen lions and he wouldn't follow any of them up?
Don't get me started.

He was a good storyteller, however.

Posted by Toltecgriz on 07/03/07

I am out of town and have very slow dial-up. I will address this matter when I get back unless I have a lot of time on my hands.

Ray
It's clear you could be hit in the face with the truth and still believe what you want. It's not frivolous if what he presented as fact was in fact substantially fiction, insofar as Death in the Long Grass was concerned. Paul Harvey might call it the rest of the story, rather than just calling it gossip because you don't care. Since you weren't there, you should consider keeping your uninformed opinions to yourself.

Hatari
I hunted with Luangwa Safaris which was Capstick's first job in Africa. Other PHs around were Tony Sanchez, Joe Joubert and Paul Nielsen.

I have no interest in recounting the whole thing, but may eventually. I'm going to have to look at the book again to refresh my memory of what Capstick said. What got my dander up is someone implying I don't know what I'm talking about when in fact I was in the middle of the events which occurred. Someone else can decide about Capstick's later reputation. I'm just talking about what I know and if someone is interested in the basis for his first book, well, that's what is called background.

It seems to me that Toltecgriz may have had more direct interaction with PHC than anybody else who has posted about him on this site, We all pick an expert whose views are in sync with our own, so I choose Toltecgriz as my expert on the subject of PHC, just like I picked JOC over Warren Page and JB over all of the other current gun writers.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 04/30/21. Reason: Added comment
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I'm neither a huge fan of Capstick, nor a detractor of him. But I am pretty amazed at how wound up people can get about someone long dead who probably did more to ignite interest in African hunting (and thereby provide a line of income for all the other PH's, whether they praised, bashed, or said nothing about him) than anyone else in history.

He was a great storyteller, he brought Africa to hundreds of thousands of readers in the USA and around the globe. Thousands of those readers ended up going there on safari, and the millions of dollars generated by the hunting revenues have done immeasurable good for African wildlife.

Sometimes it's best to just let dead people rest.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Words have meaning and the English language is very rich in that regard and I believe that is the issue. For example if one says so and so "claims" something, that connotes a lack of credibility, whereas if one says so and so "said" affords the writer just to "pass the info" vice implying a lack of veracity.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Words have meaning and the English language is very rich in that regard and I believe that is the issue. For example if one says so and so "claims" something, that connotes a lack of credibility, whereas if one says so and so "said" affords the writer just to "pass the info" vice implying a lack of veracity.....

I don't doubt that everyone who has posted that they knew PCH, actually knew him, but it seems that they knew him at different times and under different circumstances.

I believe that both Hatari and Toltecgriz knew him, but they knew him at different time and under different circumstances. Tink Nathan claimed to have been a close personal friend of PHC and Hatari posted earlier in this thread that he agreed with everything that Nathan wrote, except for the portion dealing with PHC's military service. You posted that finding PHC's military service record shouldn't be too hard for your friend, but nothing has yet to be posted on this site that would confirm that PHC was a U.S. Army Special Forces officer who saw combat in Vietnam. I have never read anything, anywhere, that PHC had served in the U.S. Army except in the obituary written by Tink Nathan. Why would Nathan make that up if the rest of the obituary is as accurate as Hatari has posted? What would Nathan gain by that embellishment?

From my perspective, Toltecgriz seems to be the person posting on this site who was closest to PHC as it pertains to the accuracy of at least some of PHC's published works.

Let me be perfectly clear, I think that PHC wrote entertaining stories about Africa and I probably believed them before I read contrary posts on this site.

As I have read in multiple posts, Toltecgriz has clearly said that he was present when/where several of PHC's stories took place and that there was little in common between what actually happened and how PHC presented it, for example the high centered vehicle that wasn't actually wrecked by an angry elephant. On 03/31/21 Hatari posted the following earlier in this thread; "He (PHC) made no secret that he embellished stories to jazz them up..". When does an embellishment cross the line and become nothing but an outright lie?.

I don't know any of the people who have posted on this tread, but Pugs vouches for you and Hatari, so that's good enough for me.

EDIT; Someone posting under the name Ward Simonton posted on Africahunting.com that PHC was his father. I don't recall the mention of any children in the Tink Nathan obituary.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 04/30/21. Reason: Added comment
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nothings good enough for you that's why this has gone on for 5 pages. Let it Die.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can't imagine why one PH would want to run down a more successful PH.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by sidepass
Nothings good enough for you that's why this has gone on for 5 pages. Let it Die.

I'm demanding, that's why I've had a lot of success in life.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Congratulations.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

a lot of people would just say you're an [bleep].......having said that ...phc is the reason I am going to zambia august 2022....

....so in my eyes he did something right...he put the spark in alot of people...your going on and on makes you look envious

bob

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Humble, too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Envious of a dead person?

I'm neither a writer nor a professional hunter, so I have nothing to be envious of when it comes to PHC.

PHC was a good writer, but according to Toltecgriz, a guy who shared a camp with him, the stories are more fiction than a reflection of what actually happened.

Why would I care what anonymous people think of me, either positive or negative? More than once I've told detractors that I've been called worse things by better people.

I hope that you have a safe and successful hunt in 2022.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Just watch the videos with PHC hunting

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Envious of a dead person?

I'm neither a writer nor a professional hunter, so I have nothing to be envious of when it comes to PHC.

PHC was a good writer, but according to Toltecgriz, a guy who shared a camp with him, the stories are more fiction than a reflection of what actually happened.

Why would I care what anonymous people think of me, either positive or negative? More than once I've told detractors that I've been called worse things by better people.

I hope that you have a safe and successful hunt in 2022.

thank you 260....bob

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Who gives a bleep about whether or not PHC was in the US military?

I remember in 2011 when we took a shortcut through some tall tan-coliored grass in an attempt to intercept a herd of buff. I heard the low sounds of lions grunting in the grass, and immediately thought, "Death in the Long Grass." Later we encountered some baboons and I brought up the scope. I thought about "a strange feeling of ancestral murder at the back of my neck." I shot and missed.

PHC was a giant. I wish I had met him.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Thanks for posting that....

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
it doesn't matter what anybody says he was a great author and i loved every book he wrote that i read, and it made me buy his books. it has made me want to go to Africa but i never will. it's just like Clark Gable in the movie Magombo, super cool! who really care's if it was made up, movies and books are done to entertain and he did just that!

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I bought a nice second hand 375 H&H Sako V (which I still have) after reading his books because even though I'll never go - I have a rifle that could be used there.

Sounds crazy but it's the closest I'll ever get.

I enjoyed his books immensely and still reread them and it takes me right back there.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
PSE, that doesn't sound crazy at all. I don't know if PHC's stories of using a 375 H&H were a big factor for me, but I'm sure it helped! For what it's worth, my Kimber Caprivi .375 may have been bought primarily to kill a Zimbabwe buffalo, but it has done yeoman service since then on everything from hogs to nilgai and even a puny Texas whitetail doe! This is a caliber and rifle that will do it all. So enjoy yours, and who knows? You may be surprised at what happens. My first safari happened when I was 61, and I never thought I'd be able to go. Now I've been twice.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm sorry I ever asked about Capsticks MILITARY SERVICE. Jeez !!!!!

"not too grumpy"
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 50 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.