-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe 35 years ago, shot a one inch five shot group @ 100, with a Win. M320. Rested, front and rear bags, no wind. IIRC, shooting Mini Mag HPs, because that's about all I ever shot in it back then?

My buddy looked through his spotter, shook his head and told me they were all in a one inch FO target dot on freezer paper, We'd been shooting 22-250s and 6mm Rem. varmint rifles that day and had multiple target dots on the paper. Popped five down range with the 22, for the helluvit, before we moved to the 300 yard range with the center fires.

He asked me how the hell I'd managed that? No idea. Rifle had an old Weaver K2.5 on it at the time. I'll go with dumb luck, having no better excuse to offer. Later put a Weaver V12AO on that 22 and never came close to anything better than an inch and a half at 100 with it.

We have monthly 100 yard cast bullet BR matches at our club and they have a 22 rim fire class, no plated bullets. Some of them can do close to an inch with a 22, if the breeze ain't a factor. Guy that usually takes the 22 class, has a Win. low wall he had built years ago. Unertl scope, heavy barrel and pretty damn nice trigger.

Last time I shot a 22 at 100 yards, managed around two inch groups. I'm happy shooting them at 50.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
GB1

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
Originally Posted by JimH
Originally Posted by Vasquez956
I will say, I have a 452 American that can shoot 1/2 MOA at 100 yards on windless days, with at least a 20x target scope, with its favorite lot of SK ammo and me doing my part pulling the trigger. It's been a while since I've taken it out but it did surprise me with its consistency when the stars aligned.
You do realize that the world record for 5-5 shot groups at 100 yards in NBRSA sporter class is slightly under 3/4" don't you?You should sign up and show the big boys how to shoot!

I'm not saying it shoots .5s all day long. I'm saying it can when everything is right. Let's say outta 10 groups, 3 or 4 will look like .5 clusters.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I enjoy some 22 long range, but never really got the bug to chase rainbows with the round.

Yes, it can impress under fair conditions, but most times the wind is gonna own that little bitch.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
On a FB group a guy did some testing, albeit imprecise, comparing the CZ 457 and a Tikka Tx1 for accuracy.
This is a direct copy/paste of one reply:

I don’t own any guns but I have heard that CZs really like SK match ammo. I bet it would shoot less than a 1/4inch group at 100 yards

I didn't want to slap this guys clams too forcefully so I simply said "I'd take that bet...."

The blossoming .22 maven replied "all day long maybe 1/2” with some wind".

Damn kids make me nuts.

What group is that? I have some work to do.

.22 Firearm Owners

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anybody that claims 1/2 MOA at a hundred yards from a .22 long rifle is full of more crap than a portapotty on a Mexican brick crews jobsite.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don’t see a group by that specific name- can you share a link to it?

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by PennDog
gnoahhh where do you shoot Schuetzen matches at? I’m doing a Winchester 1885 with a Birdseye maple stock in Schuetzen style and think that would be lots of fun! Great shooting gnoahhh and there are darn few people that can pull off 1/2” groups with a .22 at 100yds and not many more that can do it consistently at 50 yds - outdoors. Lots of people can type though - including some other types of primates😄

PennDog

Columbia Schuetzenverein, an ASSRA affiliate, we shoot just north of Frederick, MD. Three weekend-long matches per season. First match this year is the weekend of end of April/first of May. Some very stiff competition- I sh*t you not, 3/4" at 100 (which I consider mighty fine shooting, and about the best I've managed) won't buy any better than maybe 3rd or 4th place. You're up against Ballards, BSA Internationals, etc. Mind you also, the matches are re-entry so you can keep submitting targets until you're tired of it.

My competition rifle, a Ballard with what I think is a Pope-Stevens barrel although it's not marked "Pope", just Stevens- it has Pope-style rifling. I figure it was one of the barrels they turned out after Pope left Stevens using his rifling but not giving credit (and for which Pope got in a high dander and threatened them with legal action if they didn't cease and desist), along with a couple 10-shot 50 yard targets I made with it. On a dead calm day it'll turn in 1/2" at 100- if, and only if, conditions are perfect, but if those conditions prevail it'll deliver. Heck, Steve Voorheis from over on the Savage forum knocked out a 1/2" group at 100 with it at the Rendezvous in Noxen last summer with a bunch of witnesses, and he never shot the rifle before. I'll cry when the last of that lot of Eley Tenex is used up.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
"Modern" Anschutzes and the like really don't have nothing over on some of the stuff the old masters turned out. The difference between then and now is the ammunition.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks gnoahhh........I’ll have to look into that when I get that rifle finished up. That rifle you have looks awesome and you are right about those vintage rifles.....some of those men really knew their stuff! I am embarrassed to say I haven’t shot the one I’m working on as I bought it as a barreled action.....but I am keeping my fingers crossed. It has a single set trigger and the bore appears excellent so maybe?!

PennDog

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've piles of 22LR's that'll shoot .5 MOA at 100yds. Martini's and the like,simply cannot begin to hang. Hint.

Anschutzeseses have the lock time,trigger and stocks going for them,as well as being easy to scope,with SOUND optics,if only for starters. Hint.

Mechanics tend to matter.

Hint............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Sometimes it's not about pure accuracy, rather the joy of playing with aesthetically pleasing vintage equipment that also happens to shoot very well. Different strokes, and all that.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Originally Posted by PennDog
gnoahhh where do you shoot Schuetzen matches at? I’m doing a Winchester 1885 with a Birdseye maple stock in Schuetzen style and think that would be lots of fun! Great shooting gnoahhh and there are darn few people that can pull off 1/2” groups with a .22 at 100yds and not many more that can do it consistently at 50 yds - outdoors. Lots of people can type though - including some other types of primates😄

PennDog

Columbia Schuetzenverein, an ASSRA affiliate, we shoot just north of Frederick, MD. Three weekend-long matches per season. First match this year is the weekend of end of April/first of May. Some very stiff competition- I sh*t you not, 3/4" at 100 (which I consider mighty fine shooting, and about the best I've managed) won't buy any better than maybe 3rd or 4th place. You're up against Ballards, BSA Internationals, etc. Mind you also, the matches are re-entry so you can keep submitting targets until you're tired of it.

My competition rifle, a Ballard with what I think is a Pope-Stevens barrel although it's not marked "Pope", just Stevens- it has Pope-style rifling. I figure it was one of the barrels they turned out after Pope left Stevens using his rifling but not giving credit (and for which Pope got in a high dander and threatened them with legal action if they didn't cease and desist), along with a couple 10-shot 50 yard targets I made with it. On a dead calm day it'll turn in 1/2" at 100- if, and only if, conditions are perfect, but if those conditions prevail it'll deliver. Heck, Steve Voorheis from over on the Savage forum knocked out a 1/2" group at 100 with it at the Rendezvous in Noxen last summer with a bunch of witnesses, and he never shot the rifle before. I'll cry when the last of that lot of Eley Tenex is used up.

Looks like a Fecker scope you have there gnoahhh. How do you like it compared to the Unertl and STS?

Have a few of the latter mounted up on 52s and older Annie's....but no Feckers

Some day

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
1/2" groups at 100 yards is easier to do than you think. A good rifle with a batch of rounds it prefers. Hand select the rounds for consistency. Find a warehouse or building with a long hallway. Pull the trigger meticulously three times.

On an average range, grabbing random rounds from a box, with a keyboard commando on the trigger? Don't bother measuring.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

With a little Vudoo and the right conditions, one can put together some decent groups.

60 yards. Ten shots each. Sporter configuration, 3-12 LRTSi scope

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]uncommon cute boy names

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice shooting there. What ammo? Shots 9 and 10 start stressing me when I see that type group in scope lol.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by m1919

Looks like a Fecker scope you have there gnoahhh. How do you like it compared to the Unertl and STS?

Have a few of the latter mounted up on 52s and older Annie's....but no Feckers

Some day

I like it as much as much as the others, based on my small collection of 2 Feckers, 2 Targetspots, and 3 Unertls. The Fecker is a bit easier to fine tune for parallax with said adjuster in the middle of the scope barrel, when sitting in position at the bench, instead of having to reach the whole way out to turn the objective bell. Very small convenience, admittedly.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
1/2" groups at 100 yards is easier to do than you think. A good rifle with a batch of rounds it prefers. Hand select the rounds for consistency. Find a warehouse or building with a long hallway. Pull the trigger meticulously three times.

On an average range, grabbing random rounds from a box, with a keyboard commando on the trigger? Don't bother measuring.

Those groups I pictured were shot from a freshly opened box of Tenex. That lot of Tenex has proven eerily consistent weight-wise and rim thickness-wise so I won't bother sorting rounds of it. I will sort stuff when headed to a match, but I honestly don't feel it does a whole lot of good- but anything for a teeny edge. I think the whole sorting thing works best for mid-grade ammo.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
1/2" groups are possible at a 100 yards with a 22 LR even by me. I shot about 30 groups that day & this was the best, but several more hovered closely.

Folks that say it can't be done, may not have the necessary equipment. Or.......

Anschutz with a 36 Weaver, benched & bagged. Federal Gold Medal 900B ammo.

My best 50+ yard group, Wolf Match Target.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I do what I can, when I can........

5 Shots

5 more with my silly 10/22

Only 3 this time, running short of ammo I was. 10/22 again

Up close and personal...one shot, one hole. Still the little porker is holier now that when we met.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by gunzo
1/2" groups are possible at a 100 yards with a 22 LR even by me. I shot about 30 groups that day & this was the best, but several more hovered closely.

Folks that say it can't be done, may not have the necessary equipment. Or.......

Anschutz with a 36 Weaver, benched & bagged. Federal Gold Medal 900B ammo.

My best 50+ yard group, Wolf Match Target.

I don't think anyone said it couldn't be done-just that it isn't going to be done consistently. Occasional group-absolutely! 5- 5 shot groups that agg. under 1/2" at 100 yards with a .22 rf?-Hasn't been done yet,at least where targets were officially measured. I have shot a lot of BR-50,ARA and NBRSA group shoots,have sorted ammo every way imaginable,owned and shot Anschutz 54's and 2013's,Rem. 40x's,Win.52's and Calfee XP100's with factory and aftermarket barrels and don't recall seeing back to back 1/2" groups shot in competition,and I shot with some of the best rf shooter out there, albeit 20 years ago.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

169 members (2ndwind, aaronward9, 17CalFan, 907brass, 257_X_50, 31 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 1,021 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,493
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.