Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Thegman
The CBK is a great design for field dressing, IME, but also in IME the Grohmann #1 handle is too small to be comfortable for a lot of work. Folks need to remember that the handles come in one size, but our hands don't. If someone says it works great for them, I don't doubt them a bit. If someone says it doesn't, I don't doubt them either.

Well said. As the old preacher said, "it's better felt than telt."

You just have to try for yourself...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I I recently bought a #3 and can't wait to try it out next fall.
Its a compromise for liking the blade shape, but not sure on the #1 handle.
Take a look at it.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I wouldn't mind having a #1 blade on a #3 handle. The #3 handle looks a little bigger than the number #1.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I wouldn't mind having a #1 blade on a #3 handle. The #3 handle looks a little bigger than the number #1.

I think bark river is making something similar called a gunny hunter UP.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have had a #3 for 22 years and field dressed a bunch of deer with it. I like it so much that I just ordered a new one to remove the wood scales and replace them with Rams horn to match my Bowen custom revolver.

just for Fun
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I ordered me and my buddy a no 2 Second and me a no 3 Army last week. Ive been eyeing them for a long time and finally pulled the trigger. I normally like carbon steel but i opted for stainless for the bird and trout for processing fish and small game. Cant wait to try them out when they get here

R
rdd Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I did order a #1 stainless with a flat grind. I think I will use it a lot.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by humdinger

Thanks for pointing that one out. Doesn't seem to have much offset in the handle, but still looks like it would work well.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by humdinger

Thanks for pointing that one out. Doesn't seem to have much offset in the handle, but still looks like it would work well.

I had a Barky Canadian and it didnt have offset and it had a very thick blade. I sold it to a ravid barky collector because it seemed like another drop point knife to me.

I'll try a #1 Grohmann someday just because I'm intrigued. See how my #3 performs and if it worth buying a second one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you wanna get a feel for that style knife,

Cold steel Canadian belt knife can be had for $15.

I’ve got of couple of the Pendleton lite hunters. Not a bad knife for the price.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
How long does it normally take to get a Grohmann here in the states? I ordered one mid january and it still hasnt shipped yet?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Herters had a copy back in the 60s and 70s......I had two of em and I liked em.......very hard carbon steel.
Knife, sheath and book for $3.97

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
R Murphy made that knife, and still does, though they don't seem to be around much lately. I have one and like it more than the Grohmann. Handle is a little bigger and takes a good edge. 1095 and seems to have a good temper. Sheath is terrible though, so there's that...

https://rmurphyknives.com/store/the-skinner-details.html

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
R Murphy made that knife, and still does, though they don't seem to be around much lately. I have one and like it more than the Grohmann. Handle is a little bigger and takes a good edge. 1095 and seems to have a good temper. Sheath is terrible though, so there's that...

https://rmurphyknives.com/store/the-skinner-details.html
his knife is priced very well

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I just don't like the tiny, thin, poorly shaped handles.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

The handles actually works much better than it looks.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just to add to this thread. I used a #1 this month for the first time to get a mule deer buck ready for packing. I found it extremely comfortable, nimble and versatile for skinning, deboning, separating joints, etc. I felt like I had been using it for years. I also have a LT Wright Small Northern Hunter and I like the ergonomics of the Grohmann #1 better. I have small hands.
I also have a Benchmade Altitude that I used to fully skin and debone a Caribou bull in September. I also was very surprised at how good that knife felt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VernAK
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

The handles actually works much better than it looks.

I have fairly large hands, XL glove size, and find that the Cold Steel and Grohman #1 or #2 CBKs feel too small in my hand, just as the Buck #102 Woodsman does.

Knife handles, like handgun grips and long gun stocks, need to fit the individual for them to work well. What works great for one person many not work well at all for another person. The suggestion of try the $15 Cold Steel version before spending over $100 for a Grohman product seems like sound advice to me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have medium sized hands and the No. 1 Grohmann is too thin in the front of the handle for me. I have owned one of them for over 25 years and it seldom gets used except when I just want a change from my favorites. I am told that the No. 3 is a bit larger handle and if I ever see one I might try it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have fairly large hands, the no.1 works perfectly for me... which only goes to show we're all individuals.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 007FJ, 257_X_50, 63 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,650
Posts18,455,461
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.