GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Never liked any Remington pump, but would have bought that one

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
OEM Factory rolled "engraving" and HARDLY anything from the "Orient". You CLUELESS Fhuqktards are a hoot though! Hint.

The Reupold Ruse is HILARIOUS too.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice find, Jason! I hope you enjoy it for many years.

ttpoz

in silvam ne ligna feras
(don't carry logs into the forest)
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by greydog
The rear sight looks like those found on Browning rifles

The rear sight was definitely changed at some point, I can still see a faint line where the elevation piece would have been in the sight assembly.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You scored a unique 760. Congrats !

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I like that. I’ve never owned a pump rifle.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I will agree it looks like a PX rifle engraved after the fact in Japan. Both front and rear sights are non-original. It is a nice gun. I used to run into guys carrying those in the woods hunting deer in PA; some were even more elaborate with a lot of inlays of different materials, and all were veterans and had the work done in Japan in the 1950's. Again, nice gun!

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That is nice. I believe that hole in the magazine was only used the first 2 years of production.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
That is nice. I believe that hole in the magazine was only used the first 2 years of production.

I'd buy another "user" mag and put that one away.

Nice find.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Very interesting and cool gun Jason, never seen one like that.

Date code of RYY puts the manufacture date at November 1952, a first year production gun. I have a March 1952 first year production gun, in 30-06.

The front site is definitely original, rear site looks like a Williams replacement. The original rear buckhorn sight on those guns were either replaced with a flip down model like that or just removed because it interfered with the scope mounting. I'm not sure, but I think that Remington did start drilling and tapping 760s in late 1952. Mine I know was drilled & tapped by a gunsmith.

The scope bases are what bothers me, the front base appears to be a #35 which is a front base for a Remington 700 and the rear base you have there is probably a #36, rear base which is higher for a 700 also. I don't believe Weaver ever made a 2 piece scope base for a 760. The correct one piece base number is #62 and if you are fortunate enough to have a Pivot Ring setup the scope base (again, 1 piece) is a #162.

Either way 760's are great guns and that one is way cool in a way cool caliber, best of luck with it.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My first rifle was a Remington 760 6mm Remington bought for me by my parents in 1973 with the condition that I had to share it with my other 4 brothers. Of all the rifles I bought and sold I wish I still had that one....
I have owned many Remingtons in my 63 years. Now they have gone away as we know it. I am saddened. Remington was a great Institution. Americana. The oldest Firearms manufacturing company in the USA. Think about that.
You found an American Treasure! If you don’t take it hunting, get up with, I will.

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
The scope bases are what bothers me, the front base appears to be a #35 which is a front base for a Remington 700 and the rear base you have there is probably a #36, rear base which is higher for a 700 also.

I noticed that. I've already pulled both bases, not sure why they were using two different heights. The base in front fits correctly, so two #35's would be fine...I likely have another one in the drawer, I'll check once I get back home. I have an extra Leupold Vari X III 1.75-6x, but really want a simple fixed Leupold or newer Weaver K series 4x.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
There is a pretty good thread in "Deer Hunting" started by MagMarc called "Pump Rifles and deer".

You should post a few pics in that thread, I'm sure the guys would fine your gun unique and interesting.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick
OEM Factory rolled "engraving" and HARDLY anything from the "Orient". You CLUELESS Fhuqktards are a hoot though! Hint.

The Reupold Ruse is HILARIOUS too.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!.............

No, it's not factory rolled engraving, you goofy twit, but I can't comment as to the background of the engraver.

The engraving appears to have been done with an electric engraver. While it's not real high class engraving, it's better than I could do! Some of the markings are, of course. OEM rolled markings and this is probably what confused our little Alaskan. The scope bases are incorrect and need to be replaced with a #62. GD

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very nice find... If I still did any hunting in Pa. or W. Va. I had decided to have some of those.. But those days are over.. Enjoy!!

Molon Labe
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If the assembly date code is K YY, K would indicate May and YY would indicate 1952.

B-L-A-C-K-P-O-W-D-E-R-X are the only month assembly date codes used.

Cool old rifle. During the 1950's and 1960's a lot of American military personnel posted in Europe had custom gun work done for pennies on the dollar. My Father had several Winchester 12s, 70s, and 3 88s highly engraved for next to nothing in Austria and West Germany between 1950 and 1965.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is a cool old gun and this is a strange coincidence. I just took one of these to my LGS and put it on consignment for sale. This afternoon. It too is a .300 Savage. Mule Deer forced me to buy this a few years back with and article he wrote about these pump rifles. I never shot it myself but my BIL mounted the scope and sighted it in right in my front yard. I watched and it was very accurate. It is in good condition but, of course, does not have any engraving. I believe the sights are original and it has a cheap scope mounted on it. The serial number is in 190K range but it does no have a letter prefix or suffix. I wish I had a pic. I know these are valuable because the feds have now outlawed Amish machine guns.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blowtorch53
That is a cool old gun and this is a strange coincidence. I just took one of these to my LGS and put it on consignment for sale. This afternoon. It too is a .300 Savage. Mule Deer forced me to buy this a few years back with and article he wrote about these pump rifles. I never shot it myself but my BIL mounted the scope and sighted it in right in my front yard. I watched and it was very accurate. It is in good condition but, of course, does not have any engraving. I believe the sights are original and it has a cheap scope mounted on it. The serial number is in 190K range but it does no have a letter prefix or suffix. I wish I had a pic. I know these are valuable because the feds have now outlawed Amish machine guns.

When were the Remington pump guns outlawed?

J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm not sure he's serious...or maybe just misinformed?

No, it's not factory rolled engraving, you goofy twit, but I can't comment as to the background of the engraver.

Please don't encourage that guy to respond...I've yet to see any thread that wasn't ruined once he became involved.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 12 invisible), 2,195 guests, and 686 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,668
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.