-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My right ear is so bad that I can’t talk on a cell phone at all , Bluetooth fixed all of that for me. Music is way better with Bluetooth. I can turn my phone to music and lay it down in my shop and go outside in my yard and it’s perfectly clear in my hearing aids anywhere on my 3 acres. With Bluetooth you can do custom settings for watching tv or real noisy places with the app.

GB1

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V

Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Originally Posted by victoro
"they damn sure can't help you tell the difference betwixt Z C T D...etc"

Either you need better hearing aids or your hearing loss is too great to be fixed by hearing aids. Mine have worked great since the day I got them. The only I don't like about mine is that music doesn't sound the same.

I didn't by the $250.00 kind dude!!

I didn't mean it as an insult when I said you when I said you need better hearing aids. My best friends hearing aids cost over $6000 but my $2500 Costo hearing aids work much better than his. They're call hearing "aids" for a reason. My hearing isn't perfect either since I got hearing aids but it's much better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I paid $6k a year ago.
I only wore it a couple of days.

Still can't hear the wife. She is a low talker.

Did you pay extra for that feature ?

- You knew someone HAD to go there!

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by vapodog
I just came from a olace that sells hearing aids.....they range from $3,000 to $7500

The seller installed a middle of the range set of ear pieces and they were wonderful.....extremely high teck and worked like a charm.......but is it worth $5,500?

I know many folks posting here are older folks like me.....(75 years) and I suspect have a lot of info to add to this issue. I also know there's a lot to be learned.....but is the education worth the asking price?

Lets hear it.....what are the issues and reasonable costs?

First time around I went to the Big name company for hearing aids paid $5500 for the set, 4 years later they wanted $6000 to replace them.

Went to Costco got their best set for $1500, for another $99 got an attachment that streams the TV directly to my hearing aids I can listen without wife telling me it's too loud.

Funny thing when I was tested at Costco I mentioned I had been just tested at the "other" place, he smile and asked how was the tech? turns out he had trained that company's last two techs at Costco..

Last edited by old_willys; 03/15/21.

Ted
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Glad you were able to get fitted at a good price, OntarioJim.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

Originally Posted by Sharpsman
"they damn sure can't help you tell the difference betwixt Z C T D...etc"

Either you need better hearing aids or your hearing loss is too great to be fixed by hearing aids. Mine have worked great since the day I got them. The only I don't like about mine is that music doesn't sound the same.

I didn't by the $250.00 kind dude!!

I didn't mean it as an insult when I said you when I said you need better hearing aids. My best friends hearing aids cost over $6000 but my $2500 Costo hearing aids work much better than his. They're call hearing "aids" for a reason. My hearing isn't perfect either since I got hearing aids but it's much better.
Most places ask the manufacturers for a wholesale price and then price them retail accordingly. Costco sets a retail price then asks the manufacturers what they can offer that they can sell at that price. The manufacturers know that if they can get the contract, they'll make huge profits because of the volume so they bring their best stuff, much better than what a small seller can get for the same money.

The problem with Costco is that they don't take medicare. I have an appointment for new ones this week but it won't be at Costco. Through medicare, I can get 40% off elsewhere.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
RC, after your 40% off with Moldycare, you'll end up having just about exactly the same out-of-pocket as you would at Costco.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"The problem with Costco is that they don't take medicare."

My Medicare advantage plan paid $2000 of the $2500 cost at Costco. I had to pay for the battery charger ($500).

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by old_willys
Originally Posted by vapodog
I just came from a olace that sells hearing aids.....they range from $3,000 to $7500

The seller installed a middle of the range set of ear pieces and they were wonderful.....extremely high teck and worked like a charm.......but is it worth $5,500?

I know many folks posting here are older folks like me.....(75 years) and I suspect have a lot of info to add to this issue. I also know there's a lot to be learned.....but is the education worth the asking price?

Lets hear it.....what are the issues and reasonable costs?

First time around I went to the Big name company for hearing aids paid $5500 for the set, 4 years later they wanted $6000 to replace them.

Went to Costco got their best set for $1500, for another $99 got an attachment that streams the TV directly to my hearing aids I can listen without wife telling me it's too loud.

Funny thing when I was tested at Costco I mentioned I had been just tested at the "other" place, he smile and asked how was the tech? turns out he had trained that company's last two techs at Costco..

I just remembered another great reason to use Costco, once you are fitted and ready to walk out the door they hand you a card dated 6 months from that day, anytime up to the 6 months you can return your hearing aids with a full refund no questions asked.

Ted
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
V-dog , have worn hearing aids for the last 10 years , lifetime in machine and fabrication takes its toll. My present set is Wydex and is multi channel so they provide more frequencies and sound more natural . I found the behind you ear with the tube and little cup in your ear more comfortable but everybody is different. We don’t have a Costco in Maine and I am not a vet so a good audiologist was key for me , local one man shop has done me a great job and he keeps the prices down . There is a good markup in these. My first two sets were starkey both the inner ear type ( great for six months then itched in my ear to point of insanity) and next set behind the ear but only single channel were ok but the difference in multi channel is impressive. Also insure them, after you loose one or you lab eats one the insurance is worth it . Have had this last set 4 years . One last thing mine has the blue tooth and thought that was great until I realized there is all kinds of Bluetooth signals in today’s life , phone , truck etc and the is no way to prioritize a Bluetooth signal I have found it was irritating and I turned the Bluetooth off . Good luck

IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I've had "AIDS" for ~ 12 years, now.
Got a set at COSTCO a few years back. Price and initial fitting were very good.
After sales service SUCKED for lack of a better term.
I know others have had very good results at COSTCO, but I did not.
Now, I drive 300+ miles each way to visit my audiologist (who happens to be my niece) - rather than drive 125 miles each way for a good product with p!$$ poor support.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have been using VA furnished hearing aids for 10 years, and I am on my third set. They replace them on a regular basis with newer and better ones. All three sets so far have been the same brand and quality that the retailers sell. My brothers and several friends (not veterans), get their hearing aids from Costco and are happy with their quality and price. I am glad I don't have to pay for mine, and the VA makes sure I have up to date quality aids.
Mine didn't come with the "wife" setting. ----Maybe the next set will.

Ken

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I found the service and technology at Costco to be excellent. One of mine went dead after nearly 2 years. Took it to the Costco in Puerto Vallarta and they fixed it free, without a word of English being spoken. I was impressed. So I got a new set from Costco for $1600 that has bluetooth and a phone answering button and an app for fine adjustments. Audiologists were quoting 4 to 6 thou and the testing and equipment was sub par. Now if I could find a place that will make prescription polarized sunglasses without all the markup....

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Va if you are a veteran. Costco if you are not.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mark shubert
I've had "AIDS" for ~ 12 years, now.
Got a set at COSTCO a few years back. Price and initial fitting were very good.
After sales service SUCKED for lack of a better term.
I know others have had very good results at COSTCO, but I did not.
Now, I drive 300+ miles each way to visit my audiologist (who happens to be my niece) - rather than drive 125 miles each way for a good product with p!$$ poor support.
The Costco here has excellent service. However, they're very busy. I have an appointment but they're 3 months out.

― George Orwell

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
One of the questions the Costco Audiologist asked me after the exam..."are you prepared to wear these all the time?". No, I just wanted to wear them in public, my piece of schidt cell phone, or social situations (rarely). He flat out stated, "You probably won't be happy with your 1500 dollar investment then. You need to wear them all the waking hours." I thought that was very honest of him (they don't work on commission anyway) so I thanked him and walked. Wife is still pissed. Even before covid, it's usually 2 weeks between visits by friends who are deaf as me, people I want to talk to call my landline which I can hear, and I only go to town once a month for fuel and parts and a burger. Who needs it?

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Go back, get them, and wear them. I wear mine most of the time, except when I'm on the water (for obvious reasons) and I take an occasional day off. But most days, I do. It's nice to have those high-frequency sounds back.

They are a royal PITA when I have to wear them, my glasses, AND a Covidiocy mask. So I often take them out while the mask is on.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Every time I take a mask off, they come off with it. Luckily, the only place here where I have to wear a mask is Costco and dr. offices.

― George Orwell

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Well Rocky, I'll reconsider maybe. Probably should mend my fences with the VA, that would save a few bucks.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'd sure like to hear in church! I often have to ask my wife what was funny.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 222ND, 2003and2013, 65 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,224
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.