Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
A cousin has a Winchester 94 with a broken/chipped stock. The bottom screw area split off from the rest of the stock. His dad years ago tried to fix it but did a poor job. So I thought I would help him out and try to find a replacement stock. Knowing serial numbers may make a difference, I looked it up. It falls in the 1943 to 1947 "no record" years. I thought that was interesting, and never even thought civilian rifles would have been made during that time. Serial #1,221,2xx.

Probably nothing special but I thought it was interesting. 94 is being passed down to a grandson, so hopefully it will be back in the woods chasing deer!!

USE ENOUGH GUN (Ruark) and YOU CAN'T EVER HAVE TOO MANY (me)
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Those Winchester 94's built during the war years had a front barrel/magazine band that was flat on the sides. They are called by some collectors "flat bands". Ive heard that the intent was to save on the machining process due to limited resources allocated for the civilian market. About that time they started eliminating the Winchester trade mark stamp on the upper tang as well as the extra tang sight screw hole. Best of luck with getting it back into the woods..

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
My assumption you're speaking about a damaged butt stock and my response below in that reference. You need to clarify!

My Model 94 in 25-35 Win, Sn 1,3445xxx was made in early October 1945 according to Polishing Room records. It’s cross-hatch butt plate is reflected in the pix below. The only other such and earlier “war years era” butt plate was the serrated style termed “Model 55” and occurring on the Model 94. Pix of mine from a Model 55, reflected below.

Concerning serialization, the following Threads also having reference to butt plates.

Possibly you’ll find the below Winchester Collector Association Forum Threads of interest.
https://winchestercollector.org/for...-94-post-war-change-serial-number-range/
https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-rifles/model-94-war-years/
https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-rifles/model-94-war-years/page-2/

I don’t refer Posts here to other Web Forums lightly, but I believe the ‘on point status, comprehensive research and expertise, urges sharing!

Request ‘if’ you do use the WCA resource in whatever context, you return to share results here!
Thanks!

Best & Stay Safe!
John

Attached Images
R255-19.jpg (25.53 KB, 79 downloads)
R205-18U.jpg (19.36 KB, 77 downloads)
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

He went over yonder way
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by iskra
My assumption you're speaking about a damaged butt stock and my response below in that reference. You need to clarify!

My Model 94 in 25-35 Win, Sn 1,3445xxx was made in early October 1945 according to Polishing Room records. It’s cross-hatch butt plate is reflected in the pix below. The only other such and earlier “war years era” butt plate was the serrated style termed “Model 55” and occurring on the Model 94. Pix of mine from a Model 55, reflected below.

Concerning serialization, the following Threads also having reference to butt plates.

Possibly you’ll find the below Winchester Collector Association Forum Threads of interest.
https://winchestercollector.org/for...-94-post-war-change-serial-number-range/
https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-rifles/model-94-war-years/
https://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-rifles/model-94-war-years/page-2/

I don’t refer Posts here to other Web Forums lightly, but I believe the ‘on point status, comprehensive research and expertise, urges sharing!

Request ‘if’ you do use the WCA resource in whatever context, you return to share results here!
Thanks!

Best & Stay Safe!
John

iskra, yes I am referring to a chipped/broken butt stock.
thanks for the very informative forum posts from the Winchester Collector Association Forum. Bert from Washington state looks like the go-to guy.. Reading the other requests for his knowledge on serial numbers of the Winchesters, I am sure cousin Fred's gun was made in 1941. It has the serrated steel butt plate and from Bert's pictures, the #7 tang markings/lettering.

Thanks again
Mark

Last edited by markopolo50; 03/18/21.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by 30WCF
Those Winchester 94's built during the war years had a front barrel/magazine band that was flat on the sides. They are called by some collectors "flat bands". Ive heard that the intent was to save on the machining process due to limited resources allocated for the civilian market. About that time they started eliminating the Winchester trade mark stamp on the upper tang as well as the extra tang sight screw hole. Best of luck with getting it back into the woods..

30WCF, thanks for the info. This one has the trade mark stamp and does not have a flat band. I figured it is a 41 model. Really good shape for being that old.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

593 members (22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 59 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,282
Posts18,448,597
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.