24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
The Mrs. and I are looking at doing some chain link fence around the house. before we just wing it I figured I'd do some research, turns out there is a lot online when it comes to chain link fencing and how to go about it. I've come across some that say screw the big box lumber yard types like menards and lowes and direct supply it if possible. and others that say that's the best because you can get it "local" so if you need this or that it's easy and yada yada. our yard is about 1/2 acre so it's not a tiny job but it'll add up quick so I don't want to waste any time or money. we've got 2 kids 12 and 8 that'll help and a couple friends so we'll be doing it ourselves, just wondering where the best place is to get supplies for it and any tips when it comes to saving time or money on it.

Thanks

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Best advice I can give.....make sure to give yourself about 3-4 inches at the bottom or else you’ll eat up weedeater string. I didn’t have the fence guys do this. I spray my fence line with Round-Up so I can keep the mower deck out of it.

Also one other thing I did was remove the wire tie at each fence post on the bottom. I seen a dog that had choked itself to death trying to get under the fence to go with it’s owner. Collar got caught in it. We have no collars on our dogs.

ETA: I paid $3200 to get my 1/4 acre done in 2005.

Last edited by MarkWV; 03/18/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
talk to a good fencing company and see if they will give you a deal on supplying all needed accessories

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Grade changes can make a easy job a hassle.

bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Flat land? Rolling? All on one slope?

Bruce

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
same here, all flat. Hoping to get it this year.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Knuckled selvage

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffA

we're on a flat lot, grade change might be 12" max across the whole thing but you couldn't tell by looking at it. I'd be surprised if it's even close to that

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I went with welded wire and tpost its a lot cheaper than chain link, I had 5 acres i fenced in and a half acre dog enclosure

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Irving_D
I went with welded wire and tpost its a lot cheaper than chain link, I had 5 acres i fenced in and a half acre dog enclosure

I'm curious, you mean like woven wire?

I want our fence to be chicken tight (meaning they can't get out you pervs)

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Ryan call 811 and get a free utility locate before you pound posts or dig holes. That way it's on their buck not yours. Allways good to know where your underground utilities are exactly. It's also the law
MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I fenced my 5ac place with 5' chain link. Corner posts should be level or slightly preloaded. Get a fence stretcher and a winch for long runs. Learn how to weave or hem in the cloth. Buy good pliers. String and cut the posts for same reveal.

It's not hard, but it's work.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
Originally Posted by JeffA

we're on a flat lot, grade change might be 12" max across the whole thing but you couldn't tell by looking at it. I'd be surprised if it's even close to that

That's no problem, it's the simple to grade out 6 and 8 inch rapid inclines and drops that are best fixed before ya start.

30 years ago I installed chain link for 10 bucks a post, hard to believe I made money doing it for that rate.
Went up grades so steep you had to dig in foot holds to climb up for a couple hundred feet at times.
It looks great when installed right, lasts a good long while too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Advice From Experience:
Dont run a rototiller too close to it....if it gets started into the fence it'll climb it and make a big f..ing mess before you can stop it.

I know...funny mental picture.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2 2x4's some screws and a 4wheler to pull her tight,

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I built a 15' x 35' dog kennel with 5ft chain link a few years back.
Made up some form boards and poured a 12" wide concrete beam around the perimeter and set my posts in the concrete, thinking that the dog couldn't dig out that way.
My male lab pissed on the posts and they started rusting at the base where they meet the concrete.

I bought my chain link and posts at Lowe's, didn't really look around at other suppliers.
Lowe's may be a lower cost than a lot of places, but I think their material is a lower quality.

Shop around and take a good look at the quality of material.

Be careful when stretching it, you can over do it and the diamond pattern will look "off".

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

A couple of houses ago I did my backyard with drill stem posts, and top rail and Welded wire (hog panels), I concreted every post. Spent what felt like all summer chipping out the holes and torching and welding it together. That thing will be there for 100 years lol.

MAGA
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by MoranoGrande
I built a 15' x 35' dog kennel with 5ft chain link a few years back.
Made up some form boards and poured a 12" wide concrete beam around the perimeter and set my posts in the concrete, thinking that the dog couldn't dig out that way.
My male lab pissed on the posts and they started rusting at the base where they meet the concrete.

I bought my chain link and posts at Lowe's, didn't really look around at other suppliers.
Lowe's may be a lower cost than a lot of places, but I think their material is a lower quality.

Shop around and take a good look at the quality of material.

Be careful when stretching it, you can over do it and the diamond pattern will look "off".

Home center posts are thinner than most fencing places.You don't really tighten in you just snug it up.You pull it really hard you won't even have a diamond pattern.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by Colorado1135

I'm curious, you mean like woven wire?

I want our fence to be chicken tight (meaning they can't get out you pervs)

Sorry I meant welded wire 370’ roll was 250 bucks and it turned out pretty good, it was the cheapest fastest way to keep the [bleep] neighbors dogs off my property. Living in town my options are limited. Once I started decided to keep going and fence in the entire property still have more fencing to do. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
The picture is part of the half acre dog enclosure

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
310 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 922 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.