Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I’ve burned a couple out.

Chainsaw a cross hatch into it and build a fire atop. Hole is all that’s left after a few fires.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What do city folks do with used oil after oil changes?

Oh yeah. Jiffy lube. 😂🤪

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Some trees will come back with a vengeance if you just grind them to below grade and cover and do not kill the roots, Locust comes to mind but they're are others. If that is the type of tree you have cutting as close the ground as possible and then drilling a bunch of 1" holes about 12" deep in the stump then pouring Epson Salt and cap with melted wax from a candle. Cover with black plastic and then dirt. This will kill all of the roots and keep the tree from spouting again.

Pine, poplar and most oaks will not spout back from the stump so just cut as close to the ground as you can and if you do not want to grind the stump just cover with dirt and wait until it rots.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Explosives

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The first mistake you made was cutting it off close to ground level. If you would of left 3-4 feet remaining it would be a lot easier to push over or pull out. Some rope and a couple of pulleys and a truck or small tractor would rip it out.
If you want to burn it use charcoal. Cover it with a bag full, light, and go back the next day to see how much burned .

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The worst I've had to deal with was a triple trunk Hawthorn. They send out sprouts almost as bad as a Bradford Pear.

By the time I got done with the Hawthorn, I looked like I had been in a fight with a family of bobcats.

I used the "half of a 55 gallon drum, charcoal" method to scorch the earth where it had been and still ended up with flats on two of my lawnmower tires from the thorns that got left behind.

,...nasty trees.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Unlike my first thought - it took 13 replies before diesel and fertilizer came up.
The first thought through my mind was "The proper application of high explosives" smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
5 pounds of tannerite might be intersting.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
you can rent a small,medium or large stump grinder, get one big enough and wait till ground is tight,, you can scatter the chips with a shovel then mow over them to disperse them more,, if you have to add dirt later then you have to,,

I AM AMERICA!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If it's in a spot where I can burn it then I drill a bunch of 1" holes with a long auger bit. Top them up with diesel a few times and let it soak in good. On burn day I drill a few more holes from the outside edge down towards the center, the idea is to get a few air vents that connect to the holes from the top. Build a little fire on top and let it go. Mine go hours seeming like nothing is happening and then the top caves in. It'll often burn a couple feet of the roots if they're dry.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hire a stump grinder dude when its drier. It costs minimal to hire that out

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 12344mag
The fun way, Diesel fuel and fertilizer.

Boom! There it is!

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Basically five choices.

1) Dig it out with a backhoe and backfill it.

2) Grind it.

3) Dig a hole to the bottom and try to rocket stove it. Google rocket stove.

4) Dig around and cut off the roots with an axe and spend another week trying to pull it out with a truck.

5) Live with it.

Local Forester gave me some advice on how to make a stump rot faster. As soon as the tree is cut, spray the raw stump with Round-up. It shocks the root system and the tree gives up immediately. Probably knock a year or two off the rotting process.

Last edited by CashisKing; 03/19/21.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
+1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
I would really like to hear some good ideas on how to remove tree stumps. I cut them off as close to the ground as I could with a chainsaw, but, they still pose possible lawn tractor damage. I don't want a chipper that is big enough to do the job to rut the hell out my yard. Decompose? Burn?

Thanks for any replies!

Go sit on the ground and whack at it with your girl scout hatchet. Maybe you’ll chop your other testicle off.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by slumlord
I would really like to hear some good ideas on how to remove tree stumps. I cut them off as close to the ground as I could with a chainsaw, but, they still pose possible lawn tractor damage. I don't want a chipper that is big enough to do the job to rut the hell out my yard. Decompose? Burn?

Thanks for any replies!

Go sit on the ground and whack at it with your girl scout hatchet. Maybe you’ll chop your other testicle off.

Dude. You’re awfully testy about him having you on ignore. Not everybody’s going to like you. Get over it. 😉😂

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Thanks for any replies!

Just go with the stump grinder...it is the easiest solution.

The last few cost me fifty bucks to get rid off and the Deni Boys did good work and were easy to deal with.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Dont know how big your talking but for ones on the smaller side I have dug around them exposing alot of the roots and then cutting the roots with a battery sawzall with a 12" pruning blade. Less hassle tjen dealing with chainsaws vs dirt. They usually come out after this without much difficulty. Have also done the surround with half a drum and burn with charcoal on a few that I couldnt get any equipment to them to rip em out.

Last edited by marktheshark; 03/19/21.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do it the easy way, just hire the yard guys to come in and get 'er done , wont cost all that much and you'll have far less hassle.

Last edited by jnyork; 03/19/21.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
736 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 84 invisible), 2,734 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,700
Posts18,399,968
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.