-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Long story short, i have a couple hundred rounds I previously loaded for my Savage Swede. I no longer have the rifle, but built another based on a Winchester action.

The loaded rounds I have are just a couple of thou to long at the shoulder to easily chamber. I CAN chamber them, but it's super stiff on the handle.

If I were to remove the expander/decapping assembly from my FL sizing die, would it be possible to use it in the same manner as a body die & simply run the load ammo through it, bumping the shoulder back? (I know, not recommended with a body die but let's be honest..... we all do it) Or would I have to pull all the bullets & dump the powder?

From my understanding, the FL die would resize the outside dimension of the neck & i'm concerned I might create an excessive tension issue. Does that make sense?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bullets still loaded? If you can make it work at all it would likely swage down the bullet in the neck.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Personally I'd pull the bullets, take out the decapping pin from the expander assembly and resize the brass to fit your new chamber.

Another option is to just fire the loads since you said it will chamber but with a little bit of resistance. If you do then you'll be able to resize them with a slight shoulder bump or whatever your preference is.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Robtattoo
Long story short, i have a couple hundred rounds I previously loaded for my Savage Swede. I no longer have the rifle, but built another based on a Winchester action.

The loaded rounds I have are just a couple of thou to long at the shoulder to easily chamber. I CAN chamber them, but it's super stiff on the handle.

If I were to remove the expander/decapping assembly from my FL sizing die, would it be possible to use it in the same manner as a body die & simply run the load ammo through it, bumping the shoulder back? (I know, not recommended with a body die but let's be honest..... we all do it) Or would I have to pull all the bullets & dump the powder?

From my understanding, the FL die would resize the outside dimension of the neck & i'm concerned I might create an excessive tension issue. Does that make sense?

It's worse than that. You'd be crushing the bullet in the neck.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Redding body dies are where it’s at for this application. Saved me from having to pull, dump, and resize a couple hundred cases from another rifle just this week.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by chesterwy
Redding body dies are where it’s at for this application. Saved me from having to pull, dump, and resize a couple hundred cases from another rifle just this week.

This^^^^^^ I just bought two because I have two rebarrel projects in the works and still have a significant amount of loaded ammo for both of these rifles.

lightman
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

Yep, thinking about it & after the comments above, which it would seem are perfectly accurate agr a little research, that's just all around the best option.

Thanks y'all.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 84Mtn_EER

Another option is to just fire the loads since you said it will chamber but with a little bit of resistance. If you do then you'll be able to resize them with a slight shoulder bump or whatever your preference is.

This^

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Robtattoo

That reads like more than a little bit of resistance.

Last edited by mathman; 03/20/21.
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
<!DOCTYPE html>
<!--[if lt IE 7]> <html class="no-js ie6 oldie" lang="en-US"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 7]> <html class="no-js ie7 oldie" lang="en-US"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if IE 8]> <html class="no-js ie8 oldie" lang="en-US"> <![endif]-->
<!--[if gt IE 8]><!--> <html class="no-js" lang="en-US"> <!--<![endif]-->
<head>
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="0">

<title>www.24hourcampfire.com | 520: Web server is returning an unknown error</title>
<meta charset="UTF-8" />
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge,chrome=1" />
<meta name="robots" content="noindex, nofollow" />
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width,initial-scale=1" />
<link rel="stylesheet" id="cf_styles-css" href="/cdn-cgi/styles/main.css" type="text/css" media="screen,projection" />

</head>
<body>
<div id="cf-wrapper">

<div id="cf-error-details" class="p-0">
<header class="mx-auto pt-10 lg:pt-6 lg:px-8 w-240 lg:w-full mb-8">
<h1 class="inline-block sm:block sm:mb-2 font-light text-60 lg:text-4xl text-black-dark leading-tight mr-2">

<span class="cf-error-type">Error</span>
<span class="cf-error-code">520</span>
</h1>
<span class="inline-block sm:block font-mono text-15 lg:text-sm lg:leading-relaxed">Ray ID: 6331fcf419b73b3f •</span>
<span class="inline-block sm:block font-mono text-15 lg:text-sm lg:leading-relaxed">2021-03-20 21:21:04 UTC</span>
<h2 class="text-gray-600 leading-1.3 text-3xl font-light">Web server is returning an unknown error</h2>
</header>

<div class="my-8 bg-gradient-gray">
<div class="w-240 lg:w-full mx-auto">
<div class="clearfix md:px-8">

<div id="cf-browser-status" class=" relative w-1/3 md:w-full py-15 md:p-0 md:py-8 md:text-left md:border-solid md:border-0 md:border-b md:border-gray-400 overflow-hidden float-left md:float-none text-center">
<div class="relative mb-10 md:m-0">
<span class="cf-icon-browser block md:hidden h-20 bg-center bg-no-repeat"></span>
<span class="cf-icon-ok w-12 h-12 absolute left-1/2 md:left-auto md:right-0 md:top-0 -ml-6 -bottom-4"></span>
</div>
<span class="md:block w-full truncate">You</span>
<h3 class="md:inline-block mt-3 md:mt-0 text-2xl text-gray-600 font-light leading-1.3">Browser</h3>
<span class="leading-1.3 text-2xl text-green-success">Working</span>
</div>

<div id="cf-cloudflare-status" class=" relative w-1/3 md:w-full py-15 md:p-0 md:py-8 md:text-left md:border-solid md:border-0 md:border-b md:border-gray-400 overflow-hidden float-left md:float-none text-center">
<span class="cf-icon-cloud block md:hidden h-20 bg-center bg-no-repeat"></span>
<span class="cf-icon-ok w-12 h-12 absolute left-1/2 md:left-auto md:right-0 md:top-0 -ml-6 -bottom-4"></span>
</div>
<span class="md:block w-full truncate">San Jose</span>
<h3 class="md:inline-block mt-3 md:mt-0 text-2xl text-gray-600 font-light leading-1.3">Cloudflare</h3>
</div>

<div id="cf-host-status" class="cf-error-source relative w-1/3 md:w-full py-15 md:p-0 md:py-8 md:text-left md:border-solid md:border-0 md:border-b md:border-gray-400 overflow-hidden float-left md:float-none text-center">
<span class="cf-icon-server block md:hidden h-20 bg-center bg-no-repeat"></span>
<span class="cf-icon-error w-12 h-12 absolute left-1/2 md:left-auto md:right-0 md:top-0 -ml-6 -bottom-4"></span>
</div>
<span class="md:block w-full truncate">www.24hourcampfire.com</span>
<h3 class="md:inline-block mt-3 md:mt-0 text-2xl text-gray-600 font-light leading-1.3">Host</h3>
<span class="leading-1.3 text-2xl text-red-error">Error</span>
</div>

</div>

</div>
</div>

<div class="w-240 lg:w-full mx-auto mb-8 lg:px-8">
<div class="clearfix">
<div class="w-1/2 md:w-full float-left pr-6 md:pb-10 md:pr-0 leading-relaxed">
<h2 class="text-3xl font-normal leading-1.3 mb-4">What happened?</h2>
<p>There is an unknown connection issue between Cloudflare and the origin web server. As a result, the web page can not be displayed.</p>
</div>

<div class="w-1/2 md:w-full float-left leading-relaxed">
<h2 class="text-3xl font-normal leading-1.3 mb-4">What can I do?</h2>
<h3 class="text-15 font-semibold mb-2">If you are a visitor of this website:</h3>
<p class="mb-6">Please try again in a few minutes.</p>

<h3 class="text-15 font-semibold mb-2">If you are the owner of this website:</h3>
<p><span>There is an issue between Cloudflare's cache and your origin web server. Cloudflare monitors for these errors and automatically investigates the cause. To help support the investigation, you can pull the corresponding error log from your web server and submit it our support team. Please include the Ray ID (which is at the bottom of this error page).</span> <a rel="noopener noreferrer" href="https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200171936-Error-520">Additional troubleshooting resources</a>.</p>
</div>
</div>

</div>

<div class="cf-error-footer cf-wrapper w-240 lg:w-full py-10 sm:py-4 sm:px-8 mx-auto text-center sm:text-left border-solid border-0 border-t border-gray-300">
<p class="text-13">
<span class="cf-footer-item sm:block sm:mb-1">Cloudflare Ray ID: <strong class="font-semibold">6331fcf419b73b3f</strong></span>
<span class="cf-footer-separator sm:hidden">•</span>
<span class="cf-footer-item sm:block sm:mb-1"><span>Your IP</span>: 2600:100f:b038:d54e:9503:e697:a5ec:bed9</span>
<span class="cf-footer-item sm:block sm:mb-1"><span>Performance & security by</span> <a rel="noopener noreferrer" href="https://www.cloudflare.com/5xx-error-landing" id="brand_link" target="_blank">Cloudflare</a></span>

</p>
</div><!-- /.error-footer -->

</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

Body die is your huckleberry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>

<title>www.24hourcampfire.com | 520: Web server is returning an unknown error</title>
<meta charset="UTF-8" />
<link rel="stylesheet" id="cf_styles-css" href="/cdn-cgi/styles/main.css" type="text/css" media="screen,projection" />

</head>
<body>
<div id="cf-wrapper">

<h1 class="inline-block sm:block sm:mb-2 font-light text-60 lg:text-4xl text-black-dark leading-tight mr-2">

</h1>
<span class="inline-block sm:block font-mono text-15 lg:text-sm lg:leading-relaxed">Ray ID: 6331fcf419b73b3f •</span>
<span class="inline-block sm:block font-mono text-15 lg:text-sm lg:leading-relaxed">2021-03-20 21:21:04 UTC</span>
<h2 class="text-gray-600 leading-1.3 text-3xl font-light">Web server is returning an unknown error</h2>
</header>

<div id="cf-browser-status" class=" relative w-1/3 md:w-full py-15 md:p-0 md:py-8 md:text-left md:border-solid md:border-0 md:border-b md:border-gray-400 overflow-hidden float-left md:float-none text-center">
<span class="cf-icon-browser block md:hidden h-20 bg-center bg-no-repeat"></span>
</div>
<h3 class="md:inline-block mt-3 md:mt-0 text-2xl text-gray-600 font-light leading-1.3">Browser</h3>
</div>

<div id="cf-cloudflare-status" class=" relative w-1/3 md:w-full py-15 md:p-0 md:py-8 md:text-left md:border-solid md:border-0 md:border-b md:border-gray-400 overflow-hidden float-left md:float-none text-center">
</div>
<h3 class="md:inline-block mt-3 md:mt-0 text-2xl text-gray-600 font-light leading-1.3">Cloudflare</h3>
</div>

<div id="cf-host-status" class="cf-error-source relative w-1/3 md:w-full py-15 md:p-0 md:py-8 md:text-left md:border-solid md:border-0 md:border-b md:border-gray-400 overflow-hidden float-left md:float-none text-center">
<span class="cf-icon-server block md:hidden h-20 bg-center bg-no-repeat"></span>
<span class="cf-icon-error w-12 h-12 absolute left-1/2 md:left-auto md:right-0 md:top-0 -ml-6 -bottom-4"></span>
</div>
<h3 class="md:inline-block mt-3 md:mt-0 text-2xl text-gray-600 font-light leading-1.3">Host</h3>
</div>

</div>

</div>
</div>

<div class="clearfix">
<p>There is an unknown connection issue between Cloudflare and the origin web server. As a result, the web page can not be displayed.</p>
</div>

<h3 class="text-15 font-semibold mb-2">If you are a visitor of this website:</h3>

<h3 class="text-15 font-semibold mb-2">If you are the owner of this website:</h3>
<p><span>There is an issue between Cloudflare's cache and your origin web server. Cloudflare monitors for these errors and automatically investigates the cause. To help support the investigation, you can pull the corresponding error log from your web server and submit it our support team. Please include the Ray ID (which is at the bottom of this error page).</span> <a rel="noopener noreferrer" href="https://support.cloudflare.com/hc/en-us/articles/200171936-Error-520">Additional troubleshooting resources</a>.</p>
</div>
</div>

</div>

<div class="cf-error-footer cf-wrapper w-240 lg:w-full py-10 sm:py-4 sm:px-8 mx-auto text-center sm:text-left border-solid border-0 border-t border-gray-300">
<p class="text-13">
<span class="cf-footer-item sm:block sm:mb-1">Cloudflare Ray ID: <strong class="font-semibold">6331fcf419b73b3f</strong></span>
<span class="cf-footer-item sm:block sm:mb-1"><span>Your IP</span>: 2600:100f:b038:d54e:9503:e697:a5ec:bed9</span>
<span class="cf-footer-item sm:block sm:mb-1"><span>Performance & security by</span> <a rel="noopener noreferrer" href="https://www.cloudflare.com/5xx-error-landing" id="brand_link" target="_blank">Cloudflare</a></span>

</p>

</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

Yeah, what he said...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Explain the difference between the Redding body die and the Lee collet dies? My experience with the Lee collets is that it’s good for a reload or two, then the case has expanded too much to chamber afterwards. The Redding, as I read, says it bumps the shoulder back, which, in my mind would prevent the resistance I feel when I chamber a round sized from the collet dies.

Am I off base here?

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Lee collet dies size the neck, they don't touch the shoulder and body.

Redding body dies size the body and shoulder, they don't touch the neck.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Redding body die bumps shoulder does not touch neck, Lee collet die sizes neck does not bump shoulder!

I smoke or mark shoulder with a felt pen and just bump case enough to fit to a different chamber with a Redding body die.

What Mathman said!!

Last edited by kk alaska; 03/20/21.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
<!DOCTYPE html>
<head>

<meta charset="UTF-8" />

</head>
<body>
<div id="cf-wrapper">

</h1>
</header>

</div>
</div>

</div>
</div>

</div>
</div>

</div>

</div>
</div>

<div class="clearfix">
</div>

</div>
</div>

</div>

<p class="text-13">

</p>

</div>
</div>
</body>
</html>

Yeah, what he said...

503 error got me

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,511 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,633
Posts18,455,226
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.