24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't have to join. I was in a job that could have kept me out and I was much older than everyone else in my platoon. I went in 1969. I was injured and spent six months in Bal Boa Naval Hospital and six months in Camp Pendleton Naval Hospital. I've spent time in VA hospitals after I got out.

After being in Bal Boa for awhile a friend from my platoon was admitted. He told me that half the platoon (40 teen agers) was dead already (they hadn't been in country all that long). I never heard how many made it back to the states. I need to go to the wall.

In my high school class more people killed themselves after they got back then were killed in Vietnam. My brother-in-law also killed himself after he got back.

We couldn't get jobs because we were veterans. The signs on the HR doors stated, "NO VETERANS!" The police harassed veterans because they knew we were all dope dealers. The story goes on and it wasn't good.

[bleep] LBJ.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
BP-B2

Saw your post...was their in 73-74...knew some of the Marines that were evacuated in "Operation Frequent Wind." Knew most members of PSU for Ambassador

Graham Martin. Served at AMB. residence then later was awaiting orders for Da Nang Consulate. Couple weeks later, I and some more Marines were sent to MH # 2.

Close to end of my tour, put in request for 6 month extension but State Dept. had decided to reduce the ranks there. If I would have gotten it, would have been there

during the siege/fall. Thanks for getting all the Marines and Embassy personnel out. It's a shame the S.Dept. didn't get everyone out that was promised...especially

in Da Nang.

By the way, haven't read all the posts but the last, mostly Marines on the Vietnam Wall, were killed during the SS Mayaguez incident...aprox. 40 Marines.

Met a GySgt. in 2010 that was there and his SS 56/7 was shot down. It happened about 2 weeks after Operation Frequent Wind.

Last edited by minton; 01/24/21.

Home of the Free because of the Brave
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bugger
I didn't have to join. I was in a job that could have kept me out and I was much older than everyone else in my platoon. I went in 1969. I was injured and spent six months in Bal Boa Naval Hospital and six months in Camp Pendleton Naval Hospital. I've spent time in VA hospitals after I got out.

After being in Bal Boa for awhile a friend from my platoon was admitted. He told me that half the platoon (40 teen agers) was dead already (they hadn't been in country all that long). I never heard how many made it back to the states. I need to go to the wall.

In my high school class more people killed themselves after they got back then were killed in Vietnam. My brother-in-law also killed himself after he got back.

We couldn't get jobs because we were veterans. The signs on the HR doors stated, "NO VETERANS!" The police harassed veterans because they knew we were all dope dealers. The story goes on and it wasn't good.

[bleep] LBJ.

Man I’m sorry to hear that. Thanks for all you’ve done and God bless those gone by

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MGunns
Originally Posted by Bugger

[bleep] LBJ.

Man I’m sorry to hear that. Thanks for all you’ve done and God bless those gone by

My Dad served in Vietnam and his brother, my uncle died at Khe Sahn. You all never got the thanks you deserve

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
This Thread strikes interest in me I am the generation younger than most commenting here. My father-in-law Vietnam era vet but was never in Vietnam I will never knock him for his service but he sure eats up the veteran status when able. My mother's brother speaks very little of it what was in the absolute middle of everything. Dustoff unit volunteered for the Declassified nowadays poww Rescue Mission
It takes all aspects to keep things rolling I understand this but somehow the ones that did the most talked to least it seems like or at least right out of the situation very confusing for a lot of people.

Last edited by ldholton; 02/12/21.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
THANK YOU to every body that went to that chitt hole .that was a useless war that wasted to many men in my op.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
All gave some, some gave all.

USMC 68-71, RVN 69-70.

Semper Fi.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just buried my FIL last week. He served from 69-94. Never went to Vietnam, but not by his choosing. Just worked out that way. He did get in some time during the Gulf War and almost got it when the British lit up their convoy. He never mentioned being a Vietnam era vet as it was too much to explain and usually said he was too young for Vietnam if anyone asked.

He was buried in a National Cemetery with full honors. The one thing he didn't do prior to dying was have his uniform ready to be buried in. He made it clear he wanted to be buried in the uniform so I had to recreate as much as I could from his DD214. I bought half the ribbons and used some of my own. They already had him in the jacket in the casket, so I had to do it all while he was wearing it. Might have poked him a time or two, just for the hell of it.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Service is Service.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I I listed in the Army in 66 to 69. Went to Vietnam in August of 66 did one tour. I was a crane operator and worked Saigon port and barge sites around Saigon. I always felt a little guilty about never being in combat when I see what other guys went through. I think the only people that were happy to see me to come home were my parents. I wear a Vietnam Veteran hat at times and people will thank me for my service but I feel guilty because I wasn’t a combat veteran.

Terry

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by minton
Saw your post...was their in 73-74...knew some of the Marines that were evacuated in "Operation Frequent Wind." Knew most members of PSU for Ambassador

Graham Martin. Served at AMB. residence then later was awaiting orders for Da Nang Consulate. Couple weeks later, I and some more Marines were sent to MH # 2.

Close to end of my tour, put in request for 6 month extension but State Dept. had decided to reduce the ranks there. If I would have gotten it, would have been there

during the siege/fall. Thanks for getting all the Marines and Embassy personnel out. It's a shame the S.Dept. didn't get everyone out that was promised...especially

in Da Nang.

By the way, haven't read all the posts but the last, mostly Marines on the Vietnam Wall, were killed during the SS Mayaguez incident...aprox. 40 Marines.

Met a GySgt. in 2010 that was there and his SS 56/7 was shot down. It happened about 2 weeks after Operation Frequent Wind.

I have a high school class mate who was involved in that incident. He lost several good friends in that operation. To the best of my knowledge their bodies were never returned. My friend stayed for 20 years in the Corp and retired out as a GySgt.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by chance
I I listed in the Army in 66 to 69. Went to Vietnam in August of 66 did one tour. I was a crane operator and worked Saigon port and barge sites around Saigon. I always felt a little guilty about never being in combat when I see what other guys went through. I think the only people that were happy to see me to come home were my parents. I wear a Vietnam Veteran hat at times and people will thank me for my service but I feel guilty because I wasn’t a combat veteran.

Terry

Years ago I was talking to a SEAL who had written a book and mentioned that I had been in uniform but not in Viet Nam. He said, "You did your part".

One man I knew was a truck driver in VN and felt like you stated.

You both did your parts, too.

Retired cat herder.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by crsides
If you served in the early 70's, you gotta be 70+ yrs old. I say put it behind you and move on. From a guy who served my 2yrs in Italy 1969-71. And was glad of it.

Almost correct. Joined the USAF in Aug 1971. Retired in September 1992 and currently am 67. Was never troubled by not going to Nam. I volunteered on my dream sheer but was never selected. The military is a team. We all did our parts to make it run smoothly.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I worked with a guy back in the 90s that was drafted in 1970. His BIL was a SMAJ in Germany and he pulled some strings for him. Got sent to Germany and worked in a mail room for two years.

B
B
Originally Posted by MOGC
Yesterday I had an interesting conversation with a guy and wonder what y'all thoughts are. A little background...

I have known this guy for years very casually. His daughter and my daughter are the same age and both of them being athletes in high school we sat through a lot of various sporting events together. Nowadays it's grandkids and we are once again sitting around watching volleyball, basketball and softball games. This gentleman is always decked out in some sort of Army apparel, usually of the Vietnam era. Shirts, jackets, hats with "Vietnam Vet", Ranger tabs, jump wings, CIB, POW, ect. He keeps a POW flag and 101st Airborne Screaming Eagles flag flying in his front yard. I had always assumed he saw action in Vietnam. He has a CIB pin on his hat and CIB patch on his jacket. People often tell him "thank you for your service," and one day a guy introduced his son to him as a hero. "Look son, this man is an Army Ranger and was a POW in Vietnam." The guy in question always acknowledged the thank you as if it were fact.

Yesterday we ended up sitting beside each other at a basketball game and had a one hour break between games. That gave us some time for conversation and I asked about his service in the Army. I was surprised when he told me he never went to Vietnam. He enlisted and served in the Army from 71-75 and his only posting out of the US was to Germany. He was a crewman on an APC and was a trained as a mortar man. He said he was later "attached to the 101st". No talk of earning a Ranger Tab, CIB or of POW.

Seems pretty disingenuous to me. Is this a case of Stolen Valor?

Absolutely Stolen Valor.
Especially the CIB. And if a real Ranger caught him pretending to be one, a butt kicking would not be out of the question.
I beat the draft by enlisting in the Army in late 1967. After Basic and AIT i was assigned to a field artillery unit at Fort Carson, Colorado.
One winter at Carson, going to the field with the guns in below zero temps and FEET of snow was no place for a Florida Boy.
I volunteered for a lot of places trying to get out of there, but kept getting turned down. They accepted my request for overseas service in the Republic of Vietnam, however.

I was assigned to a brigade that was on loan to the Marines, and operated with them along the DMZ. It was known as Indian Country.
I spent my year behind the wire on an infantry base camp. Got to dodge rockets, mortars, and the occasional sniper, but at least I wasn't out beating the bush.

The only people eligible to EARN a CIB have the MOS of 11B (Infantry). I was not, but was awarded a Meritorious Bronze Star Medal instead. But, I never wear it, nor the Army Commendation Medal I was awarded, either.
I DO wear caps identifying myself as having served in the 5th Infantry Division - I'm damn proud of that.

To me, anyone who raised their right hand, took the oath, and served honorably, is my Brother or Sister.
I don't care if they served stateside or in a combat zone, Europe or Korea, or somewhere else. In the sky or at sea. War time or peace time.
None of that matters to me. Each and every one of us went where we were told, did what we were trained to do, and made the choice to die for our country if it came to that.
Brothers and Sisters. And I'm honored to be in their company.

Last edited by Big_Al; 04/10/21.

"There is nothing so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
Winston Churchill
Member: VFW, American Legion, Vietnam Veterans of America
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Funny this got bumped. It's a small town here, I ended up in the barber shop last week getting a haircut about the same time as the guy in my post. It's a single chair shop and he got his haircut ahead of me. He laid his cap on the bench seat beside me. It was an Army hat with a Screaming Eagle pin on one side and a CIB pin on the other. There was talk in the shop of gun regulations coming down and our AR15 rifles being threatened by the democrats. The barber asked this guy if he had an M16 in Vietnam and this guy said yes and that they jammed a lot. Kinda hard to listen to without fronting the guy out. Even if I did question him I'm sure he would just like lie to get around it.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks again gentlemen, I really appreciate the encouraging words. Two of my childhood friends joined along with me, in Aug, 1971. We were all in Boot Camp together in Ft Leonard Wood, MO. I was sent to Artillery, Ft Sill; one buddy went to Helicopter Mech school in Geogia, and one went to Medic School in Santone, Tx. (We were all from East Texas) The Mech( he was a poor helicopter mech so they put him in a Transportation co, trucks) was stationed in Mainz, GE. The Medic was stationed in Stuttgart, GE. I was stationed in Augsburg. One of them died of cancer three years ago. The other shot himself last Thursday night. There are no answers to my questions, I miss them both terribly so. "There is a friend that is closer than a brother"...that's anyone you Served with for sure.

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 05/11/21.
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've been casually following this thread and hesitate to comment but here goes.

First off, thanks to any and all who served. Having served 20yrs. I know that everyone in uniform has a part to play and it all matters, period. Also, anyone who raises their right hand and takes the oath is signing a check for up to and including their life, period.

Having said that, there are combat zones and then there is combat. Less then 10% of servicemen that deploy to a combat zone even see the enemy, much less engage in a two way live fire event. Yet, there is no shortage of vets, from all eras, sitting at the end of bars, holding court while festooned in patches, badges and hats (often not deserved, much less earned) for the sake of recognition. These people soak up every benefit or perk they can, from inflated disability ratings to free hunts. These are the vets that make vets look bad.

Again, thanks to any and all who served. Be proud of your service but never claim to be something you are not.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
pointed out to me by a buddy, who is a Marine Vietnam Vet, and several of his buddies with the same credentials..

Someone who never served, was giving me crap about I wasn't a Veteran if I didn't serve in a combat zone..

This Marines surrounded him, and their basic point forced down his throat, was If you served you are a Veteran..
does not matter, where you served, when you served or what your MOS was.. Less than 1% of people in this nation are Veterans.

They asked this guy did he serve, and when he said no, boy did the schitt hit the fan over that, for criticizing me since I wasn't a combat vet..

Then these Marine Vets apologized to me.... I didn't understand that...

Guess we all can't be Rambo....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JMR40
This isn't just a Vietnam era situation. My dad was a WW-2 vet who served from 1942 through all of 1944 state side working in hospitals on bases where bomber crews were being trained. There were lots of accidents, injuries and deaths in training. He was transferred to the infantry for training in the fall of 1944 and finished his training just in time to go to Europe in January 1945 as a replacement during the Battle of the Bulge. Once in Belgium they took his rifle, painted a red cross on his helmet and assigned him to a field hospital. He spent the rest of the war driving an ambulance picking up wounded and bringing them back to the hospital. Dad never fired a shot. The only time he was shot at was crossing the Rhine on a pontoon bridge while the Germans were taking blind artillery shots at it.

Before his death dad pointed out something to me that I'd never thought about concerning WW-2 vets. Back in the 1940's 90% of the soldiers were in support roles just like my dad. Many were cooks, truck drivers, mechanics, clerks, and a large number never left the USA. I had an uncle in the Navy who spent the entire war in Seattle loading cargo ships. In the Pacific the number of servicemen actually in combat was closer to 5% of those who served. I've since verified those numbers, dad was correct. Dad was always honest about the role he played in the war. But the thing that bothered dad was that he had never met another WW-2 vet that hadn't fought somewhere. He had never ran across anyone who would admit that although they did serve during WW-2, they served in a support role and were never near combat. Considering that only 5-10% of those who served were ever actually in combat the odds just don't seem possible.

My dad was no hero. But he did the job he was assigned to do. Just as you did. I'm still proud of my dads service, and I thank you for your's. Be proud of what you did. There was a real threat from the Soviets in the early 1970's.

A lot of those guys although not in combat operations were in the theater of operations and could be subject to enemy action/gunfire/artillery, ect even if unlikely. I spent ten years active duty in the USAF during the Vietnam era, as a pharmacist. Back in 1969 at McCoy AFB, Fla our bomb wing deployed to Guam to bomb Vietnam and I stayed behind, My job and that of our physicians, nurses and technicans was to support the remaining active troups there, the dependents of those deployed so that those folks did not have to worry about medical support for their dependents, and the hundreds of retirees in the area. Dangerous, no, needed, yes, it was still honorable service. A couple of years later I was posted to Turkey, and was under blackout conditions when the Turks invaded Cyprus fighting the Greeks over some problem, of which I cannot remember. I got recalled and posted to England to man a contingency hospital during Desert Storm, Our big danger was being in the wrong place at the wrong time with the IRA, as a couple of their terroist attacks occured nearby when I was in London doing a bit of touring.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
116 members (257 mag, 35, 160user, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 308ld, 15 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 797 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.