Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15918891 03/20/21
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
How long before Leupold folds or gets sold out? Will there be a company to fix older Leupold scopes?

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I think that’s looming on the horizon. They seem to have lost their way.

Its not always easy to do the right thing, But it is always the right thing to do.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
They've been living on name brand recognition for 20 years...and spending stupendous amounts of money on full page glossy magazine advertising. Eventually they will be gobbled up or implode. They were famous for no fault customer service...why would shooters continue to purchase a brand that NEEDS customer service? Before I wised up I could recite their warranty address by heart, something wrong with that picture.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Five years ago, Burris/Nikon/Weaver/Sightron/Leupold/Redfield were all selling “set and forget” hunting scopes, that didn’t look like something out of a Remington 770 wet dream.

Now, I’m told those are all “passe”, and I gotta buy something either “made in China”, or with a gawd-damzed 2” elevation turret sticking out of it, or some stupid “LX-Freedom” angular styling, unless I wanna spend $700 on a VX-3HD without a CDS cap....

Screw it. I’m hoarding Filipino Burris’s before Burris messes that up,too.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Happy w/ the Vari-X II, VX-1, and VX-3i.

Hope they find their way back.

GR

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’m sure their inability to deliver new gloss and silver scopes to nursing home gun collectors will do them in.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I don’t think they’re the only scope manufacturer that makes scopes that need customer service. They do however have very good customer service. Some companies have zero or poor service for their optics. I’ve used their customer service once in 46 years of owning I’d guess 40-50 Leupolds. The 20 or so that I own work fine for me.
I sure hope they continue as an optics manufacturer.

NRA Patron
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Happy w/ the Vari-X II, VX-1, and VX-3i.

Hope they find their way back. GR

I do too. I like my Leupold scopes.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ChrisAU
I’m sure their inability to deliver new gloss and silver scopes to nursing home gun collectors will do them in.

Your sarcasm may be on point.

Then again, thinking that guys are going to continue buying $1500 scopes, to stick on $1500-$3000 guns, in order to blow through ammo that is either unavailable, or now costs $50 a box, to fling at steel targets that are 1000 yards away, might also be a “mistaken” business model.

Time will tell, but the word “fad” comes to mind....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I used only Leupold for years and years. Finally had it with inconsistent adjustments and rtz. Further, even if I still had faith in the vx-5 and 6, they don't offer them in the FFP and mil configurations that I and more and more buyers prefer.

They seem to be bleeding market share big time in all areas of their lines as years go on. They do now have some compelling offerings in their Mark lines, but it seems that they priced themselves out of being competitive in the spots they're trying to occupy. Competition in these areas is just too good and has been long established as reliable.

I still hope they get the ship righted before it's too late. They should've owned and taken care of inconsistent tracking early on. There's no way they weren't well aware of their shortcomings in this area, and it didn't take a crystal ball to see that the market for new scopes was headed towards reliable dialing and away from set it and forget it use. Instead they topped their old designs with exposed turrets and tried to cash in without first doing the requisite work to make a viable turret twister, and now they have a tarnished brand.

Last edited by Starbuck; 03/20/21.
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've always thought their biggest problem with mechanics is their 12oz scope. Heavy scopes are generally built heavier duty. A nightforce is literally twice the weight for example.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I still like Leupold. Maybe that's because I like to hunt more than I like to shoot at animals a 1000 yards away. It sounds like people are becoming more shooters than hunters. I have yet to have a Leupold fail me while hunting something I can't say for another brand. That only happened once and the other scopes I have had of same maker are still going strong. I have bought 3 Leupolds this year and will buy other brands too. It does seem people like to bash the company at the top. Maybe it is to give them cover for their choices.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I've always thought their biggest problem with mechanics is their 12oz scope. Heavy scopes are generally built heavier duty. A nightforce is literally twice the weight for example.

There's a lot of us who have about as much use for a nightforce-weight scope as we do for tofu and pajama boy. Leupold needs to pull their head out. Or someone needs to take over their niche.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Plenty of 20 oz scopes out there that work, even those are almost twice the weight of Leupold though...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
I still like Leupold. Maybe that's because I like to hunt more than I like to shoot at animals a 1000 yards away. It sounds like people are becoming more shooters than hunters. I have yet to have a Leupold fail me while hunting something I can't say for another brand. That only happened once and the other scopes I have had of same maker are still going strong. I have bought 3 Leupolds this year and will buy other brands too. It does seem people like to bash the company at the top. Maybe it is to give them cover for their choices.

Agreed. Leupold is a stable company. I have no concerns with buying more based on my experiences. There are several other brands I will never buy again due to failures in the field.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I am a Leupold man for sure. I have owned many different models. I have only had two scopes fail. One the elevation would not adjust, would not move. Sent in and got same scope back like new with new erector system. The second scope failed two times fast. It was Air rifle scope 3 x 9 EFR. It blew erector system out on spring gun. They told me they Would not rebuild again for free. They stopped the air rifle line. I think Leupold LPS scopes are the best scope buy on the market. Lenses were made by Leica, when Leupold tried to take over the scope market. They put it all in the LPS series. Best glass, built like a tank durable. If you get a chance to buy one, buy it. Good shooting

D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
My disgust with Leupold is they no longer repair older scopes and only offer a replacement. Some of my scopes fill a need that there is no other that will works or work as well. I can live with higher prices for mods and reticle replacement. If I wanted what they offer now I'd buy it. I don't get older scopes to be "period correct". I'm a function over form type.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by fburgtx
Five years ago, Burris/Nikon/Weaver/Sightron/Leupold/Redfield were all selling “set and forget” hunting scopes, that didn’t look like something out of a Remington 770 wet dream.

Now, I’m told those are all “passe”, and I gotta buy something either “made in China”, or with a gawd-damzed 2” elevation turret sticking out of it, or some stupid “LX-Freedom” angular styling, unless I wanna spend $700 on a VX-3HD without a CDS cap....

Me too. A half dozen in the past couple of months. Natchez...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by fburgtx

Question is, how many is enough?

Hard to beat the FF2 and E1 for the money. Definitely better adjustments than any V-whatever 2 I’ve had, and the view is good enough.

What fresh Hell is this?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (2003and2013, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,333 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,131
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.