“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I have sectioned hiked from West Virginia, Maryland and half way thru Pennsylvania. Planning on sectioning more of PA. in June. I am not retired as of yet so doing section hikes is all I can do for now.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've spent some time on some of the Pacific Cres Trail here in Kalifornia. Lots of literature out on the subject. And lots of people hiking it every year. Of the people I've known who have done it, I know only one who almost made the whole trail. She lost over 30 lbs. and went through four pairs of boots.
I'd say do a lot of research, allow plenty of time and do a state that sounds good to you. Lots of friendly, helpful people do this every year. I've met lots of them. There are people who go to the trail from local areas just to check and see if any of the "through hikers" need anything. Very rarely have any of those hiking it have any trouble with others in the area. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hiked the PCT when i was young from Kennedy meadows to Truckee. my feet are still sore. picked up a nice case of beaver fever along the way somewhere in Yosemite.i had planned to finish at Shasta. 52 years ago. good grief where did it go.

Last edited by deerstalker; 03/21/21.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Whiteblaze forum.

Whiteblaze Forum

Lots info. I've only done a few sections, but that forum has all the info you need to not screw up your logistics.

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Have hiked, camped, hunted and explored sections of the PCT north of Yosemite for over 40yrs.

Plenty of info and support for thru hikers. Also some great fishing if willing to venture off the trail a few miles.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
The AT is considered the easier and more commercial of the two. Which to choose will depend on your goals, shape, time, and experience. If you want local advice I would see if there is a hiking club nearby or someone really knowledgeable at the outdoors/REI store.

One thing I became on convert on when hiking the CDT a few years in a row is ultralight gear. I had my gear under 30 pounds for a week’s worth of food and 2 liters of water. Even more impressive since I am 6’6” and my gear and clothes just weigh more by virtue of being bigger. Ray Jardine’s book completely changed my philosophy and enjoyment of hiking.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you want a shorter hike, take a look at Idaho's Centennial trail, 900 miles from NV to Canada.
If it won't play, use this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mguDUzs9bi4&feature=emb_imp_woyt

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
David Walter: You tube has many videos of hikers doing the AT and PCT, try this one for the PCT ... I enjoyed it. This will give you a look into the challenges. Again... there is so much info available from previous through hikers and many present this info on You tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIvyuazEoaw This is for the PCT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Suggest you take connecting trails and loop sections in the PCT, perhaps with two vehicles until you get your "legs".

There are no stores or kool-aid stands on it.

Arm yourself.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
AT from Springer thru Smokey Mtn Park, And I hiked Maine in '08.

LOTS of good books, ultra light is the way to go.

Last edited by Hancock27; 03/22/21. Reason: errors

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I enjoy the solitude when alone and you will meet wonderful people along the way. You set your own pace and do what you want when you want to. If you hike with another person or a group, you will be compromising on many things. as you go. But to me, it is nice down shift from the high speed life many of us operate at in the normal world. I enjoy the disconnect and the slower pace of my day. In the end you are just walking with a pack on your back. A simple thing in an ever growing complex world.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I have hiked the AT and part of the PCT from Canadian boarder to central OR.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
In 6 years I will be retired at age 60.

On my to-do list the following season

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you may want to post a question in Appalachian Mountain Club https://www.outdoors.org/

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Contact the ATC (Appalchian Trail Conservancy) for lots of useful info and publications. And if you haven't already, read Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods".
I maintained a three mile section of the AT (west of Crawford Notch in NH) for a few years about 10 years ago and have walked much of the trail through NH and Maine. There will be some rough hiking in these two states. If I was going to hike the entire trail at this point in my life, it would be done during as many Septembers as necessary.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I've hiked the Appalachian Trail, from its start and finish, from one end to the other.... this was in High School, and my college years...

of course not at one time, but from 1966 to 1974....went to college in New England, where I did that entire end, into NY State... and lets not forget Jersey

northern Virginia was home where I have gone up and did the Trail in Pa, Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia and northern Tennessee & North Carolina

worked two summers in North Georgia and my grand parents lived in Chattanooga, and hiked that part in the summers of 71 and 72...

When I was stationed at Madigan on Ft Lewis, back in 77 and 78, me and some buddies hiked the Pacific Crest from The Canadian Border, down to Around Bend OR
on weekends off.....

Living in Southern Oregon, I have hiked the Pacific Crest, here in southern Oregon and some of far northern California...that has been with Boy Scouts...

although now, I am not the hiking fool I use to be...

In college, I also hiked the Long Trail in Vermont its full length, and if anyone knows what the " 46'ers" was over in NY State, I hiked and climbed the 46 peaks that made up that.... but I was after the first thousand that had finished the entire show, before they closed the club...

I still have my old college hiking boots from that period... which has had about 4 sets of Vibram souls put on them....old pair of Dexter Boots I bought up in Maine at the Factory outlet back in like 1971....

still also have a couple of 50 miler patches from when I was a Scout and Explorer back in the 60-s Courtesy of the Appalachian Trail...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Back in the 1970's I did a few week-long trips on the AT. PA, NJ and New Hampshire. Back when I had the knees that God gave me. The hikers going end-to-end impressed me. Bare minimum of gear, they'd show up at camp at sundown and be gone when we'd wake up in the mornings. Amazing dedication and discipline.

At 64, I'm trying to remember why I thought that was fun at the time.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
AT. Got struck by lightning early on. I Was on top of Blood mountain appropriately enough. Not fun.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hiked the AT in 1966 when there were no frills. Packs were heavy, no hostels, parents had to send resupplies to the post offices to arrive days before we got there. Took five months and we had a true blast. We bathed in streams, drank unfiltered water from mountain water sources, and saw under twenty people the whole hike. I'm now 72 and if my knee rehab works this year, I will try to make it a second time next year starting in March. Already started buying gear and truly hope to make one more try. While the AT is easier than the PCT, they are two totally different trails. The PCT has very dangerous sections and mountain passes that will test even 20 somethings. I agree with others that have advised you to watch every you tube vlog on both the PCT and AT. Try looking at "Homemade Wanderlust" with Dixie. She had hiked all three major trails in the US and has put together "start to finish" videos for all three. About 1.5 hrs each. She shows the best and worst of the trails. Could be worth your time and helpful in making your decision. Best of luck if you decide to make the trip...with either trail.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

627 members (12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 10Glocks, 219DW, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,051 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,239
Posts18,447,859
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.