Print Thread
Hop To
L
Lawdwaz Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Bought a Warn VRX 25 S and a Warn 100380 mounting plate off the web for a 2021 Rancher. No directions at all other than a simple wiring schematic for the winch. I had a hell of a time getting the winch mounted but got that squared away this morning.

I emailed them last week about mounting the winch and they sent me back a reply saying they only answer questions over the phone so I called them and they were of no help other than pointing me to a couple lousy youtube video's.

Now I'm looking at the wiring and need some direction on where the contactor should mount. I had a 1999 Foreman and I mounted that contactor in the rear of that machine, under the accessory box. The blue and yellow wires that go to the winch with this kit aren't going to work on the new machine.......

Last edited by Lawdwaz; 02/28/21.
GB2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a 2019 Rancher and used KFI winch, mount plate, wire kit with everything needed except the factory pig tail for wiring to be hooked up for the in/out switch power. Be sure to get it from Honda and get the one that you can have a winch, heated grips and 12v outlet. This way the ignition will have to be turned on for the winch to work. Put the contactor in the rear storage compartment. There is a panel that separates it from the battery. I ran the wires down the right side along the wire harness and it keeps it away from the exhaust. I think you can go to KFI and view the manuals on how to wire, but I used the book that came with it. KFI stuff fits and even the wiring was precut to perfect length. Only things extra I needed besides the Honda pigtail was some connectors and shrink tube so I didn't us a scotchlock for the power to switched power for the winch in/out control.

A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Bowlseye
I have a 2019 Rancher and used KFI winch, mount plate, wire kit with everything needed except the factory pig tail for wiring to be hooked up for the in/out switch power. Be sure to get it from Honda and get the one that you can have a winch, heated grips and 12v outlet. This way the ignition will have to be turned on for the winch to work. Put the contactor in the rear storage compartment. There is a panel that separates it from the battery. I ran the wires down the right side along the wire harness and it keeps it away from the exhaust. I think you can go to KFI and view the manuals on how to wire, but I used the book that came with it. KFI stuff fits and even the wiring was precut to perfect length. Only things extra I needed besides the Honda pigtail was some connectors and shrink tube so I didn't us a scotchlock for the power to switched power for the winch in/out control.

Thank you for the reply.........I have some issues that have kept me from digging further into this ordeal. I'm having trouble confirming which pigtail I need but will dig into it this weekend I hope.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Are you saying yellow/blue wires aren't long enough to run from that rear location up to the winch up front? While not a rancher, I ran the yellow/blue wires from underseat to under the front hood where solenoid was mounted on my 700 pioneer, then the shorter battery cables down to the winch. They were all the same gauge though. I had more than enough length in the yellow/blue wires. Cant imagine the run on the atv would be any further. The solenoid doesnt care what color the wires are.

Last edited by killerv; 03/09/21.
L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The yellow and blue wires were the shorter pair, yes. I mounted the contactor on the right side of the machine just inside where your right knee would be behind the big plastic removable shroud. The problem is that the winch motor posts are on the left side of the machine with this mounting plate and consequently the engage/disengage lever is on the right side of the machine. The distance the wires has to travel is longer than if it was flipped the "correct" way.

Yes, I could have swapped the longer red & black pair of wires for the other two and made the trip but I found a suitable mounting spot for the contactor and all seems good. My time is short lately so I've been working on it when I have a chance. Today I routed the red and black wires to the battery box and started putting the plastic back on. I'm waiting on the Honda OEM pigtail and should be up and winching this weekend.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Ended up sending the OEM pigtail back, just found the proper wire (gray & white IIRC) that was hot only with the ignition on and she's up and running just fine.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
453 members (160user, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 320090T, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,185 guests, and 938 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.