Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Where the hack are they all at?

Bought a Traditions 50 caliber Hawken and I found everything BUT caps. Nowhere to be found, at least around Cheyenne and the nearby areas. POOP!!!!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You'll have to go online and get screwed with a Hazmat fee.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Fotis
Where the hack are they all at?

Bought a Traditions 50 caliber Hawken and I found everything BUT caps. Nowhere to be found, at least around Cheyenne and the nearby areas. POOP!!!!

I bought a case of them back in 2019. Still have most of it. Lots of #10, too. You have to anticipate shortages these days. We're becoming more and more like the old Soviet Union that we in America used to make fun of for their chronically empty store shelves and long lines for purchasing toilet paper one roll at a time, the natural outgrowths of centrally planned economies and fiat currencies.

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter

Do not mind that but I refuse to pay gunbroker prices. 250 for 1k? No thanks.

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got any 209s? I just sold an adapter that lets you use those on a sidelock. It’s called a Mag Spark. About $45 with a spare cap, direct. You have to know the thread size of your nipple.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
No I do not...

μολὼν λαβέ

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter

Do not mind that but I refuse to pay gunbroker prices. 250 for 1k? No thanks.

I'll send you a link.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 03/22/21.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thank you!

μολὼν λαβέ

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Really glad my Hawken shoots very good to 100 using a antler full of powder and a .015 patch on a .570 roundball. May not get shot much this year as I had no idea folks decided to grab all the #10 primers as well lol.

Share Hawkeye's sentiment and will grab a lifetime supply once it comes back, if it comes back. The more gov grows, the harder maintaining supply chains gets it appears.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Hey Fotis,

Did you find what you needed? I still got a bunch of caps and some black powder (I think it is all FFFg though) from when I had black powder guns. I just live over the "hill" from you and would be happy to sell them for pre-panic prices or trade. As far as trade goods the only thing I know I am missing that I would like to have for trade would be CCI .22 LR semi-auto quiet ammo.

Scott

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I'm going to need some #11 caps myself, I think I have some, if I didn't give them away! Hard to keep everything anymore.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
A few years ago I ran out and there were none anywhere. Called CCI they told me they run a batch or two a year and were about to make some. I looked until some showed up at the local farm coop. They had 10 tins. I bought 5.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I need some also, I looked thru my muzzleloading can and found a tin of cci #11, so I'm good for now!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I am going to make my own. I started experimenting . Here is how far I got. I took a .22lr empty case. They are all over the gun range. I grind it down to about 3/8" of an inch. I decided to put a small rifle primer in it and see if it fired. it fired just fine. Now, I know I still need a primer. However, I am going to try getting some roll caps that are made in Germany. they are the better ones. They are about 1/10 cent each and I heard you need about 4 of them . I will try to put 2 in at first to see if it works. i heard the paper burns clean and does no clog up the nipple. I think you can cut out the cap and just put in a few powder of 2 caps . Then just take Duco glue and glue it in. Duco glue is nigrogycerine glue and very flamable . However , it is very sticky so it is to be thinned out with 4 parts acestone and 1 part glue. it is very thin at that time and the smallest of a drop will cover the caps, and also make it water proof. The down side is the 22 lr is loose. It wont be good for hunting but so far every shot from my muzzleloader have been practice , except for one shot in 2007. I will experiment further with a home made #11 cap maker if I can find a way to make one. So far I have not tried it on a muzzleloader. There is more than one way to skin a cat and the high prices being charged may come back to bite them. I hope it does. I make my own patches and roundballs and soon will likely make my primers. If I can make black powder I will not need much of anything for muzzleloading.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I tried the caps. They are the junky ones and so far have not worked at all.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I can make black powder I will not need much of anything for muzzleloading.quote
if the yoyo's on youtube can make blackpowder anybody can.
have made it on and off for 60 years.

Last edited by deerstalker; 03/29/21.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
No I do not...

CVA and Tradition are 6.1
Lyman is 6.75
Thompson/Center is 1/4- 28
Muskets can vary

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by deerstalker
If I can make black powder I will not need much of anything for muzzleloading.quote

Make certain your insurance premiums are up to date!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Originally Posted by deerstalker

Make certain your insurance premiums are up to date!!

ain't a policy in the country would cover you if something went wrong. the key is to not have anything go wrong. no "here hold my beer, ima going to make ome black powder" grin

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Glad you GOT THE POINT!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (6mmCreedmoor, 338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 15 invisible), 1,180 guests, and 835 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,227
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.