Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Kenneth

Why the hostility and quotation marks when you say resident?

MAGA
GB1

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That is the reason that I purchased a Lifetime Idaho Hunting License. If I apply to participate in a drawing as a non-resident, I would be placed in the resident tag pool. The gal at the fish cop shop that sold me my lifetime license twenty years ago, told me that I would no doubt be right about the tag allocations in the future. But she also bet that I wouldn’t come back from Montana to hunt in Idaho. Unfortunately, she was right-I have never used my Lifetime License.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Judman
I don’t mind the price increase so much, the quota cut sucks though, especially since it’s been in place for 14 year and folks like me have been buying points for that long. Pard and I are applying for antelope in hopes of spending 14 points, think our unit is 70% draw odds with max/special license. Hopefully they just cut the bison, sheep, goat and moose to 10% and leave the rest the same.

I’ve got the same points going into the antelope draw for this year. Might see you in the same unit.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You don’t want anything to do with hunting/conservation on a ballot IMO.

Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I believe in states rights, put it on a ballot and let the states residents decide the out come. Hunting has been a rich mans game since the Pittman Robertson act. My thinking is if, you don't like it go somewhere else, become as resident or buy enough land to get landowner tags. Sad truth is money talks and BS walks.

Last edited by SLM; 03/09/21.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SLM

I believe in states rights, put it on a ballot and let the states residents decide the out come. Hunting has been a rich mans game since the Pittman Robertson act. My thinking is if, you don't like it go somewhere else, become as resident or buy enough land to get landowner tags. Sad truth is money talks and BS walks.

That’s a fact brother SLM, we saw how that went in 96’, our bobcat, lion, and bear with dogs went bye bye...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM

+2

Too many uninformed folks having a say in something they know nothing about. Very bad for the resource, be it renewable or not.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I plan to go Bird hunting with my buddy in Montana this year and I was hoping to be able to hunt whitetail or mule deer as well but not sure that will happen, although I have a lot more research to do. Judman is kinda selling me on Washington though. Hear it’s hard hunting out there which sounds even better. I’m only 26 and haven’t a lot of knowledge and no experience hunting out west so I gotta ask. What’s the point behind a point system? Instead of just a lottery where everyone has the same chance year after year?

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Model70Fan
I’m only 26 and haven’t a lot of knowledge and no experience hunting out west so I gotta ask. What’s the point behind a point system? Instead of just a lottery where everyone has the same chance year after year?

It allows those of us who hunt every year to continue that trend, my group are not casual hunters and we buy points, in multiple states annually so that we seldom run out of opportunities. We have learned how and when we can draw. Like many here , hunting is not a weekend excursion, to see the great outdoors. It's a way of life, we are very serious and travel thousands of miles annually just to hunt. The point system allows the "dedicated" a better opportunity over the casual hunter, some of who may not even show up, after drawing a tag. Many units take decades to draw, and if you keep at it you will be rewarded, not lose your opportunity to someone who thinks it might be a fun weekend.

Last edited by elkmen1; 03/10/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Did this legislative initiative die out? I heard from a reliable source that it did.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have 7 points for Antelope, but if they don't want me my money and I will go else where!

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Texans may flood the Colorado woods, but Californians (at least those from N Cali) flood the Idaho elk fields, as Idaho has some unlimited NR areas. Washington folks flood north Idaho in the same manner. Vehicles and campers in every wide spot. It is not just Colorado that has the issue.

The best thing I ever did before leaving Idaho was buy a lifetime license, so my name is in the pool with the residents. That, and being 60% VA disabled, I get dirt cheap NR licenses there.

Am I part of the problem? Probably but it is what it is.

Last season in SE Idaho I bumped into 4 guys from Mississippi. They said it was their 4th straight year hunting the area. 'Course that was just before I met the father & son from Illinois out on their 1st trip...

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Judman
Dunno what the rest of you guys pay in your home states...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Plus we have the option of a second bear and cougar tag... freshwater, saltwater fishing extra, as is shrimp, clam, crab, ducks, pheasant etc...

Not so bad, NR tags costing ten times as much as resident tags. When I lived in Washington I knew many that hunted without a license and typically used 22 rifles. The welfare check only went so far.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here’s Colorado’s feeble attempt to do something similar to Wyoming, except Colorado wants to limit non-residents to ONLY 30% tag allocation in the draws!

https://leg.colorado.gov/bills/sb21-150

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (257 mag, 160user, 300_savage, 222Sako, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,544 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,115
Posts18,464,519
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.