-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've enjoyed reading his material for years, as it is inexpensive and easily found. Hell, even Haggard's Quartermain is interesting, and it's entirely fiction. Since retirement about 12 years back, I've taken to shaking out and purchasing works by Harris, Cummings, Bell, Selous, Oswell, Akeley, Burchell, Bull, Patterson, Ruark, Corbett, the Johnsons and many lesser known writers with many going back into the 1830's. Such can get expensive as many of those works are mostly found in Europe.

Half the adventure back then was simply getting there with a need to endure months at sea and walking across the continents since motor craft were yet to be invented. Interesting to note too that many considered Africa pretty well shot out by the 1870's. Things were even worse after rinderpest made its pass through the continent in the late 1800's. It's obvious now that Capstick borrowed heavily from others experiences, but to his credit, he brought material to light that most would never make the effort to find.

Other early books by explorers, seafaring captains, etc are also fascinating reads occupying several shelves as well. It is truly incredible what a goal oriented human spirit can endure.

I pray when I buy the farm, the kid doesn't simply lob my bookshelves into a dumpster.

Last edited by 1minute; 03/21/21.

1Minute
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I never knew quite what to think of Capstick hosing a troop of baboons in a palm grove with a MAC-10. He certainly wrote fondly of it!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GrouseChaser:

Given most of us will never live in Africa, there is a very deep seated and sincere hatred for baboons. Fascinating animals, but they will exploit near any advantage to the point of stalking and attacking humans.

Readings suggest the silverback gorillas are one of the most terrifying animals one can ever encounter, but there's essentially no evidence they ever attacked a person in the wild.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser
I never knew quite what to think of Capstick hosing a troop of baboons in a palm grove with a MAC-10. He certainly wrote fondly of it!

if a pack of dogs,coyotes,wolves etc attacked and killed someone you knew or even one of your pets, would you not "hose" them out of existence? i know i would in a heart beat.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think the writer's from my youth were far and away better writer's than those around today. Back then it was stories, today, well last I'd read the junk, it's all about commitment to some company selling guns, ammo and equipment. The good old days are gone! No more story teller's. Last good one I read was Jim Carmichael when he first took over for O'Conner but he also changed and could not or simply didn't tell story's any more.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
it's all about commitment to some company

I think one is pretty much right on there.

Yeh though I walk through the valley of death, I will fear no evil, for thy Remington 700 in 338 Lapua carrying a Nighforce 6-18X scope launching a 220 grain Nosler partition ahead of 87 grains of IMR 4895 ignited by a Federal 250 large rifle primer and pushed through a Shaw competition barrel is with me. Today's videos with commercials, lists of sponsors, patches, and product placements are essentially 20+ minutes of commercials in a 30 minute show. Our published rags exhibit about the same level of substance.

1Minute
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Saddest for me is the fact that today's magazines are nothing like what they used to be. I used to wait impatiently for each month's issue of Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, and Sports Afield to read the stories of adventures that I could only dream about. Sports Afield seems to be trying to bring that back, but the rest are nothing but advertisements.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I never knew that Capstick had been in the Military. Did he ever write of his experiences during his Service ?

"not too grumpy"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deerstalker
Originally Posted by GrouseChaser

if a pack of dogs,coyotes,wolves etc attacked and killed someone you knew or even one of your pets, would you not "hose" them out of existence? i know i would in a heart beat.

He even made sure he left enough of them alive to restart the colony somewhere else.

Sounds quite considerate to me.

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by oldwoody2
I never knew that Capstick had been in the Military. Did he ever write of his experiences during his Service ?

I never read that PHC was in the military, much less that he was a U.S. Army Special Forces officers. He was born in 1940, so he would have graduated from college around 1962. If he didn't receive a commission through ROTC, he would have had to spend three or four years to cover his enlisted basic training, OCS, Infantry Officer Basic, Special Forces school, and then the time necessary to complete his obligation. That wouldn't have left him much time to become much of a stock broker before he quit Wall Street. Maybe somebody with better GOOGLE FOO skills than me could find his military dates of service, but the time line seems a little fishy to me.

IC B3

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by oldwoody2

I've never read that he was and I've read most of his books.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I well remember when he died. He was supposed to give the keynote speech at the closing night banquet at the SCI convention in Reno. I had tickets because I wanted to hear him speak. He fell ill that afternoon and his wife took over for him and gave the address. A few days later he was flown to RSA for treatment. The rest is history.. RIP...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by BulletBud
As much as I like Capstick, a lot of what he wrote proved to be more fiction than fact..

Prove it.

Somebody posted on this site some years ago that he knew the PH that PHC cited in a story about culling cape buffalo and when asked about it, the PH who was with PHC said that PHC took some liberties with it to make it a better story. IIRC, that PH also claimed that PHC borrowed adventures that other PHs had and claimed them as his own.

I have no direct knowledge about whether PHC wrote the stories as they happened to him, or if he took artistic license to make them more exciting stories, or if he borrowed stories from other PHs and claimed them as his own. Regardless of how much is true, how much is exaggerated, or how much is borrowed, they are still good stories. Besides, the guy has been dead for over 25 years and dead men tell no tales.

I knew Peter, and have written about here. There are a few others here that met him, knew him or interacted with him.

For anyone who wants to insinuate Peter plagiarized stories without giving credit never read his works carefully. Peter fully disclosed those stories that were 1.) narratives of events that he was not a part of and 2.) those that occurred to him. “The Killer Baboons of Vlackfontein.” happened to him as did "Mamba Means Death". His stories of about being a cropping and game control officer in Zambia were true. He published photos of his licenses and passports.

Peter never claimed to be the world's greatest PH, but just a lucky guy that got to live out his greatest dreams. He made no secret that he embellished stories to jazz them up. It worked! We read them! There is no doubt that when he first apprenticed with Geoff Broom in Rhodesia (sic) that he was as green as you could be in Africa. He talks about this somewhat in his book "Safari - The Last Adventure" Said chances of becoming an African PH for an American that did not grow up in the country, with the people, speaking the multiple languages, being in the bush from or ranch from birth is nearly an impossible feat.

So I'll leave it right there for now. I liked Peter, and he was very kind and generous to me with his time and were friendly for a time until he passed. Hater will be along shortly to bash him. C'est la guerre!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jdollar
I well remember when he died. He was supposed to give the keynote speech at the closing night banquet at the SCI convention in Reno. I had tickets because I wanted to hear him speak. He fell ill that afternoon and his wife took over for him and gave the address. A few days later he was flown to RSA for treatment. The rest is history.. RIP...

I was at that one too.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great post, Jeff.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
I agree. I'll never make it to Africa but he made me want to do it. I've always found it "strange" that all of his detractors never came around until way after his death. He was well known and got his start with Winchester, so people knew about him. I liked his one story in Death In The Long Grass where his client said it was his first lion/leopard. Capstick was new at the time and thought "it's my first one, too". He was very self effacing.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I agree. I'll never make it to Africa but he made me want to do it. I've always found it "strange" that all of his detractors never came around until way after his death. He was well known and got his start with Winchester, so people knew about him. I liked his one story in Death In The Long Grass where his client said it was his first lion/leopard. Capstick was new at the time and thought "it's my first one, too". He was very self effacing.

Maybe because internet sites like this exist 25 years ago?

Since people that knew him have noted that he acknowledged that he embellished his stories, "jazzing" them up to make them better stories, I'll take their word for it.

The Tink Nathan obituary that started this thread cites his military service in Vietnam as a Special Forces officer. Given the timeline, it seems fishy to me. If PHC did claim military service that never happened, I would consider that an excessive embellishment.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Maybe because internet sites like this exist 25 years ago?

Since people that knew him have noted that he acknowledged that he embellished his stories, "jazzing" them up to make them better stories, I'll take their word for it.

The Tink Nathan obituary that started this thread cites his military service in Vietnam as a Special Forces officer. Given the timeline, it seems fishy to me. If PHC did claim military service that never happened, I would consider that an excessive embellishment.

1. Like I said, I've never read where he claimed military service so maybe the obituary writer mixed it up.
2. Many of his stories first appeared in Guns & Ammo, back when everyone read it. So he was well known well before his death.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I stand corrected. Ruark was 49 when he died of cirrhosis

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by BulletBud
As much as I like Capstick, a lot of what he wrote proved to be more fiction than fact..

Prove it.

Somebody posted on this site some years ago that he knew the PH that PHC cited in a story about culling cape buffalo and when asked about it, the PH who was with PHC said that PHC took some liberties with it to make it a better story. IIRC, that PH also claimed that PHC borrowed adventures that other PHs had and claimed them as his own.

I have no direct knowledge about whether PHC wrote the stories as they happened to him, or if he took artistic license to make them more exciting stories, or if he borrowed stories from other PHs and claimed them as his own. Regardless of how much is true, how much is exaggerated, or how much is borrowed, they are still good stories. Besides, the guy has been dead for over 25 years and dead men tell no tales.

I knew Peter, and have written about here. There are a few others here that met him, knew him or interacted with him.

For anyone who wants to insinuate Peter plagiarized stories without giving credit never read his works carefully. Peter fully disclosed those stories that were 1.) narratives of events that he was not a part of and 2.) those that occurred to him. “The Killer Baboons of Vlackfontein.” happened to him as did "Mamba Means Death". His stories of about being a cropping and game control officer in Zambia were true. He published photos of his licenses and passports.

Peter never claimed to be the world's greatest PH, but just a lucky guy that got to live out his greatest dreams. He made no secret that he embellished stories to jazz them up. It worked! We read them! There is no doubt that when he first apprenticed with Geoff Broom in Rhodesia (sic) that he was as green as you could be in Africa. He talks about this somewhat in his book "Safari - The Last Adventure" Said chances of becoming an African PH for an American that did not grow up in the country, with the people, speaking the multiple languages, being in the bush from or ranch from birth is nearly an impossible feat.

So I'll leave it right there for now. I liked Peter, and he was very kind and generous to me with his time and were friendly for a time until he passed. Hater will be along shortly to bash him. C'est la guerre!

I don't hate PHC. I don't think that I bashed him, I just repeated what I've read on this site and clearly stated that I had no direct knowledge of him or the background of the stories that he wrote. I never read about him being a Special Forces officer in Vietnam and the timeline seems too tight to be true, but that is what I think, not what I know. Given that he embellished his stories, maybe that was just another embellishment. Besides, its all moot, since PHC has been dead for over a quarter century.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (444Matt, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 21 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,182
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.