Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wrapids
Originally Posted by roundoak
Rick Young bino straps work good in open country, but when you encounter brushy terrain they snag easily. I busted up two pair charging thru brush, before I wised up.

In that situation, maybe keep the outer layer open a bit and drop the binos inside.

Hmmmmmm, this suggests you never went thru thickets very much with the straps. laugh

Last edited by roundoak; 01/01/21.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
The pouch for my 8x25 binos clips on to the molle loops of my Hill People Gear Recon chest pack which also carrys my Glock, wallet,,keys tags etc in comfort. It is worn all day when in the hills and is usable w/ any combination of jackets and packs. One of my favorite pieces of gear.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by lvmiker
The pouch for my 8x25 binos clips on to the molle loops of my Hill People Gear Recon chest pack which also carrys my Glock, wallet,,keys tags etc in comfort. It is worn all day when in the hills and is usable w/ any combination of jackets and packs. One of my favorite pieces of gear.

mike r

Any chance of a picture or link Mike?

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by huntsman22
jstuart, I added buckles to my shoulder straps so I could do just that. I have a marsupial and a AGC, both set up to hang on the pack. I just unsnap the harness and stuff it in the pack so I have it if I want to dump the pack. I don't have to use the sternum strap with the marsupial, but have to use it under the AGC as it is wider....

That I like.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Frayser
Just a reminder...

If you get a chest rig, you’ll have to start saying you ‘run’ it instead of ‘use’ it.

In a forum open to civilians, quotations around a term utilizing tactical gear are entirely purposeful and appropriate.

On duty, patrol or defending a compound..."run" could be a good choice.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I've tried a LOT of different methods, shoulder harnesses - nylon, elastic straps, with and without pouches etc. All seamed to have about equal pro/con lists. Here is what I've finally settled on for us. Els&Co - Sutherland Bino Sling Granted a little pricey but they are hand made/stitched and very nice. Have them embossed with our names on them. I've got them on our Zeiss 8x30 Classics.

We don't wear them around the neck but, across the shoulders to one side. Takes all the weight off the neck. When the length is adjusted correctly, the binos hang comfortably under the arm, just above the hip. Just grab them with the hand on the same side they're hanging on, and put to your eyes. Taking the weight off generates enough "slack" in the strap, they come to the eyes effortlessly.

I do use solid nylon shoulder harnesses also for our 10x40 Zeiss Classics and two pair of old Zeiss 8x30 B Dialyts also. Which set I (we) decide to take, use depends on the area we're going and if I'm hunting myself or if I'm just backing up friend/clients.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Loving my Kuiu Pro Bino Harness that I bought myself for Christmas. Very comfortable, don't move around or bounce, protective, and easy to detach the binoculars to loan to someone who sadly doesn't have a pair.
My binoculars are Zeiss 8x50's, heavy and large, so got the XL size. My pair is probably the maximum size one could cram into the chest pouch. Lots of other add-ons available too.
Hiked through snow and light rain for a day in Yosemite this past week.
LM

If it weren't for the wonders of electricity, you'd be reading this post by candle light.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Some great suggestions here but I wear too much stuff already with my daypack, range finder in one pocket in my jacket or cargo pants, GPS in another pocket, cell phone hanging around usually in my shirt pocket, etc..... I like the simplicity of just unbuttoning one button on my heavy jacket or shirt, depending on the temp, and grabbing my binos for a look for a minute or two or an hour or two, then putting them back quickly to get up and go if it becomes necessary. Never had any problem with a simple neck strap as long as it fit me properly and had a nice wide padded strap to carry the weight and having them inside my shirt or jacket means they are protected from rain and snow and they won't rattle around against my rifle butt, belt knife sheath, pack waist band or straps, water bottle, or any number of things I have hanging off my pack or clothes as I'm moving through the countryside. Also keeps them from snagging on brush, fences I'm crossing, and other things and easy to take off if I stop for a longer break- unlike the harnesses I've tried...

If nothing else, this thread shows the diversity of hunting styles in this group of hunters and what works for them...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Wrapids
Rick Young bino straps work good in open country, but when you encounter brushy terrain they snag easily. I busted up two pair charging thru brush, before I wised up.

In that situation, maybe keep the outer layer open a bit and drop the binos inside.

Hmmmmmm, this suggests you never went thru thickets very much with the straps. laugh

Nope, not any more, but a machete might be handy.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm trying the Rick Young ones.

They look like they're perfect for at least 80+% of the hunting I do, and I'm already set up for the other stuff.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Got the Rick Young strap in today and tried it out with my normal jacket and hunting gear including backpack. It is a keeper. Wish that I'd ordered it sooner.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
A
A
The Badlands harness is what I have and I like it a lot. Very comfortable and keeps the binos close to my body all the time.

Last edited by akbejeepin; 01/03/21.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

Another recommendation for Rick Young. Versatility and ease of adjustment can't be beat.

Scott
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Dang enablers: I think I am going to get the Rick Young harness and use it in place of my bungee belt. I think I will still keep the Vero Vellini strap on for load distribution, at least initially.

Mostly when I am in thick brush I am following up a deer so usually no need for the binoculars. Other times I just put the binos inside my jacket to reduce snagging.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
Consider a chest bino pouch/pack, they are pretty much in vogue now especially for heavier binos.

Alaskan Guide Creations, Vortex, Kuiu, Mystery Ranch and others make em. Better protection than the bino harness and less fatigue than a neck strap.

Alaskan Guide Creations

Vortex Guide

the Vortex is made my AGC, its just their standard pack with a vortex patch

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by akbejeepin
The Badlands harness is what I have and I like it a lot. Very comfortable and keeps the binos close to my body all the time.
Site said no longer made

O.B.Wallace
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Alaska guides are the best . Call them on the phone and the owner answers !!!! Thats unheard of service . I got a Swaro Pure 8x42 for an anniversary gift and wouldn't take them out without a bino harness . Bought 2 Alaska guides in fact .
Good luck stay healthy !
Soup

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Simple shoulder harness I bought 15+ years ago from Eagle Optics when they were around. Works perfect. Keep it simple.

Last edited by rifletom; 03/22/21.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
For years, I've used the strap that came with my Swarovski EL 10x42s. They're very easy to get into action quickly using the strap. If you notice the weight of a binocular at the end of a twelve-hour day, your binocular is too heavy and/or you need a different method of carrying it. Opinions vary and we all have different needs. I've never seen much need for gadgetry in hunting, but others prefer it. Glad we have the choices.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 160user, 10gaugemag, 67 invisible), 3,056 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,264
Posts18,467,183
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.