-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Starting to poke around for a new vehicle with an eye to a pickup and was lamenting that no one made a plain old regular cab anymore, just four door and "access" cab versions with beds no longer than 7'.

Obviously haven't been paying attention to the truck market for a couple of decades but see that Ford still makes one with a by God full length 8' bed. Have they never stopped making one like that? And what else has been under my radar - does anyone else still make a plain two door model with an 8' bed?

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Certified pre owned???
Dont suffer all the depreciation.
They still make em reg cab.
Order one thru the dealer if ya want a new one.
They do it for certified pre owns also.
They have the contact network among dealers to transfer vehicles.

I ordered a Ranger in 88 from germany thru a dealer to be at grapevine Tx going to ft hood.
Grapevine dealer came and picked me up at the airport.
Drove to Ft Hood.

After Desert storm.
Ordered another Ranger from Jenkins and wynn here in town thru their dealer contacts.
Truck came from arkansas 3 days later.
The next morning was driving to Maine to go on leave.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
If'n I had my druthers I'd resurrect my 1990 XLT Lariat 4x4. That was a great truck and never let me down whether in town or the Idaho back country. When I got it some know it all was telling me about how this is gonna go out first, then that, then before five years were out it'd be half way to the junk yard. 13 years and 130,000 miles later and the only thing that had stopped working was the little light behind the radio dial.

Really like the cargo capacity of the bigger beds and especially getting enough width between the wheel wells to carry an ATV in the bed. I've pulled trailers and that's okay but much rather have the load between the front and rear tires.

Kind of leery about all the new high tech, to me KISS = reliability, but time marches on. A good 2-4 year old truck would be fine with me but it seems like all vehicles are hard to find right now.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Far as I know, the big three all make a single cab pickup...long or short bed. You could probably order anything you want but most of them you find on the car lots probably will be base model work trucks with V6 motors.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Starting to poke around for a new vehicle with an eye to a pickup and was lamenting that no one made a plain old regular cab anymore, just four door and "access" cab versions with beds no longer than 7'.

Obviously haven't been paying attention to the truck market for a couple of decades but see that Ford still makes one with a by God full length 8' bed. Have they never stopped making one like that? And what else has been under my radar - does anyone else still make a plain two door model with an 8' bed?

All of em do, never quit.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ford XL Regular Cab.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I see a couple of new fords go passed my place all the time.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
A ford dealer should be able to see what is on other ford dealers lots

Or make calls....

Even calling ford customer service .
They should be able to answer stuff....
Knowkedge is power when some auto dealers try to bullschitt you on what they can and cant do per corparate policies.

You can bet they will kiss your azz and talk your ear off to buy something similar in their mind on their lot though.....

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I

Yes, the big three still make two door single cab trucks with an eight foot bed. But you can not find them on the lots.

Why would a dealer put a $35-38k truck on his lot? When he can upsell the customer to a $65k truck? You don't want the customer eyeballing the window sticker on that cheap little Work Truck when you are trying to convince him he needs the food door Lincoln Platinum Edition.

Related topic, has anyone noticed the base engine in the new Chevy/GMC 1500?

It is a fugging four banger! But it is rated at 310 hp!

It sounds like a good engine for a Tacoma.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Look on Cargurus.com. You can search across town or across the country.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
They still make them. Try a lot that specializes in selling fleet vehicles and work trucks.
I drive an F150 single cab, 8” bed work truck now. It has the 5.0 liter coyote engine. It gets 22mpg, and is about as fast as any muscle car I’ve driven.

Last edited by gregintenn; 03/22/21.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Boy, you're not kidding. I had to specifically search for "regular cab" to find the other brands, they sure don't feature them on their websites. And speaking of, apparently you need to google "so and so brand specs" to get actual specifications like length, width, stuff like that, since it's almost impossible to find them among the wunderhype about all the wonderful touch screens and preinstalled social medias and luxurious interiors available.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Boy, you're not kidding. I had to specifically search for "regular cab" to find the other brands, they sure don't feature them on their websites. And speaking of, apparently you need to google "so and so brand specs" to get actual specifications like length, width, stuff like that, since it's almost impossible to find them among the wunderhype about all the wonderful touch screens and preinstalled social medias and luxurious interiors available.

Less margin on em'

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Plenty of regular cab lwb trucks to be had if you want one. Ford still produces them with manual winder cranks.

Although the seat is too close to the crank handle to actually be able to use them, but hey. And the seats do recline, but only if your knees are fully inserted under the dash.

Be careful what you're looking at. If you want 4wd in a GM you'll have to specifically order or find one that has a 2-speed transfer case. Otherwise you get the AWD mall crawler single speed.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I know that Ram and GMC have "build your truck" websites where you can spec out a vehicle. You can see the various trim packages (and cost thereof). You can see the available options and upcharge for each.

I would be surprised if such a site was not available for Ford.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (260Remguy, 44automag, 338reddog, 4xbear, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 17 invisible), 1,651 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.