Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Did Washington state in the 70's...Tough trail back then and a lot less crowded before Wild...

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ro1459
Hiked the AT in 1966 when there were no frills. Packs were heavy, no hostels, parents had to send resupplies to the post offices to arrive days before we got there. Took five months and we had a true blast. We bathed in streams, drank unfiltered water from mountain water sources, and saw under twenty people the whole hike. I'm now 72 and if my knee rehab works this year, I will try to make it a second time next year starting in March. Already started buying gear and truly hope to make one more try. While the AT is easier than the PCT, they are two totally different trails. The PCT has very dangerous sections and mountain passes that will test even 20 somethings. I agree with others that have advised you to watch every you tube vlog on both the PCT and AT. Try looking at "Homemade Wanderlust" with Dixie. She had hiked all three major trails in the US and has put together "start to finish" videos for all three. About 1.5 hrs each. She shows the best and worst of the trails. Could be worth your time and helpful in making your decision. Best of luck if you decide to make the trip...with either trail.

Watched her PCT video.

Amazing accomplishment!

Have hiked portions of the PCT in Oregon, but mainly in Washington. In 2017 had to cancel a couple of climbs in the North Cascades during periods of intense smoke, but was able to do some trips to Mount Shuksan, Mount Baker and White Horse Mountain.. Was surprised she showed extensive footage of the Sierras, but very little of Oregon and limited terrain in Washington...should have been able to see Mount Jefferson, Washington, Hood, Mount Adams and Rainier on some days as they could still be seen above the smoke.

Disappointed that even with inclement weather in the North Cascades in late summer, one should get glimpses of the Cascade Range which stands out with higher relief mountains than southern portions. Glacier Peak is pretty tall. They went all the way East to Leavenworth and couldn't get footage of the Stuart Range? on a sunny day? Mount Stuart...second largest granite monolith after Gibraltar.

Curious as to how the detour from Cascade Locks (Bridge of the Gods) was accomplished. Over 40 miles one way. Less mileage if they would have gone to Hood River and then across to Bingen and back down Hwy 14.

Pretty good video, especially in the first portion.

The woman is a badass and didn't look too worse for wear IMO.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

185 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 345dl, 1_deuce, 264mag, 28 invisible), 2,681 guests, and 1,011 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,278
Posts18,467,637
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.