Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Rossimp Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Posing somewhat of a hypothetical and excuse the topic if it’s been discussed thoroughly before. Wanted opinions on a home defense situation regarding one shot stopping/disabling perp in home from 10 yards or so. Realize the situation would call for possibly multiple shots however trying to get a better understanding of which provides highest probability of 1 shot rendering the perp and the threat neutralized. Consider both being good hits square in the middle of the upper chest.

Firearms would be 1911 platform for both 45ACP and 9mm Para. Both would be a 4.2” commander based model with both shooting JHP. 45ACP with 230 grain JHP, 9mm being 125-130 grain JHP.

No body armor encounter just a perp in street cloths. Realizing this is subjective would like to hear opinions on one shot stopping power regarding both.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The guy getting shot will never know the difference, choose the pistol you shoot best and go forth with confidence. Caliber isn't anything worth agonizing over, shooting skill and competence at arms is where the focus ought to be.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
+P ammo would likely help for one shot stops. A 12ga with #4 buckshot will give better one shot stops on the average. Either way, be prepared to shoot more than once.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
If you will look at the reported shootings where records of calibers used and distance the BG was shot there is absolutely no difference in calibers or bullet weight. The real reason there are a plethora of calibers is so the shooting public will buy more and more calibers, then have to buy more and more ammo and components to reload with if one is a reloader to keep the firearms, ammo companies and component manufacturers well supplied with the shooters hard earned money.
Across the average room giving a thug a skull full of 22 RF will be enough.
Don't buy into the caliber wars between the population who has no clue.
Whether you choose a 22 RF or 9MM, 40 S&W, 45 Auto or 40 gr or 115 gr or 165 gr or 230 grain there won't be a difference.
I practice on a regular basis with a Ruger MK II Government 22RF for home use.
Don't buy into the hype of caliber versus caliber.

I AM THE GOOD FRIEND OF RENEGADE50.
HE MENTORS ME.
HE PUNISHES ME WHEN I AM WRONG.
HE CALLS ME OUT WHEN I AM LYING.
HE CARES GREATLY ABOUT ME.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
A larger hole is never a bad thing, and I have yet to see a bigger hole cause less damage to someone.

I have also yet to see someone shoot a heavier recoiling firearm better than a lighter one. Precise placement is more important than than a a slightly larger bullet. Choose the one you can shoot the best, quickly.

Try what is called "The" test by Ken Hackathorn.

The 10-10-10 shooting drill.

Grab a a B8 center bullseye target.

The drill is 10 rounds, at 10 yards in 10 seconds.

Start from the low ready, or holster (does not really matter, just make it the same).

Max score is 100.

See how you do.

Run the drill 5 or so times with each gun, side by side and compare.

Whichever gun you shoot best, there is your answer.

It is a very good way to see where you are at performance wise.

I used to start my guys out every time I went to the range with this.

We started cold with this drill, and it was a very good indicator as to how they could perform with no warm up.

This would be a better objective answer to your inquiry rather than just random opinions, as far as I am concerned.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Mackay,
Does the 10-10-10 drill include a reload or is it strictly a shooting drill? The reason that I ask is because most 1911's in 45 ACP have 7 or 8 round magazines and generally require a reload for 10 shots. High capacity 45's, 9mm's and 40 S&W's don't require a reload. I agree that it is a great drill to test skill level.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Great advice, I could use some range time with handguns. My concentration in firearms is all hunting. Own quite a few long guns and upland and waterfowl shotguns. I do have a Ruger 44 Rem Mag 50th Anniversary New Model Blackhawk (Flattop Reissue Version), also S&W Model 60 Chiefs Special. I CC the Smith so I’m fine with that. Just wanted something for home that gave me more firepower on a faster handling and reloading platform. Something for the nightstand a bit more authoritative than the 38 Special. The 44 Mag is a consideration, but honestly it is my deer hunting revolver and would suffice, but with 6.5 inch barrel and weighing almost 4lbs and being SA, recoil and follow up shots would not be optimal in my opinion.

I like the 1911 SA platform regarding ergos and safeties. Will probably end up with the 45 ACP, but really like the 9mm x19 and 38 Super Auto on that platform as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't count on a one shot stop from any handgun - period. One shot stops come from shotguns and rifles and even that is not guaranteed. Plan accordingly.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by ar15a292f
Mackay,
Does the 10-10-10 drill include a reload or is it strictly a shooting drill? The reason that I ask is because most 1911's in 45 ACP have 7 or 8 round magazines and generally require a reload for 10 shots. High capacity 45's, 9mm's and 40 S&W's don't require a reload. I agree that it is a great drill to test skill level.

Nope, just 10 rounds.

You can use a 10 round mag if you like. When I use a 1911, I use my Wilson 10 rounders.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
If it's for home defense, I'd forget about the 1911 and save some money and get whichever plastic hicap you like best--Glock, S&W M&P, Springfield XD, Walther, H&K VP9, etc. They don't have to be "broken in". They still work if they get a little dry. You don't have to worry about a safety if you've just woken up and are groggy.

Last edited by UPhiker; 03/24/21.
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
In terms of one shot stops, consider this.

Lots of people are dropped with one shot. Or two.

What 99.9% of the inexperienced public don't realize is that just because you shoot someone, it does not mean that you are going to get an instantaneous reaction. It will likely take a bit. By the time you see the physiological reaction from the first shot, you may have put 5, 6 or 8 more into the guy, or guys. They may also have not stopped doing what they were doing that caused you to shoot them in the first place. You may take some hits in the mean time. Or get stabbed. Or hit by a hammer.

It takes a bit to see a reaction. Quite often you have to hammer people, unless you get lucky and get an CNS hit that flips a switch.

That is the reality.

This nonsense that you are going to calmly take your J Frame and place one round perfectly into the shirt button of a bad guy, , then calmly do the same to the next is just that. Nonsense.

It can be more like the all out knock down drag out event that happens when a football gets loose on the snap.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To @UPHiker’s point,

When the police take my $500 Glock for evidence, I’ll be rearmed with a similar $500 Glock in minutes.

I have a guy who is a retired LEO who had some former “clients” break into his house and he shot them with his $3,200 Ed brown 1911.

They still have his gun in the evidence locker.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Trying to predict what will happen in a lethal struggle seems futile to me.

Prepare the best you think you can with what you have and hope its all academic.

Handguns are a compromise for when long guns aren't practical or at hand. They don't excell at consistent one shot stops.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Handgun "Stopping Power" in the various service calibers is a myth. Short of the perfect CNS hit the bad guy is likely to still be functional for a bit after taking even some center mass hits. Ive seen people with multiple "10 ring" hits from handguns still be conscious and functional, even after massive blood loss. Not too long ago while working an urban EMS shift I treated and transported a guy who was fully awake, talking and STRUGGLING with me after 7 upper torso hits from a .40 S&W, who I found laying on the floor in a room looking like a literal bloodbath. My initial treatments included placement of an occlusive dressing on an obvious sucking chest wound from a shot that penetrated his right lung. I have NO doubt in my mind that had he been armed, this guy would have been capable of using a firearm even with the wounds he had!

I prefer to use something other then a handgun for home defense, but I also keep a Glock 17 with 17+1 HSTs,that I train with extensively, on my nightstand. My hope is that I can overcome the disadvantages of the use of a handgun round by being able to rapidly place up to 18 shots on target.

Last edited by marktheshark; 03/24/21.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rossimp
Posing somewhat of a hypothetical and excuse the topic if it’s been discussed thoroughly before. Wanted opinions on a home defense situation regarding one shot stopping/disabling perp in home from 10 yards or so. Realize the situation would call for possibly multiple shots however trying to get a better understanding of which provides highest probability of 1 shot rendering the perp and the threat neutralized. Consider both being good hits square in the middle of the upper chest.

Firearms would be 1911 platform for both 45ACP and 9mm Para. Both would be a 4.2” commander based model with both shooting JHP. 45ACP with 230 grain JHP, 9mm being 125-130 grain JHP.

No body armor encounter just a perp in street cloths. Realizing this is subjective would like to hear opinions on one shot stopping power regarding both.

Be advised that currently, if you listed the only two pistols you own, the caliber you use may be dependent on what you can get as opposed to what you want. This as applied to both platform and ammunition.

Ammunition has changed a lot in the past twenty years. During the dark days of the previous AWB, when sales of newly manufactured detachable mags of over ten rounds was prohibited by law, many went back to the 45 ACP from the generally higher cap 9's due to the thinking that the 45 was a better stopper and now the firepower advantage of the 9 was no longer there.

Sending you a PM.

FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GunGeek
The guy getting shot will never know the difference, choose the pistol you shoot best and go forth with confidence. Caliber isn't anything worth agonizing over, shooting skill and competence at arms is where the focus ought to be.

So true!!

R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the info. I did speak to BPS counter this morning and they indicated a large selection of Ruger, Kimber and Glocks in stock. I’ll be checking it out tomorrow. Also have local gun shop with some fine long guns and assorted pistols and revolvers. I inquired about a CZ 75 B. They’re expecting a shipment in a week said importing from COVID19 ridden Europe was a cause of lack of production and import as well as Biden Admin making it more difficult to import in a timely manner. The shop did have a few CZ Models in stock. Thanks again for the input.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That’s a hard question to answer for me. I guess it would all come down to time as to which room I am in. Bed stand is a 1911 with 230 grain gold dots. Front room is a GP100 4” with 158 XTP or a 20 gauge w/00. Kitchen/dining room could be a G26 W/124 grain HP or 12 gauge w/00. Chitter is a PPK, TV room whatever I had decided to carry around the house that day or the AR.

Swifty
FWP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the info. I did speak to BPS counter this morning and they indicated a large selection of Ruger, Kimber and Glocks in stock. .

Rugers are robust but can have problems. Kimbers are nice but can be finicky. Glocks are reliable, parts available and have proven themselves being used by thousands of police departments and Federal agencies. The Glock is also simple to use and maintain.

The CZ is an exceptional weapon but not popular outside of certain circles.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I wouldn’t be worrying myself too much about the difference in one-shot stopping-power between the two chamberings at this moment. Either will serve you adequately for home defense.

If a CZ 75 is, or is about to become, available to you for purchase, I would strongly advise purchasing it NOW. Along with a couple 18 rd mags for it. Thank me later.

Ammo for it will be another story entirely.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 38 invisible), 1,988 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,746
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.