Hop To
Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Hey Guys,

I need a beater pair of glasses for leaving on the kitchen table or perhaps in my truck. What do you think of the monarch 5 8x42? Is the Monarch 7 worth the upgrade?

My main glasses are Tract and the MeoStar so I'm not expecting that level...just need something pretty decent and cheap.

Anything else around the sub 3 mark that's better?

GOD Bless America
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Have you considered the Athlon Cronus 8.5x42's?

E2ES System- Edge 2 Edge Sharpness system: E2ES System is a field flattening system that produces sharper, clearer images all the way from one lens edge to the other
ED Glass- High definition glass: ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes
ESP Dielectric Coating- Enhanced Spectral Prism Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
Lightweight Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 35%
XPL Coating- Xtra Protective Layer coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
Phase Corrected prisms: Phase corrected prisms produce images that have better contrast, a higher resolution and better color reproduction
BaK4 prisms: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
Advanced FMC: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
Locking Diopter: Locking Diopter keeps the diopter adjustment knob from accidentally moving from the optimal setting
Long Eye Relief: Long eye relief can be particularly important for eyeglass wearers because longer eye relief allows them to still see the entire field of view.
Close Focus: Close focus is important for those who are nature observers and especially important if you are going to watch butterflies or insects
Twist Up Eyecups: Twist up eyecups with intermediate stops allow you to set the eyecups to the ideal eye relief for you eyes
Waterproof: Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidentally submerged underwater
Argon Purged: Argon purging gives you better waterproofing and thermal stability
Power 8X
Objective Lens Diameter 42 mm
Eye Relief 22 mm
Field Of View Angular 7.6°
Field Of View FT @1000 YARDS 399 ft
Field Of View M @1000 METERS 133 m
Close Focus 2 m /6.6 ft
Interpupillary Distance 56 mm-73 mm
Weight 33 oz

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I can’t comment on the 5s but the 7s are nice!

I bought the 7s and the Toric, kept the 7s and sent the torics back.

Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
What do you think Doug? How is the Athlon better on real use? Not arguing...just not familiar with the Athlon.

Wesley2...huge compliment there. The Tract is the finest glass I’ve ever used regardless of cost and I’ve owned some aloha glass. How was it better in your experience?

GOD Bless America
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Quak
Hey Guys,

I need a beater pair of glasses for leaving on the kitchen table or perhaps in my truck. What do you think of the monarch 5 8x42? Is the Monarch 7 worth the upgrade?

My main glasses are Tract and the MeoStar so I'm not expecting that level...just need something pretty decent and cheap.

Anything else around the sub 3 mark that's better?

I like you Signature line, "GOD Bless America" so pass on the China glass

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve got the monarch 3s and tracts like you.
For truck binocs. Can’t beat it

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
What do you think Doug? How is the Athlon better on real use? Not arguing...just not familiar with the Athlon.

Wesley2...huge compliment there. The Tract is the finest glass I’ve ever used regardless of cost and I’ve owned some aloha glass. How was it better in your experience?

Can’t say the 7s were “better” but they certainly weren’t lacking in any area and they seem to fit my face better than the Torics did.

I simply kept the 7s b/c I felt they were as good as the Toric and I picked them up used for $325. I really wanted the Toric to put them to shame so I could justify keeping them but it just didn’t happen.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I happen to think that the Cronus 8.5x42 is an excellent binocular and at the sale price of $299.99 there's really nothing that great at that price point. The only "downside" is the 33 ounce weight, however, the 22mm ER is awesome

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
Q
Quak Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Q
Weight is not an issue for me...any idea on where these guys are made? Ive been looking at the Optika as well as its not far off price wise.

GOD Bless America
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had the Monarch 5 8x42 and it offers a nice bright view. I gave to a friend, I also have the Monarch 7 10x42, and they are a step up,

The M5 has a bit narrower field of view, but the image is very good. Both are good choices.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Just to clairify, where are the Nikon Monarch 7 (China?) manufactured as well as the Burris Signatures (Japan?). Thanks...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Farmboy1
I had the Monarch 5 8x42 and it offers a nice bright view. I gave to a friend, I also have the Monarch 7 10x42, and they are a step up,

The M5 has a bit narrower field of view, but the image is very good. Both are good choices.

Both are made in China

https://www.birdforum.net/threads/differences-monarch-5-7-and-hg-models.322459/

Last edited by 338rcm; 03/25/21.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Burris Signature HD is a high quality Japanese made binocular

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The 7 is worth the upgrade. It's a nice, proven pair of binos. 330ft vs 420ft isn't even a comparison. Will you be happy with the fov of the Monarch 5? I think the Optika and Athlon Midas would be worth a look for less. The Midas is a bargain and similar in size/weight

Last edited by TxHunter80; 03/25/21.
G
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
G
I picked up a pair of Hawk Frontier HD X 8x32 for my truck. The brightness and contrast were amazing for the price point. I run swaro el 10x42 and while they aren't in the same ball park I was stunned at how far mid priced binos have come.

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Bushnell made the Legend M binoculars and they can still be found for good prices used occasionally, sometimes even new old stock. I liked them better than my Monarch 5’s and the Monarchs went down the road.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1minute, 270wsmnutt, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 007FJ, 63 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,209
Posts18,466,141
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.