Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Recently I've thought I might want to start a small "working" collection of vintage classic hunting rifles. They wouldn't be "safe queens" as I would intend to shoot/hunt with them on occasion.

I'm a history buff of sorts and can appreciate a vintage rifle - although I'm far from an expert being far too young to have experienced the original "heyday" of these rifles.

I have Kimber Montanas in 243 and 280 so I have my modern hunting rifles pretty well covered.

I'd like to tap into the "hive of experience" on this forum have regarding European vs American rifles that might fall into the category of classic hunting rifles. Would you focus on European rifles or American rifles of the period?

Looking at classic hunting rifles (let's say from the 1950's onward) - Husqvarna 1600, early Sakos, FN Mauser, Schultz and Larsen, etc. vs Winchester/Remington/Weatherby/etc.

What would your leaning be around general material quality, fit and finish, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

BP-B6

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I think there's something very cool about a Mauser action chambered in a classic African cartridge - 7x57, 7x64, 9.3x62. You can find Husqvarnas and Zastavas and FNs with solid mechanics that just need some refinishing (which a fun way to get to know the rifle too).

If it was me, I'd focus on action type and chambering more than country of origin of the rifle. But there's really no wrong way to be a rifle nut 😁

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Simple answer, but it’s one of the reasons I own a JC Higgins Model 50 and a pre-64 Featherweight. Both fit the criteria for me. I’m not as savvy on the European rifles but I’m sure there are many Mauser based rifles that fit the description.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
There is something special about Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles. If you want to use optics, look for the 1961 MCA models. Sakos are also nice, as are Brnos and Husqvarnas.

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
O
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
O
You could build extensive and fascinating collections of rifles from either continent from that period. You just have to choose a direction. Most rifles made then had very high levels of fit and finish even as designs evolved away from the classic pre-war designs, so it’s hard to go wrong in that respect.

For US rifles, I’d want bolt guns from Winchester, Remington, and Savage, lever guns from Winchester, Marlin, and Savage, and pumps from whoever you find interesting. I don’t know enough about single-shots to have an opinion.

Many European arms factories ended up building weapons for the Germans during the war so the Allies targeted and destroyed a lot of them. They didn’t make many sporting rifles after the war, but they did convert a lot of 98ks into sporters for for GIs stationed there. Designs were not standard—it was a cottage industry—and quality ran from superb down to as low as you want to go. They also built multi-barrel designs: combinations, drillings, vierlings, etc., but again I’m out of my league on that.

There’s also a LOT of crossover between US and European rifles from that time. Post-war Europe was starved for hard currency and the US wanted hunting rifles, so many European makers built rifles to export to the US. Fabrique Nationale (FN) in Belgium was the leader, both in finished rifles and in actions supplied to Husqvarna and other makers. In fact, Roy Weatherby built his first rifles on FN actions. Some were sold as European brands, others were sold by American companies like Sears & Roebuck, Montgomery Wards, etc.

In Eastern Europe, Zastava and CZ also turned out variations of the commercial 98 for decades. You could make a fascinating study of arms built behind the Iron Curtain.

In England, old-school makers like Rigby and H&H built rifles, as did newer outfits like Parker-Hale. Spain exported Santa Barbara 98 rifles and actions made in the La Coruna factory under various names. They were relatively faithful copies of the commercial FN 98 despite sometimes questionable metallurgy.

You could go a million directions.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
IC B2

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Get a couple Browning safaris, made in Belgium on FN actions for Americans. Covered!

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Above I jest but I really do like this genre of rifles, American and Euro. They would probably be my go to hunting rifles, alas, I'm irredeemably left handed. Have said for years that if I had bottomless pockets, I'd have a one off mirror image Mannlicher made up, probably in 6.5 swede.

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P

Firearms International Sakos are classics.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Overlooked American classics are the Remington 30, 30S, and 720. Also the Savage Model 20, a favorite of Larry Koller.

Have had a number of 98s, including a Sako High Power and a Husky, both built on FN actions, a Bofors Sako, a couple of 70s Zastavas, JC Higgins M50s, a FN Deluxe, and a Flaigs conversion. Now have a couple built on FN barreled actions and a Heym.

Never had a M-S, but there’s still time.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
FN Supremes (30-06 and a 9.3x62 rebore), Walther Model B Mauser's (7x57 and 8x57 brothers), BRNO (375 H&H) and a Krico 222 Rem have been really nice pieces for me.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
On the European side of things there's any number of rifles based on Mauser 98s, both military and non-military actions. However there's a number of other interesting and effective options. For a small-game rifle, for example, I'm a fan of the Brno ZKW465 .22 Hornet. There's also the Sako L46, which is another really nice little rifle.

For medium and larger game there are also Brnos like the ZG47 and ZKK 600 series, as well as Sako L57/579 and L61. I also like BSA's Royal and Majestic, and the Husqvarna 1900 (which was also made under a couple of other names). Tikka LSA55s are another good one.

Of course, classic European hunting rifles need not be bolt-actions either. There are any number of single-shots, combinations, doubles and drillings to consider - I've enjoyed hunting with examples of each of these too.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Don't know if these would qualify as classic, but they are European......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Steyr Mannlicher

Sauer 200

Mauser 98's

Sako Riihimaki's

Blaser R93s' Half Stock and Jadg Stutzen

Kipplauf's....

Blaser K95

Merkel K3 EXTREM

Merkel K1's: half stock and Jagd Stutzen

Double

Merkel 141, 8 x 57 JRS

ya!

GWB

PS: What would be a post without at least one pix of a perforated porker!

Last edited by geedubya; 03/25/21.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by micro240
Recently I've thought I might want to start a small "working" collection of vintage classic hunting rifles.

Not starting, but ending up with! About three years ago, I realized that I only have a few decent hunting years left, so I began selling off my least favorite rifles so that I could concentrate on using those that I like the most. There was nothing wrong with those sold off, They were just not 'special' enough!

I still have too many, but the 'small working collection' includes:

- a 1903 M-S stutzen
- two Brno 22Fs, one 7X57, one 8X57
- a Sako L46 (unfortunately rechambered from 222 to 223 Rem before I got it)
- Winchester M54 30 WCF rifle
- 1903A3 sporter
- a Mexican Mauser sporter
- a Mauser Model S copy apparently made in a backyard shop in Epfendorff, Germany by an Anton Kohle

I still have other rifles, but I try to have one of this group in the woods as much as possible during the season.

Last edited by Hook; 03/25/21.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by backtobethel
There is something special about Mannlicher Schoenauer rifles. If you want to use optics, look for the 1961 MCA models. Sakos are also nice, as are Brnos and Husqvarnas.

I have a Mannlicher Schoenauer in 7x57. Brno( 21.22) whichever is the full stock one in 7x57 and a pre-64 featherweight in 270, Seems I usually grab the Winchester for hunting. Probably because it was my Dads. Throw in a Savage 99 in 250.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by micro240
Recently I've thought I might want to start a small "working" collection of vintage classic hunting rifles. They wouldn't be "safe queens" as I would intend to shoot/hunt with them on occasion.

Looking at classic hunting rifles (let's say from the 1950's onward) - Husqvarna 1600, early Sakos, FN Mauser, Schultz and Larsen, etc. vs Winchester/Remington/Weatherby/etc.

What would your leaning be around general material quality, fit and finish, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Why would you just limit yourself from the 1950s onward? There are some really great rifles made in US, GB, Europe, and other places before that.

However, if I was young again I would aim to get rifles that I know would know would be classics and many of my selections have been already echoed by many on here.

US-
1853 /1863 Sharps Carbine Conversion in 50/70 in good shootable condition. You have to live in either hog country or moose country or maybe both. What would be a better 10 to 100 yard quick gun.

Marlin 1881 in 45-70 in good shootable condition with a long barrel. They are great to shoot off hand.

Savage 1895 in 303 Savage made by Marlin. There aren't a lot of them.

Springfield Sporter 03A3-- Sedgely, Wundhammer, Owen, G and H. They are just neat rifles.

Stevens Crackshot Favorite 22. These are also fun little guns.

Winchester Model 71 in 348 or bigger.

Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 in saddle ring carbine form.

Savage 99 f or g in 300 Savage

Winchester Pre-64 270 featherweight or a Pre-64 338 Winchester Alaskan.

Remington 514 target 22lr Winchester 52b or 75 would also work. A lot of people like the 62 gallery gun.

Ruger RSM 416 Rigby

GB-
One good Double Rifle- Made by William James in 470 Nitro.(Hollis, Manton, Jeffery, Army and Navy, etc) more for go but with some class.

Lee Speed Rifle in 303 British- These are very nice rifles and are classics.

A Rigby highland stalker in 275 Rigby would also be a nice classic rifle.

Whitworth Mark X in 458 Win are out there and just good.

European
Brnos- 21s, and 22s. These have gone up in price. 7X57s abd 8X57s

MS are good after 1950 but man they are classics before. 1903s, 1905s, 1908s and even the 1914/1918 sporters are fantastic.

A Flaig's Custom using a Ferlach oval contour barrel and FN action with a classic stock in 375 or 458 is pretty nice.(European parts but American Custom manufacture)

Sako Riimikiis and Vixens in 222 and 223 in various forms are always winners.

A Sauer Weatherby in 300 Weatherby Mag would be nice.

An Orbendorf Mauser 98 in 8X57 or 9.3X62 would also be nice.

Belgium High Power Safaris were pretty nice pre-salt wood. 264 Win Mag to be different.

Heym modern express rifle modelled off of the form of Ralf Martini in 404 Jeffery would be nice.

That is a quick list. You might be surprised how researching each of these would give you a pretty good look at classic rifles from different periods.

I didn't include Drillings, Kiplaufs or even Huskies which I really like but this is a good start.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I like your list..

Belgium High Power Safaris were pretty nice pre-salt wood. 264 Win Mag to be different.

I looked at these, however, the rule seems to be 22" barrels with an occasional 24" but were never produced in anything longer

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I would probably add.

Ruger Number 1 International in a 257 Roberts or 270 Win.

Remington 700 Mtn Rifle in 280.

Belgium Browning in 308 Win with Sako Action and pencil barrel.

Brn 465 in 22 or 222.

Steyr Zephyr 22 lr.

I would also look at Pre-64 or Mauser Customs by Biesen, Goens, Balicki or Ottomar. Probably any classic maker.

Last edited by kaboku68; 03/26/21.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
To me, no rifle configuration says "European" more than one with a Mannlicher-style stock. I prefer Husqvarnas or the S&W Models D and E that they imported from Sweden, but I'm me and you're not.

Then there are O/U combination guns or any of the other multiple barrels configurations that are, or were, more popular in Europe than they are or were in the U.S.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thanks for the detailed replies - I've got some great "jumping off points" for some research for sure.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Last edited by GoWyo; 03/27/21.

"Damn right it's loaded, it makes a lousy club"
-JW
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
705 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 3,147 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,744
Posts18,401,246
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.