Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Im not really sure that all the dots are... connected.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by shootAI
I generally carry both. Montana. Depends if grizz needs to be considered on what caliber I carry.

Why wouldn’t a guide in idaho be able to carry a rifle. What if had tag and was hunting as well as guiding. I have shot animals while guiding if I had a tag my hunter didn’t and they didn’t object. Never guided in idaho but am right next door and haven’t heard of this.

In AK it is illegal for a guide to shoot a big game animal if he has a client "in the field." Even if the client has finished his hunt, but is still there. Jim West got to find out the hard way on that one.

But a guide in Alaska can shoot a big game animal if it charges can they not?

The way life should be.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bluefish
I generally carry both. Montana. Depends if grizz needs to be considered on what caliber I carry.

Why wouldn’t a guide in idaho be able to carry a rifle. What if had tag and was hunting as well as guiding. I have shot animals while guiding if I had a tag my hunter didn’t and they didn’t object. Never guided in idaho but am right next door and haven’t heard of this.

In AK it is illegal for a guide to shoot a big game animal if he has a client "in the field." Even if the client has finished his hunt, but is still there. Jim West got to find out the hard way on that one.

But a guide in Alaska can shoot a big game animal if it charges can they not?

Of course they can, but that is not hunting per se.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Interesting. I did not know that. Guess every state is a little different. So how do they figure when the hunt is over ? Filled tags obviously doesn’t qualify. I assume you must not be with with a client at any stage of the operation?

Reread your post and decided I didn’t read it correctly the first time. I see the part of in the field. Interesting, but must of been made a law for a reason.

many guides have been caught because they tagged an animal shot by a client. A rather famous family tiff resulted in a sister dropping a dime (stack of videos actually) on two of her brothers, one dead. Both brothers were involved...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by T_Inman
This guy is trolling, big time.

Why adamantly ask about the "other 7-Western States" when his post is in the Alaska forum?
What the hell are the "other 7-Western States" anyhow? I count 11 continuous US states west of and including MT, WY, CO and NM.
I have spent more than a little bit of time in Idaho (including being a guide several years ago) and have never heard of them not being able to carry a long gun while guiding. That's either a somewhat new regulation or a complete fib.

Completely agree. Confident he could find phone numbers online for all the states he interested in and simply call them.... Or continue to adamantly ask people who may or may not know the answer.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Not that its relevant but 3 months of the year I carry a Glock 20 with me guiding fishing trips. Once we kill a big game animal a Glock 20 is on me at all times. While the rifle is close by generally speaking.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by aheider

Why adamantly ask about the "other 7-Western States" when his post is in the Alaska forum?
What the hell are the "other 7-Western States" anyhow? I count 11 continuous US states west of and including MT, WY, CO and NM.
I have spent more than a little bit of time in Idaho (including being a guide several years ago) and have never heard of them not being able to carry a long gun while guiding. That's either a somewhat new regulation or a complete fib.

Completely agree. Confident he could find phone numbers online for all the states he interested in and simply call them.... Or continue to adamantly ask people who may or may not know the answer.

Or.......you could accept that this is a "forum". Or you could become an "Adult", perhaps "choose" which threads you wished to participate in, allow others the option to participate in threads of their choice. Or you could continue to be a spoiled brat, special snowflake, with delusionary thinking that throwing a tantrum, makes a difference.

You could even "start" threads about subjects that interests you.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T

I'm not sure if it is true or not, but if it is, I might have some insight. A friend ... older than my dad ... used to guide in Idaho. The guides killed most of the game. He told me once about shooting 5 bulls out of a herd then dragging the customers, who were back in camp drinking, out to do the tagging. Other times, if they weren't as far back in the bushes and they might get checked, the guide would tag an animal with his tag temporarily 'til a customer could tag it.

We had similar situations arise when I was guiding fishermen ... 20+ years ago.

Because of that, I can see good reason to not allow a guide to hunt or fish any time they have customers in the field. It removes several paths to cover poaching.

Tom

Last edited by T_O_M; 03/24/21.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The fellow that hosted me in the Yukon carried a 375H&H the 1st time and a 9.3x62 the 2nd.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AGL4now

Or.......you could accept that this is a "forum". Or you could become an "Adult", perhaps "choose" which threads you wished to participate in, allow others the option to participate in threads of their choice. Or you could continue to be a spoiled brat, special snowflake, with delusionary thinking that throwing a tantrum, makes a difference.

You lecturing someone else on "becoming an adult", "being a "special snowflake" and "throwing a tantrum" on a forum is laughable at best, though I am convinced you're here only to troll too.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always love posts that begin with " I don't know if it's true or not "

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by 458Win

They are almost as good as the facbook posts that go like this..." 9mm for bear defense"....yea I guess...some guy did it in Alaska a few years ago....guy definintely ddint know anything about bears or been around them much otherwise he would have had a 500 Smith"

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite stories start with "this one time, at band camp"

"243/85TSX It's as if the HAMMER OF THOR were wielded by CHUCK NORRIS himself, and a roundhouse kick thrown in for good measure."
A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by gitem_12

They are almost as good as the facbook posts that go like this..." 9mm for bear defense"....yea I guess...some guy did it in Alaska a few years ago....guy definintely ddint know anything about bears or been around them much otherwise he would have had a 500 Smith"

Hey there gitem_12,,,,, that some guy in Alaska, was the guy you just "Quoted Above" 458Win, yea,,,,, the guy that doesn't know much about Bears,,,,,, looks like you kind-a step in it a bit with your Post........ cry

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Umm, hey there. Sorry but this forum doesn’t have a sarcasm font. So you’re forced to interpret it from past knowledge of the poster, or realizing that the story has been posted here before. By Phil, as a matter of fact.
So, swing and a miss!!

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what they do,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in those,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,other,7(?) western states,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I usually carry my Barret BMG .50,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,in my side holster,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Just sayin',,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by AGL4now

Apparently my response was too much and you were unable to follow your own advice and simple move on. Maybe I should have been more clear, and just mentioned if you have a question about the legality of a guide carrying a weapon in multiple states, my suggestion would be to talk with the actual authority rather than trust an Internet forum. But that’s just me.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Umm, hey there. Sorry but this forum doesn’t have a sarcasm font. So you’re forced to interpret it from past knowledge of the poster, or realizing that the story has been posted here before. By Phil, as a matter of fact.
So, swing and a miss!!

Or, simply being able to read and comprehend.

It’s a gift!!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AK375DGR
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Hey there gitem_12,,,,, that some guy in Alaska, was the guy you just "Quoted Above" 458Win, yea,,,,, the guy that doesn't know much about Bears,,,,,, looks like you kind-a step in it a bit with your Post........ cry

Too funny. Gitem knew it was Phil. Re-read his post s-l-o-w-e-r.

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Ok,,,,,, I've got some additional info/intel regarding this Post, my information on Idaho was partially correct, ie... as per an email from Idaho Outfitters and Guides Board Secretary, it said that, that particular Outfitter for whom that particular Guide works for, decides what type of Firearm that Guide can carry,,,,,, so I got some bogus-intel at the start, [bleep] happens....
And after talking with Wyoming Outfitters Board, they had the same answer for the most part, but if Hunting in Grizzly-Bear Country, it is Customary for the Guide to have an adequate Long-Gun, and a Handgun as well, especially during gutting/butchering/quartering, a downed animal she said.
Montana Outfitters & Guides Board said just about the same thing as Wyo. & ID.
Waiting to hear back from, CO.~ OR.~ AZ.~ NM.~NV. , but at this point, I've found out, about what I needed to know for now.....
So, this was not a "Troll" at work here, just a guy asking a few questions,,,, after all, this is a Public Hunting Information Forum, is it not......? What ever happened to just having a conversation, and Wow, some of you guys go-off the DEEP-END real Quick,,,,, and remind me of "Chicken-Little" and the Sky is Falling............ cry
Ok,,,, that's all I got, for now. cool Lj

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,310
Posts18,468,202
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.