-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Does anybody here have any experience in Colorado Unit 58 or with Loco Mountain Outfitters?

The Outfitters name is Jim Flynn. He seems like a stand up guy in our phone conversations. Just looking for feedback before I mail a check for a Elk Hunt.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have not found anything negative thus far. Usually, outfitters registered in Colorado or other mountain states don't last too long if they are [bleep]. Looks like some beautiful country down there. Good luck on your hunt.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Thanks,

Hoping somebody has experience with the unit or knows the outfitter personally.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Bump

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I spend a lot of time in the National Forest in unit 58. I'm there all seasons camping, hiking, dirt biking. Hunted opening day of 2nd season deer last weekend. My take on the area is that the animals are there, but they are not densely packed. The deer and elk herds are very small compared to other areas of the state. We seldom see deer or elk during any of our excursions. In my experience the area is not heavily hunted and almost all the hunting I see is of the road hunting variety. Almost never see another hunter in the woods. Pickups with hunters glassing the open areas for animals is the norm. The terrain is rolling hills with conifer/aspen mix at the higher elevations and sage and oak at the lower elevations. Lots of grassy meadows/valleys. It's not rugged by Colorado standards. It's relatively open too. I don't know of any areas that have dark timber. I don't hunt any private ranches in CO, but see a lot of elk on them. The elk aren't dumb. If you were coming from Alabama to hunt the public lands in 58, I'd say you are wasting your time. Private is a completely different situation and could be good - if the outfitter knows where the few animals around are. I'd take the earliest possible season you could. It's first come first serve on herd bulls, which are going to be few and far between on public or private.

IC B2

S
S
I have booked a 4th rifle season hunt with Loco Mountain Outfitter this year and leave to go down there next Monday. I also liked what Jim Flynn had to say on the phone
and my wife is going with me. She will stay at the lodge while I am hunting and it was a reasonable fee to have her stay. I will let you know how the hunt
went when I return.

Last edited by sddeerhunter; 11/09/20. Reason: added information
S
S
Thoroughly enjoyed my hunt at Loco Mountain Outfitters! Guides were very knowledgeable and worked together to find elk opportunities for all the hunters. I tagged out on a nice sized 6x6 bull an hour after legal shooting time on public land. Lodge was nice and food was wonderful. Plan on returning in 2 or 3 years when I gain enough preference points to draw another tag. I would recommend going with this outfitter.

Attached Images
1269[1].jpg (69.89 KB, 668 downloads)
Last edited by sddeerhunter; 11/25/20.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good job on your hunt! Some good chewing there! That is cool you were able to take your wife!

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by sddeerhunter
Thoroughly enjoyed my hunt at Loco Mountain Outfitters! Guides were very knowledgeable and worked together to find elk opportunities for all the hunters. I tagged out on a nice sized 6x6 bull an hour after legal shooting time on public land. Lodge was nice and food was wonderful. Plan on returning in 2 or 3 years when I gain enough preference points to draw another tag. I would recommend going with this outfitter.

NICE bull. congrats

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Good bull!

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Hunted with them a couple times! Jim runs a straight fore ward camp! Shot a Muley, was hunting a big Bull, never got the shot! That's Hunting! Good Guides, Good people!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Wow, a bunch of new members posting here. Coincidence?

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Wow, a bunch of new members posting here. Coincidence?

No such schit as coincidence. See 2020 election results. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad to hear good reports about an outfit.

I always laugh when I hear something like. "well i really liked what he had to say on the phone," or "he sure seems like a stand up guy."

Uh, that ain't enough. Do you ever hear "dang that guy ripped me off and I didn't even like the way he sounded on the phone."

Last edited by Ralphie; 12/16/20.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Been Hunting for 40 plus years, yeah new member here, but just trying to let ya know, that you'll be happy with Loco mountain Outfitters. Oh Yeah, the Foods great too! They will Hunt you as hard as you let them. Do your self a favor and go in in good shape, and practice shooting before you go. Enjoy the experience! Their not magicians, their Outfitters/Hunting Guides! There's different kinds of hunts. Hunting can be a hard working, hobby/sport. Do you like to sit around and talk about it, or get after it and go get it? Know your weapon, and know your shot! Know your ranging! I'm just saying that, I was happy with them!

I Learned a long time ago to Separate My Want's from My Needs!

A man's Gotta Do What a Man's Gotta Do!

Know Thy Self!

TRUMP DID WIN!!!
S
S
Sorry I haven't checked this site lately but I wanted to reply. Yes, I did say I liked what Jim had to say on the phone. But that was only part of the process before I booked with Loco Mountain Outfitters.

I also checked references and they all had good things to say. I checked opportunity and success rates as well. Jim offered me a small discount due to the fact I was a law enforcement officer at the time (I have since retired). I wanted to bring my wife along to stay at the lodge while I was hunting and Loco Mountain Outfitters was able to accommodate this request for a very modest fee. Jim answered my questions honestly when I talked to him and made it clear that there was no guarantee that I would harvest an elk but his guides would work like hell to try to get me one.

Jim sent me maps of the areas they hunt and I was able to mark them on my OnX maps before going out. So it wasn't just what he said on the phone that convinced me to book with him but it was a start. My wife and I had such a good time that I have already sent Jim a deposit for a hunt in 2023 again and just purchased a preference point this evening as I will need 2 to draw the tag.

The guides all worked well together and shared information on where they were seeing elk so that they could put their clients in the best position to harvest one. Overall it was a great experience and I would definitely recommend Loco Mountain Outfitters for an outfitted hunt in Colorado.

S
S
Ruraldoc, did you ever end up hunting with Loco Mountain Outfitters?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How many times can you say Loco Mountain Outfiiters in one thread? Is Loco .Mountain Outfitters as good as everyone says it is? Would you go hunting with Loco Mountain Outfitters again? Why is Loco Mountain Outfitters so highly rated? Do four out of five dentists recommend Loco Mountain Outfitters?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

lol......

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by troublesome82
I have not found anything negative thus far. Usually, outfitters registered in Colorado or other mountain states don't last too long if they are [bleep]. Looks like some beautiful country down there. Good luck on your hunt.

Had a outfitter like that a long time ago, he sounded great on the phone, was in a lot of organizations and listed in Bugle. He was a alcoholic and lazy as all get out when the time came, I managed to kill a really nice Mule Deer on the hunt but it was me not him responsible for that . It was supposed to be an Elk hunt .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1234, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,665
Posts18,455,794
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.