24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I worked up a load for my Sauer Ceratech 8x57 using the Hornady 170gr SST and I wanted to see how it would expand so I conducted a jug test. Test was conducted at 50yds because when I tried it at 100yds the bullet kept exiting my line of jugs and disappearing in the dirt. I didn't find that one, so I moved it back to 50yds. The bullet traveled through 4 jugs and was recovered in the bottom of the 5th jug. I weighed and measured the bullet post recovery. Figured Id share my results incase someone wondered about this particular bullet. Load used was as follows.

Hornady 170gr SST
54grs Winchester 748 ball powder
Remington 9 1/2 large rifle primer
Winchester Brass

Average Velocity is 2728 fps based on a total of 5 shots.

Bullet weighed 101.5gr
Bullet measured .732

[Linked Image from i.vgy.me]
Old picture but this is the same rifle used for the jug test.

Last edited by 84Mtn_EER; 03/19/21.
HR IC

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Thanks for the report, we are now up to four guys on this side of the Atlantic that are 8x57 fans. I have been fooling with Lever evolution, or however they spell it...getting good velocities and accuracy, with the Sierra 175 (which is kind of a tough bullet at 8x57 velocities) maybe tomorrow if the wind dies down I'll see what Lvr does with 150's. Can't have too many powder options nowdays.
If you were to give your Sauer a report card...how would you rate it? I looked at one in Sportsmans Warehouse last summer, couldn't find anything to criticize just by appearance.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I wouldn't say we're big 8x57 fans, but a friend and I sometimes kick ourselves for not swooping down on several of the 8x57 Remington 700 Classics when one source was closing them out at a very low price. We both appreciate how 700 Classics handle. I handload so performance oriented ammunition loaded to the full capability of the cartridge in a strong modern rifle would have been no problem.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Thanks for the report.

I’m a pretty big 8x57 fan, especially after buying one of the Remington 700 Classics back in 2004. It’s worked well for me on quite a few deer with the Sierra 175.

Been thinking of trying the Nosler 180 Ballistic Tip someday, but I have a good supply of the 175s.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a couple of Husqvarna 640s, one SR and one LR, and a Remington 700 parts gun in 8x57. I like the 195 grain Hornady SpirePoint, since none of the rifles are used at longer ranges.

The 700 Classics in 300 Savage and 8x57 were poor sellers, so the rest of the inventory was closed out and bargain basement prices. I'd bet that a large portion of those rifles were used as donors rather than in their factory specs configuration.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Much appreciated about the work.

Aside from the 45-70, the 8x57mm Mauser is my next favorites caliber. Big fan over here...and I just shoot the old military rifles.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I`ve shot that bullet for quite a while now, Classic 700, using CFE. Getting good velocities and accuracy. With the advertised BC of .400, it`ll do good work a bit further out, if desired. Have not killed an animal with that bullet, tho taken a few with the Sierra 175`s. and PPU 175 BT.
Thanks for posting.

PS, Nice to see interest in this cartridge.

Last edited by CGPAUL; 03/19/21.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by paint
Thanks for the report.

Been thinking of trying the Nosler 180 Ballistic Tip someday, but I have a good supply of the 175s.

The Nosler 180gn is a great bullet. Very tough and ploughs through every time. I haven't caught one yet in an animal.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I have a No. 1A at my smith waiting on a barrel to become an 8x57 rimmed. I have CFE223 on hand that I've been using for 32 Win Special and looking forward to using it with the 8x57. Have a little 748 left and might try that also. This is helpful information - thanks for posting.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Thanks for the report, we are now up to four guys on this side of the Atlantic that are 8x57 fans. I have been fooling with Lever evolution, or however they spell it...getting good velocities and accuracy, with the Sierra 175 (which is kind of a tough bullet at 8x57 velocities) maybe tomorrow if the wind dies down I'll see what Lvr does with 150's. Can't have too many powder options nowdays.
If you were to give your Sauer a report card...how would you rate it? I looked at one in Sportsmans Warehouse last summer, couldn't find anything to criticize just by appearance.

Honestly I bought the Sauer because I always wanted a 8x57 but I didnt want an old war horse of rifle. I have nothing against them but I wanted something I knew I could load to its full potential. I love the smooth bolt and the schabel forened coupled with the detachable magazine. It handles very well and makes for a really good woods rifle. Its not too heavy, its easy handling, quick pointing, and just a joy to carry. Ive killed a few deer with it well over 200 yds but most have been in the neighborhood of 150 or less. Last summer I worked up a good load with 4064 and the 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip and in this particular Sauer it will put 4 inside of 1 inch at 100yds. I killed a nice doe back in December with a full frontal shot straight through the brisket and I was able to recover the core of the bullet. I assume the jacket was shed somewhere in the entrails as I didnt find it. The year before that, I worked up a load of H4895 with the Hornady 150gr Interlock and killed a big fat doe at 232yds and it left a large 50cent piece hole in and out. I also killed a button buck with the same load and it was a bang flop kind of situation.

I have almost 200 of the Sierra 175gr SP, Sierra 150gr, some Speer 150s, 170s, Hornady 170 SST and Interlock Round Nose, Barnes 160gr TTSX, and both Nosler 200gr Accubonds, and Partitions. I personally love the fact that not many people carry and hunt with the 8x57 and regardless of its original intent for development, I cant help but feel like I have a modern piece of history.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Astrodynamicist
I have a No. 1A at my smith waiting on a barrel to become an 8x57 rimmed. I have CFE223 on hand that I've been using for 32 Win Special and looking forward to using it with the 8x57. Have a little 748 left and might try that also. This is helpful information - thanks for posting.

How did the CFE223 work in the 32? I've been looking at trying that combo.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 84Mtn_EER
I worked up a load for my Sauer Ceratech 8x57 using the Hornady 170gr SST and I wanted to see how it would expand so I conducted a jug test. Test was conducted at 50yds because when I tried it at 100yds the bullet kept exiting my line of jugs and disappearing in the dirt. I didn't find that one, so I moved it back to 50yds. The bullet traveled through 4 jugs and was recovered in the bottom of the 5th jug. I weighed and measured the bullet post recovery. Figured Id share my results incase someone wondered about this particular bullet. Load used was as follows.

Hornady 170gr SST
54grs Winchester 748 ball powder
Remington 9 1/2 large rifle primer
Winchester Brass

Average Velocity is 2728 fps based on a total of 5 shots.

Bullet weighed 101.5gr
Bullet measured .732

Old picture but this is the same rifle used for the jug test.

W748 has been my go to powder for the 8x57 for a couple of years now. Both good accuracy and velocity with nearly everything I've tried.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
84th Mtn, Thanks for the reply, I have yet to hear from anyone who has had serious criticism of the the Sauer.
Some random thoughts and observations on the 8x57. CFE 223 and it's twin BLC-2 are the clear velocity winners with adequate hunting accuracy in my near half century of the 8x57. For long brass life ie, low pressure nothing comes close (I believe that 748 is from the same gene pool although I've never tried it). Vast majority of my experimentation has been with light to medium weight bullets, the various 150 gr bullets of course all worked well in a number of rifles, with good performance when driven at 2900 or so, under 200 yard kills. 160 gr all copper, still testing, good accuracy though. Stepping up to 170 Speers, no surprises, a good cup and core choice, reliable at normal ranges. 175 Sierra, well, accurate as hell but it is a tough bullet and needs to be driven at top velocities, I got some 'through and through' experiences, yes, the deer died but maybe the bullet is still going. I now use it only in the 8mm-06. The old Remington Core Lokt 185, or at least the ones I have is another tough bullet, too tough for wimpy impact velocities. Just some of my experiences. I suspect that some of the 8mm bullet offerings came on the market about the time the 8mm Rem Mag was being introduced, so the bullets may be a little on the tough side, still killers yes, but I worry about getting 2 for 1 screwups on the bullets that exit the game. If I could have but one bullet, at typical ranges and velocities, I would pick the humble 170 Speer because I avoid drama. It just works.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have a K98 that was made in 1912. Been sporterized and topped with a 2x7 Leupold with a Timney trigger. It's been in the family for 60 yrs and I still hunt with it. I have some loads to check in the next week or so using the hornaday 170 interlock with IMR 4895. I've taken a couple of deer with it using the Speer 150 gr and hogs with the Speer 170's. I've also had goo luck on paper with the Rem 185 but not proven on game yet. I believe that some of those heavier bullets were for the 8 mag and the 325 WSM.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by flintlocke
84th Mtn, Thanks for the reply, I have yet to hear from anyone who has had serious criticism of the the Sauer.
Some random thoughts and observations on the 8x57. CFE 223 and it's twin BLC-2 are the clear velocity winners with adequate hunting accuracy in my near half century of the 8x57. For long brass life ie, low pressure nothing comes close (I believe that 748 is from the same gene pool although I've never tried it). Vast majority of my experimentation has been with light to medium weight bullets, the various 150 gr bullets of course all worked well in a number of rifles, with good performance when driven at 2900 or so, under 200 yard kills. 160 gr all copper, still testing, good accuracy though. Stepping up to 170 Speers, no surprises, a good cup and core choice, reliable at normal ranges. 175 Sierra, well, accurate as hell but it is a tough bullet and needs to be driven at top velocities, I got some 'through and through' experiences, yes, the deer died but maybe the bullet is still going. I now use it only in the 8mm-06. The old Remington Core Lokt 185, or at least the ones I have is another tough bullet, too tough for wimpy impact velocities. Just some of my experiences. I suspect that some of the 8mm bullet offerings came on the market about the time the 8mm Rem Mag was being introduced, so the bullets may be a little on the tough side, still killers yes, but I worry about getting 2 for 1 screwups on the bullets that exit the game. If I could have but one bullet, at typical ranges and velocities, I would pick the humble 170 Speer because I avoid drama. It just works.

Thanks for your insight on the powders and the bullets. I've ran a couple of test strings looking for accuracy using CFE223 and also BL-C2 with a few bullets and I've been pleased. I haven't used any of those combos on game yet though.

I'll agree with you whole heartedly on the 170gr Speer. I found great speed and accuracy with BigGame powder using that bullet and killed a couple deer with that load. It repeatedly puts 4 bullets into ¾inch at 100yds with an AVG velocity of 2689 for me.

I'm currently testing some of the 170gr Hornady Roundnose with some IMR 4064 in attempts to achieve a good woods load where my shots will be 125yds or less and impact velocity greater.

I have some 160gr Barnes TTSX and I haven't shot them yet. Maybe that's what I'll focus on for next deer season.

It always seems I have more bullets to test performance on than I have tags for. I guess that's not a bad problem though

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the bullet performance report. It looks like a good recipe.

I've been using 170 Speer Hot Cores in my 98 Husqvarnas for years at medium velocities, and I loaded with the 195 Hornadys to have the 8mm as my second rifle on elk hunts years ago, when I had few rifles and even fewer dollar$.

I shoot both low pressure J bores in break open guns and full potential S bore bolt guns. I've found R-15 to be a very good accuracy powder in the 8mm. Win 748 is a pretty good choice, also.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The 8x57 has always been one of my favorites. As a gunsmith I built custom rifles in it. Some using Ruger actions. Very efficient, forgiving caliber that’s easy to handload. The case design is great for smooth feeding and very balanced case to bore capacity.
All my customers I suggested it to, & built rifles for, came back & thanked me. Have had a lot of factory guns in it too, mostly the rimmed version in drillings & combo guns.
The caliber got a bad rap after WWII, due to the military guns & ammo that folks were using. But in a good rifle with good ammo it’s a very accurate effective big game cartridge.
A lot of African game has been taken with it, including elephant.
Glad to see some people respecting this great classic!

Greg
"An abundance of information can exacerbate ignorance if the information is of poor quality" Tom Robbins
http://classicsportingguns.com/

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
664 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 59 invisible), 3,136 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,213
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.