Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
K
Ky221 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
K
Just a fun thread, interested to see what everyone's choices would be. Doesn't matter if you have taken 5 leopards or never considered hunting them, what would you choose?

I have Zimbabwe booked for next August, which will be my first trip to Africa. Father in law is also going along and will be hunting plains game. I decided on a No. 1 300H&H and 180g Interlocks.

BP-B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Either a 7x57 with 140 grain NBT's, a .270 Win with 130 grain NBT's or a .30/06 with 150 grain NBT's.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I am going next year to Namibia and I think I am going with my 300 Win Mag and 180 Swift A-Frames

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Either a 7x57 with 140 grain NBT's, a .270 Win with 130 grain NBT's or a .30/06 with 150 grain NBT's.

I’d be in this camp. My 280 imp with 150 NBT’s close to 3K would be my go to. Anything between 6mm and 30 cal with a fairly stout C&C bullet around 2800-3K fps would be fine with me.

The following of a wounded cat may bring another choice on though!

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
" No. 1 300H&H and 180g Interlocks" - seem like a very good choice to me. And shoot that one shot in the right "spot"

But your scope is likely more important than your rifle or cartridge. Most leopards are hunted in poor light from a stable shooting position. The others, well then you need instinctive quick handling and reliability and power...
I'd probably choose my 9.3x74R O/U double Beretta Express, with S&B 1.5-8x42 Stratos scope with illuminated reticle. I'd load it with a 286 gr. round nose bullet with lots of lead exposed, like the Norma Alaskan. It's accurate and deadly on the first shot, in any light and from any position, and quick and deadly if a second shot is needed.

Last edited by castnblast; 03/26/21.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My .300 Weatherby with a Barnes 168 grain TTSX bullet worked perfectly on my Mozambique leopard.

SAVE 200 ELK, KILL A WOLF

NRA Endowment Life Member

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Personal experience:

MY leopard taken with a .270, 150gr Nosler Partition. One shot, No follow up. My wife's leopard was taken with a .308 180gr Nosler Partition. One shot, ran twenty yards No follow up. I've witnessed the taking of two other leopard. One was shot/killed with a .30-06 150gr Remington CoreLoc. One shot No Follow up.. The other leopard I witnessed being taken was shot/killed with a .416 Rigby 400gr Swift A-Frame. The end result was the same. One shot, DRT.

Scopes used: Leupold 1.5x5 on my .270, and the same on my wife's .308. The -06 had an old Weaver 4x, and the Rigby had a Leupold 3x9. Nothing exotic or esoteric.

Have had the opportunity to discuss leopard hunting with several P/H's in Zimbabwe, and Zambia regarding which caliber they thought was "best" for leopard. There didn't seem to be any consensus for "Best." To the man, they emphasized the importance of shot placement, no matter the caliber.

Shoot straight, and you'll have your trophy.

Last edited by TSIBINDI; 03/27/21.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Have been around when leopards were taken but have never shot one. Remember the range will likely be no more than 50 yards. The cat’s bones are not heavy. Most hunters want a nice cape. I would use a mono at no more than 3000 and believe 2700-2750 might be ideal. A big thirty with wide expanding bullets will create a big hole in the hide. Some sort of 7mm shooting a 140 TTSX or ETip at 2775 might be ideal.

Last edited by RinB; 03/26/21.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
E
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
E
Robert Ruark has content on youtube. I had read some about him and Harry Selby. So I gave one his old films a view. He said he carried a shotgun with buckshot for back up because the cats are too fast to use sights. I had never considered that, being completely lacking in experience.

I'm sure a scoped centerfire rifle of sufficient caliber is without rival for shot placement on unsuspecting cats at distance. Same as other game. I've also read that current thinking favors rifles for backup.

I have a Rem 700 Mnt gun 30-06 I had used for elk before switching to a muzzle loader. Im sure it would work fine. I'd likely want a better quality scope of fixed low magnification.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

No 460? are you feeling OK?

I would take my 338-06 with 210 grain monometal. Probably a TSX, but maybe a TTSX. Already have a TSX load worked up. TTSX's on the shelf, just have not tried them yet..

I have used 200gr Ballistic silvertips on deer and black bear. IMO it would tear up a leopard pretty good.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I wouldn’t mind a big sewn up hole on my rug. I would hate to watch a leopard run off into the bush.
I think I’d go for the biggest nastiest hole I could punch through it. I’ve seen even a 243 with 95BT put a hurting on deer and exit. Doubt leopard are much thicker/heavier?

Obviously a lot of ways to get it done.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Leopards are not difficult to kill with proper shot placement and a decent bullet. That said, the two I’ve shot were with a 300 Winchester and 180 grain Nosler Partition and a 338 Winchester with 225 grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaw. Both died quickly. I’ll be leopard hunting later this year and shooting my 338, with a 225 grain bullet, either a Nosler Partition or Barnes TTSX. Either will do fine.

If I were hunting only leopard, I’d probably shoot either a 270 or 30-06 with a partition or accubond.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by CRS

I would take my 338-06 with 210 grain monometal. Probably a TSX, but maybe a TTSX. Already have a TSX load worked up. TTSX's on the shelf, just have not tried them yet..

I have used 200gr Ballistic silvertips on deer and black bear. IMO it would tear up a leopard pretty good.

A .460 ummm......

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think you've got more than "enough gun". As mentioned by others above, shot distances from blinds are generally less than 100 yrds. Even a really big tom will actually only be 18"-20" wide through the shoulders and maybe 24" crouched on a limb feeding. Skin is relatively thin and again as mentioned, the bones are not heavy/thick. Your PH will most likely have the blind positioned so that a cat feeding on the bait will be as broadside as possible for several reasons: a) to give you the largest vital area presentation. b) so he can confirm "nuts" before you shoot. The penalties for mistakenly shooting a female are pretty sever and pretty much the same whatever county you're in. You'll still pay the full trophy fee and govt will keep it. PH may face fines or disciplinary actions.

Again as mentioned, Bullet choice is pretty important. Leopard are sensitive to high velocity impacts but, depending on bullet choice, that can also make BIG holes on the off-side exit. Maybe think about using a mono-metal like TSX or a TTSX. The TSX doesn't expand as quickly as the TTSX and is unlikely to blow a big exit hole even if you happen to hit a leg bone of a crouching/feeding cat. If you put pretty much any size hole thru the heart, even from a solid, he's not going to go far.

Be sure to spend time studying Shot Placement. Take special note of how low in the chest the heart is and ESPECIALLY when crouched - lays on the floor of the chest wall. Also, you'll likely be shooting at a slight upward angle, maybe 15-20ft above your seated position in the blind.

Your rifle is very likely to be a bit pre-positioned very stable, "supported" at the forestock and buttstock and generally pre-aimed where the PH thinks the cat is most likely to settle on the bait. All you'll have to do is quietly sit forward, shoulder, safety off, final aim point adjustment and squeeze.

Once there is a cat on bait and the blind is built, it would be a good idea to measure the distance from the bait to the blind and take a couple of shots at the PH's range to make sure you're dead nuts zeroed. You want as little guesswork as possible. Just put the crosshairs on and squeeze.

Optics - your hunt is likely to be under very low light evening/morning or even full night. If full night, it's not unusual for the PH to have lights set up. Usually red and on a rheostat. Like most predators, leopards can't really "see" red light. They will notice a general "brightening" of the area but if the rheostat is turned up slowly, after the cat as settled on the bait feeding, it may take him awhile to notice. It will be just to the point the PH can confirm "nuts" and the after he's settled on the bait and feeding, he may not notice the change. An illuminated reticle scope can come in real handy. Leopold's Custom Shop used to offer a "green dot" in their VX-R line. That is absolutely ideal if you'll be in a red light situation.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CRS

A .460 ummm......

Didn't you come into a 404 Jeffery also? That would be big enough, and with a tough bullet would not tear up the hide. Big enough hole for plenty of leaking though.

Arcus Venator
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Just guessing but if my FN 30-06 loaded with the 168 gr TSX worked on a cheetah the combo would likely work on a leopard.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by CRS

A .460 ummm......

Didn't you come into a 404 Jeffery also? That would be big enough, and with a tough bullet would not tear up the hide. Big enough hole for plenty of leaking though.

Yes, I have a .404 Jeffery, the problem with it is that a scope does not work.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Never even think about them. Somehow I doubt one would function with a good 140gr 6.5 bullet properly placed in it! But if I was to go the Africa, ain't gonna happen in this life time, two rifles I might take Big gun would be my 30-06 with 200gr bullet's and second probably my 6.5x55 with 140gr bullet's. These days I'd go if all I could take was a camera! But a brother did it, three weeks he his son and son's wife. Not counting air fare it was over $60K! My choice of cartridge's would determine what I'd hunt. I don't shoot anything larger than 30 cal anymore, don't like recoil!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My philosophy has always been to carry a rifle capable of dealing with unexpected situations. I've only carried two rifles in Africa : "light rifle" - 375 H&H, Heavy Rifle - 458 Lott.

For a leopard hunt, a 375 H&H would be my pick. Ammo in camp is likely to be found if needed and the 375 H&H is adequate for bigger stuff if circumstances present themselves. While the 375 H&H is very effective, it does not cause extreme collateral tissue damage and recoil is not uncomfortable.

T.S.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Ky221
Just a fun thread, interested to see what everyone's choices would be. Doesn't matter if you have taken 5 leopards or never considered hunting them, what would you choose?

I have Zimbabwe booked for next August, which will be my first trip to Africa. Father in law is also going along and will be hunting plains game. I decided on a No. 1 300H&H and 180g Interlocks.

Dunno how this could be improved upon.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Any rifle suitable for deer hunting will work just fine on leopard.

That said, I took a .375 H&H. Why? To have one rifle for everything, including elephant. Took two types of bullets--North Fork 300 grain flat point solids and North Fork 300 grain softs. I never got a shot at a leopard but the softs worked OK on Impala, Lion, Zebra, and Cape Buffalo.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you are shooting a .458 bore, I found the 300 grain Nosler Partition to be very effective. at a MV of 2200 fps.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

CRS, NRA Benefactor Life Member, Whittington Center, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Android Reloading Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a 300 H&H that shoots 180gr TTSX's into tiny groups, thinking that would work just fine. Of course, any my 270's shooting 130gr mono's or 6.5x55 with 129gr IL's would work.

I could also go big with my 375 H&H and 270gr TSX's or 416 Remington shooting 350gr TSX's.

Love having choices.....

Arcus Venator
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by CRS

Elk saves those 460 loads for his NM jachwabbits.

Leopards evidently not as hard to kill.

I’d think a 210 NPT out of that 338-06 would pack a wallop.

I have a .375 H&H NH Classic with a Victory 1.5-6x42 that would be great for those cats. A hunter who’s been there made that comment. I’ve read that the South Africans make a special load for cats. That could be interesting.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by TSIBINDI
Personal experience:

MY leopard taken with a .270, 150gr Nosler Partition. One shot, No follow up. My wife's leopard was taken with a .308 180gr Nosler Partition. One shot, ran twenty yards No follow up. I've witnessed the taking of two other leopard. One was shot/killed with a .30-06 150gr Remington CoreLoc. One shot No Follow up.. The other leopard I witnessed being taken was shot/killed with a .416 Rigby 400gr Swift A-Frame. The end result was the same. One shot, DRT.

Scopes used: Leupold 1.5x5 on my .270, and the same on my wife's .308. The -06 had an old Weaver 4x, and the Rigby had a Leupold 3x9. Nothing exotic or esoteric.

Have had the opportunity to discuss leopard hunting with several P/H's in Zimbabwe, and Zambia regarding which caliber they thought was "best" for leopard. There didn't seem to be any consensus for "Best." To the man, they emphasized the importance of shot placement, no matter the caliber.

Shoot straight, and you'll have your trophy.

Good to know the standard 400gr A Frame at roughly 2400 fps worked a DRT on the light cats, i made hollow points out of my A Frames for Leopard with my 400 H&H, it was also a 70 yard DRT, wanted to shoot buffalo and hippo with my 577 double, my bolt rifle had to do the rest, i can say 400gr A Frames leaving at 2400 fps work perfectly on:

Warthog at 169
Waterbuck at 222
Hartebeest at 228
Zebra at 277

The heavy mediums can indeed get it all done this side of 300 yards, last Oct/Nov trip to Tanzania was a hell of an experience.

Trump Won!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I wouldn’t mind a big sewn up hole on my rug. I would hate to watch a leopard run off into the bush.
I think I’d go for the biggest nastiest hole I could punch through it. I’ve seen even a 243 with 95BT put a hurting on deer and exit. Doubt leopard are much thicker/heavier?

Obviously a lot of ways to get it done.

John Kingsley-Heath was a famous PH, who ever before he started guiding hunted leopards avidly in several countries. (Among several famous hunters he guided was Jack O'Connor.) He and his clients killed hundreds of leopards, and Kingsley-Heath eventually decided the .243 was ideal. It killed them quite suddenly with a properly placed shot--which was easily accomplished with the light recoil, and didn't tear up hides as much as larger calibers.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll never have the opportunity, but I'd think the ideal leopard rifle would be a relatively fast medium bore throwing a fairly frangible pill. To that end, I'd go .325 WSM. I shot a buck last season with a 180gr Ballistic Tip in the .325 and have never seen such a blood trail in my life, looked like a crime scene. The 8mm Ballistic Tip, or possibly a Hawk 180 or 200gr soft round nose would blow kitty clockwork all over the tree he was perched in.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

I know a little about JKH’s 243. John is correct, it was his favorite leopard medicine. Among other reasons, he liked it because his clients predictably placed their shot precisely. Also it didn’t destroy the poor critter. The stress of leopard hunting increases because of waiting and boredom and desire not to F up. Many leopard hunters miss their cat at short range despite shooting off of a rest that was set up hours before kitty arrives. A big 30 or bigger is more hindrance than help.

JOC got a pre-64 Fwt M70 in 243 and had it gussied up and then stocked by Earl Milliron of Portland OR. If my memory is correct it had a 3x9 Leupold. I think he gave it to JKH. JOC also gave JKH a very nice pre-64 375 which accounted for many lions.

I have tried leopard hunting but I can’t sit still and I get bored and I miss the drinks around the evening campfire. And I like my sleep. If I ever see one walking around he will be in trouble but that is not how most leopards are hunted.

Last edited by RinB; 03/27/21.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cats' nervous system makes them really perceptible to velocity. Leopards aren't very big, but a pissed off one will get your attention. I've never taken one but lost of folks I know have and when I eventually go whatever I'll take it'll be at least a 30 cal with an MV above 2800. It's ok to have a caliber that works when everything goes right, I prefer to have one that works when everything goes wrong..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With exit wounds and destroyed capes, maybe a Berger VLD out of something like a .243 or 25-06 might be ideal?
Seems grenading inside the critter would have the nice affect of anchoring the critter in place also.

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Never shot any big cats but I'd use whatever I hauled over there for plains game with the same scope and know exactly where it hits at all the ranges I'd use it at. Especially so on a blind to bait distance. I've shot more than a few feral cats in my time and on a cns shot anything works but failing a cns hit it's pretty damned amazing how far they can go. Listen to the ph and make it a 1 and done deal. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I agree with many others above: Any good expanding deer bullet from a normal "deer-caliber" is fine. Shooting skills are what's important.

My only experience was with a 404 Jeffery, but that because it's what I had in hand. However I saw it done with standard 308 rounds 2 other times and it was no different then shooting a large American Mountain Lion. Bang, jump, pile up and thrash for about 2-3 seconds.........dead.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Cats' nervous system makes them really perceptible to velocity. Leopards aren't very big, but a pissed off one will get your attention. I've never taken one but lost of folks I know have and when I eventually go whatever I'll take it'll be at least a 30 cal with an MV above 2800. It's ok to have a caliber that works when everything goes right, I prefer to have one that works when everything goes wrong..

Hence my thoughts on the 168 Gr TSX via FN Mauser 30-06 on my cheetah. Smacked at 50 yards in the backside of the neck. A freebee by the way....

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I will never hunt them because of my bank account, but if I did from a blind I would like my Marlin 45-70 launching the hard to find 300 grain Nosler Partition as fast as possible and a 30mm illuminated reticle SWFA 1-6x24 scope. Would put a big hole through that spotted beast!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
I will never hunt them because of my bank account, but if I did from a blind I would like my Marlin 45-70 launching the hard to find 300 grain Nosler Partition as fast as possible and a 30mm illuminated reticle SWFA 1-6x24 scope. Would put a big hole through that spotted beast!

I could like that. Never thought of putting one of them on my 45-70... Love that 300 PT too!

Semper Fi
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter

I could like that. Never thought of putting one of them on my 45-70... Love that 300 PT too!

Old buddy Bill Bagwell spoke of using a cast lead 330 grain Gould hollow point in his 45-70 for Leopard if he ever made it back to Africa, after what he told me it did to deer and a laying hen killing feral dog i have no doubt about it working on Leopard. smile

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my 375 H&H worked perfect

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I agree with Castnblast that the scope is more important than the rifle calibre. In five trips to Namibia I’ve never hunted Leopard due to lack of funds for the trophy fees, but I’ve hunted Spotted Hyenas, which is a quite similar hunt: close range bait, elevated blind, low light scenario. The only major difference is determining the gender of the quarry- either sex is good with the Spotted Hyena, while it’s males only with Leopards. My Winchester Model 70 in .300 WSM was plenty of gun, but my Leupold Vari-V III in 3.5X10X40 was totally inadequate in very low light/ no light scenarios. I simply couldn’t see the crosshairs. I ended up using the PH’s Rifle and scope combo.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BulletBud
I agree with Castnblast that the scope is more important than the rifle calibre. In five trips to Namibia I’ve never hunted Leopard due to lack of funds for the trophy fees, but I’ve hunted Spotted Hyenas, which is a quite similar hunt: close range bait, elevated blind, low light scenario. The only major difference is determining the gender of the quarry- either sex is good with the Spotted Hyena, while it’s males only with Leopards. My Winchester Model 70 in .300 WSM was plenty of gun, but my Leupold Vari-V III in 3.5X10X40 was totally inadequate in very low light/ no light scenarios. I simply couldn’t see the crosshairs. I ended up using the PH’s Rifle and scope combo.

What glass was on the PH's rifle?

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The PH’s scope had a large 50 mm objective lens and an illuminated reticle. He ended up shooting a Hyena at 6 yards just before it attacked him.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Shot my leopard with a .308 Win loaded with 180gr. Nosler Partition

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jorge,

Have seen one leopard lost when the shot was a LITTLE too far forward with a .300 Winchester Magnum and a good180-grain bullet at over 3100 fps. I know this because I was there, and helped follow it up. It fell out of the tree with a thump that made it sound very dead, but by the time we approached the blind there was only some blood and a little shoulder-
bone. We followed the blood trail for over an hour, in the dark, and while the leopard's eyes showed a couple of times in the flashlights, the blood-drops eventually ended. SEVERAL hunters went back the next morning, with trackers, and never found it.

From what several experienced PHs have told me, it's actually better to hit a leopard a little farther back than too far forward--which is true of many cats.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
9.3x62 Mauser with 286 gr soft points.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A similar situation happened to a friend of mine except his shot was the other way as nearer the guts. Cat ran off and they found him the next morning. The PH told him he was glad he was using a 300 instead of a lesser caliber. I get your point and we all have opinions and mine is using a 243 on a leopard and putting all one's eggs in the "all that matters is shot placement" basket is foolhardy. Sort of begs the question too as to why there are minimum calibers allowed for certain game?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com].

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I have seen that photo from THE PERFECT SHOT many times. In fact, the guy who shot the leopard spent quite a while looking through the PH's copy before we'd even had a leopard coming to a bait.

One of the interesting things about minimum caliber regulations is how much they vary. Many hunters assume (apparently because they've "heard" it) that .375 is the minimum caliber for dangerous game throughout Africa, when many jurisdictions don't even have a minimum. Plus, in some places the minimum only applies to visiting hunters, not residents.

I know three very experienced PHs who've killed lots of Cape buffalo with the 7mm Remington Magnum, .30-06 Springfield and .300 Winchester Magnum--and not with head shots, but typical chest shots. The guy who used the .30-06 killed around 500 buffalo with handloaded 180-grain Partitions, with never a problem. The guy who used the .300 Winchester used 180-grain Barnes TSXs, same deal. The guy who used the 7mm Remington was really old-school, only insisting on 175-grain bullets of whatever type, again with no problems.

It's also interesting to compare minimum-cartridge regulations in various American states. Montana has never had a minimum for big game, or at least it hasn't since I started hunting in 1966, apparently because the game department assumed hunters know what works--though I have never run into anybody who uses the .22 Long Rifle on elk, ever though it's totally legal.

I will also note, however, that .22 centerfires are pretty popular not only for antelope and deer but elk, though the elk hunters I've known tend to prefer larger 22s like the .220 Swift and .22-250. One of my local buddies is a retired outfitter who used a 7mm Remington Magnum during those years, mostly to help finish off elk his clients shot in the wrong place.. But after retiring he switched to the .22-250, and has killed dozens of elk with it, using typical behind-the-shoulder rib shots with 55-grain softpoints.

Our neighboring state Wyoming, however, has been micro-regulating minimums for many years. Until 2012 the minimum for any big game was a centerfire cartridge of at least .24 caliber, with a cartridge at least two inches long. The next year they backed off a little, saying that .22 centerfires could be used on deer, antelope, mountain lions and wolves, as long as the bullet weighed at least 60 grains, and the cartridge was at least two inches long. But they retained the .24 caliber regulation for elk, moose, mountain goat, bighorn sheep and black bear--which is somewhat puzzling, since bighorns aren't any harder to kill than deer, and some people say they die easier (which is my limited experience).

All of this tends to make me suspect that most minimum-cartridge regulations are formulated primarily by a few people who had personal prejudices, rather than a wide consensus.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A good sized Tom leopard is about the size of man. If you look at the thoracic anatomy of both when on all fours, the heart and lungs lies in a similar position. Unlike ungulates that stuff the heart and lungs between the shoulder blades due to bug stomachs, the heart- lungs tend to be a bit posterior to a line that runs between the center of the shoulders.

I use 9.3 x 62 with my last remaining stash of RWS 256 H-Mantles They act like Nosler Partitions so big hole as it enters and will punch through any angle. Leopards being man sized, plucking on from a tree with a .243 I'm sure would do the the deed, but make many PH's nervous to have their clients use that. Honestly, I've advise 7mm on up, with 30-06 or .300 mag being easy to shoot and effective. I like bigger, so I use bigger.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I strongly prefer a small caliber with lots of velocity over a big bore on leopard. Use a tough bullet to limit hide damage and you’re good. If done properly the shot is the easiest you’ll have on safari.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
A friend of mine’s father over in South Africa was a fairly famous Leopard hunter and now my friend is an avid leopard hunter. I have hunted with him (though never for leopard) and have been to several of his bait sites for other hunters. He is always very pleased when I show up with a rifle loaded with TSX bullets but has told me if we ever hunt leopard to NOT bring TSX ammo! I don’t know why he has such strong feeling against them but he does. I’m expecting a call from him in the next few days and will try to ask him about the topic.

My completely ignorant opinion would be that a 180 hornady from a 300H&H would make a damned fine leopard round. If I ever go I will most likely use my 308 and 150 bullet of some sort. Probably an accubond.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I asked my Tanzanian PH had i not brought a 400 H&H with 400gr A Frames for my light rifle how one of my 300 mags with 200gr Accubonds at max speed would be for Leopard, "Absolutely Perfect" he stated, and perfect for anything else here short of hippo and buffalo.

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Looking at hides and mounts (as well as some quick Google Fu), leopards seem to be no bigger than mountain lions. Are they thicker skinned/heavier boned or something, or is their dangerous reputation what drives the common suggestion of needing a bigger round for them?

While I wouldn't endorse it on leopard by any means, I have seen several mountain lions killed easily by .22 LRs and it seems like the shots people generally get on leopard are similar to a treed mountain lion. I am just curious as to why some PHs recommend rounds from the 7mm Mag and up.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
The way they stop whitetail makes me think a 358 Winchester loaded with
Remington 200 gr round nose might be the thing, but just for my use. They seem to open quickly. That is an opinion from a non-African hunter. A Savage 99 is easy for me to shoot with a 17" barrel and a fast reload. Even I don't think I could be fast enough for the second shot.

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Winston Churchill.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Speed most definitively is the way to kill cats I am told (and read). My friend Allen Day is on video with Mark Sullivan executing a one shot kill on a Cape Buffalo with his 300 Win Mag (his 458 had broken the extractor). Allen related to me Sullivan allowed him to do so because Allen could shoot.

Speaking of Sullivan, I asked him about two specific kills on his videos on lion, one with a 30-378 and a 378 (both Weatherbys of course). Both cats were huge but when shot with those calibers, they curled up and shivered as if electrified. He also has many other kill shots on lions with doubles, 375s and 400s, in fact, over a dozen. None of them dropped like with the two aforementioned Weatherbys.

I also have John Sharp on video with a client using a 303 on a Buffalo, took him about seven or eight shots, all perfectly placed to knock him down. Shot placement is of course paramount, but banking on just that and using a "good enough" caliber on game is asking for trouble and that goes for any game. Like everything, this is just my opinion, based on my knowledge and guided by experience (which ain't much).

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Looking at hides and mounts (as well as some quick Google Fu), leopards seem to be no bigger than mountain lions. Are they thicker skinned/heavier boned or something, or is their dangerous reputation what drives the common suggestion of needing a bigger round for them?

While I wouldn't endorse it on leopard by any means, I have seen several mountain lions killed easily by .22 LRs and it seems like the shots people generally get on leopard are similar to a treed mountain lion. I am just curious as to why some PHs recommend rounds from the 7mm Mag and up.

Shots on baited leopards tend to be quite a bit trickier than on a treed mountain lion. The range is typically somewhat longer, though normally not more than 50 yards, because you don't want to spook a leopard coming to the bait. While the shooting is usually done from what's essentially a benchrest inside a blind, the shooter often has to sit quite a while while the leopard approaches the bait tree, and then climbs up to feed--sothere's plenty of time for the shooter to become a little nervous. The shot also normally occurs around sunset.

You may also have noticed that not only do safari hunters have different opinions on leopard rifles, even if they've never shot one, but PH's do as well. Which is why it's always interesting to read safari hunters quoting the opinion of their PH on appropriate cartridges and rifles, as if he would be the ultimate authority.

But PH's have MANY different opinions on that subject. I know this partly from knowing quite a few PHs, but the most telling instance I can remember occurred during a month-long cull hunt in South Africa, including two "shifts" of a dozen hunters. This of course meant there had to be plenty of PHs in camp, and during one beer-filled evening several of them got into a loud "discussion" about rifles and cartridges. Their opinions were all over the place, and while his may have been partly because they'd all guided in several different areas, including other countries, in my experience such differences are common even among guides who specialize in elk or brown bear hunting.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They're not huge. An accurate 243 with a hollow point slug.

1Minute
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
In 2016, I had the good fortune to meet Lou Hallimore while I was in Zimbabwe. Mr Hallimore is the author (along with Bruce Woods) of the book "CHUI! A Guide to Hunting the African Leopard" I mention this because in his book are several quotations I feel are worth mentioning. Viz; "Volumes have been written about the selection of rifles for dangerous game." "As far as leopard is concerned, however, the choice is simple. Let the client use the rifle he's had the most experienced with, be it a .600 Nitro Express or a .270 Winchester. "Leopards are thin-skinned creatures, and if hit right don't take a lot of killing. I've personally seen them dropped with .22s (Although I don't advise this) The thing is to avoid the risk of overgunning your client. When the moment of truth arrives, a .270, .308 or .30-06 will be more than adequate providing the shot goes where it must." Skipping ahead in the narration..."As far as bullets are concerned, any proven expanding soft-point adequate for American deer will do the job. so will a solid, if put in the right place, but I prefer that a bullet used for leopard do as much damage to tissue as possible, for reasons that I think should be obvious."

I would suggest reading "CHUI"by Hallimore, and "INTO THE THORNS" by Wayne Grant.

Last edited by TSIBINDI; 04/02/21.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Shots on baited leopards tend to be quite a bit trickier than on a treed mountain lion. The range is typically somewhat longer, though normally not more than 50 yards, because you don't want to spook a leopard coming to the bait. While the shooting is usually done from what's essentially a benchrest inside a blind, the shooter often has to sit quite a while while the leopard approaches the bait tree, and then climbs up to feed--sothere's plenty of time for the shooter to become a little nervous. The shot also normally occurs around sunset.

You may also have noticed that not only do safari hunters have different opinions on leopard rifles, even if they've never shot one, but PH's do as well. Which is why it's always interesting to read safari hunters quoting the opinion of their PH on appropriate cartridges and rifles, as if he would be the ultimate authority.

But PH's have MANY different opinions on that subject. I know this partly from knowing quite a few PHs, but the most telling instance I can remember occurred during a month-long cull hunt in South Africa, including two "shifts" of a dozen hunters. This of course meant there had to be plenty of PHs in camp, and during one beer-filled evening several of them got into a loud "discussion" about rifles and cartridges. Their opinions were all over the place, and while his may have been partly because they'd all guided in several different areas, including other countries, in my experience such differences are common even among guides who specialize in elk or brown bear hunting.

Gotcha. Thanks for that explanation.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

Gotcha. Thanks for that explanation.

I might also add Tinman that a mountain lion, when shot ordinarily only wants to survive, like anything would. A leopard when shot ordinarily wants to use its remaining 8 lives trying to end yours.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
So in other words, their dangerous reputation.

Makes sense.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I shot both my leopard and lion with a .300 Win 180 gr TSX. I would use a 270 Win & 130 gr TSX without hesitation on a leopard. They are high strung & thin skinned and my next one will probably be with a bow.

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 04/02/21.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I missed my call from my ph buddy this morning but after my post last night I remembered him saying he shot his first leopard with a 243. I’m also a bit puzzled by his very strong negative opinion of “X” bullets on leopards, as I have killed many many animals from 15-20 lbs to probably 1700lbs with tsx and TTSX bullets. I have absolute faith in them and personally couldn’t imagine a much better combo than a 308 with a 130 TTSX at 3100fps or so..... but again, I have killed exactly ZERO leopards.

Regarding Tony Saprano using his bow..... WOW ! That would be awesome!..... but then we would have to talk about mechanical v fixed blades! 😂😂😂

I tried to get a cape buff hunt lined out short notice a few years ago with my bow but it fell through....

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Let me say I've been a fan and have used TSX exclusively since they came out back in the '00s (except for a Dall which I used a GS custom).

The problem some people have is the concern they won't open up and pencil through. I recovered 3 TSX I used for lion bait on eland, zebra and buffalo. My PH and I were both disappointed in the lack of the petals opening up. They didn't pencil through, but also didn't really open up. He suggested we ditch the 375 in favor of my 300 win, which we knew would open up on the lion.

We showed the bullets to other PHs, all of whom said "A Frames," which seem to be a favorite amongst every PH I've spoken with (and a bear outfitter on Kodiak). They were not disparaging the TSX & rather liked them more than most others, but they all made it known they prefer A frames.

I still use them in my 300/270 Win, but have replaced them with A frames in my 375 H&H and 500 nitro.

Last edited by Tony_Soprano; 04/02/21.
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Originally Posted by hatari
A good sized Tom leopard is about the size of man. If you look at the thoracic anatomy of both when on all fours, the heart and lungs lies in a similar position. Unlike ungulates that stuff the heart and lungs between the shoulder blades due to bug stomachs, the heart- lungs tend to be a bit posterior to a line that runs between the center of the shoulders.

I use 9.3 x 62 with my last remaining stash of RWS 256 H-Mantles They act like Nosler Partitions so big hole as it enters and will punch through any angle. Leopards being man sized, plucking on from a tree with a .243 I'm sure would do the the deed, but make many PH's nervous to have their clients use that. Honestly, I've advise 7mm on up, with 30-06 or .300 mag being easy to shoot and effective. I like bigger, so I use bigger.

Good observation and point on anatomy and the differences between ungulates and predators. Nicely done Sir.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I would encourage all to take a few minutes and take a look at the skeletal structures of all African plains game and review the vital organ placement relative to skeletal bone structures.

Various African Plains Game Shot Placement

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
.270 Win and 130 gr NPt. Dead before he hit the ground.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I know a PH in Tanzania who is very successful on Leopard and he recommends a .375 H&H loaded with the 260 grain Nosler Accubond. I suspect this is partly because the .375 is the minimum legal dangerous caliber in Tanzania.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I’ve not yet taken a Leopard, but I think a 30-06 with a 180 Partition would work well. I’d top it with my Leupold VXR 3-9x50 with the Firedot 4 reticle. Works great on hogs in low light, should be fine on Chui as well.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
.300WM with 165gr SST just because I've seen what it does with rear lung hits so many times. Unqualified opinion, of course.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
631 members (12344mag, 257_X_50, 1234, 257Bob, 06hunter59, 257man, 70 invisible), 2,920 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,666
Posts18,399,357
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.